"We're the best team in the league" - Cyriel Dessers Gets the Battle Fever On

We are a good team, says our player.

Naw we're no, how dare you say that, just stop trying - some of our supporters for some reason

Weirdos

We know when we are playing decent free flowing football. The kind of football you blow the opponent away in the first 20 minutes and are comfortable the rest of the game. That scenario is repeated game after game after game.

When was the last time you can remember us playing like that?

We know when we are playing decent free flowing football. The kind of football you blow the opponent away in the first 20 minutes and are comfortable the rest of the game. That scenario is repeated game after game after game.

When was the last time you can remember us playing like that?

Do you mean consistently? Then I will say when we had players that were actually top class, so you probably have to go back to the likes of De Boer, Albertz, Mols etc.

We play in the Scottish League and the standard is terrible, you really can't expect the type of players we have now to play free flowing football every game. We are a team of journeymen and English Championship players at best at this point.

At this level, a bit of confidence can be the difference so I see no actual benefit in talking the players down when they are on a wee bit of a high. We have no choice but to work with what we have at this point so lets just get behind them while we are still in with a chance.

O’Riley is a midfielder and a far better player than Dessers. I don’t see your point at all.

In any case it’s not the goals he’s scored that’s the problem it’s the ones he’s missed.

If you want to make excuses for him and daft comparisons then that’s up to you. He’s never good enough for us.
Can you remember back when we signed Super.............................just as well he never listened to our songs.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen Tavs quote about mentality this last week used as a stick to beat him.

It seems we have a sizeable number in our support who just live for the anger.
‘Live for the anger’ is a very accurate way to put it. There are so many who seem disappointed and frustrated with life in general and who love to vent their frustrations at our team.

Sterling " we don't have belief" well said big man etc

Dessers " we believe we are the best team in the league" idiot etc

What one is it
I could be wrong but did Sterling not say that he didn’t know if they had belief instead of ‘We don’t have belief’ ?

It was a silly thing to say especially when we’re 3 pts behind . He should have just said we believe we have a great chance of winning the league and we’ll be going all out to do so,
He’s just giving them ammunition, stupid
You dont win the league, if you dont believe you are the best team in the league, which based on form since Clemets arrival, we still are.

Well we've got 6 games of the season left to go out and prove that then - let's see if they're up to the challenge. Hearts suggested perhaps we are, but the week prior doesn't give much confidence.

It was a silly thing to say especially when we’re 3 pts behind . He should have just said we believe we have a great chance of winning the league and we’ll be going all out to do so,
He’s just giving them ammunition, stupid
Not just ammunition but motivation.

How often do those muppets come out with the line, “Rangers did a lot of talking in the press before the game” after they’ve beat us again?

I admire him having confidence and by all means think it but the past couple of weeks has shown that is far from the case, get the head down and show it on the pitch between now and the end of the season.

We must have one of the worst squads ever for players coming out and doing all the big talk but failing to deliver

Tom English and Dick Gordon really were ripping into Cyriel for that comment. Shameless cloth eared bastards. They immediately chose to use his words to make mountain out of a molehill.

He was as far from boasting and spouting that we are the best team in the league as Tom Irish is to being a good journalist.

Obviously we've all seen statements like this bite teams on the arse but the fact the press is so keen to point this out is interesting.

Almost like they are desperate for it to happen .

I expected this, “we are this”, “we are that”, a team of world beaters after defeating a decent hearts side who let us run the midfield.

The best team in the league - wins the league. Albeit the officials have done their part in ensuring we can’t, we haven’t exactly helped ourselves since February.
Let’s not be like them and blame officials.

Our own performances under Beale and against Them, Ross County and Dundee most recently is what’s made it very difficult for us to win the league.

"If we can find that rhythm back, I think we're the best team in the league."

Is there really so much wrong with that? He's not outright saying we're the best team in the league.
There’s nothing wrong with what he said. Some people just want to find a fault in anything Rangers, even when it’s not there.

A bit like the scum support on Twitter…

You dont win the league, if you dont believe you are the best team in the league, which based on form since Clemets arrival, we still are.

The first part of your comment is fine, the 2nd part is a real stretch.

We're not the champions and after 3 attempts, we've been unable to beat the champions.

Unfortunately, as things stand, all the evidence suggests we are not the best team in the league.

Wish they would wrap this pish and beat the cunts at the piggery and Hampden.

