Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Active interest in him for the last two transfer windows ticks the boxes for the type of player we are after but the fee appears to be the issue.
Bright Osayi Samuel is never worth the fee, and I just don’t see him as an improvement over Scott Wright who is already in the door, a very similar player, and fighting for games.

The signing of Sakala has also already added more pace to the frontline.

Would he even start though? It would be much more of a gamble to put him into a settled team for a Champions League qualifier.
It isn’t that settled without Kamara tbh. Very likely we will be starting with Aribo, Davis and Lundstram. I’m not massively optimistic coming up against the likes of Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb with that midfield 3. It is far leakier than a midfield with Jack and Kamara in it. But I do agree it’s very unlikely we’ll sign anyone before then.

It isn’t that settled without Kamara tbh. Very likely we will be starting with Aribo, Davis and Lundstram. I’m not massively optimistic coming up against the likes of Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb with that midfield 3. It is far leakier than a midfield with Jack and Kamara in it. But I do agree it’s very unlikely we’ll sign anyone before then.

Arfield, Davis, Aribo or Arfield, Davis, Lundstrum is more than a good enough. This need that some signing will come in and fix fans 'fears' is just odd. Veerman signs last week for instance and the manager would still go with a tried and trusted player like Arfield instead.

Not all about numbers, it's about adding a bit more quality.

I would like to see a player of real quality added to our midfield, signing a player who isn't going to be an upgrade to what we already have would be pretty pointless.

Finding such a player and getting the deal over the line at the right price is also not easy.

Surprised he’s gone back there.

Last time he was at Thistle they used him in midfield as opposed to centre half, I don’t think he’ll make it with us but hope he does well.

He has some good attributes.

We played him in midfield against Thistle, so it's possible that move was something we'd discussed with him. At 21 and on loan to a Championship team it doesn't look likely he'll make it with us, but still, fingers crossed for him.

What's the thoughts on the loans for our youth and fringe players?

I'm not sure Orange County or Scottish Championship are the best we can get.

There was rumours of a European club link up (we knocked back Zeljeznicar) so I hope we're still looking at that.

Arfield, Davis, Aribo or Arfield, Davis, Lundstrum is more than a good enough. This need that some signing will come in and fix fans 'fears' is just odd. Veerman signs last week for instance and the manager would still go with a tried and trusted player like Arfield instead.
Agree. Besides that, unless we can get good value for money on a player purchase we should steer well clear. He's overpriced as things stand, and the lack of activity from (reported) clubs interested indicates there's still some difference between what's being asked for and what they are willing to pay.

Given I'd expect Wilson and Gerrard not to be in a situation of "he's the only one who will make things happen!", with their list of targets, I don't see why we should either.

Last edited:

There was rumours of a European club link up (we knocked back Zeljeznicar) so I hope we're still looking at that.
To be honest it all depends on where they are in their development, if they aren’t good enough for a certain level then it’ll be difficult for us to send them there.

I agree in principle, our better prospects need to be playing at the highest level possible.

Kennedy for example was very good at ICT and Raith, so in theory it shouldn’t be too hard to loan him to an SPL side (like Kelly) but doesn’t seem to be the case.

Other loans to OC/Championship will be for nothing more than sorting their life after Rangers, if they ultimately aren’t going to be good enough.

Looking at the likes of Palmer, Thomson, Barjonas and Breen etc.

None of our serious prospects are going to OC.

Ideally we did have another partnership, at a decent level - maybe our partnership with Hamburg could be utilised this way?.

I'd like even a half season with a more technical club perhaps in Holland or Belgium....a different sort of training, preparation and lifestyle.

The qualifiers this season are a free shot in a way given if we win the league then we automatically go in next season. We need 3 or 4 teams to go out to even have a shot at being seeded in the draw next week which is unlikely. Its going to be extremely difficult to qualify for the Champions league this season and to be honest another year in the Europa league does us no harm.

We need to beat Malmö/HJK of course to guarantee the EL BK.

Young Kelly has been very impressive in the pre season games, don't understand why some think he should be put back out on loan, its a long season ahead, we need a big squad because of injuries, suspensions, Kelly will be needed and deserves to be involved this season.

