Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

We're handing them a £40 million windfall next season to cover any compensation they have to pay out, our incompetence will fund their survival and for those thinking they will go out of business, think again.
Don't think there are many who realistically believe they will go out of business but they will forever be known as an organisation who enabled, fostered, and harboured a ring of known child abusers. That fabled "good name of c****c" nonsense obliterated for all of time, but more importantly they will be held accountable for their past and the victims will at least receive some closure of sorts.

I’d imagine they will be desperate to avoid a trial and see out of court settlement as best option, avoid the legal fees and the potential PR crisis of having a highly public court-case and all that could bring out, however, out of court settlements could easily open the floodgates for many others to come forward. Eifher way, this ruling is huge and they’re in a real spot now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can reasure you that there will be no out of court settlements.
Do we know what the standard compensation is at the moment? I'm assuming it is fairly small compared to the higher profile cases around the world.

Can you actually get an insurance policy that covers you for child abuse by your employees ?
Commonly known as the Nonce Clause.

Surely an insurance company would have deep reservations about providing this to Celtic, if possible, after being informed of convictions, rumours and suspicions?

They would be informed, wouldn't they?

Can you actually get an insurance policy that covers you for child abuse by your employees ?
I’m finding this whole discussion weird as well.

How on Earth would any insurance policy cover you for molesting children and being forced to pay compensation for it. Why would that ever be in an insurance policy?

We've handed them SFA as yet. What happened to 'the cry was no surrender'?

Is there a cap on liability / compensation in the UK from class action suits?

If this were in the USA, 400M wouldn't be enough to bail them out.
I don't have too much confidence that the Scottish judiciary will achieve an equitable settlement, although no amount of money will be enough to compensate for the crimes committed.
The cry was surrender meekly.

As we know Celtic announced sometime ago that they were conducting an internal investigation into the crescendo of child abuse allegations, I’m sure it was suggested this was to take the form of an assessment from their insurers over potential liabilities and then it all went very quiet.

I have some knowledge of commercial insurance and can see a huge number of pitfalls for them in the road ahead if they are expecting their liability insurers to meet their eventual compensation bill. Firstly they’ll need to trace who their insurers at the time of the occurrences were, this may not be easy and may involve more than one insurer if they changed provider regularly. If they successfully trace the insurer at the time, they’ll then need to establish if the policy included cover for abuse claims, again will not be easy tracing the extent of what cover was provided at the time (in modern policies you’d often expect this to be a buy back extension and not provided as standard).

If they do manage to trace the insurer and find the relevant wording, I would expect unless the wording is extremely clear that abuse cover is included (extremely unlikely) that the insurer will fiercely resist any claim which Celtic try to pass to them (given the precedent they could set for future claims).
In addition if the policy at the time was on a claims made wording it would render the cover at the time useless for claims made now, there is also the prospect of aggregate limitations on value of claims.

This may have also played into Dunlop’s comments around them not getting a fair trial because they didn’t have evidence of CBC being separate, well if they don’t have valid insurance in place they may have also tried to play this card that they wouldn’t get a fair trial.

I’d imagine they will be desperate to avoid a trial and see out of court settlement as best option, avoid the legal fees and the potential PR crisis of having a highly public court-case and all that could bring out, however, out of court settlements could easily open the floodgates for many others to come forward. Eifher way, this ruling is huge and they’re in a real spot now.
Whereas the survivors deserve every penny coming their way, the real victory will be an independent inquiry, the abusers, the enablers and every single cfc official involved in the cover up will be exposed, the world can then be informed of the biggest child abuse scandal perpetuated by known pedophiles over a fifty year period.

Can you explain why you believe this will be the case?

Yes,my brother is one of the victims and under no circumstances will he accept an out of court settlement.

He first and foremost wants an open appology and since 1983 that is what he has fought for.

Celtic football club have continued to state they are a seperate entity which we all know is complete nonsense and we ask them to prove it in a court of law,they have been running for years and run they may well do but hide they cannot..

Yes,my brother is one of the victims and under no circumstances will he accept an out of court settlement.

He first and foremost wants an open appology and since 1983 that is what he has fought for.

Celtic football club have continued to state they are a seperate entity which we all know is complete nonsense and we ask them to prove it in a court of law,they have been running for years and run they may well do but hide they cannot..
I hope your brother gets what he wants from this. When you start talking about individuals in this case it hits home even harder.

Watch the shitshow unfold and the pantomime routine outpouring from the usual suspects. Don't expect condemnation of the level that Goodwillie has received recently. The beasts will wriggle and wrestle, they will nevertheless ever again be able to deny the magnitude of there abuse