Scott Wright is such a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzyGersman

I think our fanbase was unanimous in being very excited by Wright in the second half of last season with his excellent cameo appearances. It looked to have been a quality signing from Wilson and Gerrard because Wright had never caught the eye that much at Aberdeen. Through his initial substitute appearances it looked like the scouting had been bang on and we had found a really technically gifted player who was suited to our style of play. It also looked to have been a masterclass to have brought him in early in January 2021 so that he could bed himself in for the start of this current season.

He then started this season brilliantly with a genuinely superb strike against Livi. And since then it’s pretty much gone pear shaped. He’s a mouse on the park. Plays hide and seek and when he does get the ball it’s a massive anticlimax as he usually drives the ball forward and then makes the wrong decision or just punts the ball out the park.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.

I was so excited by him for this season. We’d heard how he had transformed his physique and showed glimpses of quality at the end of last seasons. It turns out that he was just thriving under zero pressure, coming off the bench in games where we were already winning with the league sewn up in February.

I can see only one option for next season which is to loan him out to another SPFL side and see whether he can improve his game and be a stand out. If he can impress in our league, it would then be worth considering bringing him back.

He is contracted until summer 2025.

He’s a back up squad filler.

In an ideal world, you’d have a youth product filling that position, but that doesn’t always work in.

He’s not ideal, but a cheap back up, helps the euro balance as well.

He should never start proper games though.

He's got glimpses of quality but I agree. Flatters to deceive all too often. I feel like he can get better but we can't really rely on him in big games.

Can tell his mind is always a step or two behind his body. Maybe needs to just take some time on the ball and pick his moments to use his pace.

He’s a back up squad filler.

In an ideal world, you’d have a youth product filling that position, but that doesn’t always work in.

He’s not ideal, but a cheap back up, helps the euro balance as well.

He should never start proper games though.
Not for me, he’s not good enough even for that. We need players who can win games if we have an injury or Covid crisis and tbh if we had either I’d rather we had Tavernier at RW before Wright.

He’s not taken any opportunity he has had under Gio. Yes he scored against Lyon but it was jammy as %^*& and he didn’t play particularly well.

He's a squad player at best he's probably better coming on a substitute. I think he's not good enough for us and should be moved on

Disappointing is harsh.

He's just a standard SPFL player, average with some moments here and there. It's only disappointing if you expect him to be more than what he is.
Well that’s the case for me and I’m sure many others who expected him to be a useful player for us on the back of last season’s substitute appearances.

I thought we’d found a gem when we brought him in. He’s turned into nothing more than a frustrating ball of energy, with very little football intelligence and terrible end product. I’d be delighted if he turned it round and proved me wrong, but I just can’t see him having a future at Rangers.

move him on in the summer, no loan deals just get rid of, the boy is a passenger

He’s been really poor of late. He does have ability though, we saw that last season in particular. When he signed I thought it might be a shrewd signing but it isn’t working out. You wonder how much patience Gio & co will have with him. Looks like we need better.

Not for me, he’s not good enough even for that. We need players who can win games if we have an injury or Covid crisis and tbh if we had either I’d rather we had Tavernier at RW before Wright.

He’s not taken any opportunity he has had under Gio. Yes he scored against Lyon but it was jammy as %^*& and he didn’t play particularly well.

We can’t afford to have a team of impactful players, unfortunately.

Think back to 9iar.

We still relied on Durie, ad

I have never been excited by him tbh.

Folk on here were touting him for a Scotland call-up not so long ago. Mental.
Same, genuinely have never seen it and had something in my gut after he didn’t have the confidence to score first game. Back in August folk seemed disappointed he hadn’t been called up. Not even close to Scotland.

Some over the top nonsense in this thread. He’s scored more goals than Hagi and Kent this season.
One in the league cup against who exactly? And one in a dead rubber against Lyon which was courtesy of a major deflection.

He is utterly nowhere near the quality of Kent and Hagi. The numbers are poor all round but Kent and Hagi are responsible for more goals and chances than Wright can probably only dream of.

I am of the opinion of it is one of this cases of trying too hard and because of that things aren't clicking into place. I really hope he can turn things around and start firing on all cylinders. I really do think there is a players in there but it's gonna take time, but at Rangers time is precious.

No one can’t say that he’s not been given a chance. He has played plenty football against varying levels of club and just never does enough. A Hearts is his level in reality.

Did get an assist today never gonna be a starter for us however is a good squad option doubt he's on a massive wage either

He simply did not grab his chance tonight. In terms of his Rangers career, he may just have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory? :confused:

I thought he would improve with our coaching. He bulked up massively when he came, which showed dedication but his end product just isn’t there, and it’s beginning to look like it might not arrive.

He has zero end product. Pace to burn, very direct more often than not, but currently nowhere near the level to be starting for Rangers. He needs to be playing football at his age or he'll stagnate. I'd be looking for a loan move for next season.

How many goals and assists for him now?

That's what it comes down to. Not like he's still bedding in either.

Did get an assist today never gonna be a starter for us however is a good squad option doubt he's on a massive wage either
I simply don’t think he’s a squad option mate. Squad options have to be types who you think can win us games at 1-1. We go to Tannadice next weekend. Just imagine if we had an injury or Covid crisis and had to start Wright at RW. It would be a massive massive blow to our chances of winning that game.

I’d loan him out to an SPFL club next season purely because we aren’t going to get a fee for him as he is contracted until 2025. Give him one last chance to shine in our league and if he impresses it could be a way back. At the very least he would probably go enough to attract bids from English league one clubs and maybe Championship clubs.

Feel for him he's just not good enough and I knew he wouldn't be. Still behind him 100 percent. We do need to bleed some of our own in because most players from dross teams if they are that good they will not play on out league. Although we did drop on with aribo kamara and morelos

I think our fanbase was unanimous in being very excited by Wright in the second half of last season with his excellent cameo appearances. It looked to have been a quality signing from Wilson and Gerrard because Wright had never caught the eye that much at Aberdeen. Through his initial substitute appearances it looked like the scouting had been bang on and we had found a really technically gifted player who was suited to our style of play. It also looked to have been a masterclass to have brought him in early in January 2021 so that he could bed himself in for the start of this current season.

He then started this season brilliantly with a genuinely superb strike against Livi. And since then it’s pretty much gone pear shaped. He’s a mouse on the park. Plays hide and seek and when he does get the ball it’s a massive anticlimax as he usually drives the ball forward and then makes the wrong decision or just punts the ball out the park.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.

I was so excited by him for this season. We’d heard how he had transformed his physique and showed glimpses of quality at the end of last seasons. It turns out that he was just thriving under zero pressure, coming off the bench in games where we were already winning with the league sewn up in February.

I can see only one option for next season which is to loan him out to another SPFL side and see whether he can improve his game and be a stand out. If he can impress in our league, it would then be worth considering bringing him back.

He is contracted until summer 2025.
Fek me, that's depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back