Surely it's time to move on from Daniel Candeias?

I think a number of posts have already summed it up, but he'll be a good squad player for us though not a regular starter anymore.

I'd feel comfortable knowing that Candeias is on the bench if we need to bring someone on to stretch the width of the game, or play on the counter.

Also his mentality and commitment is exactly the kind of attitude you want around the new guys coming in. It's important they understand what's expected at Rangers. It's one thing for players like McGregor, Arfield and Halliday to explain how big a club we are, but it's ever better when it comes from a foreign player who's really taken the club to his heart.

I would keep him. Think he is a good player who most definitely helps Tav to play better when he is in the team.

His assists get mentioned a lot, but to be honest, for the amount of crosses he makes he doesn't have a great assist tally.

Our right back has a far better ratio.

His assists get mentioned a lot, but to be honest, for the amount of crosses he makes he doesn't have a great assist tally.

Our right back pisses all over most players in the UK for assists/goals.

Granted this is a Candeias thread but I’d wager that most posters wanting rid of him will happily keep Kent who has contributed about the same amount of goals and assists I reckon. Happy for someone to provide stats to the contrary.

For 700k he’s been a great player for us and he’ll still be in our squad next season.

Our right back pisses all over most players in the UK for assists/goals.

Granted this is a Candeias thread but I’d wager that most posters wanting rid of him will happily keep Kent who has contributed about the same amount of goals and assists I reckon. Happy for someone to provide stats to the contrary.

For 700k he’s been a great player for us and he’ll still be in our squad next season.

Mate I know Tav's stats are ridiculous but you will still have people up for selling him for 8 mill.

Back on topic, I agree that he has been value for money and I have personally been up and down with Candeias. But his crossing is much more often miss than hit. Kent is a far more dangerous player, younger, more skillful, intelligent. The list goes on.

Not having a go at Candeias, but I think that his hard work masks his poor awareness. He works harder than anyone but is often caught out of position or switches off when he should be covering.

Reactions: Gee
Whether Candeias is good enough to be a first choice starter is debatable, however the guy is a good player and gives his heart and soul any time he's picked. Sometimes it seems to me that folk don't understand the value of good, dependable squad players. He looks like he has at least a couple of seasons still in him, so I hope Daniel is here for a while yet.

He is exactly the type of player we need for a few games a season, a squad player.

He shouldn't be a starter though, a decent option off the bench no more.

Would keep him solely on the purpose of playing him in European games. Really doesn't suit 90% of games in Scotland where we dominate the game as he simply cannot beat a man.

He was painfully bad against Hibs on Sunday.

Would keep him solely on the purpose of playing him in European games. Really doesn't suit 90% of games in Scotland where we dominate the game as he simply cannot beat a man.

He was painfully bad against Hibs on Sunday.

By far the best games he plays are away from home, quick counter attacking suits him so it is a good point.

As soon as he has to force it, or he has time to make a decision its downhill.

Candeias gets its bad on here he's one of the few players who has one bad game or one bad pass or shot and is immediately called crap and wanted sold on. When has a great game and is involved majorly in a goal he barely gets any recognition. I don't get why he isn't liked. He's inconsistent of course but so is Kent and he is loved on here.

Kent 6 goals, 6 assist in 23 games.
Candeias 5 goals, 5 assists in 28 games.

I don't think Candeias should be a starter next season but he should be a squad player, he can add a lot and as others have said I think Tav feels more comfortable with Candeias in front of him.

Candeias is a brilliant option to have, especially when we're playing on the counter and need people to press relentlessly. He was fantastic last year and has had another good year.

He'll be here next season as a squad player and hopefully leaves with a league winners medal.
Even if we get Kent back I'd still rather have ilhim the more players we have of that kind the better.

He really burst my knitting on Sunday, should have scored , should have laid on a simple pass inside for a goal and didn’t contribute much at all. There have been games this season when he contributed loads but he doesn’t score or assist enough for me.
Saying that for what we paid he has been a success and I would keep him but not as a starter every week.

