Scott Wright is such a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry just joining the thread but Scott Wright never has been or ever will be good enough for the Glasgow Rangers. The minute we we accept him then standards have dropped dramatically.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.
Has he really played that many games for us? How many games were late substitutions?

Agree with your point though, he's not doing it for us. Needs to up his effort significantly or be sold. He's no better than the likes of Greg Stewart.

Has he really played that many games for us? How many games were late substitutions?

Agree with your point though, he's not doing it for us. Needs to up his effort significantly or be sold. He's no better than the likes of Greg Stewart.
No I should have maybe clarified that the 33 games last season were during the course of the full season so include the games he played for Aberdeen.

Oh I’m very pleased with this evening, getting through comfortably with no injuries but I’m also quite happy to debate negatives.

And Wright is not a low cost punt. Firstly, he’s contracted until 2025 so he’s going to cost the club a lot of money for seemingly little productivity if he manages to somehow hang about without being sold before.

And secondly he’s an integral squad player for this season unfortunately, because if one of Kent, Sakala or Diallo is to get injured, Wright is on the bench at least and we will have no choice but to look to him as an option to come on and try to impact a game.
An average Aberdeen player should never have got that length of contract.
Maybe two and a half years.

Imminently.

No more SPFL plodders.

And yes, that also means Lewis Ferguson. FFS.

Standards, people!

Every great Rangers team has had a core of Scottish players, many of whom who’ve been signed from other Scottish clubs.

We should always be looking to sign the best Scottish talent from our league. John Souttar is a perfect example, for instance.

It was the guy off 4lads constantly ramming him down our throats at the start of the season

Then when we were rumoured to be looking at Olsen he said he was slow iirc haha

Best to have headless pace then I guess

I actually thought he’d be useful and have said it. But the more I see it’s just becoming clear that he’s nowhere near consistent enough delivers a 1 out of 5 or 6 performance. Plays well that game you pitch him in then dross

That cross that he overhit in the box was the final straw for me the other week
Another Heart and Hand were falling over, carried away in the 55 season excitement.

He's bang average and not the right level for us.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for I’m afraid. He looked good in spells during games last season and early this one, but really struggled for any consistency.

He’s done nothing to impress the new manager and could well be surplus to requirements in the summer.

I think our fanbase was unanimous in being very excited by Wright in the second half of last season with his excellent cameo appearances. It looked to have been a quality signing from Wilson and Gerrard because Wright had never caught the eye that much at Aberdeen. Through his initial substitute appearances it looked like the scouting had been bang on and we had found a really technically gifted player who was suited to our style of play. It also looked to have been a masterclass to have brought him in early in January 2021 so that he could bed himself in for the start of this current season.

He then started this season brilliantly with a genuinely superb strike against Livi. And since then it’s pretty much gone pear shaped. He’s a mouse on the park. Plays hide and seek and when he does get the ball it’s a massive anticlimax as he usually drives the ball forward and then makes the wrong decision or just punts the ball out the park.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.

I was so excited by him for this season. We’d heard how he had transformed his physique and showed glimpses of quality at the end of last seasons. It turns out that he was just thriving under zero pressure, coming off the bench in games where we were already winning with the league sewn up in February.

I can see only one option for next season which is to loan him out to another SPFL side and see whether he can improve his game and be a stand out. If he can impress in our league, it would then be worth considering bringing him back.

He is contracted until summer 2025.
Just not worked out.
Think it’s more a mental thing.
Than ability.

He will soon realize sadly he has blown a huge opportunity.
Hope it doesn’t crush him.

Again thinking of David Templeton.
That boy had the world? Ok.SPFL at his feet… if he hadn’t received that injury.

When you leave Rangers. Most of time, as many have found.
The only way.
Is down.

SG made a big issue of the fact he had put on a load of muscle during the close season. If that's the case, he fails to use it properly as he's easily knocked off the ball and dispossessed.

Straight line speed is great but how often is he afforded a clear run at defence? Needs to be cleared out in the summer, he is Aberdeen standard, no more.

The thing l wonder about him is that when SG signed him, he openly spoke about the development plans they had for Wright.
They believed in him, strongly, but wanted to work on parts of his game separately.

Which makes us wonder was this development plan abandoned as soon as SG left and GVB came in?
If so, absolute waste of time for all parties concerned.
If not then sadly the development plan isn't working and possibly their ambitions for him are never going to be realised at Rangers.
Overall, very disappointed in how his move has gone.

