Stick with Gerrard

It's fucking insane on here just now.

The mentally challengeds have dropped points only 3 games this season, they've a squad that cost millions more than ours, a budget that absolutely towers over ours and are going through an unprecedented level of domestic success that started before Gerrard even arrived. Yet all we need is a "decent" manager to romp the league.

The nonsense surrounding "Gerrard has to go" has reached peak nonsense I think. I can only assume the mentally challengeds have absolutely dominated some people's minds and they can no longer think straight or rationally.

The same guys who were full of the #ThisIsFun patter when we were booted out the league, lost 30m plus worth of talent and had all our revenue streams cut.

I remember an old poster on the old board Number Eight predicting exactly that this would happen. He predicted that we would struggle to win the league again for a generation and Celtic would skoosh to 10IAR and more as we would struggle to recover from 2012.

He took a pile of abuse at the time as well but it looks like he was spot on.

You seriously think we'll go from Gerrard to a McInnes or Wright.

%^*& sake.

Who do you think we
A. Could afford
B. Could attract

After sacking the whole staff and paying out the contracts, not to mention being viewed as a hiring/firing club.
Put it another way - who would you like

More goals. More point. Further in the cup. Further in Europe. Still in the Scottish. Won at the piggary.
I'm not happy at recent form but where is the backwards coming from?
12 points behind in February and a monumental collapse for the second year running.

We've been back in the top flight for 4 years now and have invested millions into the playing squad.

It's far from unreasonable to expecting a title challenge at the very least.. the odd cup would be nice.

We have a manager who's been backed heavily by the board who cant work out a formula to beat shite like Aberdeen, Kille, Hearts, St Johnstone.. basically the rest of the shite in this league.

You mentioned budgets in another post.. you do know our budget dwarfs the budgets of the shite we cant beat on a regular basis?

The time for using 2012 as an excuse is gone.

How are we 20 points clear of 3rd place if we canny beat anyone else in the league?

I'm baffled.

Bad decision to change it when we got on top..but I'm still hoping for the best!
Fall off the bike..don't just leave it at the side of the road...nah...ye learn and get back on it!
C'mon SG...learn n move on!

Let's go..again!

How long do we wait for this transformation he’s had the best part of 2 seasons and apart from Europe we are going backwards?

We're really not. That playing squad is more than capable. What we need is a half decent fee for morelos, a CB and a CF both with leadership qualities There has clearly been an issue in dubai and its split the camp. They will get over themselves in time of that I'm sure

agreed, some folk don’t have a clue.

Bet nobody said that on Dec 29th....
Your slagging people for not having a clue and then come away with an inane comment like, “Bet nobody was saying that on Dec 29th”.
Remind us when a league season actually finishes?

12 points behind in February and a monumental collapse for the second year running.

12 points behind them sounds horrendous (and it is to an extent) but it's not taking into account they are having an exceptional season. Liverpool finished 25 points behind Man City 2 seasons ago when they amassed a record points total, but they didn't sack Klopp did they? Because the improvements he was making were undeniable, a blind man could see it.

Next season they lost the league on the last day of the season to Man City with basically the same squad plus Fabinho and Allison. A couple of key players in key positions can transform a team.

Who do you think we
A. Could afford
B. Could attract

After sacking the whole staff and paying out the contracts, not to mention being viewed as a hiring/firing club.
Put it another way - who would you like
Prepare for

"GVB" - Who's likely on millions over in China.

"FDB" - A guy who's managed ajax, Inter, Crystal palace and now an American team. In other words he'll be on wages we can only dream of paying.

And even if we get the wage issues sorted, why would anyone up and coming, much less someone who has the support of our fans come to our club at this point in time? It'll be handing them 10iar and the fans will turn on them instantly. If a legend like Ally gets all sorts of abuse these days then whoever loses 10iar is gonna have 90% of our fans turn on him instantly - and I include gerrard in that, even though I don't think it's right. But why would anyone take that job knowing the risks and what will happen if we don't win the league? It feels shitty to say but it's really not worth it.

Prepare for

"GVB" - Who's likely on millions over in China.

"FDB" - A guy who's managed ajax, Inter, Crystal palace and now an American team. In other words he'll be on wages we can only dream of paying.

And even if we get the wage issues sorted, why would anyone up and coming, much less someone who has the support of our fans come to our club at this point in time? It'll be handing them 10iar and the fans will turn on them instantly. If a legend like Ally gets all sorts of abuse these days then whoever loses 10iar is gonna have 90% of our fans turn on him instantly - and I include gerrard in that, even though I don't think it's right. But why would anyone take that job knowing the risks and what will happen if we don't win the league? It feels shitty to say but it's really not worth it.
Or maybe they would want the opportunity to be the one to stop 10 in a row.

You said another manager would romp the league. So just give me one example where this happens anywhere else in the world (consistently) when a team has half the budget of their competitor?

What’s Liverpool’s budget compared to City or even UTD ,

We have a decent enough budget to beat them across the city managed by a lunatic with very little talent.

