What's an appropriate assessment of Beale?

Often forgotten this is his first season as a manager, let alone a Rangers Manager. He was the gamble the board took, imo, in the hope he'd get that extra 30-40% out of the squad that evaporated since we won 55.

He needs the summer to rebuild but my concern is how much he'll be backed. We're about £15m and 5 starters away from where we need to be and that's before we invest further in the playing squad as a whole.

What he's done so far is probably around a 7 out of 10. The cup final team selection was a big and costly error from him. Otherwise, the rest of the costly errors have been from the usual suspects on the pitch. I'll exempt Souttar from that actually and hope his was a one-off because he's looked alright otherwise.

He needs a transfer budget well into 8-figures in the summer to rebuild - yes rebuild, not "refresh" - the squad.

He also needs to reign it in a wee bit in front of the media. Says a bit too much, sometimes about things he hasn't even been asked about; and it gets used against him.

Done the basics in winning the majority of the games against the dross but he has failed in the big games that have mattered think he has done what we can with the squad.

Our shape and tactics around this possession based style of play is concerning though.

Yes he needs the summer window to stamp his mark on the squad but this is a massive rebuild that will take several windows possibly 2/3 to overhaul things.

And lastly if he blindly goes into next season thinking 4/5 signings will turn us into winners again then he will be out of a job by Christmas imo again we need a complete rebuild.
A complete rebuild will take a few windows, like it did Gerrard. Beale won’t get the same time. He’ll be out .

Once he has players he wants and not this mob of perpetual losers he can be judged then. If I was Beale be lucky to keep 6-7 of the whole squad. Absolutely honking.

Beale is or has fallen into the same trap of playing players known for the same failures and expecting a different outcome.
This is what worries me. He has convinced himself that he can get a tune out of the likes of Kent, Kamara, Lundstram, Barisic etc and will persist with them rather than admitting they are done.

If he doesn't gut the squad this summer it will cost him his job, I'm not confident he has it in him.

Like mentioned on the other thread, his reasoning for giving Kent a contract sounded like 'He gives me everything and I've known Ryan 10 years' rather than him being good enough for a title winning side.

People need to accept that he’s up against a very good Celtic side which has had the most investment of any Scottish side in history, even Advocaat’s Rangers.

After that, you then have to factor in what you believe is the absolute ceiling is for this group of players. It needs refreshed but he’s got about as much of a tune out of them as you could imagine and even though we’ve lost the last couple of Old Firms, you have to view the game in the context of the situation.

We lost the games purely because they have more quality than us. Doesn’t hurt any less when it happens but I think it’s beyond stupid to start questioning whether he’s up to the job on the basis of what we’ve seen.

We had written this season off before Beale was appointed. He was brought in to stabilise results, which in the main, he has done. He will be rebuilding the squad over the Summer and pre season. He will be judged then about European Qualification and the first quarter of the season.

Does the cup semi against Aberdeen not count as a big test?

Or does that not fit the narrative?
Let’s be honest, the games that count are the ones against the scum. At the end of the day, beating Aberdeen in a cup semi is something be kinda expect.

It’s the games against the filth that matter, in any scenario, and that’s where he’s failed for me. Regardless of how well we might have played or what’s gone against us, any defeat emboldens them and makes them think we are fully inferior to them so that’s the big tests for me.

Don’t get me wrong, his record against the dross has been decent without being earth shattering. He’s only slightly getting a tune out of some players but let’s be honest here, the performances have been howling bar one or two decent ones.

If he signs his own guys and the performances don’t step up next season? We all know what’s going to happen and he won’t be in the job for much longer but he’s got a chance here to prove himself and prove he’s a good manager that can have success here, because that’s all that matters at the end of the day, success for Rangers Football Club.

Well he had 100% record until yesterday against the rest of the league
Despite losing at Parkhead, very competitive and should've gotten something.
Should've beaten them in January

That is miles away from where we were under GVB. So I'm surprised he's been able to even get that out of this group.

Until this group is dismantled, I won't have much criticism for him.

Correct!

Gio had 2.25 points per game and with the same declining team Beale has increased that to 2.53.

