Sturgeon - When that clarity of the rules was given it was another country that they were planning on going to

Bonnyloyal

And earlier today, the First Minister questioned if the trip was really necessary for the club to take and says it is now for them to reflect on while giving her live TV broadcast.

Speaking this afternoon, she said: “On the point about Celtic. As I set out I think last week, my understanding is we gave the footballing authority for Celtic clarity on what the rules were and are and training camps for elite sport are permitted if it is in relation to performance or competition.

“We set out the rules, it is not the role of the Scottish Government. We are not formally on the Joint Response Group. It is not our role to give approval or not give approval to what a football team is doing.

“As I understand it, I think at the time when that clarity of the rules was given it was another country that they were planning on going to rather than Dubai and also, that was back in November.

“The world and the situation with Covid has changed quite a lot since then and the club itself described the trip to Dubai as R&R.

"We are not formally on the Joint Response Group.".

Good. Perhaps now the reckless, arrogant scum can stop deliberately implying the JRG decision to approve was essentially some sort of joint football/government approval for their trip in their frequent statements on the matter.

The "other country" bit is interesting. Would the advice have been the same if they had mentioned Dubai at the outset?

Utterly astonished that she's wading in so heavy against them. Can't stand her but good on her.

she’s not going that hard, and they’re giving her no choice with their constant statements that ‘they’ve done everything right’ and ‘the Government approved it’. If she doesn’t bat back a little bit then it leaves the idea that it’s the Scots Government who screwed this up, and she’ll never let that happen.

"We are not formally on the Joint Response Group.".

Good. Perhaps now the reckless, arrogant scum can stop deliberately implying the JRG decision to approve was essentially some sort of joint football/government approval for their trip in their frequent statements on the matter.

The "other country" bit is interesting. Would the advice have been the same if they had mentioned Dubai at the outset?
Listened to it live, can’t remember her saying it was to a different country in November.
I may be wrong, but though it was something like it was something like it’s a different world in November, meaning the world has changed since the trip was planned in November.

And earlier today, the First Minister questioned if the trip was really necessary for the club to take and says it is now for them to reflect on while giving her live TV broadcast.

Speaking this afternoon, she said: “On the point about Celtic. As I set out I think last week, my understanding is we gave the footballing authority for Celtic clarity on what the rules were and are and training camps for elite sport are permitted if it is in relation to performance or competition.

“We set out the rules, it is not the role of the Scottish Government. We are not formally on the Joint Response Group. It is not our role to give approval or not give approval to what a football team is doing.

“As I understand it, I think at the time when that clarity of the rules was given it was another country that they were planning on going to rather than Dubai and also, that was back in November.

“The world and the situation with Covid has changed quite a lot since then and the club itself described the trip to Dubai as R&R.
This just gets murkier and murkier. They clearly lied and didn't follow COVID rules as they think they are Teflon

She should have gave an ultimatum to the SPFL/SFA , punish them or else

Becuase if they didn’t then we would see the rest of the league and championship turn against both football governing bodies

Sturgeon’s actually come pretty close to calling the SFA/SPFL and Celtic liars.

She’ll have been given more details than have been publicly released.

She’ll have wondered why 50 staff had to travel.

She knows that they’ve breached the Covid rules and is calling the football authorities out.

Time for Rangers to demand the same punishments as meted out to players in other teams.

From what Sturgeon says (and this squares with what I thought) the Scottish government did not give specific approval to the trip. As she says, they just set out the rules.

Back