Work at Edmiston House - good to see the progress

Where have you heard this? I would imagine just cladding those three stands would cost quite a bit? I’d rather they spent the money pedestrianising and smartening up the surrounds and toilets in the stadium

website screenshot service

This was the plans when it was announced, you will notice the stands are clad in the same stuff as New Edmiston house.

I had read the other week that works had started on cladding but as I re-read it it might be the yellowed bits at the ends of the stands that had started being replaced again so I’m not sure now.

If those plans are kept those and the stands and Edmiston house are tied in with each other it will look splendid especially if they use some LEDs, Lighting and some glass

Just an aside, I think I forgot since the building had fallen into disrepair and then knocked down just how big the old Edmiston House was (although could be eyes playing tricks in photo)

It looks huge, was it over 3 levels the old building? I thought the new building maybe made up for height by being a bit longer as it looked closer to the road side but again I’m not so sure

Just as a matter of interest how does it compare to the size of the old Edmiston house? It used to be a venue for bands and stuff too wasn’t it?

To my eye it looks very similar in size

It will be great to have such an asset at the stadium again. The museum and shop being there will generate income but also having a sports bar where the old shop will be tremendous. I hope it will be like a sports cafe through the week which will also generate interest and income. Could adorn the walls with memorabilia
Please apply for job at lbrox good ideas sadly lacking currently

Please apply for job at lbrox good ideas sadly lacking currently
Mate that’s the thing, I’m sure the club could just do some simple things which would make for a much better experience for the fans on match day and just visiting Ibrox on through the week encouraging in to spend more time and money there.

Have a club shop that’s of decent size and selling merchandise we want and not just shirts. Don’t think we do enough of the stuff we used to have loads of. Framed pictures, a good variety of mugs, key rings, pens, books, stickers, towels, golfing accessories scarfs and hats, footballs, pyjamas etc etc

When you are at the club shop have a nice rangers themed cafe that doesn’t tear the arse out of it price wise, light snacks,

Rangers themed bar at the stadium again to be enjoyed when just visiting the stadium and again could also be another place to get something to eat on non match days when visiting the stadium

Given the history we have a museum fit for purpose and a gift shop, maybe that would be best bit for pens, badges, postcards etc. things that visitors to the stadium who maybe not be rangers fans and are tourists to Glasgow could but things to take home.

It’s not difficult although at times our club makes it so. I’m sure many of us will have been visiting a city or are on holiday and have went to a stadium for a visit whether it be Old Trafford or Anfield, Nou Camp or San Siro or even The MCG or an Olympic Stadium there all usually have these things there to hold your attention whether you are a supporter of the team or sport or not.

Having things like our famous gates, main stand, the current or even new ly commissioned statues have things that people can get photo opportunities on the stadium grounds just to hold your attention that bit longer

In recent years just in the UK I’ve been to Manchester United, Liverpool, Hull City, Sunderland, Newcastle (even though it was SD shite) and have though all of them did better merchandise than we have had. Even Hearts I though had a better range than us when I was visiting Edinburgh one day.

Handing the club shop over to Castore to run was always a bad idea IMHO as they will focus on their products, a club shop needs to have a rangers of products sources from different places.

Look at all the Chinese made retro shirts folks have been buying, the club could have made a killing with properly licensed retro apparel even if it was from Umbro, Adidas or Nike if we hadn’t just let Castore run things

Can’t wait till it opens so everyone can moan like %^*& about every little detail of it
I applaud the club for trying to improve things and I think it will be a huge asset.

I for one would hate to sound like I’m moaning when bringing up stuff I’d like it to have or if we are discussing things on here trying to be constructive.

With some fans the club is damned if they do and damned if they don’t though. That said it would be a really boring forum to come on if we all were happy with what the club was doing and every idea they had was golden :)

I agree.

The club won't even do up the toilets properly within the stadium or remove years old rust and moss from the top of the dugouts, so there is no way they are going to put cladding on three stands.

And we are still waiting - after years - for the sides of the Broomloan and Copland to be finished.

The neglect continues to be astonishing and unacceptable.
Have a day off ffs .

website screenshot service

This was the plans when it was announced, you will notice the stands are clad in the same stuff as New Edmiston house.

I had read the other week that works had started on cladding but as I re-read it it might be the yellowed bits at the ends of the stands that had started being replaced again so I’m not sure now.

If those plans are kept those and the stands and Edmiston house are tied in with each other it will look splendid especially if they use some LEDs, Lighting and some glass
I wouldn’t read too much into those images.

If you are going by those alone mate look at the tenement flats behind edminston house- they have been overclad as well! Are the club doing that?

I really think it’s just for the purposes of the image. I do not think we will throw money at over cladding three stands when there is so much that needs done elsewhere in the stadium. We haven’t even finished replacing the old side cladding on the Copland and Broomie yet and it was started 3 years ago!

