Archive The Summer 2021 Rangers Rumours and Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem as it stands at the minute is his game time. Tierney was playing 30/40 games as season when he was 18. Patterson is now 19 and only played 16 times for us.

Really frustrating our best prospect is a RB when it’s our captains position. And for what it’s worth, I can’t see them playing much together this season in the same side.
I think Gerrard recognises the need to continue to develop Patterson and probably why he mentioned playing both of them at same time where he can.

I know its caused a lot of discussion when I posted it last year but I do think Patterson will be our starting RB by the end of the season and will be his position from then on.

The problem as it stands at the minute is his game time. Tierney was playing 30/40 games as season when he was 18. Patterson is now 19 and only played 16 times for us.

Really frustrating our best prospect is a RB when it’s our captains position. And for what it’s worth, I can’t see them playing much together this season in the same side.
I can see this being Tavernier’s last season tbh. There’s no way Gerrard will want to block Patterson’s development.

I think Gerrard recognises the need to continue to develop Patterson and probably why he mentioned playing both of them at same time where he can.

I know its caused a lot of discussion when I posted it last year but I do think Patterson will be our starting RB by the end of the season and will be his position from then on.
I think you are a season early with that prediction but i think it will come eventually.

There's irony in your comment, because Tavernier has played a huge role in Patterson development. We don't know how long Tavernier will be here; hopefully it's years yet before he goes.
There is no irony im the posters comment. Patterson needs more games for us to develop and for our long term it will come a point he needs prioritised in the position.

There's irony in your comment, because Tavernier has played a huge role in Patterson development. We don't know how long Tavernier will be here; hopefully it's years yet before he goes.
It wasn’t a dig at Tavernier. We all know how important he’s been to Patterson, but by next summer Patterson will be coming up on 21 and he needs to be playing regularly.

What we do know, from past experience, is that Jack will raise his level whoever is alongside him.
For me Jack was the missing link when we eventually got put out of Europe last year.

We got stretched and basically over run in MF, that wouldn't have happened with Jack in there spoiling the opposition play and protecting our back four.

A fully fit Jack is massive for us. At all levels.

There is no irony im the posters comment. Patterson needs more games for us to develop and for our long term it will come a point he needs prioritised in the position.
There is, because Patterson is coming along well, and Tavernier is one of the best influences he could have. We don't know what role JT will play in the future, but it's not as simple as moving Tavernier on for Patterson's development. Neither have many fans still realised we play a squad game now, judging by your and the other posters comments.

There is, because Patterson is coming along well, and Tavernier is one of the best influences he could have. We don't know what role JT will play in the future, but it's not as simple as moving Tavernier on for Patterson's development. Neither have many fans still realised we play a squad game now, judging by your and the other posters comments.
I think we do realise it, just that we also realise he will need prioritised to develop him into the full potential.

For me Jack was the missing link when we eventually got put out of Europe last year.

We got stretched and basically over run in MF, that wouldn't have happened with Jack in there spoiling the opposition play and protecting our back four.

That's a great point, and it was so clear that it was being lost in the middle; Jack would have made the difference.

Barry Ferguson was on YouTube saying that Jack’s persistent injury has now been addressed and that he is back on n full training.

A fully fit Ryan Jack, be great to see

Last edited:
I think we do realise it, just that we also realise he will need prioritised to develop him into the full potential.
You might realise, but many don't, and they talk of "third and fourth choice" players. Tavernier could quite easily be here for years and Patterson develop. I take it when Gerrard says he wants two players for every position, he means it.

You might realise, but many don't, and they talk of "third and fourth choice" players. Tavernier could quite easily be here for years and Patterson develop. I take it when Gerrard says he wants two players for every position, he means it.
And there is always a primary and secondary player.

Time will tell if Tav wants to be the secondary player at some point in the near future

And there is always a primary and secondary player.

Time will tell if Tav wants to be the secondary player at some point in the near future
Two good players, for every position, is what I think he said. It's a squad game now; subs benches are far bigger, and play a bigger role now than in the past, and may do so even more in seasons to come.

Two good players, for every position, is what I think he said. It's a squad game now; subs benches are far bigger, and play a bigger role now than in the past, and may do so even more in seasons to come.
Dont disagree but we are just going round and round repeating the same thing.

You might disagree with me but Patterson will become like Goldson. Our ever present in that position.

We have a switched on manager and director of football, they are already trying to prioritise playing time for Patterson with tactics change and will result in Tav having to take a back seat at some point.

I think another factor should be the injury history of Tierney. To my knowledge Patterson has never missed a single game through injury. Tierney on the other hand. Since joining Arsenal just two years ago he's missed over 40 games through injury. Prior to that with Celtic he missed a similar amount of games over a couple of seasons.

Agree.

I also think on potential too, Patterson has more pace & a larger ‘frame’ than Tierney.

To me, he clearly has more scope to his game than Tierney.

Dont disagree but we are just going round and round repeating the same thing.

You might disagree with me but Patterson will become like Goldson. Our ever present in that position.

