Would you offer Kent a new deal?

New deal for Kent?

• Yes

Votes: 700 33.7%
  • No

Votes: 1,376 66.3%

• Total voters
The lad doesn’t want to be here, it is blatantly obvious in his play, no heart for the blue jersey.
Get that impression and if that's the case he's leaving a bad impression and if he is wanting a move he needs to up his game. We don't really have a choice to play him as we don't have anyone like him.

He's been poor domestically, there's no doubt about that.

I still say a director of football could easily have sold him for more than we bought him for, armed only with a DVD of last year's Europa League.

That ship has sailed now.
You genuinely believed we could have sold Kent with a year left on his contract and a poor season behind him for over 7million ?
Even if we wanted to sell him I don't think he would have left ,he wants a bosman

voted no as it seems clear he wants to leave. Must be some decent wingers in other leagues that are within our budget! Not had a decent right winger since Candeias left.

Kent looks every inch like Édouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham did for that mob in our 55 season.

You know he's a player but he's no interest in being here. He'll occasionally produce some good play because he's a talented player but there's no commitment in his play.

Oh how we laughed at them only for us to make the same mistakes.

You genuinely believed we could have sold Kent with a year left on his contract and a poor season behind him for over 7million ?
Even if we wanted to sell him I don't think he would have left ,he wants a bosman
It was only a poor season domestically though, and teams would more likely look at his performances against a higher quality of opposition.

Plus 7 million is absolute peanuts in relative terms.

Not for me. He can be brilliant on his day but unfortunately those days are few are far between now.

He's in the same bracket as the likes of Jack, Arfield, Davis, Barisic and possibly even Goldson and Morelos in that their best days as Rangers players are behind them.

Just adds to the frustration about the recent recruitment that we seem to struggle to move people on at the right time.
I think the fact a lot of his best performances have come in OF games or Euro games is what makes it easy for a lot of fans to just overlook or forget the sea of utterly mediocre/shite performances he’s given us. I mean at this stage the bad has well and truly outweighed the good with Kent. Just far too many insipid and fruitless performances when we really need our £7m man to step up. Of course the season is a bit different, because he doesn’t even look particularly fussed anymore.

It was only a poor season domestically though, and teams would more likely look at his performances against a higher quality of opposition.

Plus 7 million is absolute peanuts in relative terms.
Nobody was paying over 7million for a player who underperformed in Scottish football who only has a year on his contract
7 million is the second most we have spent on a player it's only peanuts to a handful of clubs ,

Nobody was paying over 7million for a player who underperformed in Scottish football who only has a year on his contract
7 million is the second most we have spent on a player it's only peanuts to a handful of clubs ,
It's peanuts to English clubs. Even Championship ones, unless things have changed since Oli McBurnie was worth 20 million. :)

He played in England,not Scotland that's the difference.
The bid from Leeds that was rejected, and widely reported as 11 million, was while he was playing in Scotland.

Some people aren't going to agree, but even with a year left on his contract, I believe we could've got our money back, if he was open to moving on.

Top Player out of form with a big outlay. Has to be Yes terrible business not to. I think a lot of these No responses are a bit of an emotional response. If you cant get a transfer fee in January you need to offer a contract, which we will offer...Its prob out out hands as Kent will be looking elsewhere IMO - not ideal but you cant let a good player who you spent £7m on walk out for free the same people will want Ross Wilson sacked for that !
Ryan Kent is not a "top player", he's a decent player, his stats absolutely do not back up top player rating. he's been garbage in the domestic scene for the majority of his time here

Yes to a new contract only because we have to get some value when he's sold which should be in summer. Won't recoup our outlay but he's not turned out how we wanted vs. What we spent.

The bid from Leeds that was rejected, and widely reported as 11 million, was while he was playing in Scotland.

Some people aren't going to agree, but even with a year left on his contract, I believe we could've got our money back, if he was open to moving on.
There might have been a little glimmer of hope for that if he was playing well. But he’s been stinking and potential suitors aren’t going to NOT notice that he’s just got his first league goal of 2022 last week.

There might have been a little glimmer of hope for that if he was playing well. But he’s been stinking and potential suitors aren’t going to NOT notice that he’s just got his first league goal of 2022 last week.
Yeah it would have to have been before this season started, or at least during the last transfer window.

The ship has sailed now and it looks likely he will leave for nothing.

We can’t let a £7m player leave for nothing, especially when we still likely owe Liverpool something for him. All the talk at the time was how we’d at least double our money on him during the length of his deal. We’d be lucky to get back what we paid for him now.

It’s just ended up a bit of a mess. His form is off and has been for a while now and he’s not going to be valued as much as we paid for him now. The reported £20m release clause is something we are never going to now get.

Really sad to see it end up like this and I know he’s settled in Scotland however his only real goal was to play Champions League football which he’s now done and to be fair, he’s not done well albeit he’s not the only one.

He’s shown some incredible moments of individual brilliance but they are too few and far between. I think he needs a fresh start as well.

