Their game tonight

Midfield General

I hope Stevie G had the squad watching that lot.Valencia without being brilliant totally outclassed them with simple crisp passing and pressing them all over the park.If we can continue our recent run and other teams show a bit of bottle against them this league is there to be won.

Problem is our passing and ball retention is hopeless.
I actually thought Valencia gave the ball away quite easily at times, in fact they reminded me of us at times.
Didn’t think they looked too dangerous but they got in the scums faces and forced them to make mistakes

Valencia looked sharp and their team is worth a hell of a lot more than Celtic's.

In saying that, Celtic have some numpties. Brown is hopeless if he's put under pressure, same for their full back 4 (especially Izaguirre).

I ended up watching the full match and all the stuff after,ended up having a nice wee night to myself.
Watching Sutton,Hartson and Scott Macdonald greeting their eyes out was lovely stuff.
Said on another thread that Sutton wasn’t the same smug grinning prick he normally is when doing our games.

Hunted was on but i heard they got gubbed ...no big surprise there .. celtc had us out the road and made a bit of wedge out of Europe latterly to enable better recruitment than the rest of the league but they are no great shakes ..PSG Milan and Barcelona minced them among ohers .. it will all be done over there soon enough

I don't get this. They were playing a team streets ahead of them. That is why they look so bad. Not many teams in our league can compete with them. We are kidding ourselves if we think they are so bad. Wishful thinking maybe?

Watch them trying to defend. Comedy gold.

I don't get this. They were playing a team streets ahead of them. That is why they look so bad. Not many teams in our league can compete with them. We are kidding ourselves if we think they are so bad. Wishful thinking maybe?
They can look good when they are allowed to play (think of our first game against them compared to the game on the 29th december)They don't seem to handle it well when teams get in their faces,to do that you don't have to be brilliant just show a bit of belief.

A lot of folk getting a bit carried away by tonight’s result, the mhanks were playing a really good side, a million miles from the dross they face week in week out in the SPFL.

He was walking everywhere from about 70 minutes lol . The Spaniards knew it as well as it all went down his side.

I counted the Valencia fella skin him about 4 times.

Not just that but he gave the ball away all night and offered nothing going forward. Just like Brown, he’s finished. Finished!

The only thing we can replicate is the pressing and we know it works, sadly we don't have players like Parejo who is on another stratosphere to anything in Scotland.

Down to killie now.

If they sit off them they will lose

If they have a go they are pretty much guaranteed to come away with something.

Killie have got their results against us and them by sitting deep, being hard to break down and playing on the counter.

Very doubtful they'll change that approach on Sunday.

On the main point - no team in our league, including ourselves right now, is capable of strolling it against that lot like Valencia did tonight. We showed we can beat them and play well against them, but we had to be at our best. Valencia didn't.

The only thing we can replicate is the pressing and we know it works, sadly we don't have players like Parejo who is on another stratosphere to anything in Scotland.
We just need to move the ball quick around them and get the ball zipping about.

I hope Stevie G had the squad watching that lot.Valencia without being brilliant totally outclassed them with simple crisp passing and pressing them all over the park.If we can continue our recent run and other teams show a bit of bottle against them this league is there to be won.
I agree with the pressing and in there faces as the last game showed, however there is no way we are anywhere near the crisp passing and skill level of Valencia., and the problem with us going on to win the league is there are no other teams with the bottle to take enough points off them.

Killie have got their results against us and them by sitting deep, being hard to break down and playing on the counter.

Very doubtful they'll change that approach on Sunday.

On the main point - no team in our league, including ourselves right now, is capable of strolling it against that lot like Valencia did tonight. We showed we can beat them and play well against them, but we had to be at our best. Valencia didn't.
Ae did stroll it mate, on another day we could of won by at least 4 or 5

We just need to move the ball quick around them and get the ball zipping about.
Would be great to see but Valencia and Salzburg have players who can do that with ease, we won't see players of that standard in the Spl full stop.

Parejo for instance is magnificent and he didn't even have to get out 2nd gear

Down to killie now.

If they sit off them they will lose

If they have a go they are pretty much guaranteed to come away with something.
Mhanks often struggle after a midweek euro match. I'm hopeful KIllie can take advantage this w/e but not much chance Motherwell can repeat following the game in Spain.

I noticed at Valencia's second goal ,Brown was in a similar situation to the one last week against hibs where he had a 50/50 ball and lost it but to retrieve the situation he made a two footed tackle on the hibs player ,but managed to escape punishment .Tonight however it was almost as if he realised , oh wait a minute this isn't a Scottish referee and I won't get away with what I did last week and as a result the Valencia player easily won the ball and played the ball forward for the second goal.
Strangely in the post match interview Brown was talking about the return game and if I heard correctly he said that next week they would have a chance as they would be playing on a better pitch , strange kind of logic as they were outclassed on their own pitch by a team who had never played on it before and yet he expects to beat them on their own pitch .AYE RIGHT

This just shows how hopeless Rodgers is as a tactician.

You can't play against a team that is technically better than you with the same approach that you use against teams that are a lot weaker (i.e. SPL teams).

In addition, a high pressing approach is asking for trouble against a team that has real pace and can pass the ball behind the defence.

Stevie G. take note. Rodgers only has one tactical approach.

Brown was being rightly slaughtered for his dismal display in the old firm.

He then puts in his standard plodder performance against St Johnstone at home and all of a sudden he’s the messiah once again - pundits and punters telling us how much of a Celtic legend he is.

First tough game he’s had since he played us and it’s back to his absolute worst.

Stick a fork in him, he’s done.

n my opinion
Valencia are well down their league and we're without 4 of their best players tonight, not a top class side In my opinion.

If Rangers show up like at Ibrox, Rangers should beat them, I'm confident of that.

Great analysis of Brown's performance in the Guardian:

"Scott Brown, who endured his latest torrid night against serious opposition, conceded possession and the ball was swiftly shifted towards Cheryshev on the left flank."

Valencia are outstanding their passing and movement is frighteningly good. A joy to watch.

As usual those cunts get a wake up call when they come up against a proper team and look like scared wee boys making unforced error after unforced error.

Back