Scottish rugby players who support or are fans of our great club?

to be honest, I don’t understand the rules and rudiments of the game well enough to get into a heated debate with anyone. I thought to my novice eye that Russell did ok, apart from his Morelos moment.

Sorry mate, went off at a tangent man, no idea why. I'm a big Russell fan though. Apologies about that haha. Love that he's a bear. I also enjoy being able to get right behind the national rugby team as well. Haven't had that connection to the football team for most of my life.

Wow we really all do see different things eh? A yellow for stupidity. Kicked great territory away 3x. Kicked straight into touch on a good counter which cost us 30yds of territory. Called for the drop goal which got charged down and could have cost us the game. Missed a penalty and a conversion. That's off the top of my head. I was going mental at him during the game lol. Hogg was my motm. His kicking was superb.

I suppose its all about opinions but that was how I saw it. Great to get the win though. First at Twickenham in my lifetime. Unreal
Stuart Hogg was man of the match by the length of twickers, simply world class

It's all about him and not about the squad and he's always been like that, stupid sin binning put our team under pressure too, I don't care if he bangs a drum on the 12th or not he's not my man, seen more than enough of him in a scotland shirt. Fantastic result though.
I liked the way at the start of the 2nd half despite being a man down we took the game to England again. Quite superb by Scotland. I'm just an armchair fan but were England prepared for this match? Didn't look like it to me.

Stuart Hogg was man of the match by the length of twickers, simply world class

That was my thinking mate. Hes superb. Genuinely world class on his day and he was today. Tbh, this is the most talented group we've had for about 2 decades. If France weren't so good I'd fancy us to win it, but going to Paris will be tough

Naw don’t give in, just accept that at times Morelos has been a prick, at times in seasons gone by his poor discipline has meant he has missed important games for us that probably cost us victories. His indiscipline this year has meant so far he has missed 18% of our League games.
Calling players pricks? Stay classy...

Naw don’t give in, just accept that at times Morelos has been a prick, at times in seasons gone by his poor discipline has meant he has missed important games for us that probably cost us victories. His indiscipline this year has meant so far he has missed 18% of our League games.
With Russell today and his sin binning I immediately thought of real Morelos similarities also.

I liked the way at the start of the 2nd half despite being a man down we took the game to England again. Quite superb by Scotland. I'm just an armchair fan but were England prepared for this match? Didn't look like it to me.
We absolutely did that ,and I think that surprised them.

Rugby is for absolute gimps.

In all honesty of tried to watch it so many times and I just can’t get in to it.

Hibby I have family/friends in Hawick thats what they told me. Jim Renwick was a Jambo
See when I started this thread, I asked for people who knew 100 % if they were bears or otherwise, not heresay !! thats what we deal in on here ...facts

See when I started this thread, I asked for people who knew 100 % if they were bears or otherwise, not heresay !! thats what we deal in on here ...facts
Just stopped my last post because my family and friends in Hawick must have been talking nonsense.

Jonny Gray is 100% a bear, I think Ritchie is too. Definitely Jonny though. Some player as well one of the best 2nd rows in the 6 nations

Here's a fact...Finn Russell was MOTM
Absolute tosh , could have cost us the match, a poor kick or kicks can't remember to increase our score , and a stupid trip resulting in a 10 minute sin bin for him. And that stupid wee laddies grin at the yellow card , he plays for himself first and scotland second, Like I said hogg by a mile.

Loved watching Scotland beating England today at rugby, I went to murrayfield in 2006 ???? I think !

Scotland vs England , hearts had beat partick thistle in the Scottish cup earlier that day , I drove into Georgie as the jambos were driving out , I met an old/ new poster on here , liberton chaz in John Robertson’s pub in gorgie Rd , & we enjoyed the hearts fans singing some Christian marching music . Then went to murrayfield Scotland beat England for about the only time in Ten years , lovely stuff , practically no point in ever going back .

