Would you self police in stands?

I remember when we first got into bother with uefa, some game at hampden and 10-15 late teens early 20s guys starting TBB, a 50ish skinny speccy guy standing up and shouting them down. Nobody else saying backing him up but he got them to stop.

A more revealing question may be 'who thinks/worries they may accelerate an altercation if confronted in such a manner'.

Too much infighting for me. Too many people who don't like labels labelling themselves with dozens of labels. "I don't like labels but iam genderqueer, pansexual, non-binary trans masculine queer"

Eh OK.
The 'Queer Umbrella' has been thrust onto the gay community because straight academics think it is trendy and want to call everything they write about queer. It's a mess, and simply a way for rich, married, straight people to consider themselves oppressed/absolve themselves of their privilege.

Too much infighting for me. Too many people who don't like labels labelling themselves with dozens of labels. "I don't like labels but iam genderqueer, pansexual, non-binary trans masculine queer"

Eh OK.

This has %^*& all to do with anything.

The point being - most of the support werent joining in , didnt want them to be singing it because of the potential harm to the club but no one was saying anything (including me) - and it took the least likely looking to shout them down, but he did. But yeah its not my best anecdote ...
But rousing none the less! It shows that one person can make an impact.

Yup. Genuinely worry for all the tomboys of the world that are growing up now. If I was growing up now I reckon would have been brainwashed into thinking I was trans.

Anyway, self-policing in the stands...f**king fuming about the news today.
I'm raging as well but genuinely think I - would like to, but - wouldn't respond positively to 'over-zealous policing' from our own. (Especially away, and doubly so considering I wouldn't sing the word we are being cited for in light of that fact)

I would never report anyone nah. But I'd probably say something to them. As unstaunch as it is I literally have no idea what the songs are about. I'm a Rangers fan cos my dad is. And I loved Mark Hateley. Nothing to do with politics or religion. Still don't get it.
But I am sure that you understand that it is important for a (I say this thinking it is true) majority of our fans?

Yeah of course. But I think some of the best songs are ones not deemed offensive. The Every Saturday one, the Blue Sea of Ibrox, all them. So sing them in the stadium. And sing the other ones on the bus or the clubs or wherever. That's all.
All that is offensive are the things deemed by UEFA to be offensive (so those containing '19th Century Terrorist'). Everything else habitually sang is just subjectively offensive. You're exactly correct, though.

I would suggest that the people who sing these songs aren’t our people. Anyone who is ignorant enough to continue something that damages our club isn’t a true blue.

Aren't our people because they sing a song people don't like...
thay love our club as much as the rest of us a song doesn't make them any less a fan.

thay love our club as much as the rest of us a song doesn't make them any less a fan.
Many feel they are defending the club from undue criticism by singing these songs. I am not saying that is a great approach, but it is one rooted in a love for the club. If someone can't see both sides of an argument then they are ideologically tied to one or the other (invested, even). Your comment shows a great understanding of the issue.

Last edited:
Fckn hell. A lot of mental replies to the original question by the op. I live in England now. I’m 46 and my youngest is 9 years old born in England. I’ve served 3 tours across the water along with other places and I’m proud of what I’ve done. I’ve experienced shite that most couldn’t imagine. Because of my experiences I’ve never taught my children anything about religion.

When you get your boy coming asking da what’s an orange bastard and what’s a 19th Century Terrorist bastard because he’s wearing a Rangers top playing football? Ffs this is how we are looked at around the world. I’ll get hounded for this post. I’ll take it.

The original question by the op is a valid question. Especially after today’s events. It’s now harming supporters of Glasgow Rangers football club who have no interest in religion.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m involved in another thread that is in the process of proving how corrupt our country is. We may need to police it reference Ibrox. If we don’t then we are playing right into their hands.
"

We are a very old club with traditions going back over a hundred years and a hatred for the scrum as old mate, if you don't want your kids involved in this good luck.
If you go to games have him blindfolded and earphones ,or go to rugby.
Not saying it's right but it's what it is.

