The Sun...Cardiff to bid 1.5 million for Windass

I’m not Windass’ biggest fan but I’d like to see how he’d develop as a striker. He’s certainly not a midfielder, winger or creative number 10, but with he has a lot of good attributes to be very decent centre forward for us. His finishing in those Rangers TV videos is top notch.

I'm not convinced he isn't a winger to be honest. Hasn't really been tried there. He's got a bit of skill and can go past players at pace. Definitely not a no.10 though, agreed.

Settled and signed a new long term deal. Takes stick on here but probs the best finisher at the club and we should no way be entertaining shite offers like this. Days of us letting players go cheap should be over.

Cardiff £1.5m=...
giphy.gif

1-0 up against the scum counted at that time... goal at pittodrie counted.
He played well up front ahead of the diamond v Aberdeen but that makes my point that he’s a second striker not an attacking midfielder.

He was really poor for the rest of the game v them though. You can’t say because a guy scores a goal but leaves you a man short in midfield the rest of the game he’s done it when it has counted.

He hasn’t done it for us when it has counted imo and to me he causes us real problems in our shape. Judges purely as an individual though, he’s got attributes and potential.

The important difference with Armstrong is we have Windass on a long-term deal and Armstrong has a only a year left. Armstrong is probably the more reliable player just now but the fact we have Windass tied up combined with his potential means we shouldn’t be thinking about anything less than 6m.

1.5 m feels made up and if it’s not Cardiff are a joke.

I agree with your valuation of Windass but I have to ask, did anyone last season do it for us when it counted?

IMO - Windass is not the issue with our shape. Our problem was central defence and a lack of quality in that area. I would also say playing two out and out wingers is not the best idea.

Windass scored away at Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen and he scored against the filth, I don't know of another Rangers player who did that last season.

You can't complain that Scottish football is a backwater and then happily sell one of your best players for £1.5m. We have to learn to hold out for what a player is actually worth in modern day football, not football of 10/15 years ago. Confident we will do that too!

So at a time when the tramps have just sold Armstrong for circa £7m, you’d be happy selling our top goal scorer for £1.5m? This is a Cardiff team that’s just netted over £100m after being promoted and you’d sell for peanuts? Is that you Martin Bain?
Armstrong is a pretty good player,Windass (I think ) is crap.

Have you been working on the board all this time Haha? Nah 1.5 is grossly underselling mate. I'm not his biggest fan but he's worth more than that.
When did this valuation of him suddenly zoom up to the millions?
Before SG got here most of us just wanted to get rid,and if we got a few bucks in the process,all the better.:)

When did this valuation of him suddenly zoom up to the millions?
Before SG got here most of us just wanted to get rid,and if we got a few bucks in the process,all the better.:)

Just the market mate. He scored a good amount last year. Has pace to burn. Young. Still developing. Good attributes. English(weirdly a premium on English people).

I think 1.5mil would be negligence from us.

All the attributes ? How about attempting to win a 50-50 ball? Even a 60-40 ball. Non contact player.:(

I must have missed all those forwards in modern football who love a good 50:50 tackle and getting tore into players. Going on the world cup so far 99.9% of the forwards are obviously not good enough for us due to the lack of 50:50 tackles they avoid and keep going down with the slightest touch. We should maybe scout the juniors for this type of forward I am sure there will be more robust attackers.

I must have missed all those forwards in modern football who love a good 50:50 tackle and getting tore into players. Going on the world cup so far 99.9% of the forwards are obviously not good enough for us due to the lack of 50:50 tackles they avoid and keep going down with the slightest touch. We should maybe scout the juniors for this type of forward I am sure there will be more robust attackers.
:rolleyes:

Can't help but think Windass will really kick on and improve under Gerrard,£1.5m might be tempting looking back at last seasons form but I think he is still worth another season before we offload him.

Start at £3.5m, then we’ll know you’re serious. Regardless of the abuse, he was a big player for us last season and is easily worth half of Armstrong’s value.

Can't help but think Windass will really kick on and improve under Gerrard,£1.5m might be tempting looking back at last seasons form but I think he is still worth another season before we offload him.
even on last seasons form that is too low an offer.

I agree with your valuation of Windass but I have to ask, did anyone last season do it for us when it counted?

IMO - Windass is not the issue with our shape. Our problem was central defence and a lack of quality in that area. I would also say playing two out and out wingers is not the best idea.

Windass scored away at Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen and he scored against the filth, I don't know of another Rangers player who did that last season.

Maybe I can partially agree with JW not being the issue with our shape but isn't that because there's a hole in our shape that he's disappeared into ?
I can appreciate his good points - but can't explain him going missing for long periods -
He's hardly alone in this sort of performance - Arsenal fans say the same about Ozil - although I'd rather have 5 minutes of Ozil than 20 minutes of Windass
Hardly the point though - sooner or later he has to improve his contribution over 90 minutes or SG has to decide he's too much of a luxury to keep IMHO

Maybe I can partially agree with JW not being the issue with our shape but isn't that because there's a hole in our shape that he's disappeared into ?
I can appreciate his good points - but can't explain him going missing for long periods -
He's hardly alone in this sort of performance - Arsenal fans say the same about Ozil - although I'd rather have 5 minutes of Ozil than 20 minutes of Windass
Hardly the point though - sooner or later he has to improve his contribution over 90 minutes or SG has to decide he's too much of a luxury to keep IMHO

And IMO he will improve with better players around him.