Last edited:
If you only deal in facts, 'could have' doesn't come into it. His misses didnt cost us, however his play did contribute to the win. Fact
Jesus, even my surrey (England diehards) mates said hogg was on a different planet from everyone else on that pitch, didn't doesn't matter he plays for himself first !! its an opinion of mine thats all.

Here's a fact...Finn Russell was MOTM
Says who, ? not ITV
I know nothing about Rugby but you seem to have a hatred for Russell, is it personal
It's not personal no, it's what I've picked up over the years watching him and us, like I said before there's shades of morelos with russell, and I don't give a toss if it upsets people on here but Alfredo plays for himself alot of the time and to fk with the team, and Russell reminds me alot of him, I like the fact he takes chances ,although sometimes you have to screw the head.

Says who, ? not ITV

It's not personal no, it's what I've picked up over the years watching him and us, like I said before there's shades of morelos with russell, and I don't give a toss if it upsets people on here but Alfredo plays for himself alot of the time and to fk with the team, and Russell reminds me alot of him, I like the fact he takes chances ,although sometimes you have to screw the head.
So ok for Russell to take chances but not Morelos?
You say deal in facts but all you have offered is opinions. Some of which are absolute nonsense btw. Time for your bed old chap

Says who, ? not ITV

2nd person now to land a dig on Morelos over Russell. What chance does Alfie actually have man.

There are no similarities between the 2 other than both being match winners on their day. Not sure why he's being brought into it though... its not a fact after all brother B-)

John Beattie of BBC Scotland is a bear mainly as a result of the School he attended when he came here from South Africa when he was a youngster. Said as much on his excellent drivetime show on Radio Scotland a few years ago.

Says who, ? not ITV

Motm debate settling:

Russell was listed as Motm on the BBC website.

Hogg was announced Motm on itv.

The official Guinness 6 nations Motm award went to Hogg (got me 15 points in the official 6 nations fantasy rugby game I'm playing ;))

Hopefully that settles your weird 2am argument.

Personally I'd have given it to Cameron Redpath, but everyone in blue (Russell included) had an excellent game. That didn't stop me cursing them at 79 minutes when we lost possession with that stupid drop goal attempt. Gifting them one more chance at a try needlessly and sending in flashbacks of their last minute try in 2019 to deny us our last victory. Thankfully no damage and justice done from the ridiculous drawed game.

I saw John Jeffrey the big Kelso Flanker (NOT rhyming slang) in the East Enclosure a few time some years ago.

Last edited:
Russell certainly plays on the edge with a high risk factor in most things he does with ball in hand, he is a maverick and his 2nd performance at Twickenham last time when we were 31-0 down at half time was majestic.

I think I'm right in saying that's 4 games in a row unbeaten against England for Finn. 3 wins (2 for Scotland & 1 with Barbarians) and a draw (last time at Twickenham). I can't think of a recent Scottish player who can match that.
We can argue about his individual performance during games, but his presence on the field lifts the confidence of the whole team.

Sorry mate, went off at a tangent man, no idea why. I'm a big Russell fan though. Apologies about that haha. Love that he's a bear. I also enjoy being able to get right behind the national rugby team as well. Haven't had that connection to the football team for most of my life.
Was he the fella that kept missing easy kicks?

Russell certainly plays on the edge with a high risk factor in most things he does with ball in hand, he is a maverick and his 2nd performance at Twickenham last time when we were 31-0 down at half time was majestic.
I agree Russell was great that day, and he's a very good player on his day, although yesterday as someone alluded to the drop goal attempt could have went so wrong.

tenor.gif

This is a great thread. Turned into a debate about who was man of the match against England, people using any opportunity to have a dig at Morelos, someone having a dig about Edinburgh and the Borders and getting a few bites and the OP throwing his toys out the pram because people are suggesting names without having a photocopy of someone’s season book to prove its 100% fact!

My dad used to work with an ex Scotland rugby player David Soul , definite bear from what I recall him telling me . I’m not into the game but I do watch the big matches from time to time , scotland did well yesterday , makes a pleasant change

MOTM debate. For me I thought Redpath and Watson were both outstanding. Hogg did ok and Finn was Finn.

Back