The Scottish Amateur Cup

Beat Hurlford so must be decent i suppose.

Hurlford Amateurs as opposed to Hurlford Thistle. Still a good side but not the team everyone defaults to when ‘Hurlford’ are mentioned.

In terms of who is left in the competition, and I haven’t seen everyone, my prediction is that Pennies or Shortlees will win it.

Hurlford Amateurs as opposed to Hurlford Thistle. Still a good side but not the team everyone defaults to when ‘Hurlford’ are mentioned.

In terms of who is left in the competition, and I haven’t seen everyone, my prediction is that Pennies or Shortlees will win it.

My mistake. I have seen the majority of the teams left in the competition over several years and think it is fairly open. The boys thought Shortlees were a decent team last week but still beatable with Keir Knapp proving the difference on the day. Have a rivalry with Thorn built after many close games that went "over the top" initially but is now one of mutual respect. Alba & St Pats are old rivals and would be good to meet either. Have played Harestanes & Bannockburn in recent seasons and aquitted ourselves well.

But for Knapp I would have left Shortlees out my prediction but he is good enough to win games in his own. I’d say Pennies are a better overall unit.

Thorn have had 2 bad results on the bounce (albeit in the league) and are in for a tough one next week.

I’ve never seen St Pat’s but will take in one of their games soon, I’m told they are very good going forward but can be got at. I think they got a bit lucky against EKYM in the Scottish this season.

Shortlees 4 - 2 Dumbarton FP, Knapp hat-trick and set up the other. Boy is unplayable at this level.

Good game in wet conditions, Dumabarton played well 1st have but didn’t turn up for the 2nd. Credit to Shortlees they will be a hard team to beat for anyone.

Oban Saints 2 Yoker United 0.

Oban into the last eight for the third year in a row.

Good result.

Bridgewater 4 Pennies 3
Douglas 1 Thorn 3
St Patrick’s 3 Alba Thistle 3
Tillicoultry 1 Stenhousemuir 3
Sandys v Goldenhill (Abandoned at HT at 1-0)
Bannockburn P v P Maryhill Thistle
Shortlees 4 Dumbarton Accies 2
Oban Saints 2 Yoker 0 (As posted above)

Good result.

Bridgewater 4 Pennies 3
Douglas 1 Thorn 3
St Patrick’s 3 Alba Thistle 3
Tillicoultry 1 Stenhousemuir 3
Sandys v Goldenhill (Abandoned at HT at 1-0)
Bannockburn P v P Maryhill Thistle
Shortlees 4 Dumbarton Accies 2
Oban Saints 2 Yoker 0 (As posted above)

Not a great display but two second half goals see us through.

Shortlees 4 - 2 Dumbarton FP, Knapp hat-trick and set up the other. Boy is unplayable at this level.

Good game in wet conditions, Dumabarton played well 1st have but didn’t turn up for the 2nd. Credit to Shortlees they will be a hard team to beat for anyone.

Shortlees now the clear favourites in my opinion.

Not a great display but two second half goals see us through.

A good sign that you’re coming through ties at this stage not playing very well. As I said, above, Shortlees are the favourites in my opinion but Oban’s experience could be invaluable.

I seen Yoker having a swipe at the referee on social media, so did Pennies in fact.

A good sign that you’re coming through ties at this stage not playing very well. As I said, above, Shortlees are the favourites in my opinion but Oban’s experience could be invaluable.

I seen Yoker having a swipe at the referee on social media, so did Pennies in fact.

Seen that myself. Couple of our players replied to him. There was no headbutt. Players going head to head on a couple of occasions but nothing more than that.
Yoker manager was warned by ref during the second half re - his conduct so should have a look at himself before blaming anyone else.
We were poor but fully deserved the victory

Seen that myself. Couple of our players replied to him. There was no headbutt. Players going head to head on a couple of occasions but nothing more than that.
Yoker manager was warned by ref during the second half re - his conduct so should have a look at himself before blaming anyone else.
We were poor but fully deserved the victory

Sounds like sour grapes. The referee is one of the best in the amateur game, he refereed last years Final actually.