Charlie Adam has been mentioned in this thread and how Gers fans never rated him and will was worth 10s of millions in transfer fees after us.

Adam was in a midfield with Barry Ferguson and Stevie Davis, he had Boyd, Darcheville or Novo in front of him and Weir, Cuellar, Papac and Hutton behind him and Hutton was one of the best right sided players in Britain at the time. Adam contributed to that team but fans could not take to him.

Windass is in a team of players who - unfortunately are nowhere near the ability of the team Adam was in.

It is no coincidence Windass performs best for Rangers when the game is open - away from home or v the filth. The best players in the world struggle to break down defences that are packed with 9 or 10 players behind the ball as we have seen in the world cup.

We need better players and a different system for home matches. The managerial situation has done nothing to improve players like Windass, Tavernier or Morelos. I hope Stevie G fixes that.

I wouldnt even respond to that offer , just hang up the phone or delete the email or rip up the fax ( old school)

If nothing comes of this we’ll be back here in a few months having the same discussions about Windass we’ve had each season.

Cardiff, listen up. You are gettin naebody for 1 point 5 million ya mad bastards.

So go away and think again.

Windass could be excellent for us. He had for the most part a really good season for us.

Most of our fans wouldnt be happy unless we had 11 players thundering into tackles.

Charlie Adam has been mentioned in this thread and how Gers fans never rated him and will was worth 10s of millions in transfer fees after us.

Adam was in a midfield with Barry Ferguson and Stevie Davis, he had Boyd, Darcheville or Novo in front of him and Weir, Cuellar, Papac and Hutton behind him and Hutton was one of the best right sided players in Britain at the time. Adam contributed to that team but fans could not take to him.

Windass is in a team of players who - unfortunately are nowhere near the ability of the team Adam was in.

It is no coincidence Windass performs best for Rangers when the game is open - away from home or v the filth. The best players in the world struggle to break down defences that are packed with 9 or 10 players behind the ball as we have seen in the world cup.

We need better players and a different system for home matches. The managerial situation has done nothing to improve players like Windass, Tavernier or Morelos. I hope Stevie G fixes that.

I wouldn't disagree with much of what you posted- although I can't say the Charlie Adam example is all that comparable -
For example I might agree fans didn't take to CA perhaps the way they should have done - but one thing you could never accuse him of was disappearing

Like my earlier post - irrespective of the quality of the players around JW or the system he plays in away or at home against packed defences - the task SG has is to get 90 minutes worth of contribution from him
So far he has not shown any ability or even ambition to take up better positions off the ball to either make himself a better target for his team mates or tie up opponents freeing up space for others

I don't believe he's got a footballing brain & I'm not sure that's something that is easily taught
I would be happier than most if he turns a corner with SG's help & teaching - but forgive me if meantime I find this £5M plus stuff pretty unrealistic

Rangers supporters always complain about a player no matter how talented when he doesn't dive into fifty fifties.
It has always been thus.

On the other hand, any limited performer who gives a hundred percent and is prepared to bleed for the cause is instantly adored.

I think it is a British thing and most definitely Scottish trait.

I wouldn't disagree with much of what you posted- although I can't say the Charlie Adam example is all that comparable -
For example I might agree fans didn't take to CA perhaps the way they should have done - but one thing you could never accuse him of was disappearing

Like my earlier post - irrespective of the quality of the players around JW or the system he plays in away or at home against packed defences - the task SG has is to get 90 minutes worth of contribution from him
So far he has not shown any ability or even ambition to take up better positions off the ball to either make himself a better target for his team mates or tie up opponents freeing up space for others

I don't believe he's got a footballing brain & I'm not sure that's something that is easily taught
I would be happier than most if he turns a corner with SG's help & teaching - but forgive me if meantime I find this £5M plus stuff pretty unrealistic

Hey mate - you opinion is fine - Windass is definitely one who splits opinion.

I feel he is worth a shot under SG who I think can teach Windass to cope with packed defences because this is clearly the system that JW has an issue against and tends to drift.

I have to disagree about his positioning - he does take up good position in games that are more open - that is the key here - in an open game Windass is an asset. He has the pace to get away from other players and can finish.

I hope SG can help him cope with tighter games.

It also has to be said there is nobody in the team last season who was a 90 minute player - actually wee Holt was but nobody else.

I am looking forward to this season - SG will increase fitness levels and help our players to be stronger mentally.

Going solely on JW's performances last season - anyone that thinks this player is worth £5M & will not struggle badly in the EPL - should have gone to Specsavers IMHO

Given the type of money flying around in the English Championship now, let alone the Premier League, I think that 5M is a reasonable valuation for a guy as productive as Windass is.

Stats (rightly or wrongly) are being used more and more to identify players who fit in to systems and can make a difference in teams. Windass, based on stats, should be one of our prized assets and this ties in with Gerrards comments on wanting to keep him. 1.5M is quite frankly insulting and they should be told to poke it. When there is interest like this, we need to sell up his pro’s based on the stats and ask for no less than 5m just for us to listen.

He certainly isn’t the finished article and can be very frustrating but he’s worth a lot more to us than 1.5M.

Back