Scott Wright is such a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been excited by him tbh.

Folk on here were touting him for a Scotland call-up not so long ago. MentaI watched him v Ross County in the game before he signed. He missed 2 sitters and got hooked! Never been a fan of his. I wonder where these brilliant camies were that people see!

When we signed him, I'd honestly no recollection of ever seeing him play against us. So my expectations have been pretty low.

I think he's been underwhelming but I wouldn't write him off yet, he does have ability but seems a bit unsure of himself.

I think he’ll be on a fairly lengthy list of players to leave in the summer, thank him for his service and move on.

We must get away from signing squad players and push for quality.

Kirk Broadfoot was a decent SPFL player and we went to a European final with him in the team.
Irony overload as KB had far less natural ability as a Footballer but he made a far bigger contribution because he gave his all and maxed out his ability.

Rangers fans aren’t going to have a go at players who give their best and empty the tank trying.

Players who wander about waiting for something to happen rather than making the effort to facilitate it happening aren’t going to last.

Queue replies about Scott Wright maybe just trying too hard to impress…

Irony overload as KB had far less natural ability as a Footballer but he made a far bigger contribution because he gave his all and maxed out his ability.

Rangers fans aren’t going to have a go at players who give their best and empty the tank trying.

Players who wander about waiting for something to happen rather than making the effort to facilitate it happening aren’t going to last.

Queue replies about Scott Wright maybe just trying too hard to impress…

Where’s the irony? I literally said that successful rangers teams can have, and have had, decent SPFL players in them.

I’ve honestly never watched Wright and thought he’s not giving his all or not trying. I don’t know where you’re getting that from.

I just love FF with all the experts giving it ‘he’s dross’, ‘I knew before he got here’ pish….. just remember that‘s why you’re sat venting behind a laptop and not an employee of Rangers Football Club, or any other professional football club for that matter.

I just love FF with all the experts giving it ‘he’s dross’, ‘I knew before he got here’ pish….. just remember that‘s why you’re sat venting behind a laptop and not an employee of Rangers Football Club, or any other professional football club for that matter.
posters are simply commenting on a thread on a message board, why that makes them experts in your i have no idea, that little rant though :D

He has his uses off the bench. If we can get a bit of space behind a defence he can exploit it.

When a defence is sitting in as two banks of 5 he doesn't have the tools to unlock it.

Unfortunately we face the latter more often than the former.

I’ve no idea what his best position is, should he be playing more central rather than on the wings?

Football fans all over the world who dont play the game have been giving their opinions on players well over 100 years.

Thats what it is. Opinions.

Ps there was plenty on here pointing out pena was pish and pedro was a shit manager.

Not bad for folk who werent employees of rangers football club.

This thread is an absolute shocker, it really is!!

He played his part last season but hasn’t kicked on this one however, some of the comments are ridiculous!!!

There can be a multitude of reasons why it’s not working for him from personal to professional - who knows.

He isn’t the best but he also isn’t first choice, he is just a squad player that was a low cost punt on, I’m guessing, low wages. I don’t have any real issues with his role in our squad.

It's evident that the boy has pace and skill, but at the moment, is lacking that final ball. He's maybe needing to relax and try the easier things just now. Trying too hard often results in disappointment. There's a player there. Absolutely. He just needs the confidence to kick on, which he is lacking at the moment imo.

Yeah looked to have something about him when he joined but he has absolutely no creativity or end product and looks every inch an Aberdeen player imo.

The soundbites from our previous management team is laughable same as the fan media accounts who hype him up.

Move him on in the summer.

Imagine giving your opinion on a football forum.

Scott Wright isn’t good enough and I don’t care if Ross Wilson and Steven Gerrard thought he was - he clearly isn’t.

Aberdeen level.

He has his uses off the bench. If we can get a bit of space behind a defence he can exploit it.

When a defence is sitting in as two banks of 5 he doesn't have the tools to unlock it.

I think this is the main issue with him tbh. Every now and again, he can be useful. He's nowhere close to being a first pick, he can come off the bench and might be effective against certain teams for 25 minutes.

But it's such a limited degree of usefulness, it makes us all wonder if it's worth persevering with.

I don’t see the point in this thread other than to demean and further criticise the player.

It’s crystal clear he is going to be surplus to requirements and jettisoned come the summer.

He has no end product at all his stats are absolutely horrendous and we’ve given him time to prove himself. Alas he isn’t going to be good enough to be near our squad ever again, anyone can see, doesn’t really matter what we say on here the decision will be made.

What I don’t agree with is coming on here and criticising a player and crucifying him further, what if he reads the thread for example what will that do to his confidence? Not for me. He was a cheap signing and has given his all and I for one wish him well.

Wright is a player who wasn’t even a first pick for aberdeen.

Dunno why people expected him to be smash hit in a rangers strip.

