The Scottish Amateur Cup

Noticed they beat Dalziel that's a good result and they are clearly no mugs to get a draw with Goldenhill as well given the way their season is going. Tullibody don't seem to be doing very well in their league though which is surprising as it's a pretty average league they are in.

Goldenhill team is made up of the basis of the Goldenhill 21s team who won the Scottish a few seasons back.

I played against that Goldenhill 21's team in my first game at 21's after moving up from 19's - what a shock to the system that was. Think they beat us 5-1, a frighteningly good team.

If it's still the same team they have a great chance.

I’ve not watched a junior game for a while but I’d fancy the top amateur sides to compete with the middle of the road junior clubs and possibly the top junior clubs on a one off basis but not consistently.

They quite often play frendlies against each other which are tight. Hard to gauge it in friendlies though.

There are players leaving/knocking back senior and junior clubs to play amateur.

This definitely used to be the case in Ayrshire amateur football. Used to regularly play Ayrshire district teams and beat them and held our own against vast majority of league above.

Not sure if it still will be the case now though . The standard of Ayrshire amateur football is terrible just now, only need to look at this years Scottish to see that. Hurlford taking the piss and getting away with it being the main reason for this, in my opinion. Think a lot of good players, who would have previously played with good amateur sides, wonder what the point is in playing in a competition that is a waste of time because of them and either go Junior or pack in.

Can’t comment on junior as I don’t watch it, but even if standards are falling at that level too I’d guess there’s a bigger gap between amateur and junior sides than there used to be.

I’ve not watched a junior game for a while but I’d fancy the top amateur sides to compete with the middle of the road junior clubs and possibly the top junior clubs on a one off basis but not consistently.

They quite often play frendlies against each other which are tight. Hard to gauge it in friendlies though.

There are players leaving/knocking back senior and junior clubs to play amateur.
Thanks mate.

This definitely used to be the case in Ayrshire amateur football. Used to regularly play Ayrshire district teams and beat them and held our own against vast majority of league above.

Not sure if it still will be the case now though . The standard of Ayrshire amateur football is terrible just now, only need to look at this years Scottish to see that. Hurlford taking the piss and getting away with it being the main reason for this, in my opinion. Think a lot of good players, who would have previously played with good amateur sides, wonder what the point is in playing in a competition that is a waste of time because of them and either go Junior or pack in.

Can’t comment on junior as I don’t watch it, but even if standards are falling at that level too I’d guess there’s a bigger gap between amateur and junior sides than there used to be.

The general stamdard might have dropped in Ayrshire mate but Shortlees are in with a right good chance of winning both the Scottish and the West.

The general stamdard might have dropped in Ayrshire mate but Shortlees are in with a right good chance of winning both the Scottish and the West.

Shortlees v Oban Saints play this Saturday in the West. Oban beat them 2-1 in the Scottish Cup Q/F a couple of years ago. A cracking game between two very good teams iirc.

To show the turnover in the Saints squad in 2 years i believe only 4 of that team will play this weekend.

I’d agree with this. I played in the Central Scottish a few years back (when it was called the McEwans) and The standard was excellent.

Ourselves (Tullibody)
Kilsyth
Drumchapel Utd
Harestanes
Colville
Leith Athletic
Wellhouse

I’d have fancied any of those teams to beat any junior side outwith the two Super Leagues.

Write us off as you wish (Yoker) against Oban!! Should be a cracking game. Looking forward to it.
As for the Amatuer standard to Junior, played with Harestanes for a couple of years when we won the
Scottish and league etc and although being friendlies we gave a few Junior teams a lesson. The standard at lower to mid level junior isn’t that great. Lot of boys I’ve played with just can’t be ar5ed with the commitment to playing junior football but could easily play at the top level.

Write us off as you wish (Yoker) against Oban!! Should be a cracking game. Looking forward to it.
As for the Amatuer standard to Junior, played with Harestanes for a couple of years when we won the
Scottish and league etc and although being friendlies we gave a few Junior teams a lesson. The standard at lower to mid level junior isn’t that great. Lot of boys I’ve played with just can’t be ar5ed with the commitment to playing junior football but could easily play at the top level.
Where is the game this Saturday

If I hadn’t seen a number of SAFL teams I’d be inclined to agree with you mate. In the recent past I’ve watched Oban, St Joseph’s, Motherwell Thistle, Barrhead Arky, Alba Thistle & EKFC and the standard has pleasantly surprised me.

Goldenhill could have had an off day on Saturday I suppose. Let’s see what the replay brings.