To be honest it all depends on where they are in their development, if they aren’t good enough for a certain level then it’ll be difficult for us to send them there.

I agree in principle, our better prospects need to be playing at the highest level possible.

Kennedy for example was very good at ICT and Raith, so in theory it shouldn’t be too hard to loan him to an SPL side (like Kelly) but doesn’t seem to be the case.

Other loans to OC/Championship will be for nothing more than sorting their life after Rangers, if they ultimately aren’t going to be good enough.

Looking at the likes of Palmer, Thomson, Barjonas and Breen etc.

None of our serious prospects are going to OC.

Ideally we did have another partnership, at a decent level - maybe our partnership with Hamburg could be utilised this way?.
I'd like even a half season with a more technical club perhaps in Holland or Belgium....a different sort of training, preparation and lifestyle.
I think Dutch second tier is where we should be partnering.

It makes sense as its better technically and close.

Think Hamburg too high a level for youth, Bundesliga 2 is a good standard.

It isn't odd at all. Our UCL playoff opponents are all Europa League last 8 or last 16 quality.

This is the hurdle we have fallen at the past two years, so it isn't odd to think that we may need to improve a position in order to clear this hurdle this season.

The playoffs are still 3/4 weeks away by the way. As I've said, I think it is highly unlikely that a significant player will be signed before then, but it is perfectly understandable why people feel we could do with an upgrade to our first 11 to progress (especially in light of very significant suspensions).

It isn't odd at all. Our UCL playoff opponents are all Europa League last 8 or last 16 quality.

This is the hurdle we have fallen at the past two years, so it isn't odd to think that we may need to improve a position in order to clear this hurdle this season.

The playoffs are still 3/4 weeks away by the way. As I've said, I think it is highly unlikely that a significant player will be signed before then, but it is perfectly understandable why people feel we could do with an upgrade to our first 11 to progress (especially in light of very significant suspensions).

Do you not think Lundstrum and Sakala improve us?

Wonder if the club are still monitoring Gustav Hamer from Coventry there seemed to be a bit of chat earlier in the summer but has died down now?

Do you not think Lundstrum and Sakala improve us?
I’m talking about starting 11 for the UCL playoffs here, and comparing it to the team knocked out by Slavia. It was widely acknowledged after that game that we could do with an addition to take us up a level in Europe.

Lundstram in for Kamara and Sakala in for Roofe doesn’t improve us for those ties no.

What I mean is we see people on here absolutely desperate for a signing of any sort that will take away all the worry of the qualifiers when it wouldn't, not even slightly.

Updated the OP with the latest transfers out stuff ...

Jamie Murphy - Hibernian - free transfer
Lewis Mayo - Partick Thistle - season long loan, callback option 01/22
Kai Kennedy - Dunfermline Athletic - (as above)
James Maxwell - Ayr United - (as above)
Rhys Breen - Dunfermline Athletic - undisclosed fee

.. so we can keep track here too.

Last edited:
I’m talking about starting 11 for the UCL playoffs here, and comparing it to the team knocked out by Slavia. It was widely acknowledged after that game that we could do with an addition to take us up a level in Europe.

Lundstram in for Kamara and Sakala in for Roofe doesn’t improve us for those ties no.

We can't go out and spend millions on a player just because a couple of players are out suspended.

For me they have to go to teams where they are going to play so I have no issue with them playing in the scottish championship for example. If they're good enough after that then they will get a loan move to a top flight club Williamson and Kelly are recent examples of that. They then have to go to those clubs and show they are good enough to play and take their opportunity when they get it.

I always thought the Orange County link was more to do with us getting access to their best youth players like the keeper and Kyle Jacobs rather than them getting any of our players. Any of our players that have went out there are mostly those that have been too old to play for the 18s or because the B team didn't have any games last season for example.

What I mean is we see people on here absolutely desperate for a signing of any sort that will take away all the worry of the qualifiers when it wouldn't, not even slightly.
Yeh it wouldn’t do that. I think we will be underdogs whoever we draw.

We don't play the same 11 every game these days. They too are quality signings for the squad.
We mainly do.

