Torbett appeals sentence and conviction (bbc)

Celtic Boys Club founder Jim Torbett is to appeal his conviction for sexually abusing young players.

Torbett was jailed for six years earlier this month after a judge said he had used the football team as a "recruiting ground" to prey on boys.

Two victims had been in his under-14s football teams, while the third was abused by Torbett at the age of five.

The 71-year-old, from Kelvindale, Glasgow, was found guilty of five abuse charges between 1986 and 1994.

He had denied the charges during a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

The judiciary office in Edinburgh has confirmed his lawyers have lodged an appeal against both conviction and sentence.

No further court date has been set.

For what it is worth, Celtic Football Club were and still are the main sponsers of the Glasgow Taxi Outing for disabled and handicapped children. The outing take the children to Troon every year during the summer and they have a great time , no matter what the weather, but here is the “crunch” Torbetts trophy company supplied all the prizes(little trophies) to the kids who won best fancy dress and best dressed taxi of the day, now that is what you might call a captive audience.

What a terrible thought, Celtic football club, disabled and handicapped children and
Torbett all together in the same place at the same time, COINCIDES ?? What do you think.

I wonder if CFC will be their sponsors in 2019.

This is just to prolong things .... if he dies before the appeal.... what happens?
vy9opx.jpg

For what it is worth, Celtic Football Club were and still are the main sponsers of the Glasgow Taxi Outing for disabled and handicapped children. The outing take the children to Troon every year during the summer and they have a great time , no matter what the weather, but here is the “crunch” Torbetts trophy company supplied all the prizes(little trophies) to the kids who won best fancy dress and best dressed taxi of the day, now that is what you might call a captive audience.

What a terrible thought, Celtic football club, disabled and handicapped children and
Torbett all together in the same place at the same time, COINCIDES ?? What do you think.

What do we know about Stephen Flynn, Glasgow Taxis Director?

5181365.png

What in fuçks name is wrong with this country?

Not one football fans forum is up in arms against this.

Not one politician has expressed horror at this.

Not one paper will print the truth.

And this video has a total of 14 views:

Now if it mentioned The Rangers and HMRC, goodness me, the views and stories and comments and judgements and clamours for punishment would be reigning down for weeks.

The solicitor representing the poor victims has previous dealings with celtc in another tragic case. What was the outcome here? Out of court settlement perhaps?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....action-from-tragic-fan-s-family-1-8241488/amp

It's really sad that the only football forum in the land talking about this horrific catalogue of crimes is this one. Our own wee echo chamber.

The bulge under the fhilthy carpet is set to remain undisturbed I fear. :(

What in fuçks name is wrong with this country?

Not one football fans forum is up in arms against this.

Not one politician has expressed horror at this.

Not one paper will print the truth.

And this video has a total of 14 views:

Now if it mentioned The Rangers and HMRC, goodness me, the views and stories and comments and judgements and clamours for punishment would be reigning down for weeks.
It should have 15 now.
This Maguire chap clearly highlights just how callous and reprehensible is the reaction to decades of child abuse which they knowingly facillitated.

as someone who suffered for 7 years at the hands of a beast like torbett (although not torbett) from the age of 10, im genuinely sickened

Not one thought for all he abused.

No apology from Celtic

No apology to his victims who he gave a life sentence to.

Nothing from the SNP who were so quick to give neil lennon gushing praise a few weeks ago

No comment from any politician

No apology from Torbett

Im on tablets daily to stop flashbacks and ptsd.

Yet he still has the brass neck to appeal his sentence.

I wonder how many ended their life because of the horrors he caused them

He got 6 measly years

His victims got a life sentence.

as someone who suffered for 7 years at the hands of a beast like torbett (although not torbett) from the age of 10, im genuinely sickened

No apology from Celtic

Nothing from the SNP who were so quick to give neil lennon gushing praise a few weeks ago

No apology from Torbett

He got 6 measly years

It harrows me to read the post of someone like yourself who has been a victim to such atrocities. I can only hope for your sake and others that those you've mentioned above are finally made to be held to account and pay for their part in it. What they have done cannot be undone, but there is still the chance for victims to receive some kind of justice.

Genuinely sorry to hear that @krisboyd your bravery and strength is a lesson to us all.