Yoker should be proud of their run and accept defeat gracefully. There’s no shame in losing to Oban in the last 16.

Sounds like sour grapes. The referee is one of the best in the amateur game, he refereed last years Final actually.

Yoker should be proud of their run and accept defeat gracefully. There’s no shame in losing to Oban in the last 16.

Referee was decent tbh. Got all the big decisions correct and was consistent during the ninety minutes.
Yoker played ok up until the final third where they offered little.
Looking forward to the quarter-final.

West of Scotland Cup semi-final draw has been made this evening.

St Joseph’s v UB United

Colville Park or Alba Thistle v Southside

Last edited:
West of Scotland Cup semi-final draw has been made this evening.

Dumbarton Academy or St Joseph’s v
UB United or Shortlees

Colville Park or Alba Thistle v
Southside or Hurlford Thistle

Still a few permutations, obviously, but the possibility of a Shortlees v Hurlford Final is there which would be interesting.

How many of those clubs provide "remunerations" for the players?

Dont think he gets paid at Shortless - hurlford more than likely but hes genuinly playing with his mates now

Apparently Kilmarnock were going to offer him a contract a couple years back but i think off field activities put paid to that

Shortlees are paying dough.

Dont think he gets paid at Shortless - hurlford more than likely but hes genuinly playing with his mates now

Apparently Kilmarnock were going to offer him a contract a couple years back but i think off field activities put paid to that

the reason so many Hurlford Thistle players went to Shortlees was the money was being cut off at HT...and Shortlees were cash rich....so I heard ;)

the reason so many Hurlford Thistle players went to Shortlees was the money was being cut off at HT...and Shortlees were cash rich....so I heard ;)

I read that three times before I clicked that HT was Hurlford Thistle and not half time:confused::D DOH!!

Shortlees are paying dough.

I work with a couple of boys who played for them and know a few others and they assure me thats not the case - with Hurlford everyone knows where the £ comes from not sure who would be financing shortlees if it was true.

I have played for teams where it does happen though so it does go on seems to be happening more and more in the amatuer game now

I used to play with some of the Southside boys, good luck to them.

At Southside or at previous clubs mate?

I have to say that I’ve never heard rumours of Shortlees paying players (which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen) but the rumours of some doing it don’t go away.

As wrong as it may be, would you turn it down if offered?

I have to say that I’ve never heard rumours of Shortlees paying players (which doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen) but the rumours of some doing it don’t go away.

I knew about the Thistle as I knew quite a few of their players, thier coach and their main sponsor.

There were some who were paid at Thistle and others that weren't.

When they split and moved to Shortlees it was the paid players who all moved ....rumour has it that the funding comes from the local narcotics suppliers...allegedly and I never said that!!!!

At other club mate

Re the paying of players at amateur level, it’s been happening for years as far as I’m aware at different clubs.

It’s how the good clubs attract the better players and the players don’t have the same ties as playing junior or higher.

Today’s results.

Scottish Amateur Cup

Maryhill Thistle 1 Bannockburn 1
Alba Thistle 2 St Patrick’s 3.

West of Scotland Cup

Dumbarton 1 St Joseph’s 3 (AET)
UB United 5 Shortlees 4
Southside 2 Hurlford 1 (AET)

Some result for UB United.

Today’s results.

Scottish Amateur Cup

Maryhill Thistle 1 Bannockburn 1
Alba Thistle 2 St Patrick’s 3.

West of Scotland Cup

Dumbarton 1 St Joseph’s 3 (AET)
UB United 5 Shortlees 4
Southside 2 Hurlford 1 (AET)

Some result for UB United.

UB result was on penalties but still great result and some achievement for a Saturday morning team

One of my mates plays for Hurlford and he said Ryan Stevenson(ex Hearts) came off the bench for Southside yesterday.

Back