As Brain points out, they’ll be in the play off game (if we make it) ahead of Kamara & Roofe. They aren’t upgrades on them.

I understand we likely are in no financial position to spend millions right now, and I accept it. But we do need to upgrade if we are to stand a chance, hence why people want players in. Including the manager.

Playing most games in the Championship is a lot better for their development than sporadic appearances at a slightly higher level.

Updated the OP with the latest transfers out stuff ...

Jamie Murphy - Hibernian - free transfer
Lewis Mayo - Partick Thistle - season long loan, callback option 01/22
Kai Kennedy - Partick Thistle - (as above)
James Maxwell - Ayr United - (as above)
Rhys Breen - Dunfermlin Athletic - undisclosed fee

.. so we can keep track here too
Kai Kennedy not Dunfermline?

We mainly do.

As Brain points out, they’ll be in the play off game (if we make it) ahead of Kamara & Roofe. They aren’t upgrades on them.

I understand we likely are in no financial position to spend millions right now, and I accept it. But we do need to upgrade if we are to stand a chance, hence why people want players in. Including the manager.
Think you're looking at it far to glass half empty mate. They're 2 quality signings, add in we have not lost a single one of our best players means we're stronger already.

It's worth remembering that Tavernier was unavailable for both of those games and Helander missed the 2nd leg (a huge factor in my opinion).

There's a chance we're slightly overreacting to that result when it comes to judging the level we're at.

Im really happy with where the squad is, at the moment. Id still love Veerman, but i think im confident we have enough to see of Malmo as we are. Maybe reassess our needs after that tie.

But we have strengthened since that game. We have signed two cracking players on bosmans and haven't lost anyone. We can't compensate for suspensions. We can only sign so many players.
We certainly have strengthened and we haven’t lost anyone yet. All I’m discussing is how I feel about the playoffs in light of the suspensions. We are perfectly capable of progressing of course, but we could well be lining up against Slavia with a slightly weaker 11 than a few months ago due to the suspensions. We’ll be in with a good chance no matter what though.

We mainly do.

Out of curiosity mate how do you know this?

It's worth remembering that Tavernier was unavailable for both of those games and Helander missed the 2nd leg (a huge factor in my opinion).

There's a chance we're slightly overreacting to that result when it comes to judging the level we're at.
We were also right in that game, and the better team for the 10/15 minutes, before Roofe stupidly done what he did.

After that it was always an uphill battle with 10 men and consequently 9 men.

It's as if David Murray never happened. It's all about spend, spend, spend on here. Let's sign Veerman, Doekhi, Bright-Samuel to improve our pool.
Has FF ever counted how many senior players we have?

I don't get it either. Its as if some fans only feel comforted when there's money spent on players and free transfers don't satisfy their strange desperate need to see money spent to make them feel better.

I don't get it either. Its as if some fans only feel comforted when there's money spent on players and free transfers don't satisfy their strange desperate need to see money spent to make them feel better.
I dont get this. The debate was launched from people saying they would be more comfortable if we had upgraded the starting 11 from the Slavia game, no?

I think thats a fairly valid comment to make, and one I’m in agreement with but despite that I accept we don’t have the financial resources to make a Veerman level signing right now.

Easy to see both sides of the debate.

I dont get this. The debate was launched from people saying they would be more comfortable if we had upgraded the starting 11 from the Slavia game, no?

I think thats a fairly valid comment to make, and one I’m in agreement with but despite that I accept we don’t have the financial resources to make a Veerman level signing right now.

How many times you seen Veerman play?

Yeh I’m not seeing much disagreement here. Mostly comments being misunderstood due to not appreciating their context.

We were also right in that game, and the better team for the 10/15 minutes, before Roofe stupidly done what he did.

After that it was always an uphill battle with 10 men and consequently 9 men.
These ties are decided in fine margins. For me I think we have strengthened and we have improved our squad for this season.

We need to stop thinking of Lundstram and Sakala as free transfers they are anything but free. They are great additions tgg he at will be costing a lot of money. They add real quality.

If we add one more sell one or two great but we are in a great place. Need to look at the bigger picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back