We have a switched on manager and director of football, they are already trying to prioritise playing time for Patterson with tactics change and will result in Tav having to take a back seat at some point.
I think the idea that we only have one good player per position no longer sits easy with me anymore. We'll see, maybe Tavernier won't be here in the long term; time will tell.

It wasn’t a dig at Tavernier. We all know how important he’s been to Patterson, but by next summer Patterson will be coming up on 21 and he needs to be playing regularly.

It's worth pointing out here that at 21, Tavernier was struggling to play regularly in League One at the likes of Sheffield Wednesday on loan.

Just by way of saying it's not guaranteed he won't kick on even if the next couple of seasons are limited in terms of appearances.

He’s going to Belgium on loan. Most likely Club Brugge or Gent
A shame, but it’s the level of loan we should be looking at from the likes of Barcelona and other top elite sides now. Guys who won’t get in their first team but would get games at other high level sides.

Where does Lundstram play then because as it stands Davis and Kamara are nailed on starters in a big game.

Jack was missed at times last season I'll admit but we haven't brought Lundstram up to sit on a bench.

Most of our squad have played (and drew or beaten) teams who have been champions league regulars in recent years. Ok I have blinkers on when it comes to us but I genuinely believe we aren’t too far away from competing at that level. My point was Ryan Jack imo was good enough to play I'm the CL
My point was Ryan Jack imo is good enough to play CL as much as Kent,Kamara and Alfie . The poster I replied to said Jack wasn't at their level

Where does Lundstram play then because as it stands Davis and Kamara are nailed on starters in a big game.

Jack was missed at times last season I'll admit but we haven't brought Lundstram up to sit on a bench.
You understand the nature of a squad game mate?

You heard of things like fatigue, form, formation (Christ there is 3 and that's just the f's), suspension or injury, all things that may keep a player out of the first 11 on any given match day?

They can't all play all the time, although i am not sure at any point in my post i stated that they would, but they will all have an important part to play.

You understand the nature of a squad game mate?

You heard of things like fatigue, form, formation (Christ there is 3 and that's just the f's), suspension or injury, all things that may keep a player out of the first 11 on any given match day?

They can't all play all the time, although i am not sure at any point in my post i stated that they would, but they will all have an important part to play.
Yes but the bulk of our games Davis and Kamara will almost certainly play.

You have effectively 1 slot up for grabs between Arfield, Jack, Lundstram.

We will probably rotate more this season but considering how important Davis and Kamara are i can't see them being rested and rotated as much as people think.

If we had 3 massive games in a week it's almost certain Davis and Kamara would play in them as I said who makes up that crucial last midfield spot is gonna spark some debate this season even more so if another addition comes in.

We will probably rotate more this season but considering how important Davis and Kamara are i can't see them being rested and rotated as much as people think.

If we had 3 massive games in a week it's almost certain Davis and Kamara would play in them as I said who makes up that crucial last midfield spot is gonna spark some debate this season even more so if another addition comes in.

and what happens if both are out for a month injured?

what happens if Jacks out as well?

just go with Lundstrum and Arfield in the cup, league and europe?

and what happens if both are out for a month injured?

what happens if Jacks out as well?

just go with Lundstrum and Arfield in the cup, league and europe?
Losing Davis/Kamara to an injury severely hampers our midfield.

Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in another midfielder later on in the window.

Jack will always have question marks over his fitness and Arfield is prone to niggles.

In fairness we heard that about 3 or 4 times last season. I wouldn't be relying on Jack to play 30+ games this season.
Said this a few times on various threads:

17/18 - 17 league appearances
18/19 - 30
19/20 - 19 (decent given the league was cut short)
20/21 - 19

Not a lot there to suggest Jack will go 21/22 without missing several games through injury.

In one hand you have Davis and Kamara almost certain to start every game but in the other we will rotate, although maybe not as much as everyone thinks.

I am not really sure what we are discussing here tbh mate.

They will all have a part to play, i think we both agree on that?

As long as the team on the park are doing the business i have no interest about how much certain players contribute individually.

With the move back to 3 subs, I think that might influence thinking. We will now have 15 outfield players stripped with around 7 or 8 players in the stand on matchday. That's bound to cause some disappointment.

Losing Davis/Kamara to an injury severely hampers our midfield.

Wouldn't be surprised if we bring in another midfielder later on in the window.

Jack will always have question marks over his fitness and Arfield is prone to niggles.
A minute ago we had brought guys in who were not going to be sitting in the stand and we didn't have enough room for the guys already here.

Now we don't have enough?

What exactly is your point caller? :D

A minute ago we had brought guys in who were not going to be sitting in the stand and we didn't have enough room for the guys already here.

Now we don't have enough?

What exactly is your point caller? :D
If Arfield and Jack struggled again with injuries there is a possibility we might need another midfielder.

In one hand you have Davis and Kamara almost certain to start every game but in the other we will rotate, although maybe not as much as everyone thinks.

I am not really sure what we are discussing here tbh mate.

They will all have a part to play, i think we both agree on that?

As long as the team on the park are doing the business i have no interest about how much certain players contribute individually.
I definatley know what we aren’t discussing , Transfers or Rumours , someone please put the proverbial gun, to this threads heed :D .

