The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except winning the biggest title in our 150 year history unbeaten in 38 games and taking the one they wanted more than any other to stop “the 10” . That squad? Plus the Scottish cup plus a European final ? Fluffers eh?

Dearie, dearie me.
They have fluffed in time and time again domestically, bizarre you would argue that. Its a fact.

Quite aware they have won 1 league & 1 cup, its kind of the issue. Its not enough.

Exactly. I seen one post highlight the lack of transfer activity by the Europa League finalists at the same time we have CL qualifiers soon! I think the current squad being Europa League finalists should be able to navigate the qualifiers!
Have you seen the unseeded teams we could play? Example

Monaco spending £15m on guys from Liverpool.

PSV signing guys from Sevilla and PSG.

Make no mistake, we are nowhere near being able to navigate the qualifiers if we get a bad draw or two.

Next summer is going to be interesting if the likes of Aribo, Morelos and Kent don’t sign new deals.

We risk losing £30m+ worth of talent for nothing. On top of a number of players out of contract.

How do we finance a rebuild - because that’s exactly what could be required in 12 months time.
More and more players are running down their contracts. We've done well with Bosmans, and will continue to do so.

Make no mistake, we are nowhere near being able to navigate the qualifiers if we get a bad draw or two.
Of course there is that, which makes signings irrelevant on on paper!

Like 2008? Daft arrogance gets you nowhere. Especially with some of the teams we can get.
The only daft thing is making a comparison to 2008, which was completely different circumstances. It’s not arrogant to understand we already have a strong squad going into these games.

I think it's becoming fairly obvious that we have very little to spend which is quite alarming. Perhaps I was being naive but on the back of Gerrard & Patterson money, Europa League money and the highest commercial income in years I was expecting 3-4 players in for around £10-£15 million. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I keep coming back to the fact our squad is in really good shape.

Goldson signing again settled my biggest concern as him leaving would have left a considerable hole to fill from a playing and leadership perspective.

Davis and Arfield signing again also made sense, they know the league, we have loads of games between now and the WC and will help guys like Lowry with their transition.

McGregor is the only blot for me, I love the big man but he can’t be No1 next season - time will tell on that point.

So, defence is in good shape as is the midfield. A starting 3 of Lundstram, Jack and Kamara for example bosses every domestic game. Chuck in Hagi, Davis, Arfield and we are fine.

Striker to replace Itten, a RW to push an improving Wright are the 2 priority signings in my eyes.

Aribo, Kent and Morelos - their contracts need resolved sooner rather than later - 3 new deals would be ideal!!
Decent assessment but we need a lot more goals from midfield - the current group doesn't provide that (Lowry might) and...if we lose any of that front 3 (4 inc Roofe) go it looks as if we might be in big trouble trying to replace them...

I was genuinely shocked when I read on here that Prso was 29 when we signed him. It just shows you how times have changed, I never gave his age a second thought at the time, didn't care about sell on, didn't care about 'the model', just wanted to see the best players we could afford on the modest budget Eck had to work with, on the pitch!

Simpler times.
Agree 100%. People having a go at us for not signing anybody(when we’re clearly trying to work within our model) and then criticising Colak before he’s even kicked a ball and citing the model as the reason. Very disingenuous.

I am not overly concerned as we’re still very early in the window and have a month before a competitive game. The squad now whilst on paper similar is also in a better place this summer than last. I’d be amazed if we’re so underprepared going into the qualifiers even in the nuclear scenario of having not signed anybody. That being said, financially we couldn’t have asked for a better season on the pitch last year and given we haven’t spent in two years now, I’d be lying if I said I’m not surprised at our apparent lack of available funds. We need to back a new manager by hook or by crook, particularly one that has already shown us what he can do with somebody else’s players.

id love to sign that Oscar Gloukh - hes expensive but we would make a profit on him for definate, looks a wonderkid for the future

Katic, Simpson and Sands need to go IMO for us to release some wage funds. Middleton and Kelly back out on loan with wages covered in full. Aribo and McCrorie more than likely to be sold and "hopefully" that should be enough to kick start the transfer activity
Sands is loan till next summer. We still don't know how good he is.

