The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you realise they get £20m for group stage of UCL,whereas we get £5m for Europa?
When will people start to understand why they can spend more money than us ?
Did you read what I said? I’m answering another posters question. I don’t need you to break down our finances. We are in the shitter and will take a long time to get out it. I’ve accepted that a few years back so relax eh.

There's a whole lot of hyperbole around our not signing anyone and much of it is just FF keyboard warriors doing what they do. Sometimes it's cringy, sometimes it's funny but, it is just a fan forum after all.

The reality is, it was generally accepted we needed to freshen up, not rebuild. For many of us, that meant a striker who will score goals and a right-sided attacker, with more width to his play (Gio likes wingers) and an ability to deliver crosses and add to the team goal tally. It was also imperative we got rid of players like the Barker's, Hastie's and Itten's in the squad.

This refreshing-only approach was underlined by the extensions of senior players and the inclusion of Lowry and King as bonafide 1st team squad members.

The club has been consistent over the past few years in stating there is no transfer budget. Each opportunity is evaluated on the merit of the player and the need of the club. Example: Ryan Kent.

The window has been open for little more than two weeks. We've no way of knowing what discussions have taken place or whether any bids have actually been made on our players. I do find it a little concerning that we've left 3 mainstay players to get get to a year left on their contracts and although there was maybe good reasoning behind that decision it cannot become a typical scenario going forward. However, the reality is you can't force a player to sign and can't force clubs to bid either to your timescale or the value you set.

I'm certain Rangers have targets identified, I'm confident we've even kicked off discussions in many cases, sounding out a player's availability, and interest in coming to the famous and tentative fees involved. I'm confident this is undertaken for the striker we need and for the winger too. I'd also be very surprised if we had not identified multiple targets for replacements for each of our players and certainly for the ones in the final year of their deal. It's succession planning 101.

But seriously, we won't be triggering any purchases until we know whether our players are leaving or not. Unfortunately, this may well be later rather than sooner, it's just the way the market works.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring.

Sense amongst the madness.

Generally in agreement with most of what you've put there mate. However, regards your opening line I don't think its 'the decisions WE make' but, rather, 'the decisions the PLAYERS make'. Its in their hands. If they choose to run down their contracts there is nothing we can do to force them out. Throwing out deadlines to sign new contracts carries the potential to simply alienate them and point them in the direction of leaving for free.

I'm not suggesting that's what any of them want to do by the way, simply illustrating that it is, largely, in their hands. All we can do is offer the contract we think they are worth/we can afford.
I partly agree here. And I suppose what I meant is understanding what "we" (the club) are in control of.

We can decide to offer contracts and see if the player/s extend. I know this can go through a lengthy negotiation process, but I think it's in our interest to expedite this process. For example, we can offer between what we consider a fair contract and our best contract (that we'd give that individual) to guage the likelihood of coming to an agreement.

Where an extension looks unlikely we can assess what interest we may get should we actively look to sell the player/s, and then assess the potential transfer fees to determine if that represents good current value.
Should we consider this we can then accept bids and guage the likelihood of the player/s leaving this window, or next summer for free.

This will at least give us an understanding for anticipated transfer budget and targets (potentially including targets to replace any departing player/s the following season).

This is merely my opinion on the best approach based upon what is in the club's control. Regardless, I do think the club are currently working on their defined strategy for this window despite what some people on this forum may believe.

So when do we start panicking?
In a few weeks I would say. We’re now into the new financial year and I think things will move quicker now.

We’re already in a good place. There were some on here worrying we needed a rebuild and that 10-15 players were going to leave. This has been proven false. With last years players hitting form along with Wright and Bassey, and with the youngsters coming through we are already in a better place than this time last year.

I’ve said since the end of last season we needed two players - a striker and a right winger. And then replacements for anyone we sell. We have almost completed the striker and so far haven’t sold anyone. So therefore I don’t see any need to worry.

Correct. . Not as much as we did with last seasons team hopefully or we won't be winning it

We got 86 points last season which is our 2nd highest points total since returning. We won a league title with that amount of points in 08/09, 87 in 09/10 and since our return the tims have won 2 league titles with 82 and 87.

This really poor last seasons league team have lost 3 league games in 76 as well but just give them the title now.

