The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted earlier. I remember we had basil boli and brian laudrup signed up in plenty time. If names like that were mentioned on here now, the place would be letting off fireworks.

Bottom line is AEK Athens comfortably knocked us out the cl qualifiers.

There's no guarantees of anything just because of early signings.
Same week Falkirk put us league cup

It’s been a couple of weeks since I jumped on the wild ride of the soon to be deleted transfer thread, but I’ve worked up the courage to say: for all the folk moaning about the last few windows and not signing starting players, do you also agree that signing players for the year after has worked? Bassey, Aribo, Lundstram, Borna (first year). They are all examples of players that didn’t hit the ground running then proved their worth. The best players in the world sometimes take a year to fit in, Ronaldo as an example. I’d take diallo back on loan this year, bring on the absolute rage!!!!!

Should make this thread so that if you post a comment it has to relate to a transfer rumour or an already posted bit of news.

Any pish patter or attempts to derail should just be removed.

Because otherwise it becomes a mountain and it's easier to look elsewhere for stuff, instead of getting it here faster.
Don’t see any rumour in this post. Looks like an attempt to derail the thread and direct attention away from the rumours of us signing Colak.

Going on what we watched with him at Ibrox with Malmo. Plus his career age and experience I think he can get us 15 maybe more as 2nd/3rd (delete where appropriate depending on Roofe injuries)striker. An improvement on Itten hopefully.

If we brought in Colak and Botheim I think it can only improve Alfie for them to both be chasing his place.

I’d hope we eventually pull the trigger and go in for Ola Solbakken from B/G. we really need that RW spot sorted.

On the Rangers Review briefing yesterday they said that the club had denied interest in Botheim as his wage demands were outwith our wage structure.

He was likely on a fortune in Russia and is now on a free, he’ll be, rightly, taking advantage of the situation, I think we can safely scrub that one off any list.

If we brought in Colak and Botheim I think it can only improve Alfie for them to both be chasing his place.

I’d hope we eventually pull the trigger and go in for Ola Solbakken from B/G. we really need that RW spot sorted.

Am I the only fan that thinks Wright can fill the rw spot?
He lost confidence in the early part of last season and also picked up an injury I think.
Gio appeared to have restored that confidence in the latter part of the season, and he finished strong, scoring a great goal in the SC Final.
I'd love to see a new exciting signing competing for the rw spot, but Scott Wright is only 24, a bit early to write him off imo.

Last edited:
Rumour in Spain is that Sevilla are going for Umar Sadiq.

From Marca.

I hope this means less interest in Morelos.

That’s wild, having watched him a couple of times for Nigeria because Aribo and Bassey were playing he still looks like the big awkward cumbersome dumpling that played for us! He obviously must have something if he’s attracting Sevilla though.

On the Rangers Review briefing yesterday they said that the club had denied interest in Botheim as his wage demands were outwith our wage structure.

He was likely on a fortune in Russia and is now on a free, he’ll be, rightly, taking advantage of the situation, I think we can safely scrub that one off any list.
Kind of contradiction there.
We are not interested yet interested enough to find out his wage demands.

We have the oldest squad in the league

We may have, but is it really that much of an issue?

Those old codgers twice ran the legs off celtic in the later stages of our most recent games against them.
We'd played in Europe midweek before both games too and they'd had a free midweek.

The same applied with Hearts in the SC Final.

Let's not forget how many games we played last season and how strongly we finished the season.

Our strongest current side is up for debate, but for example....

McLaughlin/McGregor

Tav/Zukowski
Goldson/King
Helander/Souttar
Bassey/Barisic

Jack /Kamara/Davis
Lundstram/Sands

Hagi/Sakala/Wright
Aribo/Arfield
Kent/Lowry

Morelos/Roofe

Other than Davis and McGregor, there's nobody really at the end of their career.
Arfield is 33 and will possibly be in his final year with us.

However, all 3 I've mentioned will mainly be rotation players, impact subs and cover injuries and suspensions.

I don’t see age as an issue with us in the coming season.

He lost confidence in the early part of last season and also picked up an injury I think.
Gio appeared to have restored that confidence in the latter part of the season, and he finished strong, scoring a great goal in the SC Final.
I'd love to see a new exciting signing competing for the rw spot, but Scott Wright is only 24, a bit early to right him off imo.
For me Wright is fine as a squad player but isn't consistent enough to be first choice right winger. We need someone who is going to contribute double figures in goals and the same in assists and I don't think Wright is that player

Rumour in Spain is that Sevilla are going for Umar Sadiq.

From Marca.

I hope this means less interest in Morelos.
Lol!! They bid €8 m for Morelos and I’m sure that other team that Sadiq plays for have an obscene release clause on him. Even bidding 15 for Morelos would be saving them a whack.

For me Wright is fine as a squad player but isn't consistent enough to be first choice right winger. We need someone who is going to contribute double figures in goals and the same in assists and I don't think Wright is that player

He needs to play regularly to get consistency.
If he gets the chance and hits the ground running, I think we could see a breakout season from Wright. Or we sign someone and he remains a squad player!

Lol!! They bid €8 m for Morelos and I’m sure that other team that Sadiq plays for have an obscene release clause on him. Even bidding 15 for Morelos would be saving them a whack.

Would they be guaranteed the 30 goals/assists that Sadiq had in LaLiga2 last season though?

If its between the two the safer option is Sadiq

Those old codgers twice ran the legs off celtic in the later stages of our most recent games against them.
We'd played in Europe midweek before both games too and they'd had a free midweek.

