The Pyro Debate - be aware any demented responses will result in a banning

If its done safely I see no problem with it. It only annoys me when you cant see whats going on on the pitch.

Pyro weans are a pain. Had an idiot wannabe Goon Brigade Da give about a dozen cannisters to the Under 13s he coaches. Idiot.

Seen it damage the surfaces at Junior Grounds and you will an SFA fine if it enters the field of play.

It needs managing as it does have a risk to others in a tight ground.

Personally I don’t like Pyro, I think it’s not necessary. If the team is playing well we can surely creat a great atmosphere without it.

It was incredible but I have often wondered why red was chosen and not blue. Could we not get enough blue at the time?
I think at the time I read that they were saving the blue ones for the big day. The Clydeside display was on the Friday night. I am sure Man City fans were struggling to buy blue flares as well as Rangers fans had snapped them all up.

He knows its only 1 club that has had a major incident with a child being badly burnt by their fans Pyro and that's Celtic and the GB but, he still uses a picture in his article of Rangers fans. Now, as a journalist shouldnt he be trying to Interview the parent of the child badly burnt by the Celtic/GB Pyro to show the dangers of not being saftey conscious when using Pyro?

No pyro, no party. Pyros are part of football culture.
Agree with this. We live in a world where people want to sanitise and molly coddle every situation.

Football is about tribal rivalry. It should never get to the point we have mixed areas and all meet for a sherry after the game.

It is about tribal emotion and pyro adds to that.

I'm in the Coastguard and have done umpteen training sessions on pyro and flares. The main ingredient phosphorus that's in pyro can cut through bone in less than 5 seconds. There's nothing safe about pyro.
Also the smoke causes obvious lung damage and life changing damage to nervous system and also can bring on heart attack to those already with heart problems including arrhythmia.

Last edited:
Following the Norwegian example would be the easy answer.
Agreed rules about who can operate Pyro, where they can do it, and at what times would make it safe for everyone.
If Norway can do it, Scotland can.

However, the problem is likely to be the SNP not wanting to see red, white and blue pyrotechnics as a Football ground.

It has to be pre-arranged. I don't agree with anyone just being able to bring in pyro. Had a flare burn my eyes at a youth cup final years ago & spent most of the game washing my eyes in the toilet.

Organised with warning - excellent.
Some guy pulls a flare out without warning - not so excellent.

cup semi Vs them under Warburton someone behind me set one off out of nowhere.

I've fairly bad asthma and couldn't breathe, there were kids crying..

Had exactly the same be arranged rather than the way it was done, no-one would have had an issue

Firstly im 47 years of age and too old for the pyro loyal!

Do I like being near them? No

Do they bring colour and atmosphere etc? Yes

The obvious solution to this is pyro attached to the roof of Ibrox ;-)

Safe distancem adds to atmosphere.

(This is only a moderately serious suggestion)

It’s the modern day football culture that comes with ultras. Looks amazing especially on tv. Especially a big rivalry match. No pyro no party lol

I think we first have to ask ourselves, how does it benefit the fan, and how does it benefit the team?

The obvious response is it adds to the atmosphere which in turn could have an effect on the way the team plays, or the opposition plays.

So the next question is, okay, so at what cost?

And if the cost is something like @Bobby De Niro or @SecondBestIsNothing's post, smuggling it in to the physical detriment or discomfort of fans... that's a hard no from me.

It needs to be coordinated and safe.

I get the feeling with pyro that it’s being done because others do it, not because it’s any sort of original or defining statement about Rangers. Certainly not our “culture”
Dont get me wrong, I’m not saying monkey see, monkey do, it obviously appeals to many.
I‘m still a bit lost as to what it achieves, as it does nothing for me at all. Many will say atmosphere, spectacle etc. Fine, what ever lights your candle.
It’s tolerated by many, rather than looked forward to, as in “I wonder when the pyro starts”
As long as nobody is hurt or suffers lasting harm then it has currency. The minute that changes, then it does not and those taking the chance now, should not run from responsibility then.
I prefer to watch the game unimpeded by smoke.

