What's an appropriate assessment of Beale?

If he continues to ignore strength both physically and mentally in future recruits he will fail. They need tenacity an engine and a never say die mentality. No more shrinking violets.

We need a better balance with project players there has to be a core of players who bring the fight and passion, then place some flair players around that core.

These things cost £££

Which at the moment we either just don't have or spunk it on some failed project or failed superstar

I genuinely don’t think he has made much of an impression. As said, the players have looked uninspired since he came in. Winning the majority of games against teams with a fraction of our budget doesn’t prove much when you fail the meaningful tests.

This is what I mean about you being clueless mate.

He won 16 of his first 17 games, drawing the other. Of his 21 games in charge the only game you could honestly turn round and say was a major disappointment was the Cup Final and a bad 45 mins yesterday.

To say he hasn't made an impression is just attention seeking stupidity.

That's a strange take. We probably can't afford EPL players so you are basically saying we should only sign from overseas. Any restrictions on which level, or countries, from overseas?

Quite clearly we should be looking to sign the best we can afford - whatever their nationality, wherever they play and regardless of the league they currently play in.
we aren't going to buy him but somebody like Akpom would rattle the SPL and he's in the Championship

it's a bit of a weird thing to say when you see players like Vardy and where he came from. Players in the English Championship can't score goals in the SPL? don't talk pish

It's the most overpriced market in Europe. Average players going for eyewatering money.

There's bargains to be had but it's a market we seem bizarrely fixated with.
I'm open to more at the level of Aribo and maybe even Cantwell.

As I said, the best we can afford - regardless of where they play - should always be our target. Why restrict ourselves by ruling out our neighbours?

There's not exactly been any evidence of the classic new manager bounce. In fact some of the play isn't far off the worst days of Gio.

I've yet to see any players improving under Beale. The question is is that Beale or the player or both?

Regardless of this it's very evident that we need to see a real cull and influx of new players.

McGregor
McLaughlin
Helander
Barisic
Jack
Kamara
Arfield
Morelos
Kent
Wright
Sakala
Roofe
Davis
Tillman could be away too.

I can't really see how or why any of these players could survive this summer, though I'd expect a couple to still be here.

The fact that Beale supposedly said that only McGregor and Morelos would be leaving is genuinely alarming. Surely it can't be true?

Too early to say, either way. Like it or not, next week will be some kind of solid indicator of whatever progress we have made since his arrival, and the summer will definitely be The key indicator of what he has about him in terms of being the right man for the job; as someone who keenly wanted him here in the first place, I really hope he succeeds. He needs backed, properly, in the summer, not just with a blueprint of signing potential talent, but in players playing at their peak as well; hopefully he gets that.

Some of the abuse in the away end yesterday was over the top but it tells you a lot of fans are unhappy at present.

I can remember the reaction after Partick and also the league cup final with fans pinning both abject performances at Beales feet.

I honestly think there’ll be loads more that turn on him if we fail to beat Celtic on Sunday. Rightly or wrongly Beale will get the blame for both cup competitions and he’ll be fighting a losing battle next season if we drop points early in the season

You don’t think Beale made an impression after what he took over.

Absolute nonsense.
5 months in, out the cup, two old firm defeats, looking likely to be papped out the other cup and players look flat as a pancake. Nope, I don’t.

There’s a difference between making a bit of an improvement and making the impression required.

I don’t think it can be understated just how bad a squad we have now. This isn’t the team that got to the EL final. That team had a prime Morelos (until he got injured) a prime Kent, Aribo and Bassey. Even Roofe was making decent contributions.

No wonder Beale doesn’t want to make substitutions. He’s looking at the bench and seeing Matondo and Hagi. He sees these players every day in training so imagining how bad they must be!

If we brought in Pep, Klopp or any other top manager to replace GVB the chances are we would be in exactly the same place as we are now.

This summer will be make or break for Beale. Almost every transfer will have to be a success, and that alone is a huge task because there are so many uncontrollable factors. Cantwell and Raskin at least show the type of player he wants, good on the ball with the ability to battle. That gives me confidence.

How to offload some of the deadwood is going to be a massive task.

This is what I mean about you being clueless mate.

He won 16 of his first 17 games, drawing the other. Of his 21 games in charge the only game you could honestly turn round and say was a major disappointment was the Cup Final and a bad 45 mins yesterday.

