The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A club knocked out of 3 UEFA competitions but apparently doesn't need to have any issues with h new UEFA rules. Whilst club that got to final made record commercial money is briefing fan media fluffers that we will be spending we have the equivalent of magic beans to spend.

Can’t even be bothered answering your ridiculous posts anymore, so negative about absolutely everything including us getting to a European final

You’d be a right laugh on a night out

I don't believe we are sitting doing nothing in the transfer market, for all we know behind the scenes we could be negotiating with our top players to sign longer contracts and this takes the risk away from buying players and hoping that they can take the pressure of winning every game they play. I would rather see Morelos/Aribo here for another 3 years than hoping their replacements can handle the expectations of our club. If they don't want to extend then we know where strengthening is required and who we move on.

It’s quite funny that people are suggesting that we move Morelos & Kent on & expecting them to be replaced by better players.

Some people need to be careful what they wish for.

Another good season and Jota / CCV will be sold at a huge profit. That's what they do at Celtic.

Whilst we'll still have fans begging to hang on to McGregor for another 3 years and sign Morelos up to his 30th birthday as well.
Thankfully jota has a 30% sell on fee to Benefica because he is one they could probably punt for profit, but the money they paid and the 30% should limit them from making much on him. I agree with your general point though, we need to start selling players when their stock is high.

Our players definitely improve, no doubt about that.

We just don't sell them when they peak. That's the issue.

It's looking like we'll end up getting pennies or nothing for the likes of Morelos, Kent and Aribo.

Not selling Bassey this window will be a mistake (financially) as well.

It's worth asking though - do we want more money through player sales, or decent runs in Europe?

For all their success selling players, they haven't won a post group knockout tie in ages. Keeping our squad together has been one of the biggest factors in continually improving at that level.

I'd take the feeling of the Leipzig night over any multi-million pound sale of a player. I also don't believe, as too many seem to, that they're suddenly going to dominate the next decade because we haven't signed anyone yet this summer.

Keep seeing the Gerrard compensation money being used as an excuse for not spending is there anything anywhere that confirms that all that cash would go back into the playing squad?

Point out were I praise them? Being realistic about tbe situation isn't praise.

You have literally done nothing apart from tell us how skint we are Vs how great they are in buying players

You then tell us to ignore them being pumped out of 3 European competitions and us getting to a European final

But you are correct, you don’t praise them all day every day

This is a fair point & it if course has validity.

To be balanced, when did they sign Ajer & Edouard ?

They have been working this strategy long before us & it currently shows, and benefits them.

But we’ll catch up.

Just to point out Grigo. Over the last 2 years, we are both in profit for player trading and both have 2 trophies. The difference is, we have significantly outperformed them in Europe.

People throw around the term "player trading" without any qualification whatsoever. We sold Patterson for potentially £16M, the team that played in a European final actually cost less than that. If selling a back-up right back and giving us such a team as nett neutral in trading. How is that not successful player trading? I dont understand it.

I think its more a case of acknowledging their ‘model’ is working and is what we need to be doing.

Yes and no.

They are spending significant amounts each Summer yet are not building anything substantial.

Within 3 years under Gerrard, we got further in Europe that they had in nearly two decades

Do they have any youth coming through in the same manner Patterson did & Lowry is?

From a huge advantage (financial + years), their “model” doesn’t seem to got them too far ahead of us.

You have literally done nothing apart from tell us how skint we are Vs how great they are in buying players

You then tell us to ignore them being pumped out of 3 European competitions and us getting to a European final

Think you're taking what you want from what I post tbh .You're optimistic I'm glass half empty. Truth is in middle usually.

I love reading this thread. We are all bears but at the end of the day we are competitors in life ( jobs / partners / success)

There’s a material amount of people on this thread who have a lot of work to do on themselves.

Pre season has just begun. We RARELY sign players at this stage.

Do you honestly think the senior figures are the club are sleeping at the wheel? No. They are working harder than you have ever worked ( very likely ) plus there will be factors / dependencies we aren’t aware of.

One thing the club needs to consider in the future is a way of appeasing the nutcase in our support.

Especially in the age of emotionalism.