My daughters love the pyro displays. I always choose west stand at hampden and we head down near the UB

More of it imo

it looks good but I am not a big fan of the 'ultras' culture. Banging and a drum and singing monotone chants doesn't fit with British football.

Was watching shake v Dortmund at the weekend and after the game the players went to their ultras for a good 5 mins after a draw. Was cringing on their behalf

Looks class, adds to the display of the match/experience/atmosphere.

The clubs/media can't have it both ways where they try and vilify it but will happily use the images for social media/advertising to drive clicks and interactions.
It isn’t as simple as the club having issue with it.
If something goes wrong, and don’t think it can’t, it’s they who are responsible.
I meant to add that it’ll be the police and H&S who’ll be objecting the most.

I’ll have a read of that!
I get the argument about safety and there have been burning incidents in football and those who suffer breathing difficulties but it looks spectacular and adds an intimidating and vibrancy to our support.
Always wondered if there is a safe way, we have indoor fireworks in this day and age so there must be a safe way of releasing some smoke outdoors?
Just seems draconian, you’re not allowed them and there’s no compromise.
Like that’s not a red rag to a bull with any generations youths. Tell me I can’t do it, I will do it
There is no doubt the proper ones look brilliant but, can you compromise the health and safety of individuals because something looks good?
Or be scared of upsetting some fans?

I get the feeling with pyro that it’s being done because others do it, not because it’s any sort of original or defining statement about Rangers. Certainly not our “culture”
Dont get me wrong, I’m not saying monkey see, monkey do, it obviously appeals to many.
I‘m still a bit lost as to what it achieves, as it does nothing for me at all. Many will say atmosphere, spectacle etc. Fine, what ever lights your candle.
It’s tolerated by many, rather than looked forward to, as in “I wonder when the pyro starts”
As long as nobody is hurt or suffers lasting harm then it has currency. The minute that changes, then it does not and those taking the chance now, should not run from responsibility then.
I prefer to watch the game unimpeded by smoke.
Rather sweeping statement there. Taking your view and applying it to the wider support.

I for one really enjoy when the UB have an organised Pyro display. The 15th anniversary one was brilliant and many if not most around me had their phone out videoing, which tells me others like it too.

It's all very well saying they look good but when you have guys in balaclavas standing in front of you waving smoking flares, it not that nice. This happened to us at the cup final before each half. Once they were finished waving it, they dropped the flares, left it burning and pissed off leaving the guys who were sitting there to deal with it.
Also the display was made up of plastic sheets - not a good combination with fire. Not everyone can cope with the flares especially kids.
If they want to do it, keep it in the UB section and not in the GP

I'm all for improving atmosphere at games - especially when I consider what a packed Ibrox has been like at times
When it's rocking - there's nothing better IMO
When it's flat & quiet - it's not nearly so enjoyable

I'm unconvinced pyros significantly contribute to change the atmosphere for the better

Personally I'm not going to be affected enough by a pyro to shout or sing more
In fact when it affects my view there's less chance I'll be inclined to react to events on the pitch

Of course there's a very definite visual effect- but who is that affecting ? Opposing players, fans & TV cameras are the main observers
I've not noticed many of our fans around me watching as if it was a fireworks display

Seems to me the majority of the opposition players are not going to be intiminated in any way by pyros

I'm not against pyros in general- but I can't help thinking - maybe the main enthusiasts for pyros are those that actually let them off

I'm in the Coastguard and have done umpteen training sessions on pyro and flares. The main ingredient phosphorus that's in pyro can cut through bone in less than 5 seconds. There's nothing safe about pyro.
Also the smoke causes obvious lung damage and life changing damage to nervous system and also can bring on heart attack to those already with heart problems including arrhythmia.
It's illegal for a reason, and that reason isn't to spoil your fun. You want to play with fire? Fine, just do it on your own time, and don't put other supporters at risk.

The main ingredient phosphorus that's in pyro can cut through bone in less than 5 seconds.

"Aye, but nothing will ever happen. It's totally safe."

Back