He needs approval and money

Personally think this season should be written off in terms of judgement and a clean slate in summer.
We can’t just right off part of the season, he has had a lot of games in charge and needs to be judged on those. Sure the players are letting him down as they did with the managers before him but he hasn’t shown anything in terms of what he is trying to achieve. I know it’s early into his tenure but I must say I’m not filled with confidence

Well he had 100% record until yesterday against the rest of the league
Despite losing at Parkhead, very competitive and should've gotten something.
Should've beaten them in January

That is miles away from where we were under GVB. So I'm surprised he's been able to even get that out of this group.

Until this group is dismantled, I won't have much criticism for him.

100% agree. We were all told its not Gio's results but what we're seeing that's concerning. Apart from the Cup Final I haven't once been concerned at what we're seeing under Beale.

I’m definitely questioning a guy that has failed every major test asked of him and presides over a group of unmotivated / uninspired players for nearly 5 months now.

I've been his biggest fan, he needs to open his eyes now and see this ain't working with this squad.

He’s basically said that in every press conference since he was appointed, has he not?

Feels a bit odd that people are getting on his case about the squad when he’s already said it’ll be rebuilt.

As has been said over and over, he has to get a good backing in the summer and the chance to assemble his own squad.

The team he has now (outwith the newest acquisitions, is one that was past its best and has been very poorly bolstered since. Key players for us in our very limited successes were moved on and not replaced with anything close to the same quality, while others are just far too long in the tooth and aren't cutting it anymore (if they ever truly did outside of a couple of anomalies).

Meantime, he's working with what he's got. That squad, also riddled with injuries, so properly judging him is a pointless endeavour now.

As with any manager at Ibrox, he won;t get long though before he's feeling the heat if he doesn't hit the ground running next season.

I think Beale is going to struggle big time next season if he's not allowed to take a wrecking ball to that squad.

We can only hope he is given the funds and backing required to do just that. Retaining the bulk of that squad should not be an option, or he'll find himself out the door within months.

I also think he needs to dispense with the nice guy persona - for example coming out and backing the match officials, who have been absolutely deplorable & are reffing us to a different standard IMO, he needs to be highlighting their inconsistency, rather than giving them the okay to continue as they are.

He also needs to get ruthless - he has often highlighted the relationship he has built up with the likes of Ryan Kent over the years throughout the players career - that's no use to us if the player isn't delivering the goods.

For me, Beale needs to toughen up and fast, because he's going to be put under immense pressure from the off next season.

Last edited:
This is what worries me. He has convinced himself that he can get a tune out of the likes of Kent, Kamara, Lundstram, Barisic etc and will persist with them rather than admitting they are done.

If he doesn't gut the squad this summer it will cost him his job, I'm not confident he has it in him.

Like mentioned on the other thread, his reasoning for giving Kent a contract sounded like 'He gives me everything and I've known Ryan 10 years' rather than him being good enough for a title winning side.
A cringeworthy interview but it's no surprise and we all know he has a soft spot for certain players this was another concern when he was appointed manager but he has the summer to address those issues and be fucking ruthless and show players like Kent, Kamara etc the door.

needs to be backed with funds in the summer to create his own team, hopefully we can get rid of ones who don't have the mentality to do the job week in, week out up here

apart from cups where he's 0-1, can't really judge on a manager who simply was stuck into a unwinnable situation (the league I mean) by the last manager and the players who are still involved in the team. I do want to see signs he's learning from the last two matches against them though, he will know where he went wrong in the cup final

Between a rock and a hard place at the moment, to be honest. In a lot of positions he's left selecting between players who used to be good but are now shite, players who've always been shite or players with injuries. It's a ridiculously difficult situation to manage.

Case in point; it's lose/lose when selecting a striker — we know Morelos is away, we know he's not interested, we know he isn't good enough, but we know we've got fuck all else.

Realistically though, all context goes out the window for a lot of the support if we continue to fail to beat that mob whether it's Beale's fault or not. He could really be doing with pulling something out the bag against them, even if it's just to give him a bit of breathing room that I think he deserves.

