The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are two games in and McLaughlin has made mistakes that contributed to goals in both of them, yet he seems to be getting a bye and other players given the blame.
McLaughlin was not at fault for the livi goal that one goes to Borna and Souter. He should have saved the first on Tuesday otherwise he made. Couple of good saves that gives us some hope. I don’t think he is Rangers #1 quality but he needs better protection in front of him. The team does not defend well that needs to be addressed urgently get that right we win the league

Far too bi polar and quick to jump in studs showing yes Tuesday was a stinker of a result but its hardly a trend yet let's see how we look after the transfer window when we have our full squad settled
I think- and this is purely my personal opinion - the amount of changes we needed to make this window was always going to make Champions League qualification unlikely. Realistically we would need all of our key players from last seasons team still here fit and firing on all cylinders, along with a kind draw to have any real chance of making the group stages.

The Belgium mob are a good side, are as PSV. Kent, Alfie, Jack, Roofe and Helander might have given us an outside chance.

Unfair to expect the new players to all gel and hit the ground running so early in, just not realistic imo.

I think- and this is purely my personal opinion - the amount of changes we needed to make this window was always going to make Champions League qualification unlikely. Realistically we would need all of our key players from last seasons team still here fit and firing on all cylinders, along with a kind draw to have any real chance of making the group stages.

The Belgium mob are a good side, are as PSV. Kent, Alfie, Jack, Roofe and Helander might have given us an outside chance.

Unfair to expect the new players to all gel and hit the ground running so early in, just not realistic imo.
We made too many changes and were expecting them to gel and hit the ground running. I think Gio set set up wrong, Tillman should have been more central with either Jack or Kamara dropped, and either Lawrence or Sakala on the left. You saw whenever Barasic had the ball Tillman would cut inside instead of staying on the wing, and that left Barasic nowhere to go.
We defo missed out with Kent and Morelos not playing, hopefully they will be back for Tuesday, but you can't include Jack as he played most of the game (not very well I might add).
Also whose to say Monaco won't beat PSV

This.

Folk wanted a big turnover of players going out and players coming in. If we played the same team as last season on Tuesday night the complaints would have been about not signing new players for the squad.

We made too many changes and were expecting them to gel and hit the ground running. I think Gio set set up wrong, Tillman should have been more central with either Jack or Kamara dropped, and either Lawrence or Sakala on the left. You saw whenever Barasic had the ball Tillman would cut inside instead of staying on the wing, and that left Barasic nowhere to go.
We defo missed out with Kent and Morelos not playing, hopefully they will be back for Tuesday, but you can't include Jack as he played most of the game (not very well I might add).
Also whose to say Monaco won't beat PSV
Jack isn't fully match fit for me mate, not even close.

And I don't think it would have made enough of a difference with the players available.
I'm not saying Gio didn't get the tactics wrong btw, just that even if he'd employed them correctly I still wouldn't have fancied us to get the required result over the two legs overall.

This.

Folk wanted a big turnover of players going out and players coming in. If we played the same team as last season on Tuesday night the complaints would have been about not signing new players for the squad.
We really needed to win the title last season mate, given the turnover of players we needed.

If we can put together a decent run in the Europa and get our title back that would be a very successful season this year, I'd be more than happy getting out of the Europa groups and winning the league to ensure CL groups next season when hopefully, we'll have a much more settled squad.

We are two games in and McLaughlin has made mistakes that contributed to goals in both of them, yet he seems to be getting a bye and other players given the blame.
Not from me he’s not but McGregor cost us several games and a lot of goals last season.

I don’t rate McCrorie but the way it’s going I would happily give him a chance.

We don't need a CAM we've got Tillman, Lawrence, Hagi when he's back and Lowry that can play a number 10 role. Tillman is direct Aribo replacement and once he's settled I think he'll come good.

Our midfield 3 is hooching with players but they are all samey. But to me we have enough to get us into CL then I'd expect a number 8 at the very least signed but preferably a GK signed too but that gives us a window of 1 week to sign players.
Waiting until we get CL qualification every summer before signing a player we’ve been crying out for for three or four years sounds like a head on backwards approach to me.

I agree we do have too many midfielders, but part of that problem is because we retained two veteran players for another year.

Jack isn't fully match fit for me mate, not even close.
He will never be fully fit for the rest of his playing days and Rangers cannot afford to buy more players like him.

The Midfield is not only stacked but we have too many of the same type.