The thing l wonder about him is that when SG signed him, he openly spoke about the development plans they had for Wright.
They believed in him, strongly, but wanted to work on parts of his game separately.

Which makes us wonder was this development plan abandoned as soon as SG left and GVB came in?
If so, absolute waste of time for all parties concerned.
If not then sadly the development plan isn't working and possibly their ambitions for him are never going to be realised at Rangers.
Overall, very disappointed in how his move has gone.
It’s a fair question but Wright was shit for the bulk of the first part of this season under Gerrard anyway. Scored against Livi opening day and regressed since that day.

Wright started both games against Malmo for instance with Hagi and Sakala on the bench it’s actually sickening when you look back at the Malmo games. In the first leg away we started with fucking Itten and Wright. We were literally fucked there before a ball was kicked because both are now way out the picture unable to be included even on the bench in our last two league games. Yet we were relying on them to beat a tough Swedish side in order to progress to the CL playoff…

Just further rubber stamps how bad Wright is for us because I honestly couldn’t have told you that Wright started both games, I had to look that up to type this post. I genuinely couldn’t remember a positive thing Wright nor Itten did that tie.

Another three and a half years of paying him. He’s not good enough for us, no other Scottish side could afford his wages, so unless some English Championship side fancy a gamble, we’re stuck.

Another three and a half years of paying him. He’s not good enough for us, no other Scottish side could afford his wages, so unless some English Championship side fancy a gamble, we’re stuck.
Yet some posters on here are still adamant he was a “cheap punt”.

When you consider he was effectively swapped for Ross McCrorie it is even worse because whilst neither Wright nor Ross are good enough for Rangers, McCrorie is the superior player.

We will probably end up allowing Wright to leave for free.

Yet some posters on here are still adamant he was a “cheap punt”.

When you consider he was effectively swapped for Ross McCrorie it is even worse because whilst neither Wright nor Ross are good enough for Rangers, McCrorie is the superior player.

We will probably end up allowing Wright to leave for free.

It was a cheap punt though.

We swapped him for a player who wasn’t good enough for us and we’re probably paying him about £8k a week.

That means that over the entirety of the contract and any fees we may have had to pay, he’s probably going to cost us about £2million over 4.5 years. If you consider that we turnover about £50million per year (conservative estimate), our income over those 4.5 years will be well over £200million.

It was a cheap punt though.

We swapped him for a player who wasn’t good enough for us and we’re probably paying him about £8k a week.

That means that over the entirety of the contract and any fees we may have had to pay, he’s probably going to cost us about £2million over 4.5 years. If you consider that we turnover about £50million per year (conservative estimate), our income over those 4.5 years will be well over £200million.
Each to their own but I don’t think it’s a cheap punt. We are still pissing money down the wall with a need for directors to keep us in business so paying even 8k a week to a guy who is contributing %^*& all is not cheap IMO.

Each to their own but I don’t think it’s a cheap punt. We are still pissing money down the wall with a need for directors to keep us in business so paying even 8k a week to a guy who is contributing %^*& all is not cheap IMO.
What's Ramsey done since he came? Next to nothing but he doesn't get abuse. Is there a fee or wages involved? Personally I'd have promoted Lowry to the 1st team squad, he looks a great player needing 1st team games.

That money that we pissed down the wall delivered us 55 last season and could potentially deliver us 56 this season.

What's Ramsey done since he came? Next to nothing but he doesn't get abuse. Is there a fee or wages involved? Personally I'd have promoted Lowry to the 1st team squad, he looks a great player needing 1st team games.
Bit of a bizarre observation because Ramsey is just getting started and has been signed as a player who can be the difference in tight games and help us win the league.

If Ramsey was to play poorly or get injured and represent a waste of money then of course that signing can be criticised.

Being a little facetious now because I obviously recognise that. But Wright has contributed nothing to that and that’s the point of my thread.

He wasn’t brought in to contribute immediately though.

He was brought in as a “cheap punt” because the management team liked aspects of his game and thought given time and some good coaching they could develop him into a productive player for Rangers.

Maybe the issue is that your expectations were too high for Wright from the start. Not every player is brought in to be an automatic first pick, some players need more time than others.

He wasn’t brought in to contribute immediately though.

He was brought in as a “cheap punt” because the management team liked aspects of his game and thought given time and some good coaching they could develop him into a productive player for Rangers.

Maybe the issue is that your expectations were too high for Wright from the start. Not every player is brought in to be an automatic first pick, some players need more time than others.
Yes that’s a factor and I mention that in the OP. His promise in his substitute appearances last season really made me think he would be a massive player for us this season contributing with decent assist and goal numbers.

