Their game tonight

Spanish football journalist I follow wasn't impressed.

It is bemusing. I couldn’t believe the number of times Lustig, Benkovic and Boyata just gave us the ball at Ibrox. They’re told to play and they can’t. The horror story that is Rodger’s Euro record at both Liverpool and with the Penn Staters is much neglected. He’s a decent coach obviously but he’s very stubborn and it hurts them.

Didn't watch the game but listened to the pundits leading up to it.

Everyone predicted a comfortable victory based their current form. If it was us we would all acknowledge our current form would have been due to an easy run of games at home after break. And we would have been leary of any Spanish opposition.

Not them. I love it when they are unrealistically over confident. And hopefully Killie test their confidence on the weekend. It's not unrealistic to expect a draw in this game.

How much did Valencia spend in the summer?

Valencia are sitting 11 points clear of Villarreal in the league table and just pumped them 3-0 the other week.

Would still much rather take our results than theirs tonight, but don't see how you can claim that Villarreal are the better side.

Spending more doesn't make you a better team.

Rodgers is a poor, one-track coach who (like Warburton) only knows one way to play and cannot coach his players any other way. It always comes apart against teams who look at what they are doing and can't quite believe what they see.

It's obvious and I cannot believe nobody in Scotland seems to pick up on it. They sit off them, give them time for the defenders that cannot pass under pressure to come out and give the ball to an incredibly slow defensive midfielder to distribute, then they build momentum and get two in quick succession and coast to a win.

All you have to do to stop that is drop off the keeper, put pressure on the CB's who for whatever reason are forced to pass it out of defense, cut off all of Brown's passing lanes and they drop deeper and deeper to pick up the ball.

Once they are forced back, they panic and start launching diagonals to the wingers or wing-backs, using the size of their massive pitch to try and wear out the opposition. If that doesn't work they try really intricate passing in the midfield, which they are no good at, to find a way through, cut those passes out and you strangle the life out of them and they run our of ideas fast. Finally they all drop really narrow and try to get the opposition to do the same before springing width and launching balls in the channels for their wide players to run onto. Archaic 1980's Cambridge United rubbish based on POMO football and easily countered.

Once you've gone through those 15 minutes you have a platform to work from.

Had a wee look on the dark side to see the reaction - my favourite so far:

The difference in quality in opposition in our domestic league and this level of European competition really hurts us more than most other teams.
It's so difficult to maintain a certain level of composure and skill with what we face most weeks.
I know you can still point to the schoolboy defending that we exhibited for both goals, but if you are only put under that kind of pressure a certain number of times over a 12 month period, it's hard to build up those levels of concentration and competency required on the training pitch or in our league.

I find it ever so curious that they bring the financial gap into it when they persistently get brought down to earth in europe, but never mention it in the league.

In short they're not a very good team or chock full of the super-stars our mhedia would tell you, we gave them a lesson on Dec 29th and we have that monkey off our backs now, but in the end all that matters is what WE do against the rest, the games against them will take care of themselves but i have confidence we'll turn them over again.

Valencia are sitting 11 points clear of Villarreal in the league table and just pumped them 3-0 the other week.

Would still much rather take our results than theirs tonight, but don't see how you can claim that Villarreal are the better side.

Spending more doesn't make you a better team.
Look at their European campaigns in recent years versus ours, Villarreal was a much larger task than them vs Valencia.
Yet we stood tall with 10 men, unfairly by the way, for 60 odd minutes.
Maybe they’re not better this year, but they spent more, and have a European pedigree, and we went toe to toe.
Maybe some just enjoy making excuses for ceptic mind you :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This just shows how hopeless Rodgers is as a tactician.

You can't play against a team that is technically better than you with the same approach that you use against teams that are a lot weaker (i.e. SPL teams).

In addition, a high pressing approach is asking for trouble against a team that has real pace and can pass the ball behind the defence.