We'll have a better idea this time next year.

My thoughts exactly.

What a sound bite that “thousands on a database” is. What a load of pïsh.

That will come back to haunt those in charge if we don’t strengthen where we need to.
I wonder how many on the list of 1000s are realistic targets.

I'd love to know.

Its a bit like last season when we should have strengthened to retain the league yet got to a euro final won the cup and blew the title and riches it guaranteed.

Money is tight and why we aren't splashing but perhaps if we had strengthened more last season we'd have won the league and have had a bigger budget this season to strengthen again?

Our squad isn't at all bad a few fresh faces could make a huge difference.

id love to sign that Oscar Gloukh - hes expensive but we would make a profit on him for definate, looks a wonderkid for the future
That one won't be happening if the reported £8m fee is accurate. And even then, would we even make a profit? We seem to be averse to selling assets.

Nit so s
Katic, Simpson and Sands need to go IMO for us to release some wage funds. Middleton and Kelly back out on loan with wages covered in full. Aribo and McCrorie more than likely to be sold and "hopefully" that should be enough to kick start the transfer activity
Not so sure about Sands, I would give him a while yet. The problem of putting out Middleton and Kelly on loan again is that they will most likely go to another SPL club so there is probably no chance of getting their wages covered. I would agree though that there is dead wood there that needs to be got rid of.

I sub H&H and listen daily, but I'm getting fed up with how they tend to toe the party line with things like this instead of actually giving a critique of what it is they're being told

Couple of days ago they were out with David Graham's fighting talk about how Rangers won't be hanging about for Colak and will move on to other targets if this drags on much longer.

Generally a good listen, just wish they'd actually pick some of these obvious club lines apart instead of just nodding and saying yes.
Have you posted your displeasure on H&H as opposed to on here?

Sands is loan till next summer. We still don't know how good he is.

We'll have a better idea this time next year.
I can see why we took the loan to buy option but there is no chance we are paying £4/5 million to sign him permanently.

Sands is a steady average player that's it and very similar to the rest of our central midfield options.

Saying 'we are nowhere near being able to navigate the qualifiers if we get a bad draw or two' isn't really true.

We might lose if we get a difficult draw. Likewise we might win. Saying 'we are nowhere near' is off.

We've beat better teams than Monaco and PSV over two legs within the last 5 months so strange to completely right us off.

of course, id rather keep Aribo mate
Big decisions need to be made soon regarding Kent, Aribo and Alfie.

There is absolutely no way we can allow all 3 of them to run down their deals.

It looks to me like they're all waiting to see if we reach the CL. This could obviously be totally wrong but it's starting to feel that way.

See that Jonny McFarlane that says we have no interest in the boy from Israel. If one of the guys that's part H&H mentioned that we had scouted him, is he being called a liar?

Agree 100%. People having a go at us for not signing anybody(when we’re clearly trying to work within our model) and then criticising Colak before he’s even kicked a ball and citing the model as the reason. Very disingenuous.

I am not overly concerned as we’re still very early in the window and have a month before a competitive game. The squad now whilst on paper similar is also in a better place this summer than last. I’d be amazed if we’re so underprepared going into the qualifiers even in the nuclear scenario of having not signed anybody. That being said, financially we couldn’t have asked for a better season on the pitch last year and given we haven’t spent in two years now, I’d be lying if I said I’m not surprised at our apparent lack of available funds. We need to back a new manager by hook or by crook, particularly one that has already shown us what he can do with somebody else’s players.

I think people forget how much of a shit show last summer's preparation was. The summer camp cancelled at the last minute so we had to do the whole thing at the training centre, players returning from internationals in drips and drabs, Alfie having to train in the Holiday Inn car park!