Or maybe they would want the opportunity to be the one to stop 10 in a row.
What's the chances of that happening with a new manager who won't have time, or money, to build his own squad bringing in his own players, getting them used to the way he wants them to play, needing time to adapt to scottish football and how the teams here play when he's up against a team who's won the last 7 trophies on the bounce and the last 9 league titles by a fair distance?

Very very slim and certainly not worth the risk.

You can't just throw a new manager in and expect him to break dominance and win the league in his first season.

Pep didn't do it.
Klopp didn't do it.

The only one you could argue that did was Mourinho, should we go get him?

We're really not. That playing squad is more than capable. What we need is a half decent fee for morelos, a CB and a CF both with leadership qualities There has clearly been an issue in dubai and its split the camp. They will get over themselves in time of that I'm sure

I must have imagined us loosing more points than the same time last season thing is we haven’t even had a hard game apart from Kille away.

How are we 20 points clear of 3rd place if we canny beat anyone else in the league?

I'm baffled.

Go back and look at Gerrards overall record domestically over the last 2 seasons.. its extremely inconsistent and not good enough.

Then if you want to go into more detail go back and look at the amount of points we've dropped to Aberdeen and Killie alone.. its unacceptable.

We have all the ingredients to challenge for the title.. bar a tactically astute manager.

Budgets nothing to do with not beating Hearts, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and St Johnstone, that's why we are trailing them.
How we perform over the course of a league season has nothing to do with our budget? OK. We should stop paying players all together and save a f*cking fortune if it doesn't matter.

How many players earning 20 grand a week do we have sitting in the stand for the first half of the season? They've got plenty of players earning big money sitting in the stand. We are signing loan players from Liverpool to bulk up our squad.

I would be very surprised if we have anyone on 20 grand a week sitting in the stand .

As for the Liverpool thing Gerrard knows these players and still thinks their good enough.

Its true though, you have a short memory if you think we haven't progressed.

Unfortunately for us when you guys get your way and he's chased out the door whoever comes in will still face a Celtic with double our budget.
That lot aren’t the problem, head to head we hold our own, it’s the teams that have a fraction of OUR budget that we can’t beat.

What's the chances of that happening with a new manager who won't have time, or money, to build his own squad bringing in his own players, getting them used to the way he wants them to play, needing time to adapt to scottish football and how the teams here play?

Very very slim and certainly not worth the risk.
So just stick with the guy that isn’t learning from his mistakes? The last team do stop 10IAR changed their manager and it worked so it’s hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

How we perform over the course of a league season has nothing to do with our budget? OK. We should stop paying players all together and save a f*cking fortune if it doesn't matter.

That would not work either, it's as ludicrous as stating we need a big budget to beat these teams who have nothing, our problem is not the filth it's us not beating the nobodies in our league.

I would be very surprised if we have anyone on 20 grand a week sitting in the stand .

As for the Liverpool thing Gerrard knows these players and still thinks their good enough.

We all wanted Kent to sign. Ojo has hardly kicked a ball this year. Has he even featured this year?

If we get knocked out on Wednesday then knocked out on Saturday it's going to be almost impossible for the biggest Gerrard fan to stake much of a claim that he should stay. This week might make or break him as a manager.

Nothing, as he's in his first job. Allardyce has nearly 3 decades of managerial experience with little tangible success.

In that time, what tells you he's right man for Ibrox?
You honestly expected fat Sam to win things with the lower level teams he’s managed, not saying we should be going for him but we really need an experienced manager who knows the ropes and preferably has won things not another rookie vanity project.

Go back and look at Gerrards overall record domestically over the last 2 seasons.. its extremely inconsistent and not good enough.

Then if you want to go into more detail go back and look at the amount of points we've dropped to Aberdeen and Killie alone.. its unacceptable.

We have all the ingredients to challenge for the title.. bar a tactically astute manager.
Come on then name a suitable tactically astute manager to take the job

We all wanted Kent to sign. Ojo has hardly kicked a ball this year. Has he even featured this year?

Your changing the subject we don’t have many players over 20,000 certainly not sitting in the stands.

Ojo should have been sent back in the January window and replaced with someone who would make an impact.

FWIW I think he will walk in the summer whilst his reputation is still intact and he will take a job down south. He would likely get a Newcastle or a West Ham type job.

When it comes to fan expectation our job is one of the worst in the world. The only thing that matters is being ahead of Celtic to the majority of our fans, nothing else matters. It's a mindset ingrained in our fans who still think it's the 90s / 00s and struggle to grasp the reality of the situation at our club since 2012.

That’s mindset, as you put it is there because more often than not you beat them you win things.

You honestly expected fat Sam to win things with the lower level teams he’s managed, not saying we should be going for him but we really need an experienced manager who knows the ropes and preferably has won things not another rookie vanity project.

Rookie vanity project - oh ffs

Your changing the subject we don’t have many players over 20,000 certainly not sitting in the stands.

Ojo should have been sent back in the January window and replaced with someone who would make an impact.