I also believe that the previous management genuinely viewed him as a potential starter this season. I know we were affected by injury to Hagi, Morelos’ international absence and Sakala being a raw new signing at the start of the season. But Gerrard put faith into Wright as a starter in both Malmo games and he was crap against them.

Yes that’s a factor and I mention that in the OP. His promise in his substitute appearances last season really made me think he would be a massive player for us this season contributing with decent assist and goal numbers.

I also believe that the previous management genuinely viewed him as a potential starter this season. I know we were affected by injury to Hagi, Morelos’ international absence and Sakala being a raw new signing at the start of the season. But Gerrard put faith into Wright as a starter in both Malmo games and he was crap against them.

What would you consider decent assist and goal numbers to be?

I think they brought Wright in as a long term project to try and get him ready to replace Kent for when we eventually sold him (probably the end of this season).

It’s not Wrights fault he wasn’t ready to start champions league qualifiers. Our entire pre season was a mess.

Another free punt on low wages getting slated by FF - Groundhog Day

Limited player, knew that from the moment he signed, imo he’s actually exceeded expectations this season so I’ll accept him being behind Roofe, Diallo and Hagi in the pecking order considering he’s likely on < £10k p/w

A reluctant like for the OPs comment from me. I had high hopes but I think he was riding on a crest of a wave last season. Performances have dropped and we’ve realised that we’ve signed another average SPL player. Really when you look at it can we be surprised? Did anyone watch Aberdeen in recent seasons and think he was a standout? If we are buying players from SPL clubs it needs to be the best of the best (Jess from Aberdeen, McCann from Hearts and hopefully Souttar from Hearts). We need to move away from project SPL players because I truly believe we should just promote from the B team instead.

I’m going against the set narrative here, I think there’s a decent player in Scott Wright and this thread will be made to look a bit over the top.

I’m going against the set narrative here, I think there’s a decent player in Scott Wright and this thread will be made to look a bit over the top.
You are absolutely right, there is a decent SPFL, Aberdeen/Hearts type player in Scott Wright.

Unfortunately for Scott Wright and more specifically Rangers, thats nowhere near being nowhere near good enough.

1000 chances and never taken them all.

Him playing just steals game time from other players who actually deserve to wear the shirt or get a chance to prove they do.

You are absolutely right, there is a decent SPFL, Aberdeen/Hearts type player in Scott Wright.

Unfortunately for Scott Wright and more specifically Rangers, thats nowhere near being nowhere near good enough.

Him playing just steals game time from other players who actually deserve to wear the shirt or get a chance to prove they do.
He came on against Dundee Utd and changed the 1-0 game. He will be a decent player for us.

He offers very little. I Think being a Rangers player is just too big for him.
Probably best for him and The Club if he is moved on... If another club could be found for him of course.

Kirk Broadfoot was a decent SPFL player and we went to a European final with him in the team.

After last night's game what my mates were discussing is apart from Alfie we have no other centre forward that can be reliable really hope a fair chunk of cash gets thrown towards a good striker or Ross Wilson has a good OOC lined up

I think people are being a bit disrespectful describing him as rubbish etc.

He needs to improve his end product and regain his confidence. I hope he does so.
This is it for me as well he looks a player devoid of confidence at the moment could see that against Livingston. The ability is definitely there but the end product isn't which is his biggest issue.

I didn't see the first half last night only 2nd half which was a non event but he's prevented the keeper from getting near Helander's header and then the assist for Roofe's goal as well. He's a squad player he's never going to be consistent if he's not playing every week.

After last night's game what my mates were discussing is apart from Alfie we have no other centre forward that can be reliable really hope a fair chunk of cash gets thrown towards a good striker or Ross Wilson has a good OOC lined up
Morelos is always going to be number 1, pointless spending millions on a back up. For all we’ll use him for

It was the guy off 4lads constantly ramming him down our throats at the start of the season

Then when we were rumoured to be looking at Olsen he said he was slow iirc haha

Best to have headless pace then I guess

I actually thought he’d be useful and have said it. But the more I see it’s just becoming clear that he’s nowhere near consistent enough delivers a 1 out of 5 or 6 performance. Plays well that game you pitch him in then dross

That cross that he overhit in the box was the final straw for me the other week

I find that kind of artificial, brute-forced fandom utterly cringeworthy. Hence why I have most of these accounts muted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back