Transfer Talk: Rangers return on the cards for Scotland ace Billy

In fairness, those windows have seen us recruit Hagi, Bassey, Lundstram, Roofe, Wright, McLaughlin, Balogun and Defoe. They've also broken even in that time.
They've obviously been shopping in the bargain basement, and had some failures too, which is natural. Their failings have been blown out of proportion.
You can take Hagi and Defoe off your list. They joined long ago. Bassey was a youth who has been very well developed and at a far greater pace than was hoped for. He wasn’t signed as a starter.

Balogun, Wright and McLaughlin are back-ups. Wright isn’t at the level required for me.

Only Lundstram has been signed as a starter and proven to be so.

Roofe was signed as an injury prone player and remains so.

He’s got the skills & attitude to develop into a Steven Davis Greig.

I just can’t get my head around how we could get him long term financially.
My thoughts as well @Grigo Yossarian .
It may well depend on a few things.
Will Tuchel offer Billy a new deal since his contract ends next season ?
Or will Chelsea sell this summer if they don't see a long term future for Billy ?
Would Billy be happy to come back knowing that he would be a 1st team regular pick ?
Would Billy be happy enough with the deal we could offer him, especially after how much we made in our European run this season ?
A lot of it's and but's but if we could get Billy on a permanent deal in the summer then I would welcome that.

I'd love Billy to sign for us as I think Gio would be a huge influence in making him a better player.
Unfortunately I think Billy's current stock is high enough that a top level English club will sign him.
We can't match them in wages.

I'm a fully paid up member of the Billy Gilmour fan club. Norwich had no idea how to use him but Scotland always get the best out of him. He plays with his head up and always wants the ball and plays a positive pass.

Alex Lowry is the same.

To have both of them in our side would be great. If we keep Lundstrum and Jack thats a very good midfield.

Sorry, not for me. Let Lowry, McCann and others get their chance first. They have stood by the club unlike Gilmour, who to me hasn't really shown much after an initial promising start.
McCann stood by the Club? He only joined from Man Utd last Summer.:) I like him and he has a chance of a decent future but that’s taking it too far.

Fair point on Lowry mind, albeit a completely different kind of player to Gilmour.

Last edited:
See us linked with Kipre of West Brom today

Can’t mind where some online crap source
Hasn’t been a regular for WBA since about January. Seems to have cut out the endless red cards though and has a bit of pace about him.

Not sure he’s good enough based on his Motherwell form but I haven’t seen much of him since he left.

He's out of contract next season (as a poster on the thread mentioned) and we could get him for nothing next season. So I'd loan him then see how he does. If it goes well sign him. And he's more of a defensive mid so won't stop a path way for Lowry or McCann who are more attacking.
If he doesn't sign a new deal he won't be loaned Chelsea will sell first he's at age they all get benefit from under 24 de elopement fee

Once again, the usual mindless garbage being spouted about developing other club's players and only wanting him if it's a permanent deal. You are aware that loans benefit both clubs? Chelsea get one of their huge number of prospects out playing regular first team football, and we get a talented player potentially with a large chunk of his wages paid by his parent club, thereby meaning we save money that can go elsewhere in the squad.

Additionally, even more of a benefit is if we got him on a loan with him able to join us on a free at the end of next season.

To be honest I've only really seen him for Scotland and he's impressed me then, but heard he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire at Norwich, but then they're absolutely shite and play different football to us. I'd definitely take him on a loan and then we'd have Lundstram, Jack and Gilmour able to play DM, as I reckon Davis will go and Gio obviously doesn't fancy Kamara as a holding midfielder. With Jack's inability to stay consistently fit we absolutely need a player like Gilmour in there.

We'd be mental to turn down Gilmour on loan for the season. Battling it out every week at 20 years old for the worst team in the EPL in Norwich didn't suit him. Running the show for us at 21 would suit him much better and see his game (and value) improve vastly. I'm not keen on loan deals either, but if Davis retires, Kamara is sold, Jack quite injury prone etc, Gilmour could come in and immediately provide a quality option and give us 40-50 games in the middle of the park, at a time where he has something to prove and at an age where he'll be improving all the time.

If he's out of contract next summer, a successful and enjoyable season on loan with us would give us a decent chance of signing him permanently - on a free! Even if the wages are at the very top end of our budget, he'd be valued far higher than the cost of any contract.

