Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How badly do we really need Veerman. - who would drop down the pecking order to accommodate him? (this of course is based on the assumption that we don't sell any of our key players).

Right now, IMO, the only thing we really need is someone who can shoot from distance and offer a threat outside the box. The vast bulk of our goals seem to be scored from well inside the box and we could use some alternative options.
We’re hopefully going to be playing a shitload of games
Getting him in for Jones Barker and Middleton is a dream window if we can keep everyone else.

How badly do we really need Veerman. - who would drop down the pecking order to accommodate him? (this of course is based on the assumption that we don't sell any of our key players).

Right now, IMO, the only thing we really need is someone who can shoot from distance and offer a threat outside the box. The vast bulk of our goals seem to be scored from well inside the box and we could use some alternative options.

This time next season a likely CM scenario could be:

Davis - retired
Kamara - sold
Arfield - 33yrs
Jack - 30yrs and how many games played in 24 months?
Aribo - possibly sold in 2022 or 2023.

Signing Veerman now for $5-7m in advance of next summer is smart business. He’ll be out of our price bracket next year wherever he is.

Davis - retired
Kamara - sold
Arfield - 33yrs

Signing Veerman now for $5-7m in advance of next summer is smart business. He’ll be out of our price bracket next year wherever he is.

We’ll need him for the World Club Cup as well.

Save millions,Steven Kelly can do the job.;)
Not sure if your completely serious, but I'll bite.
SK looks a great prospect, but he doesn't seem to be at the level of veerman, in that SK would be bit part, veerman would be integral

They also seem to be two completely different players. Whilst they both play deeper in midfield, SK seems to be very much the davo mould, that link between defence and mid, go at keeping the ball and recycling it to the playmakers to make something happen. Veerman in contrast seems to be very much the deep lying playmaker, threading passes to the attack, spreading wide and penetrative passes. For me, he seems like a hagi/kamara combo, a player who can get himself out of tight spaces, but also see passes and movement that others can't and get the transition moving much faster.

As other posters have alluded to, we are going to see player turnover the next 12months with likely davo retiring and the likes of kamara/aribo being sold. Having both veerman come in, and the integration of SK, would seem smart business

Davis - retired
Kamara - sold
Arfield - 33yrs

As I said, any transfer decisions re Veerman would obviously be based on managing to retain the current midfield and also on Jack's fitness . But if Kamara were sold, Aribo - even more so - then moving for Veerman would make sense.

But if no one IS sold during the window and Veerman is brought in, then with Kelly knocking at the door, and the other 5 all looking for playing minutes, Gerrard is going to have a hell of a time keeping everyone happy, running the risk of disturbing the team's chemistry.

Do people on here expect us to sign veerman, cant see it myself, will be a welcome surprise.
We are definitely signing someone, SG has alluded to 1 or 2 more. Whether that's veerman or someone else is anyone's guess, but those with the biggest outlays tend to be people we have been linked with in the media for extended periods, ala kent, roofe and lundstram, so given the variety and frequency of transfer chatter on veerman, I think he is a key target, its just taking time due to fee involved, and potentially euro qualification and/or getting others off the wage bill

We don't need him is the answer.

The Veerman thing (if we're even actually after him) is a bit of an acid test for me regarding whether the club is serious about our youth academy. We have a very promising young midfielder knocking on the door, give him the chance to kick on be a first team player.

This weekend showed the first team squad is packed with quality. Spending more now is just spending for the sake of it. I'd be happy for the window to shut tonight.

The Veerman thing (if we're even actually after him) is a bit of an acid test for me regarding whether the club is serious about our youth academy. We have a very promising young midfielder knocking on the door, give him the chance to kick on be a first team player.

This weekend showed the first team squad is packed with quality. Spending more now is just spending for the sake of it. I'd be happy for the window to shut tonight.
totally agree. The only question re Veerman, is, will Kamara be moving in transfer window, will Jack recover fully from his injury woes, and will Davis be able to hold up over the season.

As much as I rate Kelly, he’s miles behind Veerman.
He’s done well in the pre-season friendlies and had a decent year at Ross County but there is no way you can expect him to play twenty to thirty games for the first team right now.
If the interest in Veerman is real and a deal a possibility, hhe’s in.
Another six months of a loan to an SPL club and he’ll definitely be good enough to take over from Arfield and maybe Jack.

totally agree. The only question re Veerman, is, will Kamara be moving in transfer window, will Jack recover fully from his injury woes, and will Davis be able to hold up over the season.
Big questions.
Questions that need answered probably before the solution is required.

As I said, any transfer decisions re Veerman would obviously be based on managing to retain the current midfield and also on Jack's fitness . But if Kamara were sold, Aribo - even more so - then moving for Veerman would make sense.

But if no one IS sold during the window and Veerman is brought in, then with Kelly knocking at the door, and the other 5 all looking for playing minutes, Gerrard is going to have a hell of a time keeping everyone happy, running the risk of disturbing the team's chemistry.
Kelly is still a bit away from a regular first team pick. He will be in a lot of squads, with cameo appearances, and maybe another 6 month loan to get him first team football. Next season is a big one for him.

