Stick with Gerrard

Who do you think we
A. Could afford
B. Could attract

After sacking the whole staff and paying out the contracts, not to mention being viewed as a hiring/firing club.
Put it another way - who would you like

You think we are bringing in guys like Wilson, Scoulding, Doyle etc to eventually turn to Tommy Wright when Steven Gerrard eventually moves on.

Bisgrove is trying to tie down exciting commercial deals for the club and we've got people seriously thinking that when Gerrard goes it's either a McInnes, Wright or someone of that ilk?

Part of Ross Wilson's remit is to identify managers who are of the required quality to manage Rangers, step in and make an immediate impact. He's worked with some decent managers, he's got contacts around Europe.

There will be managers out there that see what we have done and are capable of doing in Europe. There will be managers who recognise the opportunity to win trophies in Scotland.

I'm unsure of names because I don't know our budget nor do I know the positions they are in terms of contracts or wages they command. Doesn't have to be box office (which it won't), doesn't have to be any thing fancy. We need to get back to basics and learn how to become successful in this backwater league. I'd want a bit of experience, tactical knowledge, awareness and some one who's experienced winning. Not a rookie or some one like Pedro Caixinha.

A GvB doesn't appeal to me. Read too much on his time at Feyenoord and whilst he won a cup and league (first in 18 years) there were plenty question marks over his managerial ability. He's also out in China earning the big bucks.

I cant believe that guys on here cant see what's actually happening.

It's like their just delighted to be better than we were under Warburton/Caxhina/Murty.

People genuinely believe that Gerrards the only choice we have as manager like hes irreplaceable.. its mental.
I'm in no way equating Gerrard with Pedro but there were guys defending Pedro almost to the last.

Pretty much life on an open football forum .

Our budget spent wisely against TLB is more than enough our issue isnt beating the beasts it’s beating teams like Kilmarnock and StJohnstone , Not to mention the fact that McInnes has Gerrards number .
I can't be bothered reading all 7 pages but seen you on page 1 and you are still here saying Gerrard needs to go. Who do you replace him with?

If we win the Scottish cup he’ll be the messiah to some.

I’d say stick with him. He/we will get there!!

Yep, I've just posted to point out that they are ten points better off. Even with our post-break dip, we'd be neck and neck with their team of last season.

I hate talking about them but that shows what we're up against. Since we beat them they've put a good run together. Morelos getting sent off and a couple of injuries has hampered us badly

As I've said earlier we haven't had our strongest 11 on the pitch this year. It's when we have to use our squad player's we struggle.

We were only Missing Barasic from our best available side yesterday as Helander has been missing a long time and we were doing just fine without him until the winter break.

Losing to teams isn't a 'mistake' lol. And St Johnstone Gerrard's beat them 3 times and drew 2, hardly continued.

You'll need to be more specific as to what the mistake he continues to do that's causing us to drop points against Killie and Aberdeen.

2 draws against StJohnstone aren’t acceptable.

His formation his tactics and his personel are his mistakes as he can’t beat Aberdeen or Kilmarnock away .

I can't be bothered reading all 7 pages but seen you on page 1 and you are still here saying Gerrard needs to go. Who do you replace him with?

I said he needs to win the Scottish cup and still be in the Title race this time next season I never said to sack him right now .

It's like their just delighted to be better than we were under Warburton/Caxhina/Murty.

People genuinely believe that Gerrards the only choice we have as manager like hes irreplaceable.. its mental.

Nobody has said he's irreplaceable. I'm saying we don't have the funds to pay him and his backroom staff off, buy out the new managers contract and give him a decent transfer budget. If you think we can then please tell me where the money is coming from? There is only so much our board can do. We don't make any money from our retail. We're living on investments from our board and having a decent run in the europa

We were only Missing Barasic from our best available side yesterday as Helander has been missing a long time and we were doing just fine without him until the winter break.
The Morelos suspension gas hit us hard. And he's not came back the same player. He looks a yard off it and a wee bit disinterested

2 draws against StJohnstone aren’t acceptable.

His formation his tactics and his personel are his mistakes as he can’t beat Aberdeen or Kilmarnock away .
So by saying Gerrard keeps doing the same thing and never learns from his mistake, you are suggesting that he has never changed formation, tactics or personel against Aberdeen or Killie and it's been the exact same formation, tactics and players in every single game against them?

Because that right there is absolute nonsense.

in our last 2 games against aberdeen arfield and aribo switched places, that's just looking at the past 2 games and the very first thing I noticed. There are also several other changes. So that right there just disproves your nonsense.

Does killie and aberdeen have the better of gerrard? yes, but it's not down to "gerrard using the same formation tactics and personal cause he never learns from his mistakes".

Given where we are now compared to last season points wize cant be seen as progress considering the funds made avalible this season,going to be a interesting few weeks ahead,personally I believe hes finished and will walk

So by saying Gerrard keeps doing the same thing and never learns from his mistake, you are suggesting that he has never changed formation, tactics or personel against Aberdeen or Killie and it's been the exact same formation, tactics and players in every single game against them?