Candeias gets its bad on here he's one of the few players who has one bad game or one bad pass or shot and is immediately called crap and wanted sold on. When has a great game and is involved majorly in a goal he barely gets any recognition. I don't get why he isn't liked. He's inconsistent of course but so is Kent and he is loved on here.

I don't think Candeias should be a starter next season but he should be a squad player, he can add a lot and as others have said I think Tav feels more comfortable with Candeias in front of him.
What about that assist for Alfie against rapid. Still think we should keep him.

Whether Candeias is good enough to be a first choice starter is debatable, however the guy is a good player and gives his heart and soul any time he's picked. Sometimes it seems to me that folk don't understand the value of good, dependable squad players. He looks like he has at least a couple of seasons still in him, so I hope Daniel is here for a while yet.
You've perfectly summed up why we have to ditch Candeias. 'Good' ' heart and soul' 'dependable' 'squad player'. The only thing you've missed is 'can do a job'. All of that says to me quite clearly he's what we need to be second best. Daniel Candeias is not of the standard required to overhaul Celtic over a season. So whether he starts regularly or is on the bench regularly is immaterial. I expect Celtic to upgrade. Debate it all you want, but imo he's clearly not good enough if we're to actually WIN the League.

You've perfectly summed up why we have to ditch Candeias. 'Good' ' heart and soul' 'dependable' 'squad player'. The only thing you've missed is 'can do a job'. All of that says to me quite clearly he's what we need to be second best. Daniel Candeias is not of the standard required to overhaul Celtic over a season. So whether he starts regularly or is on the bench regularly is immaterial. I expect Celtic to upgrade. Debate it all you want, but imo he's clearly not good enough if we're to actually WIN the League.

This , 100%

Now that we have more quality in our side he really stands out due to lacking it.

His pressing can be really effective but on the ball he can be a man down at times

As much as he works relentlessly, there are times (particularly recently) where l have had to double check he was actually playing.
He can be anonymous at times, for large chunks of a game, which for a winger, isn't really acceptable.

However, as covered above, he can also produce some acts of magic, therefore could be kept for squad purposes next season.

He didn't have a great game but the entire team was poor in the second half.

Kent was absolutely and utterly hopeless before he got hooked against Hibs. He wasn't feeling well which is fine but that doesn't change the fact that he had a complete and utter nightmare. But, because this is FF he gets a free pass because he's a Liverpool player, "worth 7m" etc, etc.

Absolutely ridiculous to compare an average journeyman winger to one of the best defensive midfielders of all time.

Tav would be lost without him is absolute bollocks as well.

I appreciate you have an opinion mate but it's simply wrong.

We need quality in there, work rate is all well and good but its quality players that win points and win trophies ultimately.
Candeias will be lost without Tav if it's Flanagan behind him next season.

Felt sorry for him yesterday. He works hard and gets the ball into the box. Been screaming out this season for a finisher who'll win the ball in the air and thought we got that when Laff came in then well the rest is history.

The whole idea of Tav being half the player without him has always been a load of shite.

I am more intrigued by the idea of what Tav looks like with an even better player in front of him

Kent was absolutely and utterly hopeless before he got hooked against Hibs. He wasn't feeling well which is fine but that doesn't change the fact that he had a complete and utter nightmare. But, because this is FF he gets a free pass because he's a Liverpool player, "worth 7m" etc, etc.

Nonsense. Kent has single handedly dragged us through certain games this season and does so much to create space and create openings. Plus he’s young so will develop.

Candeias does none of these things.

Comparing the two is an absolute insult to Ryan Kent, who actually has quality.

The whole idea of Tav being half the player without him has always been a load of shite.

I am more intrigued by the idea of what Tav looks like with an even better player in front of him

It’s a total myth that needs to die out.

If we are to go next level then we need to get next level players. Daniel is way too inconsistent in the position where we needed him to be on the ball. Especially against your Aberdeen’s of the world who we failed to break down. I’d agree there are others (Grezda) who should be a higher priority

Aye more shit probably does stick to Candieas, you are right, but there is 2 years of shitty inconsistent performances now.

It is now a thing that he can chuck in a total bomb scare of a display at anytime.

