The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they don't accept that I'd be looking elsewhere
Agree even if we upped it they would then come back and say “ we want more” fuckem move on.
The thing is the player will have been sounded out and wages roughly agreed so he would not be in the best place if his club f’ around.

That line from Gio worried me a great deal. Since then they’ve resigned players who should’ve left.

It suggests Rangers are unable/unwilling to spend as per the requirements and it’s a sticking plaster approach and hope for the best.

Gio , as a new Manager working with someone else’s squad entirely, cannot be satisfied as is but he must’ve been told what the possibilities are this Summer.

Maybe a sale or two might change his options but it looks slim pickings and he’s just passing on the word from above.
I think the squad is a very close bunch. I like that.

Most thought Goldson was off. He's clearly one of our top players and leaders. He stays. I'm happy with that.

I thought McGregor and Davis and possibly Arfield may have left.. especially McGregor. I'm thinking they may have accepted pay reduction to stay. Davis is still class. Arfield more a sub now and play occasionally but pops up with big goals. McGregor role remains to be seen.

I think you are right and Gio will want a couple in of his own signings but probably trusts the squad too.

We may yet see a couple leave, Balogun gone and a couple in the door along with Souttar who is a fine player when fit.

I'd think Lowry should feature a fair amount too and he looks real quality in the making.

Our biggest issues are new contracts or sale of top players with a year left and our transfers will mostly be related to what happens with Kent, Alfie and Aribo.

As it stands our squad is decent enough to compete at home and Europa league level but strengthening it a bit would be great with one or two players even better than we have presently.

We shall see.

It's not just about this summer.

Next summer we could potentially have; McGregor, McCrorie, Helander, Davis, Sands, Aribo, Arfield, Jack, Kent and Morelos out of contract. You'd imagine; McGregor, McCrorie, Davis, Arfield will all be for the off. Unless Sands has a cracking season, we aren't paying the money he's valued at.

Something has to give, player sales are required. Champions League football is also imperative.
Players sales may not be necessary if we renew some contracts, if youth comes through, and if we do well in Europe and win the league.

Correct

Spending 3m on someone who isn’t going to improve the first 11 is not smart.
They have been asking for 3m euros the entire time which is £2.6m. If we have bid £2m then chances are we will meet them half way and with add ons and a deal will be done.

We need a third striker that is actually good enough to have an extended run in the team which we saw first hand last season. Reality is a few million does not give you a lot of options when bringing in a good quality striker.

Colak has a good scoring record and can also lead the line on his own effectively which we have not had other than Morelos for years

It got you worried that he was happy with a side that got to a European final? The time hasn't been and isn't standing still, and keeping most of it together is in our best interests.

But you're asking the same players to go again in another mammoth 60-65 game season especially if the same guys go down with the same injuries season after season.

At some point, even with our fitness levels, these players are going to hit a wall.

This squad needs help.

Many predicted at the start of this, we are skint.

We need fresh investment before we move forward with anything significant imo.

We needed more goals, both from midfield and attackers.

If we are 'skint' i dread to think what position we would have been if we had not beat Sparta Prague by 2 goals at Ibrox and because of this got knocked out. We earned a fortune from this point on our run to the final. I wonder if it's going towards other projects and paying back money already put into the club previously.

Am I the only fan that thinks Wright can fill the rw spot?
He lost confidence in the early part of last season and also picked up an injury I think.
Gio appeared to have restored that confidence in the latter part of the season, and he finished strong, scoring a great goal in the SC Final.
I'd love to see a new exciting signing competing for the rw spot, but Scott Wright is only 24, a bit early to write him off imo.

No he can't. Not on a consistent basis. He's a very capable squad player and option for the front 3, but if he is who we are pinning hopes on, we are in trouble.

Put aside the European run for a moment (as it's not likely to happen every season) we had some awful results in the league last season so we absolutely should we refreshing the squad, it should have happened last season aswell and it threw away a guaranteed 30 to 40 million champions league money.

Last edited:
Would they be guaranteed the 30 goals/assists that Sadiq had in LaLiga2 last season though?

If its between the two the safer option is Sadiq

That's an utterly mental take. 30 goals/ assists in 2nd tier in Spain or one of the all time top goalscorers in Europa League? Tough choice that one.

Player sales are required. Not every player will sign new contracts and there becomes a point when players need moved on or risk staying for too long.
Required at the expense of success? The biggest revenue stream comes from on the park, especially in a European context. Even I'm not unaware of the benefits of a "big sale", but that shouldn't negate the fact we should orientate towards keeping our best players.