I think our business is likely done for now given all that’s come in and the lessening likelihood of any sales.

Given the squad size I’d rather Rangers moved 1 or 2 on than bought anyone else this Summer.

Next Summer is going to be even more crucial in terms of deals.

This is going to go on all season. GvB will eventually bring McGregor back in and he too will make mistakes.

Ridiculous situation to be in.
Mclaughlin and shagger both have their pros and cons but ultimately they're both pretty equal.

We needed to spend a few mill on a new keeper and still do. Neither of them are good enough to go all season IMO.

McLaughlin was not at fault for the livi goal that one goes to Borna and Souter. He should have saved the first on Tuesday otherwise he made. Couple of good saves that gives us some hope. I don’t think he is Rangers #1 quality but he needs better protection in front of him. The team does not defend well that needs to be addressed urgently get that right we win the league

Yes, he was sadly. His movement gave the guy the chance to lob it over him first time. If he stood his ground the guy would have let the ball drop and Goldson would have got across.

Not excusing Borna and Souttar's part in that goal, but a better GK wouldn't have started rushing put when JM did.

At last, someone says how it is.
Being in the group stages of the EL is still good for us.
But tbh we have to win the league this year, no messing about like last year, starting on sat.

Yes, he was sadly. His movement gave the guy the chance to lob it over him first time. If he stood his ground the guy would have let the ball drop and Goldson would have got across.

Not excusing Borna and Souttar's part in that goal, but a better GK wouldn't have started rushing put when JM did.
I put the blame on Jack, he failed to deal with the ball in the box, was robbed ans they scored.

I put the blame on Jack, he failed to deal with the ball in the box, was robbed ans they scored.

On Tuesday? Several players could have stopped that goal. Many at fault. Was talking about the livi goal though.

My initial point was more that many of the outfield players mistakes being blamed for these goals and the keepers mistakes overlooked, when it's been 2 goals in the first 2 games, yet McGregor wasn't afforded the luxury of outfield players being blamed due their mistakes last season.

USG are a good side but nothing more on paper we should comfortably get through a two legged tie they are the equivalent of Midtylland or Willem II who we took care of easily in qualifying the past few years if its Monaco or PSV we can't get past I see your point but we should definitely be in that playoff

On Tuesday? Several players could have stopped that goal. Many at fault. Was talking about the livi goal though.

My initial point was more that many of the outfield players mistakes being blamed for these goals and the keepers mistakes overlooked, when it's been 2 goals in the first 2 games, yet McGregor wasn't afforded the luxury of outfield players being blamed due their mistakes last season.
Sorry got my poor goals confused. You are 100% correct though on your point.

USG are a good side but nothing more on paper we should comfortably get through a two legged tie they are the equivalent of Midtylland or Willem II who we took care of easily in qualifying the past few years if its Monaco or PSV we can't get past I see your point but we should definitely be in that playoff
We're not strong enough with the personnel available mate. Too many key players missing or not fully match fit.

He will never be fully fit for the rest of his playing days and Rangers cannot afford to buy more players like him.

The Midfield is not only stacked but we have too many of the same type.

I think our business is likely done for now given all that’s come in and the lessening likelihood of any sales.

Given the squad size I’d rather Rangers moved 1 or 2 on than bought anyone else this Summer.

Next Summer is going to be even more crucial in terms of deals.
I apologise for repeating myself so often on this thread but selling Kamara to allow us to buy someone to play with Lundstram is a trade off we need to make.

Someone of the ilk of Fransergio who despite having zero sell on advantage would take us up a level in the engine room.

I apologise for repeating myself so often on this thread but selling Kamara to allow us to buy someone to play with Lundstram is a trade off we need to make.

Someone of the ilk of Fransergio who despite having zero sell on advantage would take us up a level in the engine room.
I think ultimately if someone , anyone, wants to move and a good offer comes in then we have to sell.

Were that to happen in the next couple of weeks it might be prudent to retain the funds for next Summer.

Waiting until we get CL qualification every summer before signing a player we’ve been crying out for for three or four years sounds like a head on backwards approach to me.

I agree we do have too many midfielders, but part of that problem is because we retained two veteran players for another year.
How do you know that though?

In the aftermath of a howling night, and listen it was a rancid performance, folk are now just barking up about their personal preference and claiming that's the reason for the defeat. See it's because we didn't sign this player or that player, basically see I was right.

The last 5 windows have covered an unbeaten league season and a trip to a European Final. Do you think it's maybe possible that the football people at the club just don't agree we need the players that certain punters are so convinced we do?