Having Morelos and Hagi back with the inclusion of Souttar would put us in a stronger position than we were in those Euro games.

The comment was; As things stand we would have a stronger starting 11 than that which beat Leipzig and played in the Europa League final...

As things stand, Morelos would be touch and go to being fit (right now he wouldn't) and Hagi is not going to be anywhere ready for the start of the season. You're probably looking at October/November time.

I don't know how anyone can say Souttar is a better option than Balogun - Souttar has never reached the performance levels of Balogun.

We've lost three in Balogun, Ramsey (who was loved on here by some) and Diallo (who a number would take back on loan).

In a few weeks I would say. We’re now into the new financial year and I think things will move quicker now.

We’re already in a good place. There were some on here worrying we needed a rebuild and that 10-15 players were going to leave. This has been proven false. With last years players hitting form along with Wright and Bassey, and with the youngsters coming through we are already in a better place than this time last year.

I’ve said since the end of last season we needed two players - a striker and a right winger. And then replacements for anyone we sell. We have almost completed the striker and so far haven’t sold anyone. So therefore I don’t see any need to worry.
Im not gonna lie,im getting a bit of an uneasy feeling about how long its taking to get Colak in,are PAOK playing funny buggers?

We got 86 points last season which is our 2nd highest points total since returning. We won a league title with that amount of points in 08/09, 87 in 09/10 and since our return the tims have won 2 league titles with 82 and 87.

This really poor last seasons league team have lost 3 league games in 76 as well but just give them the title now.
And we lost the league.

I really hope there's a strong focus on finally filling that right sided attacking role that has been a problem for years now.

Kent and Morelos is two thirds of an incredibly strong forward line.

Let's make this the season the front three becomes that major force.
Not even a rumour of a right winger is worrying me

To see the current position yes you would need to review the latest set of management reports.

And yes these might be provided, 'periodically' to our bankers, perhaps once a year when they carry out a Business Profile Review, which would not necessarily be close to a year end, otherwise they will be provided with the annual accounts like everyone else.

They would of-course be provided to the company auditors immediately prior to signing the annual accounts off though which is perhaps what you meant.

Kind of moving away from the point here though aren't we... Because whilst being historical by the time they are published the annual accounts paint the full picture in terms of where the new period begins from, the liabilities being carried forward, a forecast which would have identified the funding gap which needed covered in the upcoming year (which has been communicated many times by the board), so they are certainly not less valid in painting a picture. They are extremley accurate actually.

Given the content of your last posts I would find it hard to belive you held that type of role, but I don't know you anymore than you know me, so if that's what you did then that's what you did.
First mate I can assure you I did what I said but I’m not going to prove it to anyone on an Internet forum I retired in 2017.
Second management accounts would normally be mandatory to be with a company’s bankers either monthly (business the size of Rangers it’s what I’d expect) or quarterly with a stipulation of being with the bank within a set number of day after the month or quarter end. That’s business normal.
As for my views on the current regime or custodians they definitely saved us or righted the ship but we need to move forwards and be able to secure the players we need move players on (something we are not good at given the odd exception) and improve the infrastructure of the stadium.
Who would replace them I honestly don’t know but I’m sure if we had backed Gerrard we’d have won 56 and been in the CL groups.

We’ve very little CB options that you’d trust though.

Realistically we have Goldson, Souttar and Bassey.

Bassey should be used at LB moving forward ideally, and Souttar is injury prone and yet to deliver in a Rangers jersey (albeit I’m confident he will when fit).

Helander is good enough but can’t see him being fit enough to play consistently and the rest either aren’t CB’s, or aren’t good enough.

I’m discounting Leon King from all the above on the basis I don’t think we can be relying on an 18 year old for 25/30 games at this stage.
I agree with most of that but if I'm being honest I'd have no problems playing Leon King for 30 odd games, the boy is on a different level from most CHs in the SPFL.

Last edited:
I partly agree here. And I suppose what I meant is understanding what "we" (the club) are in control of.

We can decide to offer contracts and see if the player/s extend. I know this can go through a lengthy negotiation process, but I think it's in our interest to expedite this process. For example, we can offer between what we consider a fair contract and our best contract (that we'd give that individual) to guage the likelihood of coming to an agreement.