Just setting himself up for the words biting him on the arse.

I understand the frustration that we need more action to back up the talk but the guys just trying to get everyone behind the team and to believe.

There is some weird behaviour from a few individuals on here. It's clear this place is full of fans of a certain other team.

Funny how a lot of people slaughtering him for stating his opinion if we play at our best and find rhythm then we are the best team in the league. In fairness, other that the last few games we have been. I don’t believe there’s been much from our team in terms of these statements since PC came in.

Also, we have half our support singing “f**k you Celtic, we’re going to win the league!” No doubt the same ones who are having a dig at dessers.
I’ve never sung that once actually shook my head when it was sung when we went top of the league. I’d rather dessers didn’t come out with stuff like he’s said is he right or wrong time will tell.

Let’s not be like them and blame officials.

Our own performances under Beale and against Them, Ross County and Dundee most recently is what’s made it very difficult for us to win the league.
The officials have this season alone:
1- wrongly chopped off goal in first old firm this season.
2- wrongly chopped off goal against 3rd old firm this season.
3- bizarre decision making for “that” hand ball against them in the second old firm this season.
4- booked Silva for diving, VAR intervened, booking rescinded but no second yellow for their player.

These are major game changing decisions, yes OK we were dire against Motherwell, County, and Dundee, but those decisions - all wrong - influenced the outcome of the game. Their game at the weekend it couldn’t have been anymore obvious.

FFS man. I think a MOM and 2 goals is enough for 1 game
One game? Deary me that game got us to a final it didn’t win us one. For me talk is cheap do the talking on the pitch win trophies then by all means tell the world we are the best. until then though I’d rather he didn’t say what he’s said it could come back to bite him.

Those going on about Celtic being able to use his quotes to fire them up and how he should shut up

Didn’t seem to work for us when McGregor was caught after an OF game pointing out how easy we were to beat or indeed Rodger’s openly bragging about seeing off yet another Rangers manager

Maybe just us though

I wish at times our players wouldn't talk too the media, I know somethings are taken out of context but just get on with playing football, and do our talking on the pitch!!!

3- bizarre decision making for “that” hand ball against them in the second old firm this season.
4- booked Silva for diving, VAR intervened, booking rescinded but no second yellow for their player.

These are major game changing decisions, yes OK we were dire against Motherwell, County, and Dundee, but those decisions - all wrong - influenced the outcome of the game. Their game at the weekend it couldn’t have been anymore obvious.
Exactly! We arent asking for anything other than the rules of the game being applied in a fair manner by Refs but that as you have detailed isnt happening and that gives them an unfair advantage.

If our performance was up to standard we wouldn't need to be talking about that though.

For what it is worth the officiating has been shocking throughout the season.

Obviously first and foremost, delighted to get the win and for Desser's grabbing his brace.

We can still win a treble, we'd all lap it up, celebrate, be happy for the squad, but it won't change the fact that there needs to be a cull in the summer.

Tom English and Dick Gordon really were ripping into Cyriel for that comment. Shameless cloth eared bastards. They immediately chose to use his words to make mountain out of a molehill.

He was as far from boasting and spouting that we are the best team in the league as Tom Irish is to being a good journalist.
I bet they have never once ripped in to the tramps when year after year they boast and brag about how well they will do in Europe and that always ends in total failure for them!

Last edited:
One game? Deary me that game got us to a final it didn’t win us one. For me talk is cheap do the talking on the pitch win trophies then by all means tell the world we are the best. until then though I’d rather he didn’t say what he’s said it could come back to bite him.
Don't think he said best team in world mate ,he said we were best team in the league , best defence record yet our defence get slated. Now cos players are saying what they feel (Dessers ,Sterling) they are getting it. .
Seriously can't wait until this treble is won and log in to FF to see what the panty weters are saying

I'd rather he just stayed quiet, giving we took 1 point from both Ross County & Dundee. I don't mind the confidence though and he at least still fancies our chances unlike the surrender monkeys on here.

Don't think he said best team in world mate ,he said we were best team in the league , best defence record yet our defence get slated. Now cos players are saying what they feel (Dessers ,Sterling) they are getting it. .
Seriously can't wait until this treble is won and log in to FF to see what the panty weters are saying
Sterling was bang on in what he said dessers remains to be seen. I hope you are right about the treble.

Back