Scott Wright is such a disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what annoys me when people say low risk punts

They actually aren’t when we’re stuck with them for 3/4 years even paying them an average of 5k a week after their signing on fees, transfers fees (albeit minimal) - added up over the course, 3 or 4 of these players cost a fortune.

I understand it’s a squad game but that’s what the likes of Lowry, King, McCann etc could come in to help with next to the more established squad players like Roofe, Sakala, Balogun etc
Absolutely a lot of money wasted on bang average players

If he had any end product he'd be a nice player to have in the squad. You'd think he could improve, but you have to say he's been here long enough already. Time to buck up your ideas, Scott.

Sometimes players thrive and improve like Jack and Kamara.

Then there's the Hasties, Jones and I hate to say it - Wright's that come to us.

Provided we aren't spending millions on bringing them in I'm fairly relaxed at taking a chance on them.

The length of contract is more of a concern tbh. I think that length is an error imo albeit hindsight is always a wonderful thing.

If he had any end product he'd be a nice player to have in the squad. You'd think he could improve, but you have to say he's been here long enough already. Time to buck up your ideas, Scott.
He’ll end up at a club like Sunderland. Some sort of League One club.

I simply don’t think he’s a squad option mate. Squad options have to be types who you think can win us games at 1-1. We go to Tannadice next weekend. Just imagine if we had an injury or Covid crisis and had to start Wright at RW. It would be a massive massive blow to our chances of winning that game.

I’d loan him out to an SPFL club next season purely because we aren’t going to get a fee for him as he is contracted until 2025. Give him one last chance to shine in our league and if he impresses it could be a way back. At the very least he would probably go enough to attract bids from English league one clubs and maybe Championship clubs.
Your not gonna get the same quality from your reserves that you are from the first 11 we need to have squad players

I think our fanbase was unanimous in being very excited by Wright in the second half of last season with his excellent cameo appearances. It looked to have been a quality signing from Wilson and Gerrard because Wright had never caught the eye that much at Aberdeen. Through his initial substitute appearances it looked like the scouting had been bang on and we had found a really technically gifted player who was suited to our style of play. It also looked to have been a masterclass to have brought him in early in January 2021 so that he could bed himself in for the start of this current season.

He then started this season brilliantly with a genuinely superb strike against Livi. And since then it’s pretty much gone pear shaped. He’s a mouse on the park. Plays hide and seek and when he does get the ball it’s a massive anticlimax as he usually drives the ball forward and then makes the wrong decision or just punts the ball out the park.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.

I was so excited by him for this season. We’d heard how he had transformed his physique and showed glimpses of quality at the end of last seasons. It turns out that he was just thriving under zero pressure, coming off the bench in games where we were already winning with the league sewn up in February.

I can see only one option for next season which is to loan him out to another SPFL side and see whether he can improve his game and be a stand out. If he can impress in our league, it would then be worth considering bringing him back.

He is contracted until summer 2025.
cheer up ffs, comfortable cup with and your picking points with a low cost punt.

He was quiet tonight & must seek to do better but he can contribute moving forward.

Scottish players are essential for Rangers, I repeat , moving forward.

I'm not going to go in two footed on the boy but, suffice to say, I'm not really sure what Gerrard, and or Wilson, saw in him.

Nowhere near what was needed to take us forward.

Because we have had many instances in the recent past of picking up SPFL/SPL players who you wouldn’t think are anywhere near good enough for us (Broadfoot for instance) who yet turn out to be fairly useful players. I thought his promise last season was quite clear to see.

Whenever a team line up was announced by the club Twitter the comments would be dominated by replies screaming for Wright to start.
Yes and most of those players have been regulars for the teams they had been playing for.

Broadfoot had played in most of St Mirren league games for the 4 seasons before we signed him. Wright was never a regular for the sheep and I don't know one of their fans who was sorry to see him go

cheer up ffs, comfortable cup with and your picking points with a low cost punt.
Oh I’m very pleased with this evening, getting through comfortably with no injuries but I’m also quite happy to debate negatives.

And Wright is not a low cost punt. Firstly, he’s contracted until 2025 so he’s going to cost the club a lot of money for seemingly little productivity if he manages to somehow hang about without being sold before.

And secondly he’s an integral squad player for this season unfortunately, because if one of Kent, Sakala or Diallo is to get injured, Wright is on the bench at least and we will have no choice but to look to him as an option to come on and try to impact a game.

Hes just not good enough, he started the season off quite well but he seemed to get taken out, hes full of pace but no end product and it seems to be the case regardless of the quality of the opposition

Reminds me of Middleton slightly in that his first and only thought is to put his head down and knock the ball past someone to outrun them. Seems to either end up in traffic or overrun the ball too often.