He missed two sitters yesterday then over hit a simple lay off to Morelos at the end of the game.

He’s not good enough in the final third, we need better quality at right wing.

He’s good enough for back up he cannot be in our starting XI next season if we genuinely want to win trophies.

He’s only got a year left on his contract anyway. He’ll be enough for back up next year then we’ll wish him well at the end of the season.
As much as I love the work ethics of Daniel Candeias, I thought he was particularly bad when he came on against Hibs on Sunday. He was unable to do the simple things and made basic errors that possibly affected his confidence.
Not sure if it was just an awful day at the office or he just lacks the intelligence and finesse we need in the final third of the pitch.

As much as i like Candeias i tend to agree that we need better in that position. His work rate is admirable but no end product too often. Certainly not someone who the finger should be pointed at for not giving his all.

As much as i like Candeias i tend to agree that we need better in that position. His work rate is admirable but no end product too often. Certainly not someone who the finger should be pointed at for not giving his all.

Agreed, definitely couldn't question his desire. Especially in a squad where it seems that we have a few 'non-tryers', highlighted in the 4-4 Liverpool game, he shouldn't and wouldn't be tarred with that brush, just feel now to take us to the next level his opportunities next season should be limited.

Candeias has six goals the same as Kent I'm sure overall, not as bad as everyone's stating.

Candeias is a brilliant option to have, especially when we're playing on the counter and need people to press relentlessly. He was fantastic last year and has had another good year.

He'll be here next season as a squad player and hopefully leaves with a league winners medal.

Spot on, I don't think he would spit the dummy too badly if we bring in a higher quality right sided attacker to replace him in the starting 11, looks unlikely that Grezda will be that player

The assist tally is a pointless one tbh as it doesn't show the chances created and missed.

Candeias has delivered some shockers but he's also put balls on a plate that his team mates have squandered.

We need more goals from him. He should be on double figures at least for the game time and chances he has had (talking league goals here).

The new shape does not suit him at all and if it is what we use going forward, and I think it will be, he will find himself with very limited game time next season.

I really like the guy and think that when he plays wide right, he is a real asset and a useful player for us, not to mention the fact he allows Tav so much freedom. The way we are lining up now? He is not technically good enough and his work-rate is negated a good deal. He has gone from one of the first names on the team sheet for me, and is now a substitute who we should be looking at replacing.

I think we need to have system options NL. We played very well in 4 matches but Hibs read our plan on Sunday.
We beat them because we have more quality & not due to the system on Sunday.
I think we need to wait a bit longer to establish if this is our default system. In fact I’d consider the 433 on Sunday as it worked well when we won on 29.12.
Relating that to DC, I’d keep him as a squad player to give us as many options as possible for next season.

Or could just reply with his actual goals and assists, which are below par.
Assists aren't really accepted as the best way of judging the quality of chances someone creates, mainly because it still relies on someone else sticking them away. There are better methods these days and they're laid out above. There was a great twitter post l seen last year that had a video of Candieas and the chances he was creating. There was a ton of them and not a single one in the clip ended in a goal.

Assists aren't really accepted as the best way of judging the quality of chances someone creates, mainly because it still relies on someone else sticking them away. There are better methods these days and they're laid out above. There was a great twitter post l seen last year that had a video of Candieas and the chances he was creating. There was a ton of them and not a single one in the clip ended in a goal.

Yes but if you create tons of chances then by the law of averages enough of them will be converted to boost your assist rating to a decent level.

So is Candeias just unlucky compared to other players in the league with more assists?

I find this hard to believe.

Yes but if you create tons of chances then by the law of averages enough of them will be converted to boost your assist rating to a decent level.

So is Candeias just unlucky compared to other players in the league with more assists?

I find this hard to believe.
In some cases it will be down to players not taking their chances, in other cases it's down to the fact Candieas doesn't take free kicks. If you look at assists only it includes goals from set pieces but the stat in the report above also looks at chances that were only created from open play and Candieas is top of the league in that regard, slightly ahead of Tav. They're both kinda in a league of their own though.

Back