Archive Season 2022/23 - The Great Big Bumper Thread of RangersTV Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone notice a drop in coverage quality when its not sky/BT and just the RTV pictures?

I dont know how many times last night the director zoomed in on a player for a close up or had a replay, all the while the play was still going on and you need to go by the crowd to try and work out what happened.
Last night was poor. Dunno who provides the outside broadcast for Euro nights when its not Sky/BT/Premier screening the match. RangersTV do not have the capacity, as far as I'm aware, to run an outside broadcast at that, multiple camera, level.

SPFL matches are filmed by an outside company of the SPFLs choosing and then broadcast by Sky/BBC and overseas purchasers. They have a contract to film all SPFL matches. RangersTV actually only have about two cameras in the ground - that's what gets us the Inside Ibrox footage - its not them who provide the outside broadcasts. Hence why the footage on the BBC, SPFL website and on RangersTV is identical.

Maybe as no other broadcaster bought the rights last night then Rangers brought in outside contractors different to the ones used by the SPFL? I'd be surprised though, probably just went with the 'usual' company. It was noticeably poorer coverage though.

Last night was poor. Dunno who provides the outside broadcast for Euro nights when its not Sky/BT/Premier screening the match. RangersTV do not have the capacity, as far as I'm aware, to run an outside broadcast at that, multiple camera, level.

SPFL matches are filmed by an outside company of the SPFLs choosing and then broadcast by Sky/BBC and overseas purchasers. They have a contract to film all SPFL matches. RangersTV actually only have about two cameras in the ground - that's what gets us the Inside Ibrox footage - its not them who provide the outside broadcasts. Hence why the footage on the BBC, SPFL website and on RangersTV is identical.

Maybe as no other broadcaster bought the rights last night then Rangers brought in outside contractors different to the ones used by the SPFL? I'd be surprised though, probably just went with the 'usual' company. It was noticeably poorer coverage though.

Its like an amateur doing the direction!

Its like an amateur doing the direction!
Couldn't even tell you which company does the SPFL stuff - seems to be a closely guarded secret. I suspect it would have been the same folk doing last night but simply having a 'bad day at the office'. All RangersTV do is the camera in the Govan Stand, the interview cameras and some GoPros behind the goals. The latter being unsuited for Live broadcast, only post-match video.

Still threads popping up about Ross County TV and coverage of Sunday’s match in general.

RangersTV have the match for those overseas or able to appear overseas via a VPN. It’s cheaper and it’s better. All info on how to get the match is in the OP.

Anyone had success on getting vpn viewing going on a Firestick 4K for watching on a telly? I’m away on holiday and the only kit I’ve got for the Airbnb is a bog-standard, non-jail-broken firestick.

Anyone had success on getting vpn viewing going on a Firestick 4K for watching on a telly? I’m away on holiday and the only kit I’ve got for the Airbnb is a bog-standard, non-jail-broken firestick.
I sideloaded the APK for my VPN (Private Internet Access) using Downloader App. PIA do have an App in the Amazon Store but their Help pages suggested that sideloading was the better option. Easily done. I then stream via the Silk browser. It works absolutely fine. However, my Fire TV Stick is a bit away from my router so I do get a bit of buffering with the inevitable VPN slow-down. That’s my setup to blame though I think.

Can’t get the RangersTV App to launch on Fire TV Stick though, has to be the browser.

The Ross County v Rangers match on Sunday (22 Aug, 1500hrs) is now available for purchase from RangersTV for those overseas, or 'overseas' via a VPN, at a cost of £9.99. The match is also available to Unlimited subscribers as part of their subscription package. Note this game will not be televised by Sky. Do NOT Login before attempting to purchase the match. The purchase process will take you through Login. The first link below will take you to the purchase page. You need to be overseas or 'overseas' via a VPN to see the game offered for purchase.

NOTE: RangersTV purchases have to be made via the website NOT the App.

The guide below is focussed on the procedure for matches not available in the UK via RangersTV.

