The Pyro Debate - be aware any demented responses will result in a banning

Part of Matthew Lindsay's 'article' headed The Official Response quotes an SPFL spokesman, why a substitute, why no Doncaster or MacLennan ? Surely if it came from 'the top' it would carry more weight ?
Hiding?

In another 'article' Lindsay states that talks were held involving representatives from Scottish FA, SPFL, Scottish Government, Police Scotland, and the Football Safety Officers Association Scotland at Hampden last month following the debacle at Dundee.

As we used to say at work "When all's said and done, more is said than done".

If the use of pyro is against the law it is up to the police to enforce it.
If the ploice can't enforce it then the law is useless.

"But the clubs must do more" is the oft repeated mantra, so based on the above let's shove all the onus on to the clubs and I reckon that would be the summary of conclusions and actions resulting from that meeting.

Just for the record, I’m against it on the grounds that it’s open to abuse by the less socially responsible members of the support.

Also, been in amongst the thick of it and struggled to breathe for a short time. I pod don’t like anything that obscures my view of the game.

Done right it looks good though and maybe it’s a generational thing but it’s a no from me.

It’s I suppose more of a generation thing, the younger supporters where they don’t think on safety issues, those older that might have experienced, life changing accidents from friends/relations that Pyro/Fireworks, realise the damage thoughtlessness can carry?

Part of Matthew Lindsay's 'article' headed The Official Response quotes an SPFL spokesman, why a substitute, why no Doncaster or MacLennan ? Surely if it came from 'the top' it would carry more weight ?
Hiding?

In another 'article' Lindsay states that talks were held involving representatives from Scottish FA, SPFL, Scottish Government, Police Scotland, and the Football Safety Officers Association Scotland at Hampden last month following the debacle at Dundee.

"But the clubs must do more" is the oft repeated mantra, so based on the above let's shove all the onus on to the clubs and I reckon that would be the summary of conclusions and actions resulting from that meeting.
Clubs will not request additional officers to police a game as it costs a fortune for a constable alone never mind supervisors. Hence why you see more stewards these days who are useless but think they are more important than they are.

It certainly adds to the atmosphere no doubt about it, done safely I don't see an issue. I know others will feel differently especially around health issues like asthma etc.

I can see both sides of it.
1. It looks great when seen on TV and sometimes in real life. Sunday afternoon, pre match being a great example
2. But not always in real life. If you're in an open bowl stadium like old Ibrox, or the national stadium in Sarajevo where I experienced it, smoke isn't kept in the space and blows away very easily. Not necessarily the case in our more modern stadium or, the indoor ice hockey stadium in Olomouc where I also experienced it. (I almost choked on laughing when the Czechs unfurled a "no pyro no party" banner.
3. Flares should never be thrown onto an artificial surface.

I’ll have a read of that!
I get the argument about safety and there have been burning incidents in football and those who suffer breathing difficulties but it looks spectacular and adds an intimidating and vibrancy to our support.
Always wondered if there is a safe way, we have indoor fireworks in this day and age so there must be a safe way of releasing some smoke outdoors?
Just seems draconian, you’re not allowed them and there’s no compromise.
Like that’s not a red rag to a bull with any generations youths. Tell me I can’t do it, I will do it
I suspect the problems aren’t the organised displays but Joe Soap, probably imbibed, doing his own thing. Throwing them around is a big no no. The problem is how to stop Joe Soap. As usual, the minority spoil it for the majority.

We live in woke times. A very strange time when the wokes out there are trying their best to suck the enjoyment out of life.

Nothing wrong with the pyrotechnics in my opinion.
This isn’t about ‘woke ness’. (What a wanky phrase). It’s about health and safety. Also, importantly, what people’s limits are.

If people are genuinely scared or worry about their safety due to these fireworks. Then they should be banned and it should be enforced. It’s really as simple as that.

The people lighting them are more concerned about the spectacle and being someone who goes against what people want. They have no concern about people round about them. That’s not right.

The smoke bombs don't bother me. But the flares at Dens Park were potentially dangerous, especially in close proximity to you. Not so bad for me, but don't think it's fair for people there with young children to have to tolerate it. Plus it causes the stewards to give all of our support grief at the turnstiles.

Arrived at match on Sunday to see 2 lads on either side right beside us with balaclavas on and holding the flares. Both very responsible with them tbh, made sure we were standing far back enough when setting them off then explained how long they would go before burning out. Really added to the atmosphere so can't complain really. Some old guy trying to scrap with them saying it would set fire to the concrete steps. Obviously that didn't happen and they burnt out without issue.

This isn’t about ‘woke ness’. (What a wanky phrase). It’s about health and safety. Also, importantly, what people’s limits are.

If people are genuinely scared or worry about their safety due to these fireworks. Then they should be banned and it should be enforced. It’s really as simple as that.