To say he hasn't made an impression is just attention seeking stupidity.
I said winning those games against murder doesn’t prove much, particularly in light of the failures against the actual tests.

Do coaches get to pick players a manager and DoF signs?
Beale has spoken about how he helped in signing the first time around, He spoke about how well he knows them.
Gerrard leaned on Beale a lot, Beale had a big input first time around

He basically had three targets when he came in that would give him the clean slate he needs for the start of next season. League was already effectively done, so target no.1 was to close the gap…..looking unlikely! Target no. 2 , get to the league cup final and win it….fail! Win the Scottish Cup…..could still be achieved though, personally I’m no oozing with confidence!

The players have let him down on occasion, that’s beyond question but he’s got to have a look at himself for yesterday and the league cup final.

A slow start to next season and Ibrox will turn toxic very quickly!

Reactions: ao2
Yes.

Because managers aren't paid to manage just their own players. Part of their remit is to improve what they have and performance wise it's been the same old story

So 5 months now is the time some of you think a manger with no pre-season and 1 January transfer window should be judged?

He’s basically said that in every press conference since he was appointed, has he not?

Feels a bit odd that people are getting on his case about the squad when he’s already said it’ll be rebuilt.
Yip , and we still use the same tactics. Time to reign it in and build confidence now. We all know it ain't work but leaving them wide open ain't helping. Got an unfit Morelos running the wing and dropping deep, defenders that struggle defending and leaving space all over the park because they push up. Time to do the basic now. The keeper doesn't command the box yet we try and play him as a sweeper. I'm must be watching a different game every week.

There has been improvement in performances since his arrival but the continued failure of players to deliver results in important games is still as prevalent as ever.
I wasn’t sure of his appointment and still am not I honestly believe the ingrained defeatist mentality of these current players cannot be changed

I'm not convinced and will call it now - he'll not see next season out. Lacks in the basics for me. Subs, team selection, tactics. He's sending out loud signals, and they aren't good.

The team at the top of the league are there and it's largely due to their manager making substitutions that make a difference. Keeping players fresh, interested, match sharp. Celtic players know there's a good chance they'll get some game time each week. Players being subbed know it's not a negative reflection on them - it's to keep things going.

Our manager accepts we were poor in yesterday's second half. He made one change because the player was carrying a knock. The other change came in the 88th minute.

Not for the first time he's been left looking clueless - the final being a perfect example.

We're doomed captain!
Indeed, there is only so much time to make an impact and if us fans can see it so must the players.

Some of the abuse in the away end yesterday was over the top but it tells you a lot of fans are unhappy at present.

I can remember the reaction after Partick and also the league cup final with fans pinning both abject performances at Beales feet.

I honestly think there’ll be loads more that turn on him if we fail to beat Celtic on Sunday. Rightly or wrongly Beale will get the blame for both cup competitions and he’ll be fighting a losing battle next season if we drop points early in the season
I'm surprised he took it mid season tbh.

I know there are examples like Emery at Villa but they had the players already there whereas Beale has basically taken on the decision to replace Aribo with Matondo, Bassey with Yilmaz etc.

There's no point in denying the inevitable that if he finishes 0/5 against them then a lot of our fans will have already turned.

The sooner this season ends, The better.

Beale can’t be judged from December - May with this current squad.

A clean slate as a few poster have suggested and we start our judgement next season when he builds his own team.
So he can’t be judged for the 2 cup competitions?

He needs to learn how to make a substitution that affects the game positively.

He also needs backed with funds.
These points could have been made of Gio this time last year.

I like Beale, he is clearly learning a lot as he goes in this job but I think he will learn.
He needs to make some strong decisions though - we are lacking all over the pitch and the players have had numerous chances to assess it. Most of them need replaced somehow.

Specifically on Beale, I think he does need to learn to say a bit less in these press conferences. He gets a bit carried away chatting at times for me and says too much.. this line alluding to McGregor & Morelos not being here next year has just created a storm of speculation and chatter that is a distraction, and it was completely self-inflicted.

I'm surprised he took it mid season tbh.

I know there are examples like Emery at Villa but they had the players already there whereas Beale has basically taken on the decision to replace Aribo with Matondo, Bassey with Yilmaz etc.