Cars. Houses. Money does not change what happened as stated by his victim on the video.

As you say - no apology to his victims who this monster gave a life sentence to - despite countless opportunities to do so - they choose to disassociate themselves.

Entirely separate organisation?

Nothing to do with us? Yet they knew of the abuse and done nothing.

Different legal entity? Yet they covered up the abuse for over 3 decades.

The original depravity truly makes my skin crawl however the continued denial makes my blood boil.

I hope the victims are emboldened by the likes of yourself KB and the brave Michelle.

Stay strong. Never Surrender.

If he's appealing it I wonder if he's offering something up like other names of like minded scumbags who committed these disgusting crimes with him the whole thing is vile

Followed the link on Twitter ref Fairbridge Scotland.
20.02.1997 Lord McClusmey resigned as a director on the same day that a James Torbett also resigned.
Just been reading about this Fairbridge connection, do you mean Lord McCluskey mate ?

https://themanthebheastscanttame.wo...ic-sex-abuse-case-lord-john-mccluskey-part-1/

McCluskey also defended Fairbairn and Henderson from allegations by Henderson's daughter.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...es-shock-over-qc-paedophile-ring-allegations/

Last edited:
Just been reading about this Fairbridge connection, do you mean Lord McCluskey mate ?

https://themanthebheastscanttame.wo...ic-sex-abuse-case-lord-john-mccluskey-part-1/

McCluskey also defended Fairbairn and Henderson from allegations by Henderson's daughter.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news...es-shock-over-qc-paedophile-ring-allegations/
Wasn’t aware of these articles.One could be forgiven for thinking the authorities want to/need to keep the lid on this.I support an earlier suggestion that crowdfunding is the way forward and a means of getting at the truth.

Yeah, sorry never noticed the typo.
Looks like the eminent Lore McCluskey chap is up to his neck in this too.
This behaviour is reaching epidemic proportions throughout the West of Scotland RC community, it appears that they are either abused or abusers.

Followed the link on Twitter ref Fairbridge Scotland.
20.02.1997 Lord McCluskey resigned as a director on the same day that a James Torbett also resigned.

Celtic Directors along with Lord McCluskey wrote letters of testimony on Torbett's behalf to Sheriff Gimblett pleading for leniency.

This sums up completely their sheer and utter contempt for his victims.

Theee is a part of me that thinks that there is influence from the SNP in the decision to appeal this sentence.

Trying to silence Michelle Gray ?

Think that's nonsense to be honest mate.

Celtic and the SNP just want Torbett to die. The last thing they want is him appealing and dragging this on.

One other thing, Michelle Gray won't be silenced by anyone.

Last edited:
It should have 15 now.
This Maguire chap clearly highlights just how callous and reprehensible is the reaction to decades of child abuse which they knowingly facillitated.

You can almost sense McGuire's anger in that interview.

He couldn't make things any clearer to Celtic...................come to the table or we'll see you in court.

I reckon he knows he's got them by the balls.

You can almost sense McGuire's anger in that interview.

He couldn't make things any clearer to Celtic...................come to the table or we'll see you in court.

I reckon he knows he's got them by the balls.
And as a trained lawyer so he should.Let's face it anybody with any intelligence at all should be capable of joining the dots together.To any sensible person there can only be one conclusion.

I have a friend who's young brother was involved with cbc. He was a great prospect went down to Arsenal for trials. He always wanted to play for celtic never made it and lost interest. This was in the early seventies he was being coached by Torbett probably another kid that was harmed. The amount of kids that passed through cbc must have been thousands how many were abused who knows. Saville was up on numerous occasions were these kids passed about. All we can hope for is this person gets a longer sentence.

I have a friend who's young brother was involved with cbc. He was a great prospect went down to Arsenal for trials. He always wanted to play for celtic never made it and lost interest. This was in the early seventies he was being coached by Torbett probably another kid that was harmed. The amount of kids that passed through cbc must have been thousands how many were abused who knows. Saville was up on numerous occasions were these kids passed about. All we can hope for is this person gets a longer sentence.
JS was'nt simply up here fundraising when meeting with the celtc bosses. i still can't quite believe no reporter has picked up on these allegations.kinda tells you all you need to know.

This shit runs so deep and thus far, it feels like only the tip of the iceberg has emerged.