From a purely financial aspect from their point of view it’d make sense that the actual sports bar where the shop is would be Lite Hospitality on match days. It’s what some of the dead space inside Ibrox should be used for.

Tickets sold. Numbers controlled. Idea on levels of stock usual stuff. Only issue is can’t they actually broadcast the matches though? How would that work?

If you are going by those alone mate look at the tenement flats behind edminston house- they have been overclad as well! Are the club doing that?

I really think it’s just for the purposes of the image. I do not think we will throw money at over cladding three stands when there is so much that needs done elsewhere in the stadium. We haven’t even finished replacing the old side cladding on the Copland and Broomie yet and it was started 3 years ago!
Also is it just the exterior parts because what about all the bricks that have been bought?

Some of them are an eyesore as well.

Also is it just the exterior parts because what about all the bricks that have been bought?

Good point.

I honestly think there’s Buckley’s chance of the stadium being reclad. I’ve no idea where the poster is getting that from

Mate that’s the thing, I’m sure the club could just do some simple things which would make for a much better experience for the fans on match day and just visiting Ibrox on through the week encouraging in to spend more time and money there.

Have a club shop that’s of decent size and selling merchandise we want and not just shirts. Don’t think we do enough of the stuff we used to have loads of. Framed pictures, a good variety of mugs, key rings, pens, books, stickers, towels, golfing accessories scarfs and hats, footballs, pyjamas etc etc

When you are at the club shop have a nice rangers themed cafe that doesn’t tear the arse out of it price wise, light snacks,

Rangers themed bar at the stadium again to be enjoyed when just visiting the stadium and again could also be another place to get something to eat on non match days when visiting the stadium

Given the history we have a museum fit for purpose and a gift shop, maybe that would be best bit for pens, badges, postcards etc. things that visitors to the stadium who maybe not be rangers fans and are tourists to Glasgow could but things to take home.

It’s not difficult although at times our club makes it so. I’m sure many of us will have been visiting a city or are on holiday and have went to a stadium for a visit whether it be Old Trafford or Anfield, Nou Camp or San Siro or even The MCG or an Olympic Stadium there all usually have these things there to hold your attention whether you are a supporter of the team or sport or not.

Having things like our famous gates, main stand, the current or even new ly commissioned statues have things that people can get photo opportunities on the stadium grounds just to hold your attention that bit longer

In recent years just in the UK I’ve been to Manchester United, Liverpool, Hull City, Sunderland, Newcastle (even though it was SD shite) and have though all of them did better merchandise than we have had. Even Hearts I though had a better range than us when I was visiting Edinburgh one day.

Handing the club shop over to Castore to run was always a bad idea IMHO as they will focus on their products, a club shop needs to have a rangers of products sources from different places.

Look at all the Chinese made retro shirts folks have been buying, the club could have made a killing with properly licensed retro apparel even if it was from Umbro, Adidas or Nike if we hadn’t just let Castore run things
Agree 100% everything there I've been banging on for years. From the moment you turn from louden onto our footprint.

The landscape should be welcome signs, new statues, signs from yesteryear etc. Even the bollards replaced. Paint the railings and lamp posts same as Ibrox gates. Just fully coordinate the whole area with Rangers branding colours. I know there's been starts but can do so much more.

Alot of the bricks need redone and protective layer over them. Some have faded out so much can't even tell who is it for.

If club was to do exterior. I would ideally like club to have a serious think on getting these moved and protected.

Personally I'd bring the turnstiles out to where the edge of the building is and redesign concourses and update the cherished bricks.

At the time they said the stands were to be clad and if I remember correctly they used Goodison Park as the example of how it was done.

At the time they said the stands were to be clad and if I remember correctly they used Goodison Park as the example of how it was done.
I’d like to see this documented or if you have the link mate? Who said it. I honestly have zero recollection of anyone at the club saying the stands would be reclad

I'm sure the board will have various plans,drawings etc from over the last few years from various feasibility studies ,its whether they are affordable or not .

And Dave King a few years back talked about an Ibrox 2022 project about changing the whole look and feel of the stadium and a refurbishing of the surrounds of the stadium.

It is time to hear from the board if there are medium to long term plans for the stadium ,because as much as it still is a tremendous venue ,it is miles behind even in the basics these days .

I’d like to see this documented or if you have the link mate? Who said it. I honestly have zero recollection of anyone at the club saying the stands would be reclad
Sorry mate it's not something I have. It's just something I seem to remember reading. I wouldn't have known Goodison had be reclad otherwise

Sorry mate it's not something I have. It's just something I seem to remember reading. I wouldn't have known Goodison had be reclad otherwise
Fair enough mate I’ve trawled through all I can see and there’s nothing official or documented or even A recorded comment from the club that the three stands are to be overclad.