Brandon barker with hair.

It was the guy off 4lads constantly ramming him down our throats at the start of the season

Then when we were rumoured to be looking at Olsen he said he was slow iirc haha

Best to have headless pace then I guess

I actually thought he’d be useful and have said it. But the more I see it’s just becoming clear that he’s nowhere near consistent enough delivers a 1 out of 5 or 6 performance. Plays well that game you pitch him in then dross

That cross that he overhit in the box was the final straw for me the other week

By “ramming it down our throats”, do you mean writing an optimistic opinion in a blog which you chose to open and read?

He was only ever going to be an impact player. I said this even through his periods of “decent” form, that he can’t start and his best work is done off the bench. I’m also not convinced he’s a right winger

Was wondering which "sow was whipped through the village" (as a saying over here in Germany goes) after yesterday`s game ... almost expected another Lundstram thread, even though he was not even playing.

Some people just can`t help it.

Thing is, the manager who sees him every day in training deems and deemed him good enough for game time. Interestingly enough, the last few games it was out on the right - well, we have the one and only, impeccable (2-goals all season) superstar named Kent on the left, after all. And lo-and-behold, on a freakish artificial surface in torrential rain, poor-guy Wright could make use of his pace and trickery out there on the right ...

When I saw the line-up, I was thinking: hey, Gio does what he promised and plays a different system to the 4-2-3-1 that has failed so admirably against the low-blocks in Scotland these last 4 or 5 years. On paper, that was a straight ...

Zukowski - Sands - Helander - Barisic

Amad - Ramsey - Davis - Wright

Roofe - Sakala​

... yet it turned out that the attack-line was actually a lone Roofe up top, a striker on the left, a left-winger on the right and a right winger through the middle. Well, it worked against Annan, but what a strange line-up still. But let`s talk about poor-guy Wright instead.

EDIT: It was Wright he blocked the goalie`s vision before Helander`s header and it was Wright who assisted Roofe, so a "hand" in two of three goals ain`t too bad.

Last edited:
I think our fanbase was unanimous in being very excited by Wright in the second half of last season with his excellent cameo appearances. It looked to have been a quality signing from Wilson and Gerrard because Wright had never caught the eye that much at Aberdeen. Through his initial substitute appearances it looked like the scouting had been bang on and we had found a really technically gifted player who was suited to our style of play. It also looked to have been a masterclass to have brought him in early in January 2021 so that he could bed himself in for the start of this current season.

He then started this season brilliantly with a genuinely superb strike against Livi. And since then it’s pretty much gone pear shaped. He’s a mouse on the park. Plays hide and seek and when he does get the ball it’s a massive anticlimax as he usually drives the ball forward and then makes the wrong decision or just punts the ball out the park.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.

I was so excited by him for this season. We’d heard how he had transformed his physique and showed glimpses of quality at the end of last seasons. It turns out that he was just thriving under zero pressure, coming off the bench in games where we were already winning with the league sewn up in February.

I can see only one option for next season which is to loan him out to another SPFL side and see whether he can improve his game and be a stand out. If he can impress in our league, it would then be worth considering bringing him back.

He is contracted until summer 2025.
That’s the attitude, support the team. Shameful post

Was wondering which "sow was whipped through the village" (as a saying over here in Germany goes) after yesterday`s game ... almost expected another Lundstram thread, even though he was not even playing.

Some people just can`t help it.

Thing is, the manager who sees him every day in training deems and deemed him good enough for game time. Interestingly enough, the last few games it was out on the right - well, we have the one and only, impeccable (2-goals all season) superstar named Kent on the left, after all. And lo-and-behold, on a freakish artificial surface in torrential rain, poor-guy Wright could make use of his pace and trickery out there on the right ...

When I saw the line-up, I was thinking: hey, Gio does what he promised and plays a different system to the 4-2-3-1 that has failed so admirably against the low-blocks in Scotland these last 4 or 5 years. On paper, that was a straight ...

Zukowski - Sands - Helander - Barisic

Amad - Ramsey - Davis - Wright

Roofe - Sakala​

... yet it turned out that the attack-line was actually a lone Roofe up top, a striker on the left, a left-winger on the right and a right winger through the middle. Well, it worked against Annan, but what a strange line-up still. But let`s talk about poor-guy Wright instead.

It was a strange line-up, granted however, you can’t say it wasn’t an attacking one

I don’t see the point in this thread other than to demean and further criticise the player.

It’s crystal clear he is going to be surplus to requirements and jettisoned come the summer.

He has no end product at all his stats are absolutely horrendous and we’ve given him time to prove himself. Alas he isn’t going to be good enough to be near our squad ever again, anyone can see, doesn’t really matter what we say on here the decision will be made.