Lochgilphead Red Star are having some season domestically too. I see Campbeltown Pupils have steadied the ship recently after a poor spell and will consolidate their place in div 1 it seems, they had some team back in the day, especially around 1998 ish!

Don't know much about you but i know the boys are expecting a close game on the 3rd. Don't forget your outdoor survival suit, you'll need it.

I don’t think anyone is writing you off mate, merely looking at the pedigree of both clubs (Oban beaten

Lochgilphead Red Star are having some season domestically too. I see Campbeltown Pupils have steadied the ship recently after a poor spell and will consolidate their place in div 1 it seems, they had some team back in the day, especially around 1998 ish!

Seen them a couple of weeks ago v Oban Saints and was impressed by them. Deserved their victory on the night even though it went to penalties the better team progressed.

The improvement in the 3 or so years when they lost 8 or 9-0 was impressive. A few ex-Saints players might have helped though i suppose.

Seen them a couple of weeks ago v Oban Saints and was impressed by them. Deserved their victory on the night even though it went to penalties the better team progressed.

The improvement in the 3 or so years when they lost 8 or 9-0 was impressive. A few ex-Saints players might have helped though i suppose.

I think we had two ex-Saints players in the team against them (one was the 'keeper) and although they are decent players I don't think either of them would get a sniff of the Saints team tbh. I certainly wouldn't call them mainstays of the Red Star team.

Oban seem to have kicked on since that game so might have been the boot up the backside they needed.

I think we had two ex-Saints players in the team against them (one was the 'keeper) and although they are decent players I don't think either of them would get a sniff of the Saints team tbh. I certainly wouldn't call them mainstays of the Red Star team.

Oban seem to have kicked on since that game so might have been the boot up the backside they needed.

Taking nothing away from Red Star but the Saints performance that night was the worst seen at home for years. Lucky to get to penalties tbh. Regarding the ex-players, big Martin would have played most of the games up until new year such was the unavailability of players.

West of Scotland Cup Quarter Final draw:

Easthall Star or Southside v Hurlford Thistle

UB United or Maryhill Black Star v Shortlees

Colville Park v Alba Thistle

Dumbarton Academy v
St Jospeph’s

Last edited:
Looks that way mate. The boy I know that seen the first game and described them as ‘shite’ was also at the replay. I text and asked if they’re still shite? No reply....

Haha fair one.

Decent run from the Tullibody boys anyway

Fighting and/or threatening to kill the Ref. I think there has been a couple of incidents with them. Info is further up the thread I think mate.

As an aside, mobs like that are needing thrown out the game and the players responsible banned indefinitely. I get that some refs aren’t up to it but they shouldn’t be being threatened over it.

Edit - just re-read the posts. Not actually sure if the players themselves were involved or not or if it was their sideline.

Last edited:
Fighting and/or threatening to kill the Ref. I think there has been a couple of incidents with them. Info is further up the thread I think mate.

As an aside, mobs like that are needing thrown out the game and the players responsible banned indefinitely. I get that some refs aren’t up to it but they shouldn’t be being threatened over it.

I don’t even think the problem was with the referee on this occasion. Larkhall are a problem, no question about it.

I’m surprised that both teams weren’t thrown out, as far as I knew it became a free for all and Maryhill Thistle were very much involved despite Larkhall clearly instigating it.

There is a precedent following a similar incident involving Harestanes and Bannockburn a few years ago and I expected that to be followed.

I don’t even think the problem was with the referee on this occasion. Larkhall are a problem, no question about it.

I’m surprised that both teams weren’t thrown out, as far as I knew it became a free for all and Maryhill Thistle were very much involved despite Larkhall clearly instigating it.

There is a precedent following a similar incident involving Harestanes and Bannockburn a few years ago and I expected that to be followed.

Fair enough mate. I don’t know anything of Larkhall in fairness, it was more a general point. I did a bit reffing myself after I finished playing and chucked it as I was fed up trying to deal with bams hell bent on killing each other.

Remember the game you’re talking about my mate was playing in it. Didn’t Harestanes score the winner in injury time and all hell broke loose?

I have never seen Larkhall play so know nothing regarding discipline issues.

Both Harestanes and Bannockburn have been ok when playing Oban Saints.

Doune Castle were the worst i have seen. Coaches were trying to incite a riot at one stage and their fans were unbelievable, in particular the elderly( 60+) among them including the women. They were getting hammered 4-0 at the time tbf.

Fair enough mate. I don’t know anything of Larkhall in fairness, it was more a general point. I did a bit reffing myself after I finished playing and chucked it as I was fed up trying to deal with bams hell bent on killing each other.