It’s a very difficult one re Tavernier and Patterson.

If we could get a decent right back in for a season loan to play backup to Tav, I reckon the club would be more than happy to sanction Patterson on loan to a club of Gerrard’s choosing.

That’s probably the dream scenario but depends on a lot of variables.

Unless Tav deteriorates or form plummets, I can't see Patterson taking his spot anytime soon.

I think this will be one of the most interesting observations at Rangers over the coming 12 to 18 months - Tavernier vs Patterson. And I don't think it will be as straightforward a transition as many people believe it will, with Tav gradually stepping aside in 18 months time and Nathan naturally stepping in thereafter.

Yes, it very much is a squad game these days - and this aspect has been discussed at length above - but I also think there is, in some quarters, an ever so slight miscalculation of just how good Patterson is, or can be. I think both Gerrard and Wilson are firmly aware, however.

Additionally, I do agree that Tav is the main man at the moment, and is clearly ahead of Patterson in terms of his delivery from wide, strength in his play, and overall consistency levels in terms of numbers - but these are aspects that, given sufficient time in the first team over the next 12 months, I think Patterson will surpass Tav on in terms of quality, and by some distance too. Again, this is not intended as a slight on Tav.

IMO, however, we have a generational level talent in Nathan Patterson, and I think that has to be prioritised - even if it means losing a bit of sentiment or even displacing our captain.

All of the above is of course contingent upon Patterson progressing and reaching/exceeding the levels of Tav, but I don't think anyone is in any doubt as to the likelihood of that happening.

He needs game to facilitate this progression, and I think that will happen sooner than anticipated. I think Gerrard does too.

Interesting year ahead.

It’s a very difficult one re Tavernier and Patterson.

If we could get a decent right back in for a season loan to play backup to Tav, I reckon the club would be more than happy to sanction Patterson on loan to a club of Gerrard’s choosing.

That’s probably the dream scenario but depends on a lot of variables.

I don't think there's any chance of Patterson going on loan mate.

I was sitting with his dad and uncle in the Grapes after Saturday's game and he's only interested in progressing and developing at Rangers.

He doesn't want to play anywhere else.

I don't think there's any chance of Patterson going on loan mate.

I was sitting with his dad and uncle in the Grapes after Saturday's game and he's only interested in progressing and developing at Rangers.

He doesn't want to play anywhere else.
We can only ever make educated guesses at how good the coaching at Rangers is at terms of genuine development in the face of limited game time, but all the evidence points to it being top class.

It might be enough to make 20-25 appearances this year and next year, but as much as I admire that Patterson doesn’t want to play elsewhere, he’s behind a phenomenal player and athlete who looks like he could play until his late 30’s, so something’s got to give I suppose.

I think this will be one of the most interesting observations at Rangers over the coming 12 to 18 months - Tavernier vs Patterson. And I don't think it will be as straightforward a transition as many people believe it will, with Tav gradually stepping aside in 18 months time and Nathan naturally stepping in thereafter.

Yes, it very much is a squad game these days - and this aspect has been discussed at length above - but I also think there is, in some quarters, an ever so slight miscalculation of just how good Patterson is, or can be. I think both Gerrard and Wilson are firmly aware, however.

Additionally, I do agree that Tav is the main man at the moment, and is clearly ahead of Patterson in terms of his delivery from wide, strength in his play, and overall consistency levels in terms of numbers - but these are aspects that, given sufficient time in the first team over the next 12 months, I think Patterson will surpass Tav on in terms of quality, and by some distance too. Again, this is not intended as a slight on Tav.

IMO, however, we have a generational level talent in Nathan Patterson, and I think that has to be prioritised - even if it means losing a bit of sentiment or even displacing our captain.

All of the above is of course contingent upon Patterson progressing and reaching/exceeding the levels of Tav, but I don't think anyone is in any doubt as to the likelihood of that happening.

He needs game to facilitate this progression, and I think that will happen sooner than anticipated. I think Gerrard does too.

Interesting year ahead.
That's a big shout. "Surpassing Tav in terms on in terms of quality, and by some distance too".

I hope you're right but that's quite a statement!

We can only ever make educated guesses at how good the coaching at Rangers is at terms of genuine development in the face of limited game time, but all the evidence points to it being top class.

It might be enough to make 20-25 appearances this year and next year, but as much as I admire that Patterson doesn’t want to play elsewhere, he’s behind a phenomenal player and athlete who looks like he could play until his late 30’s, so something’s got to give I suppose.

Imo Tav is currently the best right back at the club, but Nathan has the potential to become even better than him.

I agree he could easily make 25 plus performances this season and if he does, then that's another progression in his development.
Let's see where that takes his performance levels.

The time will come when Patterson is simply too good not to start, but he's not there yet imo.

Call this a transfer thread!! You should all be absolutely ashamed of yourselves!!!

I’m not angry…..just very very disappointed with you all!

I’ll now leave you to decide whether you talk transfers or squad rotations, formations and primary/secondary players. B-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back