I would sell him for what we can come January.

Absolutely!
For same wages.

Then sell him for as much cash as we can.

Insane that we are letting him walk away for nothing after spending 7 million + wages.

Wilson should be booted out for this alone, nevermind for all the transfer fuckups he has done in his short time.

Player trading my arse!

There's probably one more chance of us getting a decent fee in January, and that comes next week against Liverpool at Ibrox.

Hopefully he has a stormer.

Have you been watching him?
He’s miles off form but he’s one of our best players and biggest assets. Even from a purely financial point of view it is madness not to offer a deal. From an on field perspective it is almost equally so, despite tit apparently being the done thing to say he’s shite at the moment.

He’s miles off form but he’s one of our best players and biggest assets. Even from a purely financial point of view it is madness not to offer a deal. From an on field perspective it is almost equally so, despite tit apparently being the done thing to say he’s shite at the moment.
He’s not “off form”, playing poorly with regularity is the norm for Kent. Getting one or two exceptional games amidst a plethora of crap ones is how it’s always been with him. The biggest difference this season is the work rate has dropped too and he doesn’t actually look like he wants to be here anymore.

Given that’s he’s 26 and English I think if someone wanted him they’d have made their move by now. But either way, no one is paying any serious money for him; if a guy who just scored his first goal of 2022 in October is one of our biggest assets then we’re in a lot of bother.

It’s also worth considering that to pen a new deal he’d probably want more money, and %^*& paying him more when we’ll then run the risk of being stuck with him, paying him a fortune to continue to contribute very little. He’s certainly pulled the wool over many a fan’s eye though I’ll give him that.

He’s not “off form”, playing poorly with regularity is the norm for Kent. Getting one or two exceptional games amidst a plethora of crap ones is how it’s always been with him. The biggest difference this season is the work rate has dropped too and he doesn’t actually look like he wants to be here anymore.

Given that’s he’s 26 and English I think if someone wanted him they’d have made their move by now. But either way, no one is paying any serious money for him; if a guy who just scored his first goal of 2022 in October is one of our biggest assets then we’re in a lot of bother.

It’s also worth considering that to pen a new deal he’d probably want more money, and %^*& paying him more when we’ll then run the risk of being stuck with him, paying him a fortune to continue to contribute very little. He’s certainly pulled the wool over many a fan’s eye though I’ll give him that.
It’s revisionist nonsense to say he has contributed very little. He’s not playing well at the moment and I do agree that his work rate looks to have dropped recently which is a concern but this is not the norm, no matter how much some of our own fans try to paint that picture.

It’s revisionist nonsense to say he has contributed very little. He’s not playing well at the moment and I do agree that his work rate looks to have dropped recently which is a concern but this is not the norm, no matter how much some of our own fans try to paint that picture.
The only revisionism is from yourself mate. He’s regularly gone through long spells of terrible form the entire time he’s been here.

It's been the norm for two years, probably more!

The only revisionism is from yourself mate. He’s regularly gone through long spells of terrible form the entire time he’s been here.
Sadly I agree with this. In the games when he's good he's bloody magic but when did that last happen? Dortmund away he played well but any other times?

The idea that he turns up in old firm games is a bit false too. He has played well in three or four but always at Ibrox. He's like a man down at the Piggery now.

I really believed we had pulled a rabbit out the hat with him when we managed to get him on a permanent deal, now I don't even want him in the team.

I rarely criticise individual players and try to stay positive but my patience is gone with Kent. Wish him well but I'd rather have someone like Sakala on his wing now, someone who pitches in with 12+ goals a season. To be honest he probably gives the ball away less too. How many times have you seen Kent just stop and expect a foul whilst the full back, who has barely touched him runs right up the park unchallenged?

Sadly I agree with this. In the games when he's good he's bloody magic but when did that last happen? Dortmund away he played well but any other times?

The idea that he turns up in old firm games is a bit false too. He has played well in three or four but always at Ibrox. He's like a man down at the Piggery now.

I really believed we had pulled a rabbit out the hat with him when we managed to get him on a permanent deal, now I don't even want him in the team.

I rarely criticise individual players and try to stay positive but my patience is gone with Kent. Wish him well but I'd rather have someone like Sakala on his wing now, someone who pitches in with 12+ goals a season. To be honest he probably gives the ball away less too. How many times have you seen Kent just stop and expect a foul whilst the full back, who has barely touched him runs right up the park unchallenged?
He’s scored twice at the piggery to be fair and played pretty well in those matches. It’s the huge number of shite performances against the rest that wind me up, it usually those ones that end up costing us the league and the cups too. For £7m you expect him to be the one that stands up but how often does it happen? Not very often is the answer, not very often at all.

Last edited:
He’s scored twice at the piggery to be fair and played pretty well in those matches. It’s the huge number of shite performances against the rest that wind me up, it usually those once that end up costing us the league and the cups too. For £7m you expect him to be the one that stands up but how often does it happen? Not very often is the answer, not very often at all.
The last of those two goals was coming on three years ago and he's been hopeless since. I hate having to write this because for a time I genuinely thought he was going to be an absolute star.