There's no point in denying the inevitable that if he finishes 0/5 against them then a lot of our fans will have already turned.
Quite simply if he loses the semi final on Sunday, winning at Ibrox in the last game against them this season won’t make one bit of difference

F*ckin hell!!! hahaha Are we at the stage now where people are using Chelsea as some kind of barometer of how a manager should be judged.
Its just the way football works these days. How many people were saying they should give Potter who is a very good manager another summer to turn things round.

We aren't at a stage yet were Beale is under pressure but the amount of people writing off the season and getting excuses in for the remaining games is unreal. By the end of the season we will have played that lot 5 times under Beale, at that point its fair to make a judgement on a manager whether the squad is his players or not.

Red rotten for me so far.

Any big test, he’s failed so far.

Give him the summer window and let’s see what he can bring.

He has no excuses, he’s his own man and he’s in charge of bringing his own players in without interference from Wilson, so let’s see how he goes until Xmas or even before that.
Really needs to win the semi.. I'm getting Warburton vibes off him. Talks a good game in theory, but yesterday wasn't good enough. A few players have chucked it as well

The biggest problem I think Beale has is that there's players in that squad who clearly aren't good enough and/or have questionable attitude/motivational issues and should have been moved on last season, the season before that or maybe even earlier.

Part of that is presumably down to a lack of funding, but we're now in a situation where you could make a reasonable, objective argument for moving on the bulk of our starting XI and a big chunk of the squad. Which is never going to happen in a single transfer window, even if we had the required funds.

55 aside, this season has gone exactly the same way as the last 5 or so seasons? We're still making the same mistakes on the pitch week in, week out that we have been doing for years.

Beale took over a bad situation. Injury crisis, poor fitness and players who looks like they chucked it or just declining. He came in, improved our attacking play immediately from what it was under Gio and got at least a temporary boost out of most of the players. The cup final is the only time i think Beale has gotten it completely wrong, that team was awful and everyone knew it when it was announced. I don't have that many complaints about him besides that. We should have won both of games in the league under him but individual mistakes put a stop to both of those. Yesterday was poor, missed chances we should have scored while they did and scored a goal most footballers couldn't do again if they tried it another 99 times. The subs actually fit enough to be on the bench weren't going to change the game.

He needs to be ruthless in the summer though, no exceptions. This team will fail him again if he's loyal to too many of them. A rebuild unless everything goes perfect is going to be painful at the start but even if it means a smaller squad for the first half of the season it needs done. Also just a fear i have but i really hope our summer signings are more ambitious than just players Beale's got an idea of from working in Chelsea and Liverpool's academies because we will win f all if English, Bottom half of the Championship level players are what we're going to be filling the squad with.

Fkn hell.
Are we really wanting to be that club? A club that we used to laugh at, chopping and changing managers every two minutes?

He has come in mid season, the results we have gotten since then would have won us the league in 99% of other seasons. As others say, he quickly turned a deflated , rudderless squad back into a team, a cohesive unit and results instantly picked up.
The two signings he has made look very good so far, hopefully a sign of how things will continue.

Surely he gets next season, all of it to get his own players in and impose his own style of play with a new group of players.

if funds premit, we want rid of about 70% of our current squad, so he will need the time to work with whoever we manage to get in.

Inconvenient truth also- celtic- they have been an absolute machine this season in terms of getting results. there are still folk on here who cannot bring themselves to admit that they might just be a wee bit good, and their manager mibbees knows what hes doing.

Even since we went on a good run when beale came in, we couldnt make a dent on them as they just keep winning. That will be demoralising to a squad of players that we already think are quite fragile mentally.

Its just the way football works these days. How many people were saying they should give Potter who is a very good manager another summer to turn things round.

We aren't at a stage yet were Beale is under pressure but the amount of people writing off the season and getting excuses in for the remaining games is unreal. By the end of the season we will have played that lot 5 times under Beale, at that point its fair to make a judgement on a manager whether the squad is his players or not.

Maybe for the run of the mill internet fan who wants everyone sacked and replaced every week.

In the real world it doesn't work like that. Every club sitting at the top of their respective leagues in England, Germany, Spain, Italy etc all have managers who have been there for over a year and who have had a say in building their squads over at least 3 transfer windows.

