Torbett appeals sentence and conviction (bbc)

peter robertson

Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett is to appeal his conviction for sexually abusing young players.

Torbett was jailed for six years earlier this month after a judge said he had used the football team as a "recruiting ground" to prey on boys.

Two victims had been in his under-14s football teams, while the third was abused by Torbett at the age of five.

The 71-year-old, from Kelvindale, Glasgow, was found guilty of five abuse charges between 1986 and 1994.

He had denied the charges during a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

The judiciary office in Edinburgh has confirmed his lawyers have lodged an appeal against both conviction and sentence.

No further court date has been set.

This is just to prolong things .... if he dies before the appeal.... what happens?

Repulsive as the crimes are, our judicial process does allow the right to appeal.

My mind boggles .

Who or what sinister person(s) are behind this sick monster appealing and for what reasons ?

I rule nothing out here ,it could be an absolute sick twisted agenda behind the scenes preluding to breathtaking attempts to re write history

The inhumanity of this monster knows no bounds.

The lack of empathy from an entire football support is simply staggering. But no surprise.

They ignore their own crimes.... because their cult encourages them to.
Correct...do a heinous crime confess all to a priest who in all fairness probably has previous and he tells you to do a few prayers and thats it everything is ok....lot of pish!

He's just abusing his victims again, I'd reduce his sentence though if he gave up the names of everyone involved in his paedophile ring and gave evidence against them and those that enabled the ring to operate
It needs to finally be laid bare.

My mind boggles .

Who or what sinister person(s) are behind this sick monster appealing and for what reasons ?

I rule nothing out here ,it could be an absolute sick twisted agenda behind the scenes preluding to breathtaking attempts to re write history
He was jailed before, took his sentence and his £1million.

I wonder how much he's being paid now to appeal?
He was at pains to distance cbc from cfc during the trial, and now this when questions are finally being asked of the filth?

My mind boggles .

The answer is simple, mate. Greedy lawyers with ££££ signs in their eyes. And the RC church-CFC to try to shift blame.
All it does is keep it in the public eye longer.

Beggars belief what this sick rat is capable of,majority of decent people thought his sentence was lenient,surely his council will tell him to leave it,plus as far as I'm aware,his lawyer or q.c. will weigh up the evidence,and advise him if it is worth an appeal,I hope he's paying for his defence in all this himself,ps the Scottish government has been diabolical in all this,they should hold their heads in shame,it's the victims who deserve justice,and acknowledgment from the fm or at least the justice minister,would maybe help them a small bit at least.

Keeps it in the news and perhaps some other brave victims can find the courage to nail this monster and Celtc even harder

An appeal court can only set aside your conviction for one of the following three reasons:
  • the verdict was unreasonable or couldn't be supported by the evidence;
  • the judge made an error of law; or.
  • there was a miscarriage of justice on any grounds (basis).

A scumbag like Torbett will love this,it’s pure theatre for him and his kind,we were told after he was sentenced that he was going to do this and persue an appeal was 99% the route he would go.

I think he’s only going to get more rope to hang himself personally, but is dogshit for victims and their families but I hope more folk come forward and accuse him,I think there will be.

He’s a serial sex predator!!

A lot of cases are appealed only to be abandoned further down the line.In this case I hope that his refusal to accept the judgement will backfire tremendously and further help the case of the victims.If nothing else, it keeps the story in the public domaine and that will mean further pain for some.

Back