The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until some pish from the premier League come in and snatch them before they get near the first team. I guess we can't complain though , that's exactly what we've done to other clubs to get them here
The boys we have signed in recent days are over 16 so contracted to the Club.
It's not the same as Billy Gilmour or Rory Wilson - neither of whom had signed a professional contract with us due to their age.

Some boak-inducing stuff from people trying to influence fans in to accepting just being turned over and having our bellys rubbed. "its just the way it is". They'll have a go at you for not being happy with those in charge either.

Whilst we have a club across the city spend tens of millions every summer, because they have competent people running their football club. Not a Motherwell accountant.
The club across the city didnt get booted down to the bottom tier ten years ago, losing every playing asset in the process, followed by years of corporate rape. They had years of unfettered access to Champions League money while we were away and were able to safely implement a biy and sell model without fear of onfield failure

...yet despite all of that disadvantage we reached a major European final last season

Some boak-inducing stuff from people trying to influence fans in to accepting just being turned over and having our bellys rubbed. "its just the way it is". They'll have a go at you for not being happy with those in charge either.

Whilst we have a club across the city spend tens of millions every summer, because they have competent people running their football club. Not a Motherwell accountant.

"Competent people"? Nonsense.

They've blown the advantage given them in the last decade, so much so we won the title they were desperate for. Within 3 years, we went further than they had in Europe for nearly two decades and then there was last season.

Lennon spent 30m in 3 transfer windows. Where is their youth policy? Etc, etc.

"Boak-inducing", right enough.

The club across the city didnt get booted down to the bottom tier ten years ago, losing every playing asset in the process, followed by years of corporate rape. They had years of unfettered access to Champions League money while we were away and were able to safely implement a biy and sell model without fear of onfield failure

...yet despite all of that disadvantage we reached a major European final last season
We've had more than enough time and opportunity to start that model.

And like I said. I'd take multiple domestic success over losing a European final these days. We have won 2 trophys since 2016.

We’ve been back in the top flight for six years and playing regular European football for four. To have only sold one player in that time (Patterson) is piss poor.

"Competent people"? Nonsense.

They've blown the advantage given them in the last decade, so much so we won the title they were desperate for. Within 3 years, we went further than they had in Europe for nearly two decades and then there was last season.

Lennon spent 30m in 3 transfer windows. Where is their youth policy? Etc, etc.

"Boak-inducing", right enough.
They fucked up the advantage, and it took them one summer to swing it back round.

The youth & academy is indeed the only thing we do better than them. They do an utterly fantastic job.

Wasting your time.

Why is it so bad that we've kept players like Tavernier, Goldson, Barisic, Aribo, Kamara, Morelos, Jack and Kent at the club? They're good players who have improved in their time with us and are nowhere near done.

This criticism of us keeping a squad together just seems strange to me. It's a strong squad. To genuinely improve upon what we have would cost far more than we'll ever spend, but we will see a couple of players in that will strengthen certain areas of the squad.

As for the finances, we'll see how that goes. I still believe many of our fans are in for a shock when they see the running costs for the last year due to the high number of games and bonuses we'll have paid out to players. We also deferred costs last year that will need to be paid this time around.
Far too sensible

They've been here for around 4 years and won 2 trophys.

The new mentally challengeds have been here 1 season and won 2 trophys.

Is that as 'strong' as we get?

Thats one way of looking at it.

Heres another. In the last 2 years (once Celtic have paid for Jota), they will have spent close to £50M. In that time they have won the same number of trophies as us and we have massively outperformed them in Europe.

Things dont seem so bad to me...

I know, I mean you would think folk would be well aware what happens when you spend money you’ve not got

Seems not though
The question is why have we not got it.

We have been in euro competition for a few years now culminating in a lucrative final last season. We have sold out tickets every season and pay over what fans of our rivals do year in year out. We have MyGers, wehave sponsors all over our strip and sell out merchandise.

The question isn't why do we not spend money we havent got, but why haven't we got it.

Whilst we have a club across the city spend tens of millions every summer, because they have competent people running their football club. Following & implicating a successful model. It can be done. It should have already well started. Not a Motherwell accountant.

I'd take 2 league titles, or a treble, or 5 cups over a European final, which seems to be the "but" on here. We are in no position to be turning our noises up at ANY type of domestic success these days. I will take anything we can get and if that means a cycle of selling players every year or two then I'm more than happy for that to happen.
The Europa run is the new comfort blanket of many.

And like I said. I'd take multiple domestic success over losing a European final these days. We have won 2 trophys since 2016.