I'm not sure we can equate veerman and Kelly, as they are fundamentally different styles.

As we've seen, Kelly is the archetypical defensive mid, shields the back 4, keeps possession, nothing flashy etc, ala Davis.

Veerman is a different kettle of fish. He may play in a similar area of the pitch, but he is very much a playmaker, someone who looks to break lines, long diagonals, great in tight spaces. This is evidenced by 7 goals and 10 assists last season.

For all I like Kelly, he does not offer that level of vision and goal threat.

I dont see why we can't utilise both, depending on the game- we ate hopefully looking at another 60 game season, and with injuries and likely sales/retirements over the next 12 months, bedding them both is a great idea

As much as I rate Kelly, he’s miles behind Veerman.
He’s done well in the pre-season friendlies and had a decent year at Ross County but there is no way you can expect him to play twenty to thirty games for the first team right now.
If the interest in Veerman is real and a deal a possibility, hhe’s in.
Another six months of a loan to an SPL club and he’ll definitely be good enough to take over from Arfield and maybe Jack.
And he'll stay miles behind sitting in the stand.

Joey Veerman would have been in Kelly's situation at one point but someone believed in him and put him in the team.

If we expect our academy players to be at the 'level' of guys that have over 100 appearances in a top European League before we have the confidence to play them then we'd be as well dissolving the academy and directing the funding elsewhere because that will just never happen.

I'm not sure we can equate veerman and Kelly, as they are fundamentally different styles.

As we've seen, Kelly is the archetypical defensive mid, shields the back 4, keeps possession, nothing flashy etc, ala Davis.

Veerman is a different kettle of fish. He may play in a similar area of the pitch, but he is very much a playmaker, someone who looks to break lines, long diagonals, great in tight spaces. This is evidenced by 7 goals and 10 assists last season.

For all I like Kelly, he does not offer that level of vision and goal threat.

I dont see why we can't utilise both, depending on the game- we ate hopefully looking at another 60 game season, and with injuries and likely sales/retirements over the next 12 months, bedding them both is a great idea
How many 90 minutes have you watched of Joey Veerman and of Stephen Kelly?

And he'll stay miles behind sitting in the stand.

Joey Veerman would have been in Kelly's situation at one point but someone believed in him and put him in the team.

If we expect our academy players to be at the 'level' of guys that have over 100 appearances in a top European League before we have the confidence to play them then we'd be as well dissolving the academy and directing the funding elsewhere because that will just never happen.
Nobody is suggesting sitting in the stand!
In fact, I stated something totally different, did I not?
I’d be very happy to keep Kelly and push Arfield and Jack down the line, or even to stay to replace Kamara if he’s sold but, if a player like Veermin is available and willing to come to Rangers, we should take advantage.
What supporters are expecting from Kelly was last seen when Russell joined us!
That, I believe to be a step too far, for now.

Do people on here expect us to sign veerman, cant see it myself, will be a welcome surprise.
I think we are interested as he has been linked for a while and the club have not rubbished it, which they are very quick to do when there is no interest.

Whether we can get a deal done is another thing.

Gerrard has said himself we are looking to sign one or two players this window.

I think midfield will be the priority.

Fwiw I wouldn't be particularly keen on the club adding to the wage bill until we get the fringe players out can we get rid of Edmundson, Jones and Barker permanently? While finding loans for Katic and Middleton et al then I'd be happy bringing in another player of quality
I think I’d trust the club’s board to keep us right on that one.
We can have our opinions on the football side of it but we know even less about the financial side than the football side.

I saw Veerman play in 4 or 5 games last year (partly because I bet alot on eredivisie) plus I've watched most of their pre season games based purely on veermans link to us.
Kelly, not as much, all the games he's ever been involved with us, a few games for county and highlights only from ayr.

Despite not seeing these players week in week out, the games I have seen, the scouting profiles and raw stats, it's clear they are different styles, which would add different elements to our midfield.

Does it really matter? Stephen Kelly is sure a talent that has been around the Scottish game, playing in 33 games for Ayr United and then in 29 for Ross County by the age of 21.

Joey Veerman has played 81 games for Volendam (Dutch 2nd tier) and 61 for Heerenveen (Dutch 1st tier). He`s one year older than Kelly.

As you can see from their stats, they essentially both play primarily DM/CM. While we all love our youngsters to make a grade, there sure is a bit of a gulf in experience and talent between the two.

Does it really matter? Stephen Kelly is sure a talent that has been around the Scottish game, playing in 33 games for Ayr United and then in 29 for Ross County by the age of 21.

Joey Veerman has played 81 games for Volendam (Dutch 2nd tier) and 61 for Heerenveen (Dutch 1st tier). He`s one year older than Kelly.

As you can see from their stats, they essentially both play primarily DM/CM. While we all love our youngsters to make a grade, there sure is a bit of a gulf in experience and talent between the two.
Totally agree.

I would also add, whilst they play similar positions, their skill sets could be used in different scenarios.

Kelly is a perfect back up to davis, he could be utilised in cup games or as a holding mid for the last 20minutes of games when we are defending a lead, similar to zungu impact.

