The Scottish Amateur Cup 2018/2019

Should probably have been out of sight in the first half.

True but performance was below standard for us.

2 Red cards didn't help either as both players were down to be in the initial 5 penalty takers. Boy (Lewis Cameron) who had the final penalty saved had already taken 2 against that keeper.

True but performance was below standard for us.

2 Red cards didn't help either as both players were down to be in the initial 5 penalty takers. Boy (Lewis Cameron) who had the final penalty saved had already taken 2 against that keeper.

I thought they made a mistake changing the order of the kickers when the penalties came round again but it’s all very well being smart in retrospect. Oban have a very good record in the majors in the last few years and will be pushed on in the West by their Scottish defeat.

The imminent league change will also help them.

I thought they made a mistake changing the order of the kickers when the penalties came round again but it’s all very well being smart in retrospect. Oban have a very good record in the majors in the last few years and will be pushed on in the West by their Scottish defeat.

The imminent league change will also help them.

Asked the referee if it was allowed and as they had missed the first kick thought a change was the right thing to do.
Should have made the league move a few years back but were loyal to the SAFL who first accepted them decades ago.
New management team plus the behaviour of a visiting team this season made it a easy decision in the end.

Asked the referee if it was allowed and as they had missed the first kick thought a change was the right thing to do.
Should have made the league move a few years back but were loyal to the SAFL who first accepted them decades ago.
New management team plus the behaviour of a visiting team this season made it a easy decision in the end.

Their move might be the beginning of the end of the SAFL as a genuinely strong league. I say the beginning because I think other might follow them.

There’s a definite improvement in Oban this season, possibly the management change or maybe the return of some players that were away for differing reasons. They’ll be a good addition to the CSAFL.

Stewarton’s manager was very complimentary about Glasgow University’s performance on Saturday.

I’ve only seen them once this season and have to say they didn’t strike me as a team that would threaten in the majors but they do have a good draw here and are at a stage where anything can happen.

I wouldn’t say they are worse than the Cambria team that win the West in 2017.
Stewarton started well bot once GU settled there was only going to be one winner.
They are a good young footballing side ,a good few ex pro youth boys ,but they lack the nasty side required at amatuer

West of Scotland Cup results

Cambria 4 EKYM 2 (AET)

Colville Park 1 Bannockburn 3

Hurlford AFC 1 Goldenhill 3

Neilston 2 South Lochaber Thistle 1 (AET)

Strathclyde Uni 0 Harestanes 3

Always enjoy reading this thread.

Appreciate the updates mate.

Updated West of Scotland Cup draw following today’s results. Again, apologies I can’t edit the earlier or post to prevent the duplication.

Oban Saints AFC v Neilston

Goldenhill v Cambria

Glasgow University v Irvine Meadow

Southside v Crookston Castle

Dumbarton Academy FP v Third Lanark

Harestanes v St. Patrick's FP

East Dunbartonshire v Shortlees

Bannockburn v Tynecastle

Well worth their win mate. David Grant was exceptional, makes a real difference to Bannockburn.

He’s a cracking player mate. I played a game for Milton years ago, as they were a bit thin for players. He was only 19 at the time and ran the opposition defence absolutely ragged.

As others have said cheers for the posts, I’m very much out the loop with the Ams now so it’s good to get a few updates.

One of the best forwards in the Amateur game at the moment. Guy is strong as a Ox. Good win for Bannockburn today but they have it all to do again next Saturday. I’m sure Michael Kennedy (Colville Manager) will want to put one over wee Jinky (Bannockburn Manager) next week. Will be a cracker. Expect Dalziel Park again with either 1300/1500 kick off.