The people lighting them are more concerned about the spectacle and being someone who goes against what people want. They have no concern about people round about them. That’s not right.
So just ban anything that some fans are scared of?

Fuckin heard it all now, if people are that scared get a ticket in north stand or to be even safer watch it in the house from behind the sofa

So just ban anything that some fans are scared of?

Fuckin heard it all now, if people are that scared get a ticket in north stand or to be even safer watch it in the house from behind the sofa
No. Make sure illegal things that can harm others stay away from large groups of people.

Wokism is definitely creeping into every aspect of people’s lives.

You have much more chance of being hurt by a car, bus etc on the way to Ibrox than being hurt by a pyrotechnic

Pyro can never be completely safe. It could be life threatening to asthma or COPD sufferers.

I agree it can never be completely safe (nothing can really) but do you have a single example of an asthma/COPD sufferer dying or becoming hospitalised by it?

I ask because I have pretty severe asthma myself and have been in amongst it numerous times and have never felt like I'm in bother. You'd think if it was life threatening you'd hear of people taking a bad turn from it more often as It's so common. Not being a dick btw, genuine question as there may well be examples that I've missed.

Wokism is definitely creeping into every aspect of people’s lives.

You have much more chance of being hurt by a car, bus etc on the way to Ibrox than being hurt by a pyrotechnic
I hate the whole concern of ‘woke’. It’s a stain on society. This is has nothing to do with it.

You are right. But there are safety measures put in place to protect people’s safety when it comes to cars etc. there are no safety measures when it comes to people taking fireworks into a packed crowd.

It’s just reckless and we shouldn’t have to wait till a serious injury happens before we decide it’s a stupid idea.

I hate the whole concern of ‘woke’. It’s a stain on society. This is has nothing to do with it.

You are right. But there are safety measures put in place to protect people’s safety when it comes to cars etc. there are no safety measures when it comes to people taking fireworks into a packed crowd.

It’s just reckless and we shouldn’t have to wait till a serious injury happens before we decide it’s a stupid idea.
Fireworks? Who does that?

It can look really good if done right.

I don’t really know anything about the safety aspect of it - if it’s unsafe in terms of fire risk or causing breathing difficulties it’s hard to be in favour of it.

I mainly don’t like it because it just gives people a reason to take a kick at the club, but part of me even with that thinks %^*& it - if it wasn’t pyro it would be something else.

My pals bag got burnt on sunday with one. He droped it and done a runner it fell on to.her bag burn right through it. Most off stuff inside was ruined.

He did tell everyone before hand he was foing to light it, staying out rode so their jackets dis not get burnt. Did no think it was going to burn a massive hole in your bag.

Not going to lie the visual impact looks amazing......but when you're struggling to see the first 10 minutes of the game through a haze it's a pain in the a**e

I’m not a huge fan of the pyros at the football, but will admit over the last couple of seasons the UB have improved their own personal use of them.

In the days of the lower divisions, it just looked really poor and amateurish, however I think they’re starting to nail the proper use of it.

I agree now.

Of course, we can’t be throwing lit pyro around as has happened in Scotland before (maybe not us, but I’m sure I remember pyro burning up artificial pitches etc).

However, I thought the Dundee display was fabulous. There’s an amazing shot of Danilo at Dens with the pyro display behind him. It’s a thing of beauty.

And the weekend display looked pretty good as well. I suppose the key is being organised and using it safely without endangering other fans.

I agree now.

Of course, we can’t be throwing lit pyro around as has happened in Scotland before (maybe not us, but I’m sure I remember pyro burning up artificial pitches etc).

However, I thought the Dundee display was fabulous. There’s an amazing shot of Danilo at Dens with the pyro display behind him. It’s a thing of beauty.

And the weekend display looked pretty good as well. I suppose the key is being organised and using it safely without endangering other fans.
Us, during the "banter years"

There's no doubt the look great at the start of the game, but they do burn at a stupidly hot temperature and folk chuck them out (not at) towards stewards if one was accidentally hit, shit would hit the fan.

Sooner or latter there is going to be an accident.

Don't want to see a ban but there needs to be more safety guidelines and people need to follow them.

They’ve maybe ran their course. I don’t have particularly strong feelings either way however purely due to the fact they’re relatively dangerous I probably lean towards thinking we could do without. They don’t really add to the atmosphere IMO.

Pros: it looks really good

Cons: the club get fined and it’s not ideal for anyone near said pyro in the stadium

You can argue which one trumps the other, but that’s the gist of it

Don't really see the point tbh and I'm not a fan of anything that potentially gets the club a fine. Love the big banner displays more

Hiding?

Clubs must do more - do what exactly?

I was searched going into the North Stand on Sunday. I guess everyone going into the West stand was searched also. How do they get past the search?

It was quite an impressive display mind you, especially compared to the sad attempt at the other side of the ground.

Back