New season, so time for a ‘refresh’ on how to make it all work. All instructions below are for desktop/laptop. Whatever device you use for your viewing, I’d recommend using the website rather than the (poor) App. That’s not always possible if you want to cast though. Using a TV browser is at your own risk, many are not up to the task. I still can’t get the App to launch on Fire TV Stick either but Silk browser works for me.

1. The game is available on Sky Sports but for those – the majority hopefully – who want to give their money to the Club you can view it on RangersTV provided you are overseas or have access to a VPN to make it appear you are overseas. I won’t go into what a VPN is too much because we’ve covered it often but if anybody wants more info just ask.

2. If using a VPN, I would always recommend a good quality paid-for VPN. The Club have links with NordVPN and they are as good as it gets, especially if you are going to be using it long-term. There are others out there. For a one-off use there are options such as Opera, which is free, but they tend to have drawbacks. Any VPN will slow down your connection and can lead to buffering. A free/cheap VPN will generally slow it down more than a good quality one such as NordVPN. A discount deal may, or may not, be available from the Rangers/NordVPN affiliate link below.

Buying the Match

3. If you don’t have the Unlimited (overseas) subscription then you need to PPV. You can only purchase matches via the website and not via the App. Apple/Google get a 20%+ slice of the pie for in-App purchases so it’s not viable for the club.

4. Switch on your VPN and set it to a location overseas. Ideally select a location near to the UK. France, Belgium, The Netherlands are all favourites of mine. These will generally have lower latency that areas further afield, i.e. they will be ‘quicker’.

5. To check that its worked, if you want to, click on the following link. It should show you as located in the country of your choice.

What Is My IP Address - See Your Public Address - IPv4 & IPv6

6. Go to the RangersTV Home page. Do NOT login. Click on any button that says Subscribe or Buy Match Pass. This will bring up a page of options available for purchase by overseas users. This will include the upcoming game. Click to purchase the game and the purchase process will take you through Login as part of the payment process. Don’t worry about any messages regarding an existing subscription just click through them (unless you actually have Unlimited LOL). You do not need a UK address or UK bank details to purchase. Once your purchase is made you can relax and wait until about an hour before kick-off time.

Viewing the Match

7. If you have turned it off, go back and turn on your VPN and set it to your location of choice (France, Belgium etc). Normally, around 1 hour before the match (though sometimes it’s much less) the Watch Live button will appear on the RangersTV Home page.

RangersTV | Rangers Football Club

8. Go to the RangersTV Home page (with your VPN set to overseas) and Login. When the Watch Live button appears (sometimes it goes red) click on it. If the stream is ‘live’ you will normally get the placeholder page for Erskine from about 1 hour before kick-off. ‘Moving pictures’ generally appear about half an hour before kick-off, though this can vary. If you cannot find the game, scroll down to the section headed RangersTV Latest and the game should appear in there. If you’re not seeing the Watch Live button - and are sure your VPN is working properly - maybe try logging out, clear cache/cookies the login and try again.

9. To make sure you get sound, either roll your mouse over the top left-hand corner of the video window and click on Unmute when it appears – or simply go to the Enlarge icon in the bottom right and go Full Screen, which will unmute automatically.

10. At this stage, to help reduce any buffering, I’d also click on the Settings icon in the bottom right of the video panel and change it from Auto to 1080P. If you encounter buffering after this then try dropping it down another step to see if it helps. In extreme times, Tranmere game was one, the stream became unwatchable due to buffering. In that instance I pulled the bottom slider bar back by roughly 2 minutes and pressed Play. No more buffering but, of course, I was a few minutes behind ‘live’. Hopefully we never need to do that again.

11. Keep an eye on FollowFollow. Generally, someone will post ‘live now’ or ‘moving pictures’ or similar. If your screen doesn’t reflect that then simply Refresh your browser.

One final point, please, please make sure you do not login on more than 1 device at a time. If you do, you risk having your Account blocked and will need to go down the Forgotten Password route. If you are in the habit of leaving yourself logged in of the App, for example, make sure you logout of the App before trying to login via your browser. When done watching, logout and turn off your VPN.

That’s it. Happy viewing - or Lets’ Go (Again) as Stevie G would say.