For me, it's all a bit pointless debating his subs and other small concerns at the moment — a bit like giving a guy a glass of water to put out a house-fire and chastising him for using still instead of sparkling.

His Report Card would read “promising start but needs to more time to establish his own team. Has a tendency to speak a lot. Has to careful there or it could bite him in the arse”

Some red flags for me but needs backed in the summer.

He must know that the level of effort is shite

Bar raskin and cantwell I can’t honestly say if a player was to leave I’d miss him. Maybe goldson

Anyone that thinks a manager can be judged in less than 5 months and 1 January transfer window is utterly clueless on how football works.
Really? Despite the fact managers come into jobs and instantly make impressions.

I guess the top football executives across the world should take a leaf out of your book and arbitrarily hold off until ‘he’s had enough time to be judged’ etc. by which time everyone with a functioning set of eyes could have told you the outcome.

The problem is and always will be he will be compared to the last guy in the job, and on paper (whether people want to admit it or not) Gio had a very good record.

Whoever came in was going to be eventually judged on if the could win us a cup as gio did it, if he could reduce the deficit at the top and next season which Gio did not do and if we can qualify for the CL, that's before you factor in the EL run last year.

Lots of people were all in with him, me personally I wanted an experienced manager with a track record we could at least look at for hope. And that is another issue for him, there's nothing anyone can look at previously and say he's done this or that to have hope he does the same here.

It was a huge gamble which after winning 55 and reaching the EL final wasn't required imo.

He's got the Scottish cup to start making a name for himself, if he fails it's an uphill struggle.

Time and money needed. I'm hopeful that he will succeed but he needs to get it right sooner rather than later. Got to get something out of this current crop of bottlers next week and then he needs backing to get a hard-core group of winners and backbone into this team.

Will be judged properly after the summer when he has had the chance to revamp the squad.

I'm amazed he's got this much out this group of losers tbh.
He was talking of keeping all but two of the team that started vs st mirren and of adding up to 5 .

Hopefully he can see the team needs gutted . If he continues to put his faith in this squad it will cost him his job imo

Really? Despite the fact managers come into jobs and instantly make impressions.

I guess the top football executives across the world should take a leaf out of your book and arbitrarily hold off until ‘he’s had enough time to be judged’ etc. by which time everyone with a functioning set of eyes could have told you the outcome.

You mean like Michael Beale?

There’s been an improvement in results generally over what we were getting under GVB.
Big concern is that he’s failed to beat them in 3 attempts now & yesterday was a chance to salvage a bit of pride & get a psychological boost ahead of next week by closing the gap to them. Yet again this squad of serial shitebags bottled it.

The fear I had when we appointed Beale was that he’d stick by the players he knew from his previous time here and to an extent that’s been the case - League Cup final lineup showed that.
If he wants to be a successful Rangers manager he has to develop a ruthless streak when it comes to the squad and drop those that constantly borrow it or don’t perform to the required standards.
Could also learn to play things closer to his chest sometimes in media conferences.

Beale will be properly judged after he has his own team on the park as that is only fair. His increasingly contradictory comments however don’t do him any favours.

As always any Rangers Manager will not survive the inability to beat the rattlers and could very well bring the situation to a head a lot sooner.

You’re saying at the start “we’re all accepted he gets the summer”, but end it with “he has to beat them next week or talking about giving him the summer starts to sound like giving Pedro Caixinha the summer”. Which is it ?

It’s both.

As I said… he obviously gets the summer.

But if we go into that summer on the back of winning %^*&, perhaps not even beating them at Ibrox…if that came to pass do you really believe he’s going to turn it around ?

Or do you envisage, by the time the clocks go back it’s the same old story…we’re 4-7 points behind them and he falls on his sword

Some red flags for me but needs backed in the summer.