But you're asking the same players to go again in another mammoth 60-65 game season especially if the same guys go down with the same injuries season after season.

At some point, even with our fitness levels, these players are going to hit a wall.

This squad needs help.

We are 3 players down at the top end of the pitch as well.

Ramsey, Diallo, Itten. Didn't play much but they came in at the end of the season and contributed to give the main guys a rest.

Given what this group of players achieved since Gio came in i would think he`s well aware of where we need strengthening. Reading some of the post`s you would think we only send scouts out during the transfer window`s and they just look at players who have played against us and them.

Put aside the European run for a moment we had some awful results in the league last season so we absolutely should we refreshing the squad, it should have happened last season aswell.

There was no money to do it last season though. The refresh does need to happen but the results especially in January were more on Gio's approach and not learning from it than going with the same squad of players.

This squad needs help.

It's blatantly obvious that the 11 and squad needs an injection of quality.

We've two center backs that have an injury list the length of PRW. Barišić struggles with niggles, we all know about Ryan Jack and Kemar Roofe injury problems. Hagi is out for the foreseeable, we still lack any sort of quality on the right hand side. Light up top and I still think there is something (an attacking outlet) missing from midfield.

Obviously there is time in the transfer market but that's not what we are discussing here. It's the need for freshness, the need for quality if we want to take our team up a level. Too many scared to break up the squad because we reached a European Final (which was great) but on the other hand it collapsed in the league and handed Celtic the riches of the Champions League.

The team can’t get any fitter.

We might get more fortunate with injuries, but it’s not like a linear, optimistic curve of fitness.

In fact, Davis, McGregor, Arfield etc will likely get slower and more injury prone.

We need a refresh.

Ideally, CM, RW and back up striker.

I don’t buy into the need for 6-8 etc.

Last edited:
Put aside the European run for a moment we had some awful results in the league last season so we absolutely should we refreshing the squad, it should have happened last season aswell.

The 55 season spoiled us a bit, I'd argue. Last season was far more like a normal one, and it came down to a game or two in terms of winning the league. That's probably what we're looking at even if we refresh the squad successfully.

We should never put the European run aside. It's absolutely fair to use that as an indication of things going well.

Players sales may not be necessary if we renew some contracts, if youth comes through, and if we do well in Europe and win the league.
Player Trading is an absolutely essential part of our financial well being. It’s been a cornerstone for them for years, and for every other successful team outside the top leagues for the best part of the last twenty years. Extending contracts costs money and adds to the wage bill, our current revenue streams don’t cover that so the only way to prop that up and allow player investment is to sell at a profit.

Sales like Patterson have to be repeated 2 or 3 times every year in order for us to be financially viable and competitive on the pitch. Sales of Ajer and Edouard financed all their signings last season with significant change left over. It’s the only way for us in the market we operate.

If we were to sell 2 or 3 players this summer to a value of say £30million, we buy players for c.£15 million and the profit covers the gap in turnover. The Patterson sale almost certainly covers historical gaps in turnover and none of that will be part of this summer’s budget, which may well purely be based on exceeding budgeted expectations in Europe.

Next summer we could potentially have; McGregor, McCrorie, Helander, Davis, Sands, Aribo, Arfield, Jack, Kent and Morelos out of contract. You'd imagine; McGregor, McCrorie, Davis, Arfield will all be for the off. Unless Sands has a cracking season, we aren't paying the money he's valued at.

Something has to give, player sales are required. Champions League football is also imperative.
This summer was looking like a rebuild, the can has effectively been kicked down the road.

I hope we do a lot of next summers work this summer.

We are skint based on what? Negotiating a transfer?

We are clearly not rolling in it, but trying to get a good deal doesn't mean there isn't a budget for the manager FFS.

The 55 season spoiled us a bit, I'd argue. Last season was far more like a normal one, and it came down to a game or two in terms of winning the league. That's probably what we're looking at even if we refresh the squad successfully.

We should never put the European run aside. It's absolutely fair to use that as an indication of things going well.
I'm still trying to get over being 2 0 up v Motherwell at home and the game ending 2-2.

It should be put to the side, we need new players to come in if we want to make profit on selling players which is still something we haven't done very much of.

I can't see why anyone would be happy to go with the same squad again, let's not forget this squad have only won 2 trophies in 4 seasons domestically, there is room for further improvement.