Add to that the suspensions and injuries we had going into the CL qualifiers, and a manager that seems to have lost his mojo it wasn't the best.

On the flip side our qualifying games could be much tougher than last season, however I think we should remember just how strong the current squad finished the season, we won't play anyone as good as Leipzig.

We only need a couple of players as things stand, a striker and a right winger, that could change if players leave if course.

We all want players in, it's only natural and the frustration is made worse by there not being a world cup to distract us, it's clear Colak will be one and waiting a few days till PAOK get cover in isn't really that major an issue.

Its basically the same squad who have fluffed it time and time again domestically.

Nobody is arguing that they get themselves up for a European night and do us proud.
We also won the Scottish Cup for the first time in quite a while. I'm not sure your point is worth making beyond you think we should win every trophy despite the opposition being relatively strong and making that difficult.

I was genuinely shocked when I read on here that Prso was 29 when we signed him. It just shows you how times have changed, I never gave his age a second thought at the time, didn't care about sell on, didn't care about 'the model', just wanted to see the best players we could afford on the modest budget Eck had to work with, on the pitch!

Simpler times.
That wasn’t the ‘model’ at that time though.

It’s true board / Wilson who keep banging on about us having to buy young and develop to be sustainable.

I think it's becoming fairly obvious that we have very little to spend which is quite alarming. Perhaps I was being naive but on the back of Gerrard & Patterson money, Europa League money and the highest commercial income in years I was expecting 3-4 players in for around £10-£15 million. I don't think that's unreasonable.
I don't think we ever spend that sort of money these days. Even if we had regular CL money, you're then just relying on that with how poor the Scottish league money is.
Also we can find decent players for free or little to no money

It’s mental because when you say we could possible fact Monaco then PSV it’s met with we beat better on the way to Seville. You just know that should we fail to make the Champions League the above comment will be one of the many examples trotted out.

If we can’t make the CL after three bites at the cherry then we don’t deserve to be there.

Have you posted your displeasure on H&H as opposed to on here?
giphy.webp

Next summer is going to be interesting if the likes of Aribo, Morelos and Kent don’t sign new deals.

We risk losing £30m+ worth of talent for nothing. On top of a number of players out of contract.

How do we finance a rebuild - because that’s exactly what could be required in 12 months time.
This is exactly my concern. If these 3 go for nothing next year then the trading model is completely broken

They all have to toe the line.

Great for club fed info, just dont expect any probing of the club to be heavy as it risks them being cut off from the club fed info.
They pay for info .

You can’t say that after how we have performed in Europe past few seasons .

I've not mentioned CL qualifiers in a single post, not one.

You are willing to wait, but you are willing to wait without any guarantee whatsoever that the player will actually become available for transfer. Are you happy to let that situation run until August 31st?

What is PAOKs budget for a striker? Is the player they want available? Have their scouting team been identifying in preparation for this window? How long will it take for them to negotiate with the players and the selling club? Are they at all of a mind that keeping Colak is a serious option?

How is it acceptable for us to just stand by while we have absolutely no idea or control about any of the above?

If we had a cast iron guarantee the deal would take 1 more week then fine, this is not about impatience. I'm uneasy with playing a waiting game when we can't even be fully certain of the final outcome.

When you were in the meeting / discussions Rangers had with PAOK did the clubs not discuss these things? Why didn’t you flag it up to our representatives that we need to have an approximate time frame at worse?

I don't think the fee is confirmed & it might well be the case, that he's not up to the standard.
I like to give players more time before making my mind up, especially when he hasn't played an awful lot.

Simpler times.
No reason why that can’t be the case with some of our signings. Need to balance players who are already in their peek and have experience with players we can develop and sell for a profit. This is why I’m happy with the Colak signing as we took Itten as the player with potential and he didn’t work out, so would prefer a guy to come in and be ready to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back