For a month this thread has been fully of negativity but when we sign someone that suppport is happy with we will have guys apologising and with the “ humble pie “ posts.

l
I think its more a case of acknowledging their ‘model’ is working and is what we need to be doing.
Its easy when they had 6+ years free run at CL money to get money in to buy players. But for all the praise they get from people on here about Ajer, Dembele etc they fail to mention the millions they have wasted on players. They spent £7m on the big French diddy jullien and are trying to punt him on loan even though he’s out of contract next season, £6+m on the first hologram keeper barkas (where the fee seemed to go down every time he played Shite) and £5m on Ajeti. So all the posters saying we need to spend X amount on players, it doesn’t mean we will be getting better players. Morelos cost half of what we spent on Itten.

They've added one player that might start from last seasons squad and so have we, that's a fact.

You might want to pish your pants about them in July, that's up to you.
It’s not about pishing pants. It’s about learning from last summer’s errors. Many people are uptight and no wonder given our last 3 windows have been poor — Lundstram apart and it took him 6 months to settle, but apparently that’s not a valid concern.

Yes it's like listening to the seperate entity fan at my work. Spouts the same lines

Apparently not. Also signing someone or a problem position and a sold keeper on a free, while we do the square root of nothing. But hey everything in the Rangers garden is rosy.

I don’t think anyone’s said that Klos.

I haven’t heard one bear say we don’t want a quality RW, and we all Also agree on an Itten replacement.

A big part of this disagreement seems to be over the fact that these players haven’t signed yet.

If they’re not both in by the close of this window I expect pretty much consensus.

Again telling us who we are not interested in
I can confirm we are not interested in Neymar Jr, I repeat not interested :))

They all know so little, that to try and be ITK and relevant with who we aren't interested in so that when we inevitably sign a midfielder under the radar, that has been kept under wraps and bang ! Scarf aloft at the marble staircase...See I told you it wasn't McAtee.
Daily Record Exclusive...we told you first it wouldnt be McAtee
Jokers

It’s quite funny that people are suggesting that we move Morelos & Kent on & expecting them to be replaced by better players.

Some people need to be careful what they wish for.
Fully agree GY. I think the club will have to pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat to match these two. It may be that if 'like for like' is not possible then new signing would maybe numbers based e.g. Kent replaced by higher scoring forward and Alfie replaced by goodness knows who. I am just stumped at a replacement for the wee man. A big task for the club to replace either tbh.

Seems young development players have much more faith in the club than many fans. They seem willing to sign on invest the key years in their development at Rangers. We seem to be getting right at that level. That gives me much confidence in the overall strategy. Reaching a Europa League final and winning a national cup would be vindication enough of the strategy at most clubs. Not round here.

It’s not about pishing pants. It’s about learning from last summer’s errors. Many people are uptight and no wonder given our last 3 windows have been poor — Lundstram apart and it took him 6 months to settle, but apparently that’s not a valid concern.

Think we need to stop comparing this summer to what happened last summer. For a start we go to Portugal with everyone back at the same time that didn't happen at all last summer we had internationals all back at different stages of pre-season for example.

We all want to see new faces coming in the door and it will happen and we've kind already done our best bit of business of the window by getting Goldson tied down for another 4 years.

Celtics player selling model began in 2012, the year we imploded. We have only had players worth selling since 2020 (our recruitment started in 2018 under SG). There would have been uproar if we sold players going into 55. So our failure to have a player trading model is only 1 year old (and like 55, selling league champion players and successful Europa league players would have been risky before the UCL qualifiers)

Just to point out Grigo. Over the last 2 years, we are both in profit for player trading and both have 2 trophies. The difference is, we have significantly outperformed them in Europe.

People throw around the term "player trading" without any qualification whatsoever. We sold Patterson for potentially £16M, the team that played in a European final actually cost less than that. If selling a back-up right back and giving us such a team as nett neutral in trading. How is that not successful player trading? I dont understand it.

Yes HR, very good point mate.

I was just trying to point out that the benefits they got from Ajer & Edouard are based upon decisions they made years ago, when we were still trying to get our club sorted out again.

Right now, we have more sellable assets than them. Some want them sold so we have lots of money it seems ? I’d rather see them on the park every week, as your point about European performance suggests.

This is a fair point & it if course has validity.

To be balanced, when did they sign Ajer & Edouard ?

They have been working this strategy long before us & it currently shows, and benefits them.

But we’ll catch up.