What I don’t agree with is coming on here and criticising a player and crucifying him further, what if he reads the thread for example what will that do to his confidence? Not for me. He was a cheap signing and has given his all and I for one wish him well.
At the risk of sounding facetious, honestly if he is the type to go online, read a thread on FF and then have it affect his performances even further then he should be so far to %^*& from the club. This is an online forum where largely anonymous fans simply express opinions. I’d never boo or shout at a Rangers player during a game obviously. But pointing out a player is simply not good enough on a forum is hardly crossing line.

I am not writing the lad off just yet. However he is clearly struggling under the weight of wearing a Rangers jersey.
At the moment he is best used as an impact sub, but there are too many ahead of him for even a place on the bench.

Alex Lowry pushed him off a corner kick at one point. One believes he’s a Rangers player, the other doesn’t. It’s as simple as that.

I noticed that too mate. Wright Even shakes his head to tell him he’s not getting it when he first walks over. Camera cuts away and when it cuts back Lowry is over the ball and Wright is wandering away. Very telling

I’m not really sure what people were expecting from Wright. We picked him up for a nominal sum to fill a place in the squad.

He’s a backup player really and has come in at times to actually perform quite well.

Those expecting him to be on a par with the players he usually deputises for are only ever going to be disappointed.

Nothing more than a bit part player, and probably should be looking to move him on, the returns are shite.

I remember when we signed him the Aberdeen fans laughing and saying he doesn't create anything.

They're sheep shaggers though so who would listen?

We should always look at bringing in the best of the rest into the squad from the SPFL, preferably on bosmans.

If they work, great. If they don't, we can sell on and make a profit. Very low risk signings.

By “ramming it down our throats”, do you mean writing an optimistic opinion in a blog which you chose to open and read?
Just from Twitter posts mainly from what I recall.

Either way he was championing him and I guess there’s nothing wrong with that. But he’s clearly not up to it

We should always look at bringing in the best of the rest into the squad from the SPFL, preferably on bosmans.

If they work, great. If they don't, we can sell on and make a profit. Very low risk signings.

Agreed, also that it should be recognised reasonably quickly, particularly after a lot of opportunities, if not working out to move on whilst some profit is still a possibility. Then try again. Squad player and impact sub level is above where Wright is and looks capable of at Rangers. That’s game intelligence final third and weight of the shirt.

Agreed, also that it should be recognised reasonably quickly, particularly after a lot of opportunities, if not working out to move on whilst some profit is still a possibility. Then try again. Squad player and impact sub level is above where Wright is and looks capable of at Rangers. That’s game intelligence final third and weight of the shirt.
He'll probably be away in the summer unless he shows some level of improvement.

Would not be surprised if Wright and Itten have played their last game for us, they have not taken their chances and are not even making the bench now

Squad player. Every team needs them though for the odd game you need to call on them.

Bingo.

Plenty of players who have been useful supporting actors over the years without really ever hitting the heights of others, as someone who is presumably not on a huge wage and ticks the box for the Euro squads he serves a purpose.

He definitely hasn’t kicked on like I thought he might after some early promise but he’s not the first and won’t be the last that applies to.

I agree with you. He's agile and fast and can dribble, but he's not got much else in the way of end product. As you said, he'll have his use coming from the bench, but he's never a starter unless it's a throwaway game where we don't want to risk one of the better forwards getting injured.

It’s a message board, mate. It’s full of opinions of Rangers fans. No one is claiming to be an employee of the club LOL

When we signed him, I'd honestly no recollection of ever seeing him play against us. So my expectations have been pretty low.

I think he's been underwhelming but I wouldn't write him off yet, he does have ability but seems a bit unsure of himself.
I was the same when we signed him i had no idea who he was,hel end up back at aberdeen.

Weird thing it seems that fans especially on social media seem to think that calling a player good or bad and getting their prediction right makes them some sort of football genius , when in reality there opinion is normally guesswork either way.

Wouldn't say he's been a disappointment, had minimal expectations of him coming in and from the way Gerrard spoke about him when he signed, noting he had to embark on a lengthy gym programme and had levels to go up to be a regular for us, I'd guess neither did anyone at the club.

He's a player who's clearly got attributes to his game that are desirable and it's perfectly understandable why we took a punt on him in light of our need for more homegrown players for the European squad. FWIW, he's had far from the worst Rangers career and has I think improved as a player in his time here by a good bit. He's had enough opportunities by now that I think he has shown he's not what we need as a first choice and his lack of end product is a glaring problem, but I'd back him to have a decent enough career away from us, especially if he goes down south.

Fair enough he's not amounted to a regular for us, but he's far from the worst squad player and tbh I think it's been clear since he got here he was a good bit off the standard of Kent, Aribo etc who he's essentially vying for places with, so I find it hard to be disappointed that a free signing from Aberdeen hasn't kicked on to be a first team regular for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back