Fckn hell. A lot of mental replies to the original question by the op. I live in England now. I’m 46 and my youngest is 9 years old born in England. I’ve served 3 tours across the water along with other places and I’m proud of what I’ve done. I’ve experienced shite that most couldn’t imagine. Because of my experiences I’ve never taught my children anything about religion.

When you get your boy coming asking da what’s an orange bastard and what’s a 19th Century Terrorist bastard because he’s wearing a Rangers top playing football? Ffs this is how we are looked at around the world. I’ll get hounded for this post. I’ll take it.

The original question by the op is a valid question. Especially after today’s events. It’s now harming supporters of Glasgow Rangers football club who have no interest in religion.

Please don’t get me wrong. I’m involved in another thread that is in the process of proving how corrupt our country is. We may need to police it reference Ibrox. If we don’t then we are playing right into their hands.
Thank you very much for your service to this country.
The Rangers Sports Entertainment Company is completely separate from any political or religious affiliation so support them without fretting about this stuff. The role and critical importance of Rangers FC in the cultural and political history of Glasgow, Scotland, etc. is something for the many supporters of that to worry about.

I remember this was the attitude of the Celtic fans after a wee boy was hit in the face with a bottle before an Old Firm game at Hampden and it was heavily criticised on here.
That’s the same right enough a song or a bottle to the face o_O

e8akEhS.gif

I debated starting a 'time to start self-policing' thread last night but decided against it.

Truth is, I have never bothed to self police previously but I'm now at the stage where I'd probably have a word with someone if sat nearby (fortunately there are very issues in the MRS section).

Those of us that live in the 21st century and dont sing the band songs, are as supporters, in a very difficult situation now. We either sit back and continue to ignore or face the very real scenario of being band from one of our matches as a result of a full stadium closure.

No I won't, I don't have a season ticket and I either take the kids to a couple of games a season and the rest I get a ticket for, I go myself. I'm a female so no way am I confronting anyone about singing naughty songs.

No it’s not our place the matter needs to be policed by the club. The club has to make it very clear that CCTV will be used to identify and remove the persistent offenders.

You don’t grass your own fans, that’s shitebag behaviour. I’ve heard some amount of dribble at games but I don’t go and report it.

Why?
The club is clear on this.
They’re harming the club and fellow fans with their selfish behaviour.
If they don’t heed the warning now then they don’t give a %^*& about the club.
They deserve to be banned
The club doesn’t want or need them.

Not read all the replies on this thread but a lot of people making noise about this subject probably don’t even go to the games. In particular the away games where most singing takes place, can’t teally have an opinion on something you aren’t part of in my opinion if you go to the games then fair enough but if you don’t bother your arse to go to the games then your opinion on self policing etc is worthless.

They don’t love the club more than they love a song.
If they sing it that much is clear.

How many other ways can it be put.
TBB is not acceptable. The club don’t want it sung. It’s just cost us around £100k
Soon it’s going to force us to close the stadium then it will be a ban. These aren’t guesses. This is what’ll happen.
Who that claims to love the club, would want to do that to the club? Because it’s the people singing these songs that are punishing the club.

Which fans are going to "police" BF1? Won't happen.
If BF1 or any other part of the ground causes problems, the club will deal with it. They are a business first and foremost. They'll simply remove ST's from the problem section., even if it means refunding cash. Cheaper than playing behind closed doors or missing out on Euro nights.

To those saying they would "self-police" and report their own supporters, I have a question for you.

Will you also then report opposing fans in domestic games that are singing anti-Protestant sectarian bile to you? Will you get up and go to the nearest steward and demand they get you a copper and ask said copper to then do something about the sectarian abuse being aimed at YOU!

Will, you also get your mobile phones out and get evidence of opposing fans singing anti British racist abuse ( pro-IRA) songs and sectarian anti Protestant bile and get on social media and put what you have seen out there and sent it to MSP's those charities that claim to be anti-sectarian crusaders and demand action is taken against those singing sectarian abuse towards us?

Back