Required at the expense of success? The biggest revenue stream comes from on the park, especially in a European context. Even I'm not unaware of the benefits of a "big sale", but that shouldn't negate the fact we should orientate towards keeping our best players.

Well we missed out on the league title after throwing it away and had many a poor performance/result in the league - we missed out on the biggest revenue of all, the Champions League - I'm aware we could still qualify for the group proper but had we been guaranteed CL football this season, I'd imagine our summer trading would be slightly different.

If selling Aribo means we can bring in 1/2 quality first team regulars then do it, especially if he's not going to sign a new deal.

Xavi Simons is a wee boy who would get kicked up and down the pitch in Scotland.

I guess Lowry won’t be playing much then. He’s just as small.

There’s also then the debate of Celtic’s Japanese players - who were similarly disregarded as being “too wee”.

We are skint based on what? Negotiating a transfer?

We are clearly not rolling in it, but trying to get a good deal doesn't mean there isn't a budget for the manager FFS.

Skint based on a complete lack of activity.

Nothing to do with one silo’d transfer. I didn’t even reference Colak.

Skint based on the fact we haven’t made a signing of any particular value since Roofe. We’ve need horsepower a few years in a row now and sadly can’t get there to make it happen, not thus far anyway.

Skint based that we needed £7m additional to see out the seasons cash flow requirement.

Does that help you?

You’ve got your head in the sand if you don’t think we have financial challenges.

Not entirely sure how much Aribo showed at Charlton to begin with - but isn’t that the whole point of the model? If we’re looking for someone who’s shown as much as Aribo, then he’s going to cost as much as Aribo.
I'm not saying I was against signing Simons with the future in mind, but when we signed Aribo he was one of the top players in league one and scored over 10 goals that season. Simons as promising as he is hasn't done anything of note at any first team level.

I also don't agree with the second statement. Good scouting gets you bargains, they are out there. There are far more factors in a players price than just X good = Y price.

Hard to tell what’s happening with Colak but I sincerely hope we’re not fucking about over £200,000 or £250,000.

Get it done, get him in and get him settled before the qualifiers.

You say that like quarter of a million pounds is pennies and we can just waste it rather than negotiate what we think the player is worth if it takes an extra week.

Madness, the panic on here is wild, we will have better options available than played in a European final a few weeks ago for the qualifiers regardless of who we sign between now and then.

Are we getting bids for our players through?

I know I sound like a broken record but the market is dead. There's some really good articles out there discussing this and everything they predict is what I see happening on a daily basis. PAOK for example refusing to budge on their valuation of Colak; it's because they know how difficult reinvesting the money is so they don't have to.

I fear this is going to get really ugly, the dynamics of the market have completely changed but it will take fans 2/3 years to realise. I think Ross Wilson gets a really hard time but I think he might come under unbearable pressure for what fans see as a failure to bring players in/move players on.

The truth is he's being judged on a transfer market that doesn't exist anymore.

The contract renewals make a lot more sense now. In a normalised market I don't think they happen.

It's blatantly obvious that the 11 and squad needs an injection of quality.

We've two center backs that have an injury list the length of PRW. Barišić struggles with niggles, we all know about Ryan Jack and Kemar Roofe injury problems. Hagi is out for the foreseeable, we still lack any sort of quality on the right hand side. Light up top and I still think there is something (an attacking outlet) missing from midfield.

Obviously there is time in the transfer market but that's not what we are discussing here. It's the need for freshness, the need for quality if we want to take our team up a level. Too many scared to break up the squad because we reached a European Final (which was great) but on the other hand it collapsed in the league and handed Celtic the riches of the Champions League.

We paid the price after Manchester. It was only after we went out to Kaunas that we got in the much neeeded reinforcements - Davis, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra.

Said it earlier in the thread, we went into Kaunas with a midfield of Adam, Thomson, Dailly, McCulloch and Novo as well as Whittaker at left back.

Selling Aribo for £10m and signing Simons for nowt would’ve surely been a good idea and part of “the model”.
Simons may have been after wages outwith our structure however. PSV can still blow us out the water in that respect.

We probably weren’t in for him at all and one link in French press became gospel.

We paid the price after Manchester. It was only after we went out to Kaunas that we got in the much neeeded reinforcements - Davis, Mendes, Edu, Bougherra.

Said it earlier in the thread, we went into Kaunas with a midfield of Adam, Thomson, Dailly, McCulloch and Novo as well as Whittaker at left back.

Which if we are honest should have been good enough to get past Kaunas.

However these qualifiers won’t be quite as easy on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back