Not changing the subject. Trying to show what difference the budget makes.

So just stick with the guy that isn’t learning from his mistakes? The last team do stop 10IAR changed their manager and it worked so it’s hardly beyond the realms of possibility.
we lost 10iar cause smith announced he was leaving at end of the season and our form went downhill a bit

what's he doing that he isn't learning from his mistakes then? i'd love to hear this....

That lot aren’t the problem, head to head we hold our own, it’s the teams that have a fraction of OUR budget that we can’t beat.

And we always have dropped points to those sides, even when we had the biggest budget.

And they are the problem, our points tally is up there with any previous title winning season, the problem is that Celtic are so consistent and have quality to replace any injured or out of form players, thats when the superior budget shows.

Not changing the subject. Trying to show what difference the budget makes.

Our budget spent wisely against TLB is more than enough our issue isnt beating the beasts it’s beating teams like Kilmarnock and StJohnstone , Not to mention the fact that McInnes has Gerrards number .

If we are knocked out of both cup competitions in the space of 3 days and are 12 points behind then it does become increasingly difficult to say that rangers have made progress this season. All hypothetical anyway.

We've done well to still be in the europa so I can't agree with you. Hypothetically

Come on then name a suitable tactically astute manager to take the job

Chris Houghton.

Done a great job at Brighton and is currently available.

Has 2/3 years experience of managing in the EPL.

He probably doesnt have enough star quality for guys like yourself though.

we lost 10iar cause smith announced he was leaving at end of the season and our form went downhill a bit

what's he doing that he isn't learning from his mistakes then? i'd love to hear this....

Cant beat Aberdeen, Kille or StJohnstone that’s continued mistakes.

Our budget spent wisely against TLB is more than enough our issue isnt beating the beasts it’s beating teams like Kilmarnock and StJohnstone , Not to mention the fact that McInnes has Gerrards number .

It hurts to say it but that mob are having a good season. They don't look like dropping points. That's out of our control

Unless the rest of the season is a total meltdown, then I don't see that we have any option other than to stick with Stevie G. I agree with those who say we should look at the year on year improvement.

Assuming Gers win their game in hand, they would be on 67 points, nine BETTER than at the same stage last season.

Yes, the last two months haven't been great at all but what's made things a lot worse is that Celtic have stepped up considerably from last season: they are ten points better off than at the end of Feb 2019.

Constantly dropping points against the likes of Kilmarnock and Aberdeen he also has no plan B and he keeps picking players in shit form in the hope that it’s going to start clicking again.

It hurts to say it but that mob are having a good season. They don't look like dropping points. That's out of our control

Mate we were effectively ahead after we beat them on the 29th our arse has collapsed one way or the other .

If we had kept winning we would be a game in hand away from being top of the league.

Yep, I've just posted to point out that they are ten points better off. Even with our post-break dip, we'd be neck and neck with their team of last season.

Mate we were effectively ahead after we beat them on the 29th our arse has collapsed one way or the other .

If we had kept winning we would be a game in hand away from being top of the league.

As I've said earlier we haven't had our strongest 11 on the pitch this year. It's when we have to use our squad player's we struggle.

Constantly dropping points against the likes of Kilmarnock and Aberdeen he also has no plan B and he keeps picking players in shit form in the hope that it’s going to start clicking again.

I cant believe that guys on here cant see what's actually happening.

It's like their just delighted to be better than we were under Warburton/Caxhina/Murty.

People genuinely believe that Gerrards the only choice we have as manager like hes irreplaceable.. its mental.

Cant beat Aberdeen, Kille or StJohnstone that’s continued mistakes.
Losing to teams isn't a 'mistake' lol. And St Johnstone Gerrard's beat them 3 times and drew 2, hardly continued.

You'll need to be more specific as to what the mistake he continues to do that's causing us to drop points against Killie and Aberdeen.

Going backwards? Absolute nonsense

Our recent lack of form doesn’t concern me long term. As has been pointed out many times SG is still learning, and he is learning by the way, albeit a little slower than we’d have liked.

What’s really really worrying me more than anything is Gerrard’s post match comments and his touch line attitude if things aren’t going to plan.

He sits in the dugout with his mind wandering a million miles away. You can almost see the wheels turning trying to figure out who he can throw under the bus for the latest dropped points. THAT’S my big concern.

I’ve no doubt SG will still be here next season. And he should be as far as I’m concerned. But if he wants to have players who are willing to play for him I think he needs to think long and hard about how to deal with dropped points better in his interviews. By all means say what you think behind closed doors, but not on tv for the world to see ffs. If he can’t manage that, then send Gary Mac out to do the interviews

A loss to Braga, a loss to Hearts, and finishing up the league with a far wider points gap between ourselves and Celtic than existed last season, would cause most reasonable people to at least question seriously whether or not Gerrard should carry on.

We should not become blinded by Gerrard's brilliant career as one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. Not all great players make the transition to becoming great managers - in fact it is the exception rather than the rule.

Back