Because that right there is absolute nonsense.

He’s continuously went with a 4-3-3 and played mainly the same players he’s changed up very little.

Suppose that means we are going backwards (I don't think it does without a full season as comparison). Who is the better alternative, given our budget and aspirations?

Mate I am not here to pick managers but I for sure wouldn’t have picked a rookie no matter how good a player he was.

Gerrard has done fairly well and exceptional In Europe I just think he’s loosing it .

He’s continuously went with a 4-3-3 and played mainly the same players he’s changed up very little.
Past 2 games against aberdeen differences:

Aribo and Arfield switched places
Helander in for Katic
Polster in for Tav
Kamara in for Jack

Just for starters. Your post is absolute nonsense.

Does killie and aberdeen have the better of gerrard? yes, but it's not down to "gerrard using the same formation tactics and personal cause he never learns from his mistakes".

We have lost more points since the winter break than we did last season.
That may be so but you have to look at the season as a whole. We have more points than at the same time last year. Hopefully we will be able to say the same in May.

We also progressed further in both the League Cup and Europe. And we won (and won well) at Parkhead for the first time for almost a decade.

We need to re-evaluate the situation in May.

That may be so but you have to look at the season as a whole. We have more points than at the same time last year. Hopefully we will be able to say the same in May.

We also progressed further in both the League Cup and Europe. And we won (and won well) at Parkhead for the first time for almost a decade.

We need to re-evaluate the situation in May.
Bingo.

That is a bizarre way to judge the situation, given that we have more points.

You think the recent form is good enough same as this time last year only more of a collapse.

We have had a decent run of fixtures only Kille away was a potential banana skin and what ever has happened we have shit the bed .

What would you rather a good run in Europe or win the league as we are never winning the UEFA cup ?

I don't see it as an either-or matter.

Rangers should be looking to be as successful as possible on all fronts. A move towards the sort of football Aberdeen play wouldn't make us a better or more winning team.

I know I'm not answering your question there but I don't think that question answers the one I asked in the first place.

He deserves next season. If he can't win anything in 3 seasons then he has to go though. There's no way we're getting rid of him anytime soon, so we should just get behind him and the team for the rest of the season. I know it's shit at the moment but hopefully we find a bit of form and threads like this aren't needed on here.

Past 2 games against aberdeen differences:

Aribo and Arfield switched places
Helander in for Katic
Polster in for Tav
Kamara in for Jack

Just for starters. Your post is absolute nonsense.

Arfield and Aribo changing places are the only differences the others were all down to injuries your not serious about them being tactical switches ?

If we can’t win because other teams have our number but it’s not to do with Tactics that doesn’t even make sense , What’s it to do with then ?

I don't see it as an either-or matter.

Rangers should be looking to be as successful as possible on all fronts. A move towards the sort of football Aberdeen play wouldn't make us a better or more winning team.

I know I'm not answering your question there but I don't think that question answers the one I asked in the first place.

Simple question, Win the league or get to the Semi of the UEFA League what would you prefer ?

Arfield and Aribo changing places are the only differences the others were all down to injuries your not serious about them being tactical switches ?

If we can’t win because other teams have our number but it’s not to do with Tactics that doesn’t even make sense , What’s it to do with then ?
Doesn't really matter why the changes were made?

The fact is the personel was changed and guess what ? The result was the exact same.

Your here spouting Gerrard doesn't change personel which is why we're dropping points to aberdeen, well he has and it got us the exact same result.

Chris Houghton.

Done a great job at Brighton and is currently available.

Has 2/3 years experience of managing in the EPL.

He probably doesnt have enough star quality for guys like yourself though.
Star quality helps attract good players.
There is no evidence to suggest Houghton would be any better. Sacked at Norwich, sacked at Brighton. Plus he would want to clear out the squad and spend a shit load of money. We will agree to disagree. I would favour keeping faith with the manager for another season

Doesn't really matter why the changes were made?

The fact is the personel was changed and guess what ? The result was the exact same.

Your here spouting Gerrard doesn't change personel which is why we're dropping points to aberdeen, well he has and it got us the exact same result.

He makes very little changes unless forced and he is incapable of beating Aberdeen or Kille away so his tactics are to blame as is his formation it’s as simple as that.

He makes very little changes unless forced and he is incapable of beating Aberdeen or Kille away so his tactics are to blame as is his formation it’s as simple as that.
We've changed "formation"/shape many times since Gerrard took over in general not just against Killie/aberdeen. Sometimes we've changed formation (and personel, and tactics..) and it's backfired (against killie last season after winter break... Forget this?) and hey what happened, half this forum was raging at him for changing formation instead of sticking to the tried and true.

What was it last season? "We shouldn't be changing formation against Killie of all teams.. Ffs" Yet you're here complaining he doesn't (he does) change formation... You simply can't win, if it's not one thing you'll find another thing to complain about.

How do you suppose the board could afford to sack Gerrard and his backroom staff, bring in a new manager and provide him with funds for the transfer window? You're right, it's absolutely mental that people don't have a grip on reality.