Where an extension looks unlikely we can assess what interest we may get should we actively look to sell the player/s, and then assess the potential transfer fees to determine if that represents good current value.
Should we consider this we can then accept bids and guage the likelihood of the player/s leaving this window, or next summer for free.

This will at least give us an understanding for anticipated transfer budget and targets (potentially including targets to replace any departing player/s the following season).

This is merely my opinion on the best approach based upon what is in the club's control. Regardless, I do think the club are currently working on their defined strategy for this window despite what some people on this forum may believe.
I agree, I think we both understand how it can be approached. Ultimately though, as I said, for me the player is in control. Doesn't matter what bids we get, if any, ultimately he has to decide if he wants to go or if he prefers to run down his contract and gamble the following Summer.

I can see Kent extending, I'm unsure if Morelos will (I hope he does) and I haven't a clue on Aribo. He did very nicely out of his out-of-contract move to Rangers and may feel he fancies doing similar next Summer.

Too many posts on here give it the 'move them on' mantra though, like its back in the 70s. Its way more complicated. Liverpool are in the same position with Salah and Firmino (Mane was the same but he's now away). For sure, they don't need to sell to fund their transfer dealings but, equally, the thought of over £100m worth of player walking for free next Summer will not be something they've planned on or will welcome. Players, Salah in particular, now have them over a barrel in contract negotiations. Kent, Morelos and Aribo likewise at Ibrox.

Just ignoring all the dropped points from draws against crap? Sound. We turn 3 of those draws to wins we win by 2 points.

How long do we give the Colak deal?

We seem beholden to the speed of PAOKs search for a striker. That could take weeks.

I don't really see how it's feasible to just hang about until they find a player themselves.

Just ignoring all the dropped points from draws against crap? Sound. We turn 3 of those draws to wins we win by 2 points.

Not ignoring anything my point was the points total we got with all the dropped points would have been enough in other season where points totals have been similar that was all.

First mate I can assure you I did what I said but I’m not going to prove it to anyone on an Internet forum I retired in 2017.
Second management accounts would normally be mandatory to be with a company’s bankers either monthly (business the size of Rangers it’s what I’d expect) or quarterly with a stipulation of being with the bank within a set number of day after the month or quarter end. That’s business normal.
As for my views on the current regime or custodians they definitely saved us or righted the ship but we need to move forwards and be able to secure the players we need move players on (something we are not good at given the odd exception) and improve the infrastructure of the stadium.
Who would replace them I honestly don’t know but I’m sure if we had backed Gerrard we’d have won 56 and been in the CL groups.

We should be champions and in the group stages with what we had last season we only have ourselves to blame. The reason we never made it last season was because we couldn't beat 10 men over 45 minutes we lost 2-0 had nothing to do with lack of investment.

Am I the only one who'd be delighted going into the CL qualifiers with the squad we have right now?
Surely Europa League finalists, boosted by the return of some injured players, will have a more than decent chance of getting us to the promised land of the CL groups as opposed to selling some our better players right now?
Once we get there, then we can sell them - if they still want to leave that is.
And, IF we get there, then the cash that brings with it can improve what we already have.
Win win!
What injured players will be back ??
According to the so called ITKs Helander Hagi and Morelos are nowhere near ready to play.

If we don't make any more sales is it probably fair to only expect two first team signings this window? - a striker and a right sided attacker.

Don't think that would be a disaster by any means, especially if we get the right two players in, but going into the window most people probably expected us to sign a goalkeeper and a midfielder as well.

Would still love us to strengthen the midfield but it seems dependent on someone being sold first. There's too many bodies in there right now to just add another player without moving anyone on.

Wits happening at the stadium? Crowd gathering around the main entrance?

giphy.gif

We should be champions and in the group stages with what we had last season we only have ourselves to blame. The reason we never made it last season was because we couldn't beat 10 men over 45 minutes we lost 2-0 had nothing to do with lack of investment.
Fine that’s what you believe personally I don’t we know the two players SG wanted had we signed them we might have got into the CL and won 56. I think that’s the case but neither you nor I can actually state this as facts it’s simply our opinions.

Fine that’s what you believe personally I don’t we know the two players SG wanted had we signed them we might have got into the CL and won 56. I think that’s the case but neither you nor I can actually state this as facts it’s simply our opinions.

You still think Gerrard would be here if we had spent €11m on Veerman and not went to Villa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back