Even the cup final we lost to them. In the last minute of injury time he goes scarpering down the wing and plays the laziest ball possible to hit the only defender. Sure Alfie was unmarked at the back post.

There was a game at Motherwell, might have been in the 55 season, when he produced one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Looked like he was playing in wellies.

We need to stop being loyal to these players, it's going to cost us more trophies. For all the talent we had in the squad, and I genuinely believed we had the better team between Rodgers leaving them and about March of this year, they managed to win one trophy. A big one but just one. We need to replace the people that have let us down for that long.

He is though, and has been since he got here.
A few great European games and a decent season in 2020/21 don't mask that fact.

Over the piece he's been a 5 or 6 out of 10 player for us, often worse than that. That so many are blind to this fact is the actual problem.

Last edited:
The only reason Kent would sign a new deal with us would be that there is no decent offer being made to him elsewhere.

His agent will/should already be looking at that with January looming.

So, if nobody wants to sign him on a free by pre-contracting him in January, why the fck would they suddenly be interested in signing him for decent money if he signs a new deal with us?

Are folk relying on him suddenly turning into a consistently good player all of a sudden?

The only reason Kent would sign a new deal with us would be that there is no decent offer being made to him elsewhere.

His agent will/should already be looking at that with January looming.

So, if nobody wants to sign him on a free by pre-contracting him in January, why the fck would they suddenly be interested in signing him for decent money if he signs a new deal with us?

Are folk relying on him suddenly turning into a consistently good player all of a sudden?
The above is my worst nightmare and a very real possibility.

I would be reaching out now to try and recover 3/4m for him in January. Bags of potential but 3 years down the line and we are still waiting on consistency. Time for a move

I was listening to the H & H podcast earlier and Cammy says he needs a rest, no he needs dropped as his performances have been utter crap!
Agree. Gerrard dropped him a good few times and got results. Just watched his goal v Antwerp, he was benched that game oland came on. He’s just off a 2 week break from international duty!

Top Player out of form with a big outlay. Has to be Yes terrible business not to. I think a lot of these No responses are a bit of an emotional response. If you cant get a transfer fee in January you need to offer a contract, which we will offer...Its prob out out hands as Kent will be looking elsewhere IMO - not ideal but you cant let a good player who you spent £7m on walk out for free the same people will want Ross Wilson sacked for that !
How is it terrible business? Show the workings here.

You have said if we can’t get a transfer fee in January…when he is free to talk to clubs about a free transfer in 5 months. Who is gonna give us millions after he is tied down on a long contract?

How is it terrible business? Show the workings here.

You have said if we can’t get a transfer fee in January…when he is free to talk to clubs about a free transfer in 5 months. Who is gonna give us millions after he is tied down on a long contract?
They simply refuse to see the logic of this.

The above is my worst nightmare and a very real possibility.
I genuinely don't know what makes folk think that just giving him a contract equals getting a decent fee.

If (hypothetically) Leeds want to sign him, they'll be looking at it now. They'll know they can go in and pre-contract him in less than three months - at which stage they can decide whether or not to discuss a nominal release fee with us to get him early or sit tight til the summer and let him walk in for only the cost of the signing-on fee/wages. Suits both buyer and player.

If Kent wants a move, he and his agent will know that signing a new deal at Ibrox gives benefit only to Rangers and may even put potential suitors off as his value immediately rises to the club's end only.

If he signs a new deal it means only he has no decent offers coming in from elsewhere when he's available for a pittance.

Why would extending a deal and making his price go up make more clubs come in or offer money they're not prepared to offer now?

It would be a leap of faith from the club that assumed he was going to transform as a player on the back of an extension and go up several levels in quality and consistency to actually attract those offers.

I see nothing to suggest there's any sensible prospect of that happening.

Takes me back to the days on here when folk were still saying Barrie McKay was worth 5-10 million in the last six months of his contract with us...

I wonder if a spell in the number 10 position could work for him.

He feels stale out wide left and I’ve always thought he was better in a central role.

4-2-3-1 with Matondo left and Kent centre?

Kent's on £20,000 per week (£960,000 per year) just under £1million with an offer that would take him well above the million mark, No, the promise he had as a great winger in the making isn't there anymore
Sell Kent in the winter window and recoup something, simply over rated and does next to nothing.

I keep seeing posts saying we can't let him leave for nothing and blaming the management for allowing it but if the player is determined to do just that then there is nothing anyone can do. The player has all the power.

I wonder if a spell in the number 10 position could work for him.

He feels stale out wide left and I’ve always thought he was better in a central role.

4-2-3-1 with Matondo left and Kent centre?
or maybe we can play the likes of Tillman there, an actual no10? rather than this fascination of playing players out of position to the detriment of others.

We’ll spend even less if we let Kent go for nothing. The idea we can replace him spending peanuts is crazy, off form or not.

Back