A good season on loan, then another under contract with us might cost £4-6m overall, but then we have a 23 year old midfielder with 150-200 games under his belt (including 20-30 International caps which could even include the World Cup, Champions League with Chelsea and hopefully us, EPL experience etc) - we'd easily make £10m profit on our investment, or more likely, much more than that.

McCann stood by the Club? He only joined from Man Utd last Summer.:) I like him and he has a chance of a decent future but that’s taking it too far.

Fair point on Lowry mind, albeit a completely different kind of player to Gilmour.
Yes, concede the point on McCann about only being a recent arrival, however, he left Man Utd to come to us

its a no brainer if its an option. gilmour has so much quality , and he needs to play games too. makes sense.

sometimes i feel we dont keep the ball well enough in certain games, he'd sort that.

Get him signed. Even if it’s a loan it’s very low risk as we know how good a player he is. He will hit the ground running up here and be a key player in no time. Very much a ready made replacement for Davis and would fit nicely in midfield alongside Lundstram, Jack etc. Hopefully Lowry can come in and cement his place next season too.

The whole "chose to leave" thing is f*cking hilarious TBH given how pivotal the likes of McGregor and Davis have been for us the last few seasons, and also how so many simply overlook their choice to leave etc and so on.

Always makes me laugh when fans expect players to make huge decisions based on the player being a supporter. Like it's not their actual job and career. Imagine we all got the same levels of scrutiny in our working life :))

Gilmour is at a critical point in his career now, without question he's a good player but he didn't win many admirers at Norwich so his next move needs to be the right one and I think we'd give him that. We'll lose a few players in the summer, Kamara, Davis and Aribo from the midfield so bringing in Gilmour and saving the transfer fee to strengthen throughout the team makes sense

Hasn’t been a regular for WBA since about January. Seems to have cut out the endless red cards though and has a bit of pace about him.

Not sure he’s good enough based on his Motherwell form but I haven’t seen much of him since he left.
Ryan Jack would attack him as soon as he sets foot in the building and rightly so.

Why would Chelsea let him go on loan for a year then walk away on a free next year, when they could sell him now.
At the time of posting this, I didn't realize he would be out of contract next season. Was another poster who raised it.

He would be a brilliant long term successor to Steven Davis, a player that does the simple things right almost every time, keeps the ball moving, and sets the tempo of our play.

Will believe it when I see it, though, not so sure he wouldn't want to try to make it in EPL first.

I still see Jack and Lundstram as our key players in the CDM role
Jack isn't reliable enough tho and having other options helps us to rotate with Europe and league games.
So for that Mr Gilmour would be more than an able deputy.
Also hope Davis gets one more year too for his experiance.

Jack isn't reliable enough tho and having other options helps us to rotate with Europe and league games.
So for that Mr Gilmour would be more than an able deputy.
Also hope Davis gets one more year too for his experiance.
I still think Jack, with a preseason under his belt, can do the job required. I don't see Gilmour wanting to be a deputy to anyone.

This seems to be a common opinion. I don't really understand it. If we loan him, are we going to have an option to buy him in January only?
Surely it would make sense to just get him to sign the pre-contract then instead.
Not sure, is his contract up in 2023?

Fills the homegrown quota for Europe and he could be a mainstay for several years.
Don't think he does. Left us at 16 so although he was with our youth system for years they don't count. Sure it's time spent between 16 and 21. Which was all at Chelsea.

Would love this to happen , but no one has a clue what Chelsea want for the boy , if he is loyal to Chelsea signs new deal then forget it . I would use good chunk whatever we can get for Kamara .

Would be a great move for all parties - he’s not getting in that Chelsea team after that Norwich move and probably doesn’t get another Premier League loan for the same reason.

Think we need to repeat, there's no way Chelsea will loan the guy out if he has 1 year left in his contract and allow him to leave for free next season. That's just not happening.

So from his and Chelsea's point of view, 3 options,
1. He signs a new deal and stays & fights for his place
2. He signs a new deal and gets loaned out,
3. They sell him.

I think he's going to struggle to get in the Chelsea team. They have Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho, Loftus Cheek & Mount. Dont think they will sign Saul permanently.

They have Gallagher coming back from loan, & I think they'll target a top midfielder in the summer.

One thing Chelsea have been doing with young guys such as Livramento, Guehi, Tammy Abraham is selling them for reasonable fees but putting a buyback option in. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like this with Gilmour.

Id imagine Frank Lampard will be interested now that Everton are staying up
Think the last thing Gilmour wants is more relegation fodder . Especially playing for a team whose fans celebrate finishing 20th like they had won the Champions league.

Back