Reaching and losing that European final made us more money, and therefore puts the club in a far better position both on and off the park, than if we had won both domestic cups every year since 2016.

I know what I think is more important.

How many did you expect us to win given what Gerrard inherited and how low it had got before then?

Ok well when you sell someone for 16m your manager for 4m and then make a european final and you still dont have a good transfer budget then when will we?

You actually have no idea what our budget is this summer, none

I will say it again, we will sign at least 2 or 3 players

Also I think we lost over £20m in last set of accounts, had to rely on investors to see us through last season, we need to stabilise and kick on from there

Stamping your feet and demanding money be thrown around is just self entitled nonsense to be honest

I see both sides, we need players in, we need to sell some but we must be prudent in whatever we do

Currently I believe the board will do what they can without damaging the club long term

Heres another. In the last 2 years (once Celtic have paid for Jota), they will have spent close to £50M. In that time they have won the same number of trophies as us and we have massively outperformed them in Europe.

Spent that, but will still be in profit. As they operate a player trading model.

What's their net spend in that period? Saying they've spent £50m is slightly misleading.

Reaching and losing that European final made us more money, and therefore puts the club in a far better position both on and off the park, than if we had won both domestic cups every year since 2016.

I know what I think is more important.
Maybe try winning the league then, as that would have made us 30-40m. And we'd have a trophy to show.

They fucked up the advantage, and it took them one summer to swing it back round.

The youth & academy is indeed the only thing we do better than them. They do an utterly fantastic job.

At least you edited your "they" comment when it came to youth/academy. A slip of the tongue...

It was a close title run and we beat them in the Cup semi-final, despite our exertions a few days before. We're likely returning to the times when the title (and trophies) switch between us regularly.

They've created nothing in the last 10 years, spending millions each Summer for domestic success they could have bought for less.

In the absence of any real rumours (Colak aside) is there anyone else domestically that we might have our eye on? We’ve already signed the pick of the bunch in Souttar but is there anyone else?

Any of the young lads at Dundee Utd that broke through last season?
I was told before we were interested/keeping an eye on in Josh Doig. I guess it only becomes a possibility if barisic or bassey leaves.

How many did you expect us to win given what Gerrard inherited and how low it had got before then?
I get that side of the argument however the mentally challengeds have managed to win the league last year with basically a full new squad and management. Yeah they spent £20m, but we spent more than that over the course.

It was an absolute disgrace losing the league last year, and I'm not going to forget the players performances. Capitulating for the 3rd time in 4 years (for many) and some are happy to let them go at it again.

Short memorys.

Or its a tangible achievement that's only happened 5 times in our entire history
It can be both tbf. As it painted over (rightfully so not going to say otherwise) our multiple failings domestically. All of which haven't been addressed and will only get worse with multiple over 30s given 1 "last dance". I've read multiple times that the team that got to Europa final will be competing in the league. Missing out the team has needed refreshed for now 2 summers. The same flaws that where there will be worse starting in goal unless McGregor defies science and gets better as a professional sportsman in his 40s.
We got to Europa final seems to have made people forget late January/February and March not to mention the start of last season.

At least you edited your "they" comment when it came to youth/academy. A slip of the tongue...

It was a close title run and we beat them in the Cup semi-final, despite our exertions a few days before. We're likely returning to the times when the title (and trophies) switch between us regularly.

They've created nothing in the last 10 years, spending millions each Summer for domestic success they could have bought for less.
A close title run from the advantage we have is utterly shambolic. Mismanagement and incompetent people running the show. We'll see if they mess up their new advantage.

What's their net spend in that period? Saying they've spent £50m is slightly misleading.
It’s also misleading for him to include money spent this summer and then only start counting trophies won in the previous two seasons. They could spend a fortune this summer and win a treble, or they could win nothing. One thing they won’t be is stale.

Our team needs significantly freshened at some stage. We all thought it would be this summer but we seem to keep putting this rebuild off for another 12 months each time. This summer was the year to do it (meaning let Arfield and McGregor) because next summer will be a big enough rebuild anyway with guys running down their contracts. We cannot go into this season expecting the same nine or ten players that have been ran into the ground since Gerrard came in in 2018 to go again.

What an utterly tragic way to look at last year's European run.
It's not the way I'm looking at it at all , though is it? Last pre season. Same posters making same points about drama queens and entitled supporters pointing out the obvious.
We were told we'd win league at a canter, 55 undefeated etc etc. This year it's they got to Europa league final.

I get that side of the argument however the mentally challengeds have managed to win the league last year with basically a full new squad and management. Yeah they spent £20m, but we spent more than that over the course.