Signs are we already are, if we look at transfers from 20/21 to what’s been spent this summer, we have actually made more on transfers than they have, yip that does include the £18m investment they’ve made this summer, still important as they would now need to sell to recoup some of that, but would argue asset for asset we are on par if not better than they are

There is no doubt for “the model” to work we need to sell, we did in Patterson last year and I think we will again this year

Folk really are panicking and being extremely negative far too early for me but there gets to a point where we go round and round in circles on here

Yes and no.

They are spending significant amounts each Summer yet are not building anything substantial.

Within 3 years under Gerrard, we got further in Europe that they had in nearly two decades

Do they have any youth coming through in the same manner Patterson did & Lowry is?

From a huge advantage (financial + years), their “model” doesn’t seem to got them too far ahead of us.
They got cl qualifier money el group stage money ecl money sold a player last January for 11m sold edouard and ajer for 30m got another 3 or 4 million for christie getting promotion
playing In Europe and doing well is fantastic and brings in money
I want titles 56 57 58 etc they are catching up now
we won’t get to finals very often so I want doubles and trebles they have won 10 out the last eleven titles I want us on a winning run
next season is another automatic qualification I think that’s another 30m we need to get it this time

No . I don’t tbh , many expected a rebuild it didn’t happen , see them spend , and the toys are out the pram .
We lost the league last season and they are strengthening we aren’t. We brought in a lot of money last season and none of it looks to be getting spent on the squad. We have champions league qualifiers soon with no sign of strengthening the squad. Those are some of the reasons why supporters are anxious and wanting some new players in.

Next summer is going to be interesting if the likes of Aribo, Morelos and Kent don’t sign new deals.

We risk losing £30m+ worth of talent for nothing. On top of a number of players out of contract.

How do we finance a rebuild - because that’s exactly what could be required in 12 months time.
We really needed a rebuild this year, we would have (Still could be in fairness) building on solid foundations.

Next year we could potentially be gutted with not a penny to show for it or use in a rebuild.

That is frightening thought.

Whose the few players we’ve lost??

They were part of a side that got pumped out of Europe in 3 separate competitions last season, they won a league we really should have wrapped up before the new year and would have done if there was no manipulation of fixtures

Vickers was being hawked about all sort of clubs, loaned to the mighty Luton, came up here and got torn apart in Europe, he’s not going for much more than the money Celtic have spent on him, would be interesting to see how much Benfica are due if Jota (who was anonymous mainly in most games against us) moves on, would imagine there’s a huge sell on clause in that deal

Anyway let’s get back to Ra hoops love in
The whoops fest is embarrassing.I really wonder about some of the posters on here.

At present, the bare minimum required is two signings if we keep the current squad.

Priority number 1: A quality right sided attacker to provide more balance, as teams are heavily skewed defensively towards Kent. Teams are happy to gamble on our right hand side as the quality isn’t there. We need a goalscorer too in that position.

Priority number 2: An attacking central midfielder who can contribute with goals. The midfield has to start helping out. We can’t be reliant on Morelos again.

Priority number 3: The contract situations. Aribo, Kent and Morelos all with one year left on deals. If contracts aren’t signed, they must go. It would be a travesty to lose money on any of them. Especially Kent, having forked out £7m on him.

Then you’ve got the big asset in Bassey. He’s at peak value right now, having two years left on his contract. The player trading model states we sell him this window and avoid making the same mistake we’ve made with others. We cannot let him run down his contract to 1 year.

Or we can try for a 1 year extension and sell him next summer.

This is by far Ross Wilson’s biggest test of his Rangers career. I would not like to be in his shoes. This either goes to plan or ends in catastrophe.

Signs are we already are, if we look at transfers from 20/21 to what’s been spent this summer, we have actually made more on transfers than they have, yip that does include the £18m investment they’ve made this summer, still important as they would now need to sell to recoup some of that, but would argue asset for asset we are on par if not better than they are

There is no doubt for “the model” to work we need to sell, we did in Patterson last year and I think we will again this year

Folk really are panicking and being extremely negative far too early for me but there gets to a point where we go round and round in circles on here

Agree Scooter.

We might end up all agreeing ( LOL ) at the end of August, due to quality signings coming in, or not coming in.

Right now isn’t the judgement time. I trust the people that are getting snippets from behind the scenes that a lot is happening, both on extensions & new signings. I do really hope the RW we sign is a quality player mate. That’s a starting position. I’m pretty sure Colak will get sorted too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back