A lot of people have their motives mixed up when it comes to this.

Many people moaning because nobody else is talking about it, papers aren’t calling out celtic, celtic aren’t being hammered.

Yet nobody is really talking about the victims and their justice.

Some people are oddly fixated on celtic and this. It’s a bit fucked up, mass hysteria DAILY from the same users wanting the papes to go bust over this. It’s wrong and sordid.

I know someone who has suffered abuse at the hands of disgusting old man. I can promise you the papes going out of business is probably at the bottom of torbetts victims thoughts. This beast needs a harsher punishment.

The man deserves longer than the shoddy sentence given. With the appeal I really hope this is extended for the sake of the victims because that is no time to be serving for the crime.

It was previously reported that he was a former chairman of celtic boys club. But since its now transpired that they had nothing to do with celtic this has been redacted from history.

A lot of people have their motives mixed up when it comes to this.

Many people moaning because nobody else is talking about it, papers aren’t calling out celtic, celtic aren’t being hammered.

Yet nobody is really talking about the victims and their justice.

Some people are oddly fixated on celtic and this. It’s a bit fucked up, mass hysteria DAILY from the same users wanting the papes to go bust over this. It’s wrong and sordid.

I know someone who has suffered abuse at the hands of disgusting old man. I can promise you the papes going out of business is probably at the bottom of torbetts victims thoughts. This beast needs a harsher punishment.

The man deserves longer than the shoddy sentence given. With the appeal I really hope this is extended for the sake of the victims because that is no time to be serving for the crime.

I would suggest it's you who has your motives mixed up on this.
There's been plenty of sympathy shown to the victims on this forum. Just because our fans are absolutely outraged that their filthy club continually stay out of the firing line on this matter, does not show that they're unsympathetic to the victims.
Relating to your point, which I've highlighted in bold.....just say the victims finally get a voice and get the closure and compensation payments that they rightly deserve...and then let's say, that this encourages more, if not all of, the victims to come forward. If this meant a bill that sunk their club....would you consider this "wrong and sordid"?
There's a lot wrong and sordid with this whole situation. Our fans calling out that disgusting club is not

No apology from Celtic

No apology from Torbett

He got 6 measly years

Genuinely distressing to read about your experiences, krisboyd.

I have nothing but admiration for people like you who have suffered so badly at a time when naivety and innocence should have been your allies.

The courage that people like you show on coming forward is extraordinary, although I hope you’re becoming much more aware of the fact that the general public have nothing but sympathy and admiration for all those whose childhoods were so cruelly corrupted.

I wish you and all the survivors nothing but the best, irrespective of which club they support or who caused them harm.

Genuinely, thank you for sharing this with us. It really brings these issues very much to life when you begin to discuss them with individuals who really do know what’s needed to address these issues.

It's being reported that one of the charges against King happened at Barrowfield training ground...

https://twitter.com/pzj_1873/status/1067152339449057286?s=21

Torbett was also charged with offences that took place at Barrowfield. Those took place under the care of Celtic Boys Club (separate entity).

Imagine the co-incidence that King's crimes took place in the exact same place - what could it be that draws a school kid to visit a training ground god only knows? No danger it would be related to the team that used the ground daily.

Next thing we will hear that Cullen and Cairney committed crimes in the same place.

If only there was a link to these crimes then there would be a massive story here.:(

You wonder why there was the urgency to rename the training ground and also for the compliant media to keep referring to its new name when it clearly had a different name in the past.

You wonder why there was the urgency to rename the training ground and also for the compliant media to keep referring to its new name when it clearly had a different name in the past.

They've even covered their tracks on Wikipedia FFS!

This lot are unbelievable.

Every single angle has been covered to ensure they never face up to their accusers. The poor victims are powerless here. They need public support because what we are seeing is Stalinism in the extreme:

There is no murder in paradise.

I suspect there’s more news to come out of this trial of the primary school teacher. The Celtic pr machine is in overdrive , look at the negative stories coming out, the agm, playing to the gallery, smoke screens appearing everywhere, watch this space.

No apology from Celtic

No apology from Torbett

He got 6 measly years

Im so sorry to hear your story, I think your an incredibly brave man to just be able to talk about things. I won't say I know how you must feel because I don't but my heart genuinely goes out to you.
peace & love man!

Back