It was an absolute disgrace losing the league last year, and I'm not going to forget the players performances. Capitulating for the 3rd time in 4 years (for many) and some are happy to let them go at it again.

Short memorys.
You seem utterly obsessed with Celtic. Bizarre stuff.

This is the Rangers transfer thread.

I’d imagine it’s going to be early next week now before Colak is confirmed.

Start of a new month tomorrow so wonder if we’ll have any other surprises to announce that have gone under the radar.

We’ve been back in the top flight for six years and playing regular European football for four. To have only sold one player in that time (Patterson) is piss poor.
We never sold because we valued winning the title and europe more than potentially losing a few million in a couple years time, that's proven to be a genius move.

We then started our model by selling our backup right back for not far off what Celtic sell their top assets for.

It can be both tbf. As it painted over (rightfully so not going to say otherwise) our multiple failings domestically. All of which haven't been addressed and will only get worse with multiple over 30s given 1 "last dance". I've read multiple times that the team that got to Europa final will be competing in the league. Missing out the team has needed refreshed for now 2 summers. The same flaws that where there will be worse starting in goal unless McGregor defies science and gets better as a professional sportsman in his 40s.
No doubt we need at least 3 first team regulars to freshen us up (depending on outgoings) but it is way too early to start losing your shit over who we have/haven't bought - the window is open until 1 Sept

And another thing - after 2012 we will never spend money the way we did again.

Its not really relevant though is it? Its still £50M spent to try and win a trophy that pays the winner £2M. If we had spent £50M after winning a treble and 2 years later we had the same trophies as them, surely we would be asking questions as to why?

Put another way, we ran at a significant nett profit the last 2 years in terms of transfers and now its being used as a tool to demand expenditure. If our nett spend isnt factored in, then why should theirs be?

You can acknowledge the incredible recovery our club has been on in the last decade which culminated in last seasons Europa run whilst still being critical and frustrated on certain aspects of how the club is performing.

The last couple of transfer windows have been appalling from the club in all honesty and this is fueling the concerns many have with what we have un store in this one.

We keep being told at AGMs and interviews that a key element of our club going forward will be this ‘player trading model’ but we have allowed contracts of players who would fall into this category run down to the last 12 months and we don’t seem to be able or willing to sell any of them to fund a freshening up of the squad. This added to clearly limited funds is a recipe for disaster - as was proven domestically last season. In order to implement a ‘player trading model’ we need to be able to secure the best young talent to impact the first team and then flip them on after a couple of years. Since Bassey signed two years ago who have we brought in that fits this category? Zukowski possibly? Despite Wilson and others banging on about this the club has failed to implement this thus far - given this is stood up as a key element in us becoming self sufficient that has to be concerning.

People think the Patterson , Gerrard and Europe money just goes straight into the transfer kitty and ignore all the losses and loans we’ve been accumulating to get here. We need to realise this and stop arguing about it as it is so so pointless. Do we have money for a transfers? Yes but look at the market right now it is fucked across Europe

They're our biggest rivals and manage to run a successful business. Because of that they've managed to flip our big advantage in only one summer due to our failings as a club. We're now being briefed by some of our fan media people that this is just the way it is now, and we better get used to it.

I am obsessed with how that managed to happen, and how it looks like the gap will get further again this summer. 100% correct. I don't like in a little blue tinted glasses fantasy land where everything they do is utterly shite and we're better "just because".
They had a steaming manager - that was our big advantage.

They got a semi competent manager and we slipped up at key points.

They stayed consistent, its not like it was a reverse of the situation.

Ok well when you sell someone for 16m your manager for 4m and then make a european final and you still dont have a good transfer budget then when will we?
That’s twice I’ve seen you write we got £16m for Patterson. You do realise we didn’t, we got £9m up front the rest is made up of targets, and instalments.
If your going to fling figures around at least get them correct as for the £4 m for the manager is that right@? Haven’t seen anyone who I would trust to know say that.

You actually have no idea what our budget is this summer, none

I will say it again, we will sign at least 2 or 3 players

Also I think we lost over £20m in last set of accounts, had to rely on investors to see us through last season, we need to stabilise and kick on from there

Stamping your feet and demanding money be thrown around is just self entitled nonsense to be honest

I see both sides, we need players in, we need to sell some but we must be prudent in whatever we do

Currently I believe the board will do what they can without damaging the club long term
I take your point about not throwing money around but to be honest we resigned both Arfield and Shagger two players who most will agree are over the hill,surely their wages could have been used for at least a player coming in because for me Arfield does very little for us now and Shagger,great servant though he has been is just stuck to his line for every cross ball and again my opinion it's money down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back