I generally pick up on any threads/posts on RangersTV issues and try and help out (I’m nothing to do with RangersTV by the way). If I can’t get on for whatever reason, there are plenty others on hand, many with more knowledge than me, who can help out.
Thank you , been trying to access this for days - worked a treat !

Thank you , been trying to access this for days - worked a treat !
The process is ‘non-intuitive’ since you do NOT login before trying to buy. That’s generally where folk go wrong. Once you get that in your head, ball-ache that it is, its straightforward enough.

I have the normal £60 package but it is up for renewal in October. I also have recently bought a nord VPN deal and buy the away games like today.

If i renew with the Unlimited package will i still get the MYGERS points? i ask because my details say i am in Holland due to using the VPN.

I am probably overthinking it but i want to know before i buy the Unlimited package

I have the normal £60 package but it is up for renewal in October. I also have recently bought a nord VPN deal and buy the away games like today.

If i renew with the Unlimited package will i still get the MYGERS points? i ask because my details say i am in Holland due to using the VPN.

I am probably overthinking it but i want to know before i buy the Unlimited package
Provided you have MyGers it doesn’t matter where you purchase the Unlimited package from. You will get the points. Eventually. They are added manually so it takes a wee while. We have loads with the Unlimited package who’ve bought it on ‘day trips‘ to Amsterdam.

Provided you have MyGers it doesn’t matter where you purchase the Unlimited package from. You will get the points. Eventually. They are added manually so it takes a wee while. We have loads with the Unlimited package who’ve bought it on ‘day trips‘ to Amsterdam.
thanks mate appreciate it

Well "i'm in" Drenthe :shh:

Bought the pass but live button is there with no option to play ?
On RangersTV? The Watch Live button is there. Click on it. Brings up the next screen which has a f*ck off big Play icon in the middle of it. Remember to either enlarge to Full Screen to unmute or roll over the top left corner of the screen and click on Unmute when it appears.

Last edited:
Been struggling to find the option to buy game today - anyone got a direct link to the right Web page?

Have VPN on and been trying for last half hour. Site is not very intuitive at times

Bought it, VPN on.

Just getting option to Buy Match pass, not allowing to view steam!
See the OP and work your way through it.

After purchasing the Match Pass you go back to the Home screen - Refresh if needs be - and then click on the Watch Live button.

Done all that. Not exactly first time doing this.

Looking like a refund!
Does your purchase history show you as having purchased the match? Sometimes takes a bit to register if its late in the day.

Other than that its the usual belts and braces. Use the link in the OP to check you are registered as overseas. Clear cache/cookies and try again. In extremeis try on a different browser.

Does your purchase history show you as having purchased the match? Sometimes takes a bit to register if its late in the day.

Other than that its the usual belts and braces. Use the link in the OP to check you are registered as overseas. Clear cache/cookies and try again. In extremeis try on a different browser.

Yes, ends 29th Aug
Purchased at 12pm

Yes, ends 29th Aug
Purchased at 12pm
Fair enough. You can see no Watch Live button on the Home screen on the website - or are you using the App? Been a trait this season that the Watch Live on the App is late to appear. I hate the App and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

At this late stage you are on your own, other than working through the steps in the OP to try and figure it out. No issues whatsoever for me.

Usual stuff would be confirming you are registered as overseas by using the link in the OP. Or Logging out, clear cache/cookies and then trying again. Or using a different browser.

If you are contacting RangersTV Support do not, in any circumstances, mention you are using a VPN. Though they will be able to see that you are overseas and where.

I use the inbuilt VPN with Opera, never had an issue. There can be a latency issue but it doesn't cause me any issues once I'm up and streaming. I also do a speed test before I start making sure my VPN connection has a good speed. I regularly get over 140Mbps which is ample and sometimes over 500Mbps but I'm on Virgin Media 600Mbps Fibre.

Ironically I get more issues when the game is available in the UK:D

Bought game. VPN on but showing as unauthorised country even though I tried Amsterdam and Paris
See the OP. Use the link in there to check your device is actually registering you as in the overseas location. If it is then maybe try logging out, clear cache/cookies, close browser, open browser, login and try again. Sounds like its either a VPN issue (not registering) or your browser clinging onto cookies.