Would never class him as lazy but he doesn't seem to put the effort in to go and try get involved in the game. He can't surely be satisfied with the way he played tonight, fair enough everyone can't always be in the game but he always seemed to be away from the action

Started reading this thread and soon got fed up with the usual not good enough stuff.IMO he has a good part to play.Hewould have been a far better option on the right wing against the tramps.
He is strong and direct a d can make a contribution if given a chance

Oh I’m very pleased with this evening, getting through comfortably with no injuries but I’m also quite happy to debate negatives.

And Wright is not a low cost punt. Firstly, he’s contracted until 2025 so he’s going to cost the club a lot of money for seemingly little productivity if he manages to somehow hang about without being sold before.

And secondly he’s an integral squad player for this season unfortunately, because if one of Kent, Sakala or Diallo is to get injured, Wright is on the bench at least and we will have no choice but to look to him as an option to come on and try to impact a game.

If buts and maybes, chill out you miserable bastard.

Can't say I like these threads lambasting these guys Itten as well at the moment. Can't do anything for there confidence if they so happen to get feedback from this forum.
I have my doubts if both are up to it however would prefer to make a proper judgement at end of season.
There is no need to call them worst ever or rubbish.

yet we have people on here constantly posting we should be buying Lewis Ferguson, Dykes, Doig and some boy from Ross Country for every Kamara there are 4 or 5 that don't workout

Wright has never grabbed his chance. Has shown glimmers but never consistently offers something. For all his faults, Brandon Barker could at least get the odd assist and goal. To still look average against Annan isn’t good.

Found it strange when sheep mates of mine weren’t at all fussed when he left them. Can see why they felt like this. Simply not good enough and akin to another Brandon barker signing.

I was hoping that he’d make a similar impact to what Neil McCann made for us, Disappointing to say the least.

Wouldn't expect him to be banging 'em in for the club but two assists (Cove last season and Alloa today) in 36 appearances (22 as a sub) makes pretty grim reading.

I think our fanbase was unanimous in being very excited by Wright in the second half of last season with his excellent cameo appearances. It looked to have been a quality signing from Wilson and Gerrard because Wright had never caught the eye that much at Aberdeen. Through his initial substitute appearances it looked like the scouting had been bang on and we had found a really technically gifted player who was suited to our style of play. It also looked to have been a masterclass to have brought him in early in January 2021 so that he could bed himself in for the start of this current season.

He then started this season brilliantly with a genuinely superb strike against Livi. And since then it’s pretty much gone pear shaped. He’s a mouse on the park. Plays hide and seek and when he does get the ball it’s a massive anticlimax as he usually drives the ball forward and then makes the wrong decision or just punts the ball out the park.

4 goals in 24 games this season and last season 3 goals in 33 games. Zero assists. He doesn’t create goals.

I was so excited by him for this season. We’d heard how he had transformed his physique and showed glimpses of quality at the end of last seasons. It turns out that he was just thriving under zero pressure, coming off the bench in games where we were already winning with the league sewn up in February.

I can see only one option for next season which is to loan him out to another SPFL side and see whether he can improve his game and be a stand out. If he can impress in our league, it would then be worth considering bringing him back.

He is contracted until summer 2025.
I think this is a little harsh. I think the boy gives his all. He's a decent SPL level player. He's just not good enough to be a squad player with us. Far from the worst I've seen in ability or workrate

I was a fan and I thought he would get better, but he just seems to have stuck where he is, a decent sub - I guess.

People get over-excited at very little and swing to an extreme. There were posters putting him ahead of Kent, for example.

He’s an SPL squad player and he’ll contribute here and there. People should rein in their expectations.

No it isn't.

Jamie Murphy pre-injury was a much better player than Scott Wright.

The likes of Candeias and Windass were far from my favourites but better than Wright.
Yeah, would go with that. I was thinking peak banter years and thought you meant Fraser Aird.

He looks to have regressed at an alarming rate.
His control and lack of end product consistently let him down and he has clearly failed to take advantage of any of his recent first team opportunities.
He’ll be lucky on present form to even make the bench for the remainder of the season.

He looked excellent in games last season.

Unfortunately he's regressed massively this season and he's now fighting to salvage some sort of career here.
Closed doors may have played a part in playing well last season.

Never been convinced. Fast, but not much else. Decision making is awful, and breaks up our play constantly through either being on his @rse or petty fouls on opponents. Shame really, he was one I really hoped would work out.

Wasn't a regular in a poor Aberdeen team, has pace but nothing else turned out the way I thought he was going to

I was surprised when we signed him and he has been pretty much exactly as I expected. If anything, he’s been a little better than I expected him to be.

He’s an average SPL player who can play his part over the course of the season as a role player. He’s not, and never will be, good enough to be a regular starter for us but I definitely wouldn’t write him off as a squad player.

He’s going through a terrible run of form at the moment though and his confidence look shot. Some of the over the top comments from some of our fans are not needed.

Looked good in spells but not done it enough. Games like today should have been chance for him against easy opposition, get a good performance, get assists or a goal. The conditions didn't help but he needs to be involved in goals if he is going to be a forward player with rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back