Stevie G. take note. Rodgers only has one tactical approach.
an abyss between him and smith and yet the media here derides smith history n europe but suck rodgers boabie

I hope Stevie G had the squad watching that lot.Valencia without being brilliant totally outclassed them with simple crisp passing and pressing them all over the park.If we can continue our recent run and other teams show a bit of bottle against them this league is there to be won.
You mean like December 29th?

Look at their European campaigns in recent years versus ours, Villarreal was a much larger task than them vs Valencia.
Yet we stood tall with 10 men, unfairly by the way, for 60 odd minutes.
Maybe they’re not better this year, but they spent more, and have a European pedigree, and we went toe to toe.
Maybe some just enjoy making excuses for ceptic mind you :rolleyes:

I don’t think he’s making excuses for Celtic, he’s just giving you the facts. Valencia are far clear of Villarreal in the league and just scudded them 3-0, they’re a better team.

Villarreal’s spend means nothing, under Waburton and Pedro we spent far more than Aberdeen only to be a poorer side than they were.

Whenever the mentally challengeds get beat off a better team we get ahead of ourselves far too much.

People thinking cause Valencia beat the tims with ease that means Motherwell killie etc can all the time.

They are still better than the majority of our league.

What? So Burkes pace didn' terrorise them like I read in the week? And Sinclair the vanquisher of St Johnstone is actually bang average?. Edouard, Boyata & now even Weah. This team is so over hyped in Scotland it is embarrassing.

an abyss between him and smith and yet the media here derides smith history n europe but suck rodgers boabie

Smith's teams never shipped goals the way Celtc do. Yet he was accused of playing anti-football. Like there is something noble about getting gubbed 5-0 and 7-1 by PSG. That never happened to Smith's teams.

Really pleasing to see Brenda and his team getting passed about like an old scud book by a bang average Valencia side.

The 29th December showed us the blue print to play them

I'm their faces from the start and their back line will make mistakes

It's obvious and I cannot believe nobody in Scotland seems to pick up on it. They sit off them, give them time for the defenders that cannot pass under pressure to come out and give the ball to an incredibly slow defensive midfielder to distribute, then they build momentum and get two in quick succession and coast to a win.

I completely agree, that's why Hearts hammered them 4-0 last season at Tynecastle and why Hearts played them off the park start of this season and beat them 1-0 when Lafferty scored. Once Rangers came out and threw everything at Celtic and didn't give them room to breathe, they didn't know what to do.

What I do want to touch upon, however, to clarify your point is the St. Johnstone game I watched to see whether St. Johnstone would take any points, although St. Johnstone defended relatively well, I couldn't believe just how poor the standard was. One St. Johnstone player half jogged with the ball in his own half and easily lost it, he looked like he was taking lightyears just to do something simple and it's that poor quality as to why St. Johnstone couldn't trouble Celtic.

So Celtic are not as good as people think they are. Shut them down, don't give them room to breathe and Celtic won't get much.

So much pish about their great form since the break, scoring loads, not conceded etc.

Their games were

Airdrie H
St Mirren H
Hamilton H
St Johnstone A
St Johnstone H
Hibs H
St Johnstone H

First game against a good side and made to look like a bloody pub team.

Hope they continue to buy into their own hype.

Would have preferred they still had a chance for the away leg so they put more into it but cant have it all I suppose.

I find it ever so curious that they bring the financial gap into it when they persistently get brought down to earth in europe, but never mention it in the league.

Here’s the thing though, there is no financial gap between Celtic and Valencia, Celtic actually have a larger turnover.

We played a better Spanish team and got a better result away and at home with 10men.
Love to rub it in to them when they lose, but let’s not exaggerate.

Valencia 8th, with only 4 defeats in 23 games.
Villarreal 19th of 20, with only 3 wins in 22 games.

Telling the truth doesn’t worsen our achievement or make their defeat any better for them.

n my opinion
Valencia are well down their league and we're without 4 of their best players tonight, not a top class side In my opinion.
I'm not saying they are a top side. Just saying they are streets ahead of the mentally challengeds.