Nobody has said he's irreplaceable. I'm saying we don't have the funds to pay him and his backroom staff off, buy out the new managers contract and give him a decent transfer budget. If you think we can then please tell me where the money is coming from? There is only so much our board can do. We don't make any money from our retail. We're living
Nobody has said he's irreplaceable. I'm saying we don't have the funds to pay him and his backroom staff off, buy out the new managers contract and give him a decent transfer budget. If you think we can then please tell me where the money is coming from? There is only so much our board can do. We don't make any money from our retail. We're living on investments from our board and having a decent run in the europa

In essence you're saying no matter how bad things get between now and May we're stuck with Gerrard regardless due to contract issues.

I disagree with that.. if the rest of the season was a disaster the board would be forced to dig deep into their own pockets as they've done before.

Look back through this thread.. anytime anyone criticises him people jump on it straight away with 'who's going to replace him then?'.

Gerrard will be here next season and we'll still be having this debate when we regularly drop points with the masses defending him.

FWIW I think he will walk in the summer whilst his reputation is still intact and he will take a job down south. He would likely get a Newcastle or a West Ham type job.

When it comes to fan expectation our job is one of the worst in the world. The only thing that matters is being ahead of Celtic to the majority of our fans, nothing else matters. It's a mindset ingrained in our fans who still think it's the 90s / 00s and struggle to grasp the reality of the situation at our club since 2012.
I actually agree with this.

DylanGer is spot on when he talks about the support turning. It feels like yesterday was a watershed moment and for all the talk of patience we still have to actually live through them winning the league and , based on form, probably another treble. You also have to be realistic and say we're in a horrible rut and more dropped points look likely. What I'm basically saying is the ill feeling towards him will only get worse.

It's unfair but I think Gerrard is savvy enough to realise what's at play here. He's got works class agents around him. It will come down to his competitive instincts and his business sense.

A mutual parting seems likely. I think he's done well but I also think he's made errors as well.

There's what you'd like to happen and what is likely to happen with these things.

We've changed "formation"/shape many times since Gerrard took over in general not just against Killie/aberdeen. Sometimes we've changed formation (and personel, and tactics..) and it's backfired (against killie last season after winter break... Forget this?) and hey what happened, half this forum was raging at him for changing formation instead of sticking to the tried and true.

What was it last season? "We shouldn't be changing formation against Killie of all teams.. Ffs" Yet you're here complaining he doesn't (he does) change formation... You simply can't win, if it's not one thing you'll find another thing to complain about.

Hes made a lot of mistakes and continually makes the same ones if he didn’t we would be beating Aberdeen and Killie,

I really hope he turns it round and wins the Scottish cup but really can’t see it and being in this position next year is totally unacceptable.

In essence you're saying no matter how bad things get between now and May we're stuck with Gerrard regardless due to contract issues.

I disagree with that.. if the rest of the season was a disaster the board would be forced to dig deep into their own pockets as they've done before.

Look back through this thread.. anytime anyone criticises him people jump on it straight away with 'who's going to replace him then?'.

Gerrard will be here next season and we'll still be having this debate when we regularly drop points with the masses defending him.

So who are we appointing then to win us the title?

seeing as some can’t wait for season on season improvements to yield fruit......

I agree btw, if our current form continues serious questions of Gerrard should be asked. However we aren’t at that stage, we are significantly better off than last season, domestically and in Europe and worlds away in both arenas from when he took over.

If there is a manager out there who can win us the league next season I’m with you, get him in....

You honestly expected fat Sam to win things with the lower level teams he’s managed, not saying we should be going for him but we really need an experienced manager who knows the ropes and preferably has won things not another rookie vanity project.

No, not necessarily. But Newcastle, West Ham, Everton - those are teams that could/should be competing for a Cup.

The poster I was responding to seemed confident that Allardyce would be a success at Ibrox. There's been nothing in his career, however, that suggests he would. It's just a lazy suggestion.

I'm not saying we're stuck with Gerrard. If the rest of the season is a disaster I think he would walk. We wouldn't have to sack him. But if our form picks up and we finish the season well then he deserves to be here next season. If he does go this year I struggle to see any manager coming in next year and winning the league.

He needs to win the Scottish cup or else he should be sacked imo.
Do we wait another 8 months for a manager we can afford who isn't Del McInnes? After paying off Gerrard and his team?

Does that include if we make the Semi of the Europa league?

Had we still been 2 points behind and lost the league by such a margin and lost the Scottish Cup having gone out to Braga.
Would you have sacked him then?

So who are we appointing then to win us the title?

seeing as some can’t wait for season on season improvements to yield fruit......

I agree btw, if our current form continues serious questions of Gerrard should be asked. However we aren’t at that stage, we are significantly better off than last season, domestically and in Europe and worlds away in both arenas from when he took over.

If there is a manager out there who can win us the league next season I’m with you, get him in....

Chris Houghton would be my choice.

Plenty experience and done a great job at Brighton.

To be honest I've resigned myself to Gerrard being in charge next season.. this thread will probably be on page 500 with the same guys defending him.

Back