He must know that the level of effort is shite

Bar raskin and cantwell I can’t honestly say if a player was to leave I’d miss him. Maybe goldson
I'd say Tav as well but the problem for me is that both of them have that loser mentality over them, especially when it comes to the scum

that's not me saying Tav and Goldson haven't done a great job since coming here because of course they have but they have been part of too many losses to that lot which worries me

He's come in and took over one of the most unfit sides I've seen at Rangers.
Van Bronckhorst doesn't get anywhere near enough flak for this.
We were rudderless, had no style, we were quite frankly absolutely dreadful to watch.
If it weren't for the EL run last season I think many of us would've fell out of love with football (if that's what you can call Van Bronckhorst's style)
Beal has attempted to get us fitter to allow us to compete and I think its shown in the Old Firms since he came in that we are better equipped to take them on.
He's added 2 real quality players in Cantwell and Raskin.
Arguably he's a few dodgy decisions and brain farts from being right up Celtic's arse for the title.
He does need to improve his utilisation of subs IMO.
But I am far more optimistic going into next season (even after last night)
We have battled well with Celtic, we have an overhaul of the squad coming and a full pre season under someone who seems to have a clue of what a Rangers side needs.

As for the potential comparison's with Caixinha. He was a joke appointment and I think most sane folk knew he was a dud after a few games of bizarreness. It's still frankly embarrassing that he got the job never mind allowed to waste what? £10m bringing in Pena and co?

You mean like Michael Beale?
I genuinely don’t think he has made much of an impression. As said, the players have looked uninspired since he came in. Winning the majority of games against teams with a fraction of our budget doesn’t prove much when you fail the meaningful tests.

Kent is a major blindspot for him. He just will not see past him, including wanting to break the bank with a new deal.

What I will say, championship and league 1 players coming in won’t cut it with the fans
That's a strange take. We probably can't afford EPL players so you are basically saying we should only sign from overseas. Any restrictions on which level, or countries, from overseas?

Quite clearly we should be looking to sign the best we can afford - whatever their nationality, wherever they play and regardless of the league they currently play in.

I genuinely don’t think he has made much of an impression. As said, the players have looked uninspired since he came in. Winning the majority of games against teams with a fraction of our budget doesn’t prove much when you fail the meaningful tests.
You don’t think Beale made an impression after what he took over.

Absolute nonsense.

If he continues to ignore strength both physically and mentally in future recruits he will fail. They need tenacity an engine and a never say die mentality. No more shrinking violets.

We need a better balance with project players there has to be a core of players who bring the fight and passion, then place some flair players around that core.

A coach and no more. Got the job based off of a few months at QPR and a failed assistant at Villa. Brought in by the board as an easy option as he knew the players.

Also needs media trained or the mic took aff him. Just making an arse of himself either being a loud mouth at pressers or just contradicting himself.

Was getting results against the dross but let’s face it guys, we’re in a 2 horse league and we’ve not beat the other horse once under him.

That being said, Wilson’s recruitment hasn’t helped him either. I also think he’s going to get sold short this window as we’re already getting drip fed that the players will be here next season.

I think he really is a great coach btw, but he has a lot to learn manager wise. Wether we have the time to be his learning curve is a different story. We needed an experienced manager after gio got the bag and we didn’t get it. He needs to be ruthless in who he lets go next season. Wether he has the funds to replace them is a different story. I don’t envy him.

5/10 since he arrived considering he’s no beat they rats, lost a cup final and were worse off in the league than gio.

I think he is on a hiding to nothing.How he gets 4/5 starters for next season is beyond my thinking unless he gets a fair whack of cash.I don't think he'll get this money required.
I believe that his choices will be limited to out of contract players using the wages we will get for the players leaving.
I can't say I'm confident going forward.

The sooner this season ends, The better.

Beale can’t be judged from December - May with this current squad.

A clean slate as a few poster have suggested and we start our judgement next season when he builds his own team.

That's a strange take. We probably can't afford EPL players so you are basically saying we should only sign from overseas. Any restrictions on which level, or countries, from overseas?

Quite clearly we should be looking to sign the best we can afford - whatever their nationality, wherever they play and regardless of the league they currently play in.

It's the most overpriced market in Europe. Average players going for eyewatering money.

There's bargains to be had but it's a market we seem bizarrely fixated with.

He deserves the summer window before anything is decided. Hes done well racking up this many points with our poor squad, but even that's not been good enough to keep up.

Fat Ange should be moving on to better things soon , wether people want to admit it or not , that would be a great thing for us.

Back