Beale has been here since mid-November.

5 months in, out the cup, two old firm defeats, looking likely to be papped out the other cup and players look flat as a pancake. Nope, I don’t.

There’s a difference between making a bit of an improvement and making the impression required.
Any sensible person will have noticed he made improvements from what he took over,he’s not a miracle worker he needs the summer and a couple of windows.

Chelsea have just sacked Potter after 6 months and one window.
Thats the madness of the epl. They're not getting any better, so it was a ridiculous decision, especially bringing Lampard back. Comparing us to Chelsea is nonsense, they have money we can only dream of.

I can just see us in 5 years time, with 5 different managers and them going for 10 in a row again. Celtic are way ahead of us off and on the pitch, hard to stomach, but that's just fact. They used to be in the same position we are now, trying to play catch up. The only answer I see, is someone pouring their wealth in who has king billy on his wall, but that's very unlikely.

Going by our past history, in bringing young talent through, I don't see the answer there either, especially with the country hardly producing top players anymore.

I don't understand why we have to show so much respect to the opposition in this country, we have our striker's running back to defend all the time, me personally I would tell them to stay up the park

Part of that is presumably down to a lack of funding, but we're now in a situation where you could make a reasonable, objective argument for moving on the bulk of our starting XI and a big chunk of the squad. Which is never going to happen in a single transfer window, even if we had the required funds.
Our cost base will change significantly in the summer with the leavers expected - Both sales and end of contracts.

It can't be underestimated how ridiculously high our wage bill is for what we're getting.

I'm optimistic of a good few new arrivals in, financed through having a much smaller squad.

Out what cup?

Red flags beginning to show.

The Scottish league is terrible we should be expecting to win games vs the dross. But we keep conceding first, bizarre subs and don’t show up to big games.

He gets the summer but I can see him bringing in a few QPR rejects and keeping his mates from the 55 season.

Grim - but mind you i can’t wait for this season to finish

Some of the comments at the game were embarrassing yesterday. Sometimes I wonder why some fans even bother to go.

But the post you replied to accepted he was winning games, you had talked about making an impression

I still don’t really understand what style of play he’s looking to implement
Post 102 explains it without me having to type it out,it’s totally wrong to say he’s never made an impression since arriving.

Red flags beginning to show.

The Scottish league is terrible we should be expecting to win games vs the dross. But we keep conceding first, bizarre subs and don’t show up to big games.

He gets the summer but I can see him bringing in a few QPR rejects and keeping his mates from the 55 season.

Grim - but mind you i can’t wait for this season to finish
Anybody who wants Beale out the door this season - not that I'm saying there's many of them - is a fucking roaster and best ignored.

But one thing's for sure, if he does rely on "his mates from the 55 season" they WILL get him the sack. 100%.

Huge summer ahead for him.

He took over an absolute mess but the reality is that this game is unkind and he really needs to win the Scottish cup.

Not doing so just ramps up more pressure. We don’t make CL next year, don’t win the league cup and suddenly that „free hit“ starts to be regarded as more failure.

Look at Gio. Not expected when a Rangers manager to win the Europa league but not winning that probably led to him losing his job.

As a guy he’s very likeable and I think he definitely buys into what the club are all about and the demands of the support. Performance so far? It’s been respectable in some ways, he got an immediate response from the players when he came in; but then so did Gio. But however you look at it, he’s failed the big tests so far, and he’s made some really baffling calls during those tests that haven’t worked out at all.

And as much as I want him to do the business, I do think he was a really lazy, unimaginative appointment by a fraud of a DoF and a board who just don’t know what they’re doing on the football side of things. Beale also has an emotional attachment to a lot of these players, players who have no business remaining here; and I think that brings its own problems. He really needs to be ruthless and cut the cord or he’ll be looking for another job in the not too distant future.

Obviously he is referring to the League Cup

Indeed, but we lost a cup final - it happens. In 2009 I watched a very expensively assembled Rangers team lose to Celtic in the League Cup final rather easily 2-0.

Unfortunately football isn't perfect and even the best teams lose those games. Our current manager has been here a few months and lost that game, as much more successful and experienced managers of ours have lost. To use it as a stick to constantly beat with with, as some are already, is grossly unfair.

Reactions: TN8
Back