Stewarton started well bot once GU settled there was only going to be one winner.
They are a good young footballing side ,a good few ex pro youth boys ,but they lack the nasty side required at amatuer

Don’t need the nasty side if they retain the ball

One of the best forwards in the Amateur game at the moment. Guy is strong as a Ox. Good win for Bannockburn today but they have it all to do again next Saturday. I’m sure Michael Kennedy (Colville Manager) will want to put one over wee Jinky (Bannockburn Manager) next week. Will be a cracker. Expect Dalziel Park again with either 1300/1500 kick off.

Very good player in his day too.

Their move might be the beginning of the end of the SAFL as a genuinely strong league. I say the beginning because I think other might follow them.

There’s a definite improvement in Oban this season, possibly the management change or maybe the return of some players that were away for differing reasons. They’ll be a good addition to the CSAFL.
It's decline started years ago when they failed to clamp down on a few scumbag treams. Lost Greenock, St Pats, Gartcosh, Pollok within a couple of years then good well run teams liked Cambria and Eaglesham followed. Always a good trip to Oban, worth staying for the night out too

It's decline started years ago when they failed to clamp down on a few scumbag treams. Lost Greenock, St Pats, Gartcosh, Pollok within a couple of years then good well run teams liked Cambria and Eaglesham followed. Always a good trip to Oban, worth staying for the night out too

I agree that it’s not the same as it was back then but I’d say that’s across the board at the moment.

As far as the SAFL goes specifically, they’ve lost Oban to the CSAFL, Motherwell Thistle has, unfortunately, been destroyed by Larkhall swallowing them up which leaves Alba, Goldenhill and St Joseph’s in my opinion. If they look to go, or even one of them, I’d say the SAFL is in bother.

He’s a cracking player mate. I played a game for Milton years ago, as they were a bit thin for players. He was only 19 at the time and ran the opposition defence absolutely ragged.

As others have said cheers for the posts, I’m very much out the loop with the Ams now so it’s good to get a few updates.

He’s got better every time I’ve seen him. He left the amateur scene a number of years ago and has played with Sauchie juniors and East Stirling in the interim period. I think he might have had a spell in Canada as well.

On today’s performance I’m not sure that Colville Park, as strong as they are, have an answer to the problems he causes.

Remember those teams playing up here versus Saints. Some cracking games that were usually of a high quality back then. Sadly there are a few teams in the league now who shouldn't be there.
Winger from Greenock (Barry Munro) always played well against us.

I agree that it’s not the same as it was back then but I’d say that’s across the board at the moment.

As far as the SAFL goes specifically, they’ve lost Oban to the CSAFL, Motherwell Thistle has, unfortunately, been destroyed by Larkhall swallowing them up which leaves Alba, Goldenhill and St Joseph’s in my opinion. If they look to go, or even one of them, I’d say the SAFL is in bother.

One of the teams you mention have told me they are seriously considering leaving in the next year or so.

Remember those teams playing up here versus Saints. Some cracking games that were usually of a high quality back then. Sadly there are a few teams in the league now who shouldn't be there.
Winger from Greenock (Barry Munro) always played well against us.
Always a good battle v Keith Millar. Davie Buchanan always looked after us. We went on a night out and ended up drinking with the Saints players. Bit of a connection between Cambria and Oban. Had a few ex Oban boys playing when I retired

Did you watch the game? What formations did both teams play?

Yes, I watched it. Both pretty much played a 4-4-2, Colville’s midfield was probably a bit more narrow and trying to push Chrissy Craig on. I think they’d like to have had him more involved, certainly further up the park.

Bannockburn’s wide midfielders were more natural wide players, Sean Heaver in particular. He’s another very good player.

[
Very good player in his day too.

Michael was a very good player in his day. Won medals/trophies/majors wherever he went. Very successful so far at Colville. Next week will take care of itself. Can Bannockburn beat them back to back. One thing it will most definitely be a cracker and a great advert for Amateur football

[

Michael was a very good player in his day. Won medals/trophies/majors wherever he went. Very successful so far at Colville. Next week will take care of itself. Can Bannockburn beat them back to back. One thing it will most definitely be a cracker and a great advert for Amateur football

Agreed. Played against him a good few times and a couple of times for a select team. Cruised it every time. He was never the biggest or most physical, which was unusual for an amateur CH, but read the game so well and was excellent on the ball. Got the impression he could have played anywhere on the pitch.