Also - a huge amount of wise after the event comment.Most on here have been reasonably upbeat about our transfer incomings
I wanted Lawrence in the team but other than that had no qualms about the selection.
We were pish.

We really need to at least get to the next round. That’s a 5m bonus.
Plus the £1.5 million gate and tv money for the home game v PSV . So next Tuesday is a £6.5 million game on its own

I’ve seen a lot of transfer chat around goalkeepers but I do ask anyone- name names of goalies we could realistically afford and who would come here and improve us. And please don’t say that’s Ross Wilson’s job

We're not strong enough with the personnel available mate. Too many key players missing or not fully match fit.

7 players that played in Seville took to the field on Tuesday night. Plenty made the case for McLaughlin to be brought in last season, that's 8. Wright started in Seville, he was on the bench along with a number of players from last season; Sakala, Davis, Arfield.

Union Saint Gilloise had a new manager along with 3 new signings - we had 3.

Plus the £1.5 million gate and tv money for the home game v PSV . So next Tuesday is a £6.5 million game on its own

I’ve seen a lot of transfer chat around goalkeepers but I do ask anyone- name names of goalies we could realistically afford and who would come here and improve us. And please don’t say that’s Ross Wilson’s job

Really hard position to buy for in football, not even just for us, but even the super clubs.

Liverpool and Chelsea have bought mega expensive keepers, to have egg on their face.

7 players that played in Seville took to the field on Tuesday night. Plenty made the case for McLaughlin to be brought in last season, that's 8. Wright started in Seville, he was on the bench along with a number of players from last season; Sakala, Davis, Arfield.

Union Saint Gilloise had a new manager along with 3 new signings - we had 3.
Agreed. We hear the same tired old excuses every single time we lose one of these qualifiers. It was the exact same stuff when we lost to levski sofia, AEK Athens, FB Kaunas Malmo and all the others.

We’ve had 30 years of the champions league now if we haven’t learned that qualifiers come early and they are always tough no matter who you play then we never will. Saying “ we weren’t ready” isn’t acceptable .

Our 2 goalkeepers have a combined age of almost 80. It’s a farcical position to be in. Sort it out

Last edited:
And one we wouldn't deem to be shite after we concede a goal.
The fact we have allowed a situation to unfold where our number 1 and number 2 goalkeepers at our club have a combined age of almost 80 is frankly absurd. For a big club with aspirations in Europe it’s verging on negligence. And I say that as mcgregors biggest fan.

He shouldn’t have been kept on and I cannot believe we haven’t identified a GK who can come in and be a proper Rangers goalie in the fine tradition we have set over the decades.

You may be right. Name a GK in our price range who would come who would improve us though

Loris Karius and Berke Öze are out of contract.

Daniel Bentley, Yann Sommer, Jo Bursik, Matt Ryan, Nikita Haikin, Ersin Destanoğlu and Max Crepeau all have less than 12 months remaining on their contracts. There are a lot more in there who would command a higher wage. There were a number of keepers available this summer too.

Our keepers are 40 and 35 (next month). McCrorie isn't the answer, IMO. We'll have a list of potential targets.

Ersin Destanoğlu is an excellent keeper, he's also best mates with Ridvan Yilmaz given they grew up together - he's one to keep an eye on. Been linked with a number of big clubs but so was Yilmaz.

Loris Karius and Berke Öze are out of contract.

Daniel Bentley, Yann Sommer, Jo Bursik, Matt Ryan, Nikita Haikin, Ersin Destanoğlu and Max Crepeau all have less than 12 months remaining on their contracts. There are a lot more in there who would command a higher wage. There were a number of keepers available this summer too.

Our keepers are 40 and 35 (next month). McCrorie isn't the answer, IMO. We'll have a list of potential targets.

Ersin Destanoğlu is an excellent keeper, he's also best mates with Ridvan Yilmaz given they grew up together - he's one to keep an eye on. Been linked with a number of big clubs but so was Yilmaz.

Interesting mate. Any chance of listing the age, height, current club and expected cost for each player? I’d be keen to get one of these in if they look the part

Based on what though?
Years of watching him? Every keeper has a mistake in them, very few have that knack of consistent top quality saved and moments however.

That’s why McLaughlin is an able stand in for a few games, but why McGregor should be the number 1 while he’s still here.

Has McLaughlin been number 1 at any club of note before now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back