Let's not forget how many games we played last season and how strongly we finished the season.

McLaughlin/McGregor

Tav/Zukowski
Goldson/King
Helander/Souttar
Bassey/Barisic

Jack /Kamara/Davis
Lundstram/Sands

Hagi/Sakala/Wright
Aribo/Arfield
Kent/Lowry

Morelos/Roofe

Other than Davis and McGregor, there's nobody really at the end of their career.

However, all 3 I've mentioned will mainly be rotation players, impact subs and cover injuries and suspensions.

The conversation was regarding our ‘player trading model’.

He needs to play regularly to get consistency.
If he gets the chance and hits the ground running, I think we could see a breakout season from Wright. Or we sign someone and he remains a squad player!
Scott scored couple of nice goals at end of season but for me, him (& Sakala) will never be more than average squad players & I hope we bring better players into the squad.

I'd love to see a new exciting signing competing for the rw spot, but Scott Wright is only 24, a bit early to write him off imo.
Wright might just surprise a few of us. It's up to him, because he has proved he can do better; perhaps he needs to believe in himself more.

Scott scored couple of nice goals at end of season but for me, him (& Sakala) will never be more than average squad players & I hope we bring better players into the squad.
The goal in the SC was an extremely good goal; his pace was electric in the move before he scored it. Also, his lay off for Kamara's goal in the EL semi-final was very good as well. He might be a better player than he thinks, and that might affect him at times, because he's proved he has very good aspects to his game. It's wrong to write him before the season starts.

McLaughlin/McGregor

Tav/Zukowski
Goldson/King
Helander/Souttar
Bassey/Barisic

Jack /Kamara/Davis
Lundstram/Sands

Hagi/Sakala/Wright
Aribo/Arfield
Kent/Lowry

Morelos/Roofe

Theres only 4 players over 30 in the squad and two are keepers. It's a bullshit stat with no context.

He got 7 goals and 3 assists last season in 1800 minutes, so equivalent to 20 games.

He will be a big contributor this season IMO

At the end of the season Gio was asked is the team at the end of their cycle
he said no how can they be they got to a European final.
that got me thinking maybe he is very happy with the squad and will only add when players leave or some he really wants becomes available .
we all know the squad is to large as it is and we have a huge wage bill
he also might see the youth players kicking on this season so it could be a very quite tran window unless players leave

Colak and the Right Forward position to addressed then it’s about regenerating the starting 11 with whatever sales happen. We need a season 1 kent for the other side to give the EL finalists a springboard into the new season.

I'd love to see a new exciting signing competing for the rw spot, but Scott Wright is only 24, a bit early to right him off imo.
I hope a lot of people haven't written him off completely.

There's no arguing that he stepped up when needed during Europe but we definitely needs proper competition for that position and a 23 year old 6'1" winger who has been capped twice is definitely the better option.

I feel that not only would he improve our first team but also help Wright step up to become more consistent to fight for that spot. Helps that he's well within our budget as well since teams after him are penny pinching as Roma wants him to run out his contract to get him on a free and Galatasaray keep offering under a million for the player valued between 1 and 2 million.

Also helps that he completely tore the scum inside out B-D

Would they be guaranteed the 30 goals/assists that Sadiq had in LaLiga2 last season though?

If its between the two the safer option is Sadiq
They wouldnt be guaranteed anything from him in laliga just because he had decent numbers in the league below last season. Like saying we should sign someone from the championship if they have a good season over someone who's done it consistently in Europe. Sadiq would be a massive flop at a club like sevilla because quite simply he is pish. If your honestly saying between sadiq and Morelos the safer option for sevilla would be sadiq then you need your head checked

At the end of the season Gio was asked is the team at the end of their cycle
he said no how can they be they got to a European final.
that got me thinking maybe he is very happy with the squad and will only add when players leave or some he really wants becomes available .
we all know the squad is to large as it is and we have a huge wage bill
he also might see the youth players kicking on this season so it could be a very quite tran window unless players leave
That line from Gio worried me a great deal. Since then they’ve resigned players who should’ve left.

It suggests Rangers are unable/unwilling to spend as per the requirements and it’s a sticking plaster approach and hope for the best.

Gio , as a new Manager working with someone else’s squad entirely, cannot be satisfied as is but he must’ve been told what the possibilities are this Summer.

Maybe a sale or two might change his options but it looks slim pickings and he’s just passing on the word from above.

I think he has a lot more to offer yes

But Ideally we want 2 good players for each position so I think we still need another there

That line from Gio worried me a great deal. Since then they’ve resigned players who should’ve left.

It suggests Rangers are unable/unwilling to spend as per the requirements and it’s a sticking plaster approach and hope for the best.

Gio , as a new Manager working with someone else’s squad entirely, cannot be satisfied as is but he must’ve been told what the possibilities are this Summer.

Maybe a sale or two might change his options but it looks slim pickings and he’s just passing on the word from above.
If we can’t/won’t spend after last season’s revenue, the wrong guys are in charge. That’s fact.

It got you worried that he was happy with a side that got to a European final? The time hasn't been and isn't standing still, and keeping most of it together is in our best interests.

It's not just about this summer.

Next summer we could potentially have; McGregor, McCrorie, Helander, Davis, Sands, Aribo, Arfield, Jack, Kent and Morelos out of contract. You'd imagine; McGregor, McCrorie, Davis, Arfield will all be for the off. Unless Sands has a cracking season, we aren't paying the money he's valued at.

Something has to give, player sales are required. Champions League football is also imperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back