Agreed. Played against him a good few times and a couple of times for a select team. Cruised it every time. He was never the biggest or most physical, which was unusual for an amateur CH, but read the game so well and was excellent on the ball. Got the impression he could have played anywhere on the pitch.

Michael played most positions on the pitch bar keeper. Very talented player who read the game well. Had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Not unknown to be the unofficial referee on the pitch as well. A total winner.

Always a good battle v Keith Millar. Davie Buchanan always looked after us. We went on a night out and ended up drinking with the Saints players. Bit of a connection between Cambria and Oban. Had a few ex Oban boys playing when I retired
Keith retired at the start of this season, Very good player, as was his brother Derek who was with St Mirren. I think Joe Lopez played for Cambria after leaving us.

I think Danny is now working in Edinburgh with his own physio business. Looks after quite a few people with money, some of whom wanted him to travel with them on various holidays around the world. No idea what Joe & Scott are up to.

Agree with this, the SAFL has been getting weaker year on year. Oban moving is a huge blow to the league. At the moment there is a huge gulf between about 4 sides at the top of the Premier and the rest of the setup.

http://www.safl.co.uk/index.php?id=archives

If you have a look a the archives here it shows how many top sides have left over the years.

Keith retired at the start of this season, Very good player, as was his brother Derek who was with St Mirren. I think Joe Lopez played for Cambria after leaving us.

Who was the boy that played in goals for Saints and Cambria? Was it one of the Cassells?

Cambria could be a dark horse if they get through and get a decent run to the final. They're a better side now than when they won The West a couple of seasons back.

Re: players being paid...

Look at some of the players playing amateur and how far they need to travel, then ask yourself if they'd do that just for the joy of the game?

Plenty of guys who've dropped out from good junior sides and even some senior to play amateur? Nah.

Re: players being paid...

Look at some of the players playing amateur and how far they need to travel, then ask yourself if they'd do that just for the joy of the game?

Plenty of guys who've dropped out from good junior sides and even some senior to play amateur? Nah.

It goes on for sure i have played for both saturday and sunday teams where players have been getting £

I saw Alba last weekend at the pitch across from my house in Ralston, it was a great tie to watch. I know the next round is the 2nd of February mate but how do I find out the time and venue?

Match tomorrow is a 1315 kick off at Ralston 3G. At the moment the game is on, I guess there will be a pitch inspection in the morning but it will have to be very early as Rothie will be in the road at the crack of dawn.

Anyone wanting their fix tomorrow can watch EKYM vs dunblane at toryglen indoor 2pm kick off.

A win for YM secures us promotion to the cale premier

That’s if your not going to Ibrox of course (I’m heading over for 2nd half hopefully)

About time EKYM got into cale premier , used to play against them when I played with Broomhouse!

Used to love winning your tournament every year lol

Last edited:
Match tomorrow is a 1315 kick off at Ralston 3G. At the moment the game is on, I guess there will be a pitch inspection in the morning but it will have to be very early as Rothie will be in the road at the crack of dawn.

Thanks for that Rosco, I stay 40 yards from the pitch so, nice and handy.

Not sure if Ralston is Council-run, but my dad coaches a youth fc and their game at Castlehead High was called off yesterday because of a frozen pitch. Just a heads-up I guess for anyone going.

Not sure if Ralston is Council-run, but my dad coaches a youth fc and their game at Castlehead High was called off yesterday because of a frozen pitch. Just a heads-up I guess for anyone going.

It's run by Renfrewshire leisure. Once or twice a year it can be off, normally when there's been a lot of rain and then freezes.

der-goalie

yous lads had a decent side. I played with whitehills before they folded. think we played against each other a couple of times?

Back