Making my RTV/VPN debut today, it was surprisingly easy to do. The only issue is I was hoping to use the casting feature which has been added back on to the app with the latest update to my chromecast. When the VPN is on RTV doesn’t find the chromecast, I take it this is just going to be the case because it thinks they are on different networks?

Making my RTV/VPN debut today, it was surprisingly easy to do. The only issue is I was hoping to use the casting feature which has been added back on to the app with the latest update to my chromecast. When the VPN is on RTV doesn’t find the chromecast, I take it this is just going to be the case because it thinks they are on different networks?
Yeah I think that's the issue mate. Not sure if it can be solved by screen mirroring as opposed to casting. That stuff is 'voodoo' to me though I'm afraid.

Fair enough. You can see no Watch Live button on the Home screen on the website - or are you using the App? Been a trait this season that the Watch Live on the App is late to appear. I hate the App and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

At this late stage you are on your own, other than working through the steps in the OP to try and figure it out. No issues whatsoever for me.

Usual stuff would be confirming you are registered as overseas by using the link in the OP. Or Logging out, clear cache/cookies and then trying again. Or using a different browser.

If you are contacting RangersTV Support do not, in any circumstances, mention you are using a VPN. Though they will be able to see that you are overseas and where.

No watch live at all, just Buy Match pass.

Contacted Support (with VPN on) and just said outside the UK

Done this a million times and never had an isuse.

it was playing fine now all i get is this

rtv.png

Wee tip, do not cast from video, cast entire tab.

No watch live at all, just Buy Match pass.

Contacted Support (with VPN on) and just said outside the UK

Done this a million times and never had an isuse.
Very weird if you been all through the belts & braces stuff.

If I try and replicate that with my VPN on I still don't see a Buy Match Pass button. I see a Subscribe button (when logged out that is). What happens if you Logout and then Login again? Still say Buy Match Pass?

You are on the website and not the App?

See the OP. Use the link in there to check your device is actually registering you as in the overseas location. If it is then maybe try logging out, clear cache/cookies, close browser, open browser, login and try again. Sounds like its either a VPN issue (not registering) or your browser clinging onto cookies.
Working now thanks.
I am hopeless with all this technology so any help is greatly appreciated.

Working on the iPad with a vpn, any way I can cast it? Every time I try it doesn’t work and wondering if I’m doing something wrong

Web
Very weird if you been all through the belts & braces stuff.

If I try and replicate that with my VPN on I still don't see a Buy Match Pass button. I see a Subscribe button (when logged out that is). What happens if you Logout and then Login again? Still say Buy Match Pass?

You are on the website and not the App?

Website

Logged In

Logged Out

RTV replied with a generic reply about only available to outside the UK, but it let me buy it ok and done all the steps.

They have replied saying a VPN is in use and not supplying a refund.

Tried Nord and PIA.

Will never use them again.

Web

Website

Logged In

Logged Out

RTV replied with a generic reply about only available to outside the UK, but it let me buy it ok and done all the steps.

They have replied saying a VPN is in use and not supplying a refund.

Tried Nord and PIA.

Will never use them again.
That's shit mate. Seems clear to me that despite your purchase history showing you purchased the match its not registering the purchase to let you Watch Live.

I'd maybe persist and see it it registers in due course. Shite just the same.

I wonder if there's a reason that the Unlimited package has to be bought outright and not paid monthly. Costing me a fortune on match passes, but can't pay £240 in a one-er.

This is the only slight issue I have, since switching to a paid VPN (Nord) I've been delighted with the service, using native browser on Fire Stick 4K.

@davhow saw your post in the now locked thread. Follow the advice in the OP of this thread. You need to be overseas in order to purchase the match. Also, do NOT login before trying to purchase.

Bit late in the day now tbh.

Have tried mate and much the same.
Been sweet as a nut for me today. If needs must, pull the scroll bar along the bottom back by circa 2 minutes. Means you will be further behind live but might solve your buffering. If that doesn't help can only conclude your VPN is slowing your feed down to unacceptable levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back