Remember the game you’re talking about my mate was playing in it. Didn’t Harestanes score the winner in injury time and all hell broke loose?

Yes we scored the winner with the last kick of the ball only for their manager to come on the park and volley one of our players when he was celebrating. A bit of handbags after that then ref requested the ball be put on the centre spot all he needed was to blow the whistle twice and it was game over. He then changed his mind as we walked back to our own half and abandoned the game. Then done a hatchet job on us! Absolute joke decision that we got thrown out!

Yes we scored the winner with the last kick of the ball only for their manager to come on the park and volley one of our players when he was celebrating. A bit of handbags after that then ref requested the ball be put on the centre spot all he needed was to blow the whistle twice and it was game over. He then changed his mind as we walked back to our own half and abandoned the game. Then done a hatchet job on us! Absolute joke decision that we got thrown out!

Yeah, my mate, who was playing for Bannockburn that day reckoned you boys were hard done by.

I have never seen Larkhall play so know nothing regarding discipline issues.

Both Harestanes and Bannockburn have been ok when playing Oban Saints.

Doune Castle were the worst i have seen. Coaches were trying to incite a riot at one stage and their fans were unbelievable, in particular the elderly( 60+) among them including the women. They were getting hammered 4-0 at the time tbf.

Neither team has form for it in my experience. Two very established clubs at amateur level.

Surprised to read that about Doune mate. Likewise they have been on the go for years and were always very well run. Had some battles with them but nothing over the score. Decent lads off the pitch too. I am going back a decade right enough :D

Doune have an old guy that supports them, the grandfather of a player, that is bonkers. Funny as hell listening to him but some of his shouts are horrendous.

Other than that a good, well run club. In my opinion.

Neither team has form for it in my experience. Two very established clubs at amateur level.

Surprised to read that about Doune mate. Likewise they have been on the go for years and were always very well run. Had some battles with them but nothing over the score. Decent lads off the pitch too. I am going back a decade right enough :D

Might have been a one-off with the coaches i suppose. Full of it before the game but as the goals started going in they soon changed. The elderly fans on the other hand were horrendous from start to finish.

Doune have an old guy that supports them, the grandfather of a player, that is bonkers. Funny as hell listening to him but some of his shouts are horrendous.

Other than that a good, well run club. In my opinion.

Worst was a overweight guy with white hair who did nothing but scream abuse for 90 minutes then attempted to shake everyones hand after the game including the players he had offered a "square go" to.

I think Maryhill were 5-1 up when it kicked off with Larkhall?

Maryhill are a good experienced outfit but I'd expect Bannockburn to edge that one.

Larkhall are a gang and trouble follows them everywhere they go. They'll be lucky to survive in the Caledonian League much longer due to their behaviour.

West of Scotland Cup Quarter Final draw:

Easthall Star or Southside v Hurlford Thistle

UB United or Maryhill Black Star v Shortlees

Colville Park v Alba Thistle

Dumbarton Academy v
St Jospeph’s

I’ve updated this following yesterday’s matches. What a skelping St Joseph’s gave Harestanes, Dumbarton with a good win against Goldenhill.

I’ve updated this following yesterday’s matches. What a skelping St Joseph’s gave Harestanes, Dumbarton with a good win against Goldenhill.

Was at the Oban Saints game yesterday and heard St Joes had won 5-1?

Oban v Yoker in the Scottish next week. Winner will probably play Goldenhill in the Q/F.

Oban v Yoker in the Scottish next week. Winner will probably play Goldenhill in the Q/F.

Don’t write off Sandys against Goldenhill mate, especially at home. Oban have a very good chance of making the semi final for the 3rd year on the bounce, that would be a great achievement.

Good result for Saints yesterday, they'll fancy winning that tie against Yoker I'd imagine.

Don’t write off Sandys against Goldenhill mate, especially at home. Oban have a very good chance of making the semi final for the 3rd year on the bounce, that would be a great achievement.

Don't really know too much about them to be honest but have seen Goldenhill a few times.

Don't really know too much about them to be honest but have seen Goldenhill a few times.

Nor do I mate but I asked a couple of boys that know a bit about them and they describe them as tough to beat and very strong in ‘their scheme’.

Good result for Saints yesterday, they'll fancy winning that tie against Yoker I'd imagine.

Yesterday was a scrappy game but two goals in the last 20 minutes finished it. Rested a few regulars with next week in mind but as we know very little about Yoker can't really make an informed prediction. Expecting a lively game.

Back