Perhaps you’ve seen that image and thought it looks the part and I agree it does but there’s no plans for it or I would imagine budget.

Absolutely agree I now live in Canada was back in June and went up with the intent of spending some cash to take stuff home for my sons ,there was nothing there no badges no pictures nothing other than strips and training gear. Disappointing TBH need to speculate to accumulate

Absolutely agree I now live in Canada was back in June and went up with the intent of spending some cash to take stuff home for my sons ,there was nothing there no badges no pictures nothing other than strips and training gear. Disappointing TBH need to speculate to accumulate
Similar to this I’ll never forget relatives over from Australia hadn’t been to Ibrox in over 35 years and sadly could see the disappointment etched on their faces as they went from buzzing with excitement to trying to conceal their sadness at the state of our club shop, ticket office portakabins and general Demise of the surrounds of our once great stadium. It didn’t help this was in 2015 of course.

Cany anyone remind me what all the facilities in the new EH will be?

Museum
Concert area
Cafe
Club shop

Have I missed anything?

I love the idea of the current club shop being transformed into a bar.

- Good selection of beers & spirits.

- Good pub grub.

- Loads of TV screens with sports channels on.

- Modern Rangers decor with wall murals of legendary players/managers etc.

- A good mix of sit down booths & a good sized standing area to utilise space.

- Decent selection of music.

I wonder how many people the space would hold.

I love the idea of the current club shop being transformed into a bar.

- Good selection of beers & spirits.

- Good pub grub.

- Loads of TV screens with sports channels on.

- Modern Rangers decor with wall murals of legendary players/managers etc.

- A good mix of sit down booths & a good sized standing area to utilise space.

- Decent selection of music.

I wonder how many people the space would hold.
I’d imagine you’ll get the same selection of beers as the hospitality lounges.

Fair enough mate I’ve trawled through all I can see and there’s nothing official or documented or even A recorded comment from the club that the three stands are to be overclad.

Perhaps you’ve seen that image and thought it looks the part and I agree it does but there’s no plans for it or I would imagine budget.
Mate I’d have sworn I saw it posted here, on a rangers page on Twitter or Facebook and it wasn’t just from a random it was an article .

I hadn’t known Goodison had been re clad as I said, it had a few drawings similar to the ones I posted.

Maybe it was just a comment saying it would be a good idea but again I’m sure it said something about the brown cladding on the stands being removed and replaced to tie in the buildings and give a look of uniformity.

If it was just an idea it certainly would be one that would refresh the look of the stands

They could also use that 7 days a week for tourists as well that do the tours and offer them lunch etc there? I just doubt very much that If Rangers see a way of making cash every day of the week then they would not utilise that and milk it for all they can squeeze out of it.
I think the overheads will be too much for the money brought in for seven-day opening

If they can make it work for seven days they should open, but knowing the area, I don't think there will be a need for seven days
They maybe have a marketing plan in place to make it work for them that attracts more tourists who may for example also do the tour and then use this facility. This could also be promoted better with local hotels, tourists organisations and Scottish tourist board as a must see place to visit and tourist attraction.

Its all about the marketing.

Mate I’d have sworn I saw it posted here, on a rangers page on Twitter or Facebook and it wasn’t just from a random it was an article .

I hadn’t known Goodison had been re clad as I said, it had a few drawings similar to the ones I posted.

Maybe it was just a comment saying it would be a good idea but again I’m sure it said something about the brown cladding on the stands being removed and replaced to tie in the buildings and give a look of uniformity.

If it was just an idea it certainly would be one that would refresh the look of the stands
I think over the next five years or so the Club will renew the brown cladding on the three stands along with a myriad of other projects
Even just all the toilets, snack bars, and concourses would run into about a £1m
Everything is depending on the money brought in.

They maybe have a marketing plan in place to make it work for them that attracts more tourists who may for example also do the tour and then use this facility. This could also be promoted better with local hotels, tourists organisations and Scottish tourist board as a must see place to visit and tourist attraction.

Its all about the marketing.
I hope it works, I just have my doubts

I think , the club will do what they can to make as much out of this as possible and if they can open 7 days, I think they will.
The shop is currently open 7 days a week so at least part of it should be. Will be interesting to see how its split up once opened, if it's going to be closed off units or open plan.

I suspect you will be right and you are also probably best placed to comment!
Why? It will be a totally different market to just Rangers fans going in to the Louden. As I suggested above, the club must get as much cash back as possible and will be looking for every revenue market it can. This is Rangers that have tried to squeeze as much cash as possible from actual supporters so, Id be amazed if they dont try to do the same to non fans and neutrals that are just visiting the city. This could be marketed as a must see tourist attraction to get as much cash from it.

The club could try and have it even included as a stop on the red tourist buses that you see in the city centre.

Last edited:
Back