Scottish rugby players who support or are fans of our great club?

This is a great thread. Turned into a debate about who was man of the match against England, people using any opportunity to have a dig at Morelos, someone having a dig about Edinburgh and the Borders and getting a few bites and the OP throwing his toys out the pram because people are suggesting names without having a photocopy of someone’s season book to prove its 100% fact!
Correct, here's the latest, hogg a bear/no he's no he goes to see hibs, we pride ourselves having good stock, leave the "bob marley was a good selik man, used to listen to radio clyde " shit to the darkside.

This is a great thread. Turned into a debate about who was man of the match against England, people using any opportunity to have a dig at Morelos, someone having a dig about Edinburgh and the Borders and getting a few bites and the OP throwing his toys out the pram because people are suggesting names without having a photocopy of someone’s season book to prove its 100% fact!
Add in the rugby’s for dicks brigade too. Unnecessary.

John Allan played for the Durban Rangers supporters team in the Sunday league competition and all his family were good Rangers supporters.

Stuart Hogg is a bear

He is most definitley not a bear. He sat in a West End pub in Glasgow singing anti-Rangers songs, after we had lost the cup final to Hibs.

Not singing Hibs songs, but singing songs about Warburton and abusing the Gers. No one else was interested.

He was a complete embarrassment.

Jonny Hill (England second row and Jonny Gray's Exeter team mate) said in an interview the other day that Gray is a rangers supporter. He wasn't asked about it either, just randomly mentioned it. Love the idea of Gray talking up the Gers in the Exeter changing room full of private school rugby players!

My dad used to work with an ex Scotland rugby player David Soul , definite bear from what I recall him telling me . I’m not into the game but I do watch the big matches from time to time , scotland did well yesterday , makes a pleasant change
That him that had the silver lady?

Andy Nicol scrum half now commentator - we were talking to him in Manchester 2008. He was there with a player that my mate knew from Kilmarnock.

Finn Russell is a Rangers man.

I'm pals with Peter and George Horne. They are only interested in rugby.

Oooo rugby fwiends.
Growing up Peter and George both followed their Dad Gary, and always loved the dark side. Probably binned it as they realised they could make it in Rugby and did not want the baggage.

I have no opinion on it because I don’t know enough about the game.

We are dealing with facts in this thread though.
Are we ?

The fact is Hogg is a Ranger but no he’s a hibee, he’s a bear , he hates the bears is all I’m seeing.

Fact is BBC got that wrong!

My mate put a picture of him and Finn Russell on Facebook yesterday in the Members Lounge at Ibrox so I’m presuming he’s a Rangers man.

The MOTM yesterday was Hogg, definitely. Who is, for the record, definitely a Hibs supporter despite being from the very staunch Borders town of Hawick. I think that’s most of the thread covered :)
Hawick still has a big Rangers support in Hawick however in the 70's there were a handful of tims but there are quite a lot now. Sorry for posting OP just to talking to cousin in Hawick who was saying it was snowing badly but i said i would wait till i see the weather on the TV to make sure because what she was talking nonsense and it was just hearsay

Last edited:
At UEFA cup final the then Scotland captain Jason White sat behind me with his mates, he was a Sale Sharks player he’s a bear and a giant

Am sure at some point Rangers used to let the rugby squad have access to Murray Park (as was) facilities for training etc

It's all about him and not about the squad and he's always been like that, stupid sin binning put our team under pressure too, I don't care if he bangs a drum on the 12th or not he's not my man, seen more than enough of him in a scotland shirt. Fantastic result though.
He's the only thing, in all of rugby, worth watching.

Surprised Gavin Hastings is a Jambo as he has a picture of Hateley's celebration after scoring against the sheep when we won the league on the last day of the season at Ibrox. I know because I saw it.

John Beattie of BBC Scotland is a bear mainly as a result of the School he attended when he came here from South Africa when he was a youngster. Said as much on his excellent drivetime show on Radio Scotland a few years ago.

His boy Johnny is a Scotland internationalist, and his daughter Jenny is too, at football.

Im sure she played for Celtic women before going down south.

They went to Jordanhill School.

Kenny Logan is a Rangers man. Dunno about this national team as half weren't born here.

Hastings is a jambo and Hogg is a hibbee
Used to know Scott Hasting. Definite Jambo.
Met him and his brother at Tynecastle the night they beat us in the cup.
Gavin is a big lad, had to duck to get through turnstile.
At the same time, I knew Armstrong and Chalmers.
One was a bear, the other a Hearts man.
Despite spending hours in their company over a few years, I cannot remember who was what!

As someone who has been in and around rugby for the last 35years, playing and coaching.... Ive found the majority of the lads up and down the country have Rangers leanings.

Finn Russell frustrates me alot and so was price at the weekend.

Knowing they're bears they wont be getting abuse in the future :D

I'm friendly with both Chris Paterson and Gregor Townsend, both bluenoses.

Gregor was an excellent footballer growing up, played for Hutchie Vale in Edinburgh before opting for rugby.

John beattie was from Borneo not south africa, The majority of the no 10s in rugby could also play football

A lot of private school attendees on here it would seem. Bar Gavin Hastings, Kenny Logan and Weir I'd struggle to pick out a Scottish rugby player past or present. I could very well have one sitting next to me.

Used to know Scott Hasting. Definite Jambo.
Met him and his brother at Tynecastle the night they beat us in the cup.
Gavin is a big lad, had to duck to get through turnstile.
At the same time, I knew Armstrong and Chalmers.
One was a bear, the other a Hearts man.
Despite spending hours in their company over a few years, I cannot remember who was what!

Chick Chalmers is a bluenose thru and thru.
I grew up with him and we used to travel up for the odd game together, along with Gary Parker.
As The Egg has mentioned, most of the rugby lads are Gers supporters.
I played with Johnny Beattie late in his career (early in mine) at Glasgow Accies, he wasn't big into football, but a Gers man, his brother Duncan was a 19th Century Terrorist bastard for some strange reason :))
Kenny Logan, Kevin McKenzie and most of the Stirling County lads good bluenoses too.

Back