Veerman would be a great option for Europe and and bigger SPFL fixtures to give us a midfield spark and scoring option.

Folk have got themselves into such a frenzy over Veerman - on here, and only on here as far as I can see - that they are going to see it as some sort of major letdown if/when we go for someone else entirely.

I know nothing of him bar the clips I've seen on here and he looks decent. Not the superstar some on here would have you believe but good nevertheless. I wouldn't swap him for Kamara and a couple of million in the bank, put it that way. Or similar with Hagi. £6m-£8m though? I'm not sure we are stretching that far unless one of those two 'wants' to move on.

Some on here seem to have put all their transfer 'eggs' in the Veerman basket.

Last edited:
Nobody is suggesting sitting in the stand!
In fact, I stated something totally different, did I not?
I’d be very happy to keep Kelly and push Arfield and Jack down the line, or even to stay to replace Kamara if he’s sold but, if a player like Veermin is available and willing to come to Rangers, we should take advantage.
What supporters are expecting from Kelly was last seen when Russell joined us!
That, I believe to be a step too far, for now.
Ryan Jack Is our best midfielder when fully fit, Kelly didn’t set the Heather on fire at Ross County, He was in and out.
Kelly has promise but it’s friendly games he’s been playing let’s not expect to much from the young lad keep him around the squad see how he gets on.

After this weekends football I am completely comfortable that if Morelos goes we don’t need to replace him , itten and sakala both looked class and offer different styles and that’s before mentioning roofe and Defoe

as for Kelly I would keep him around for the first half of the season as cover then maybe loan him the second half

if we can shift on barker, edmundson and Jones whilst loaning katic and Hastie I think that would be good on the outgoings front , fwiw I’d keep Middleton as his attitude is good and has more potential to contribute than Jones and barker

as for incomings I think we shall have one big sale and bring in a right winger and a centre mid

After this weekends football I am completely comfortable that if Morelos goes we don’t need to replace him , itten and sakala both looked class and offer different styles and that’s before mentioning roofe and Defoe

as for Kelly I would keep him around for the first half of the season as cover then maybe loan him the second half

if we can shift on barker, edmundson and Jones whilst loaning katic and Hastie I think that would be good on the outgoings front , fwiw I’d keep Middleton as his attitude is good and has more potential to contribute than Jones and barker

as for incomings I think we shall have one big sale and bring in a right winger and a centre mid
I feel a bit sorry for Middleton.:oops: To be clear, I don't think he's good enough to make the grade in this Rangers team but Stevie G has shifted him all over the place - left wing, left-back, midfield, striker and even right-wing. I'm all for versatility but the guy needs a chance to show what he's got in a single position not shifted around to a different position every time he gets on the pitch. He looks totally confused at times.

Dont expect it but i would love it if it happened. One more quality signing in cm would allow Kelly to go on loan to get 30 plus more games.
Kelly has had more games in the top flight of the SPFL than either of Patterson or Bassey for example. He doesn't need a loan. He now needs to learn how to play for Rangers - which is a different thing entirely. Keep him at Ibrox.

It's obviously easier for players to break through at much smaller clubs. Not really a fair example.

And it's not just based on a pure head to head with the players involved. We need to start blooding our academy players, Kelly has done everything asked of him. He deserves his chance to kick on.

You say you love our youngsters to make the grade but you're unwilling to give them the chance. All players are on the verge of the first team at some point, if you always opt to spend money rather than give them opportunities we're just wasting out time with the academy.

I’d be more than happy to see Kelly given a proper chance rather than spend the guts of £6m on a player

You say that. But we know Kelly's game (similar to Davis). We will not be contributing 10 goals and 10 assists next year even if played every game.

Veerman has that ability (as shown by his stats from last year where chances will have been fewer and further between than with us) .

When a player can provide those sorts of stats it can genuinely be the difference between 1st and 2nd in the table.

Kelly has had more games in the top flight of the SPFL than either of Patterson or Bassey for example. He doesn't need a loan. He now needs to learn how to play for Rangers - which is a different thing entirely. Keep him at Ibrox.
I agree mate but we're at a point in time where we need more ready made quality. Kelly will go on to be a great player, but I would not risk blowing how far ahead we are of them on young players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the squad if we don't lose anybody, just think 1 more quality signing puts us so much further ahead.

He's ready to play for the first team this season. We need to start having confidence in our young players coming through the academy.

Ryan Jack Is our best midfielder when fully fit, Kelly didn’t set the Heather on fire at Ross County, He was in and out.
Kelly has promise but it’s friendly games he’s been playing let’s not expect to much from the young lad keep him around the squad see how he gets on.
Agree on ryan jack.

From what I seen young kelly was one of countys best players, he was mainly left out of the team/on the bench so as not to burn the lad out from what I heard and read.

That said he is not ready to come into our team and be a first team regular and play 30+ games per season.

He is potentially being groomed to play the davis role I think or at least been given the chance to see if he can play it, he will probably be in and around the squad this season and maybe get around 10-15 games, allowing davis to rest for some of the easier games, replace him for last 30 mins if game won etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back