We played a better Spanish team and got a better result away and at home with 10men.
We got better results of course but Valencia are better than Villareal mate, still the fact we got a draw with 10 men against any team from la liga is a brilliant result.

Celtic games no the problem for me. It’s us against the rest and our poor run off wins ina row. We can’t seem to muster up 4/5/6 wins in the bounce. Seem to win 3 draw 1 loose one win a couple ect.

I laughed when the ball was hit into the crowd and the camera followed it.
A wee boy caught it and I thought his dad was telling him to throw it back.
He stuck it under his seat and looked away as if to say , I’ve no got it!
The Manks will be studying the cctv to identify the thief to get their ball back.

What? So Burkes pace didn' terrorise them like I read in the week? And Sinclair the vanquisher of St Johnstone is actually bang average?. Edouard, Boyata & now even Weah. This team is so over hyped in Scotland it is embarrassing.

wee mention of wonderbhoy's "25m tag" again last week, pretty sure they asked Everton for £15m and they told them to bolt last summer?

so he's moved up more than £10m despite being injured for most of this campaign, typical fantasy writing from the Scottish mhedia

See what happens when you don't play st Johnstone every week........ they have had the easiest of starts to the year and thought they were world beaters, let's see how they do with their next batch of fixtures.

My wife came home last night asking are rangers in liquidation as she was training a new guy and it's all he was talking about

She knows nothing about football he was obviously talking about it being 7 years since it happened

On his first day in a new job

To a woman training him

On the day of their euro game

As long as they play Hesaqeerie for more games it gives them a real problem at lb which will be exposed.

My wife came home last night asking are rangers in liquidation as she was training a new guy and it's all he was talking about

She knows nothing about football he was obviously talking about it being 7 years since it happened

To a woman training him

why are you surprised by this? :))

After watching some of the Valencia match last night you learn something new every day...for years we have known that in a black hole the laws of science change. Well apparently in a shithole the laws of football also change....whoda thought that ?

I noticed at Valencia's second goal ,Brown was in a similar situation to the one last week against hibs where he had a 50/50 ball and lost it but to retrieve the situation he made a two footed tackle on the hibs player ,but managed to escape punishment .Tonight however it was almost as if he realised , oh wait a minute this isn't a Scottish referee and I won't get away with what I did last week and as a result the Valencia player easily won the ball and played the ball forward for the second goal.
Strangely in the post match interview Brown was talking about the return game and if I heard correctly he said that next week they would have a chance as they would be playing on a better pitch , strange kind of logic as they were outclassed on their own pitch by a team who had never played on it before and yet he expects to beat them on their own pitch .AYE RIGHT
I think they are pretty well fu@ked especially if they don't get a ref whose is favouring them, like what they get in the republic of Scotland.

Danny parejo,vass,kondogbia etc

The reason the passing is so crisp is because these are class players

Had a wee look on the dark side to see the reaction - my favourite so far:

The difference in quality in opposition in our domestic league and this level of European competition really hurts us more than most other teams.
It's so difficult to maintain a certain level of composure and skill with what we face most weeks.
I know you can still point to the schoolboy defending that we exhibited for both goals, but if you are only put under that kind of pressure a certain number of times over a 12 month period, it's hard to build up those levels of concentration and competency required on the training pitch or in our league.
They also don't have the same refs or compliance officer to help them or a media that is able to influence refs and compliant people either, a level playing field fu@ks them every time.

Kilmarnock couldn’t give a f*ck about the game on Sunday they’ll be resting players and keeping full tanks for their biggest game of the season against us a couple of days later. Simple.

To a woman training him

Fire the prick he's not concentrating on the job.

So much pish about their great form since the break, scoring loads, not conceded etc.

Their games were

Airdrie H
St Mirren H
Hamilton H
St Johnstone A
St Johnstone H
Hibs H
St Johnstone H

First game against a good side and made to look like a bloody pub team.

Hope they continue to buy into their own hype.

Would have preferred they still had a chance for the away leg so they put more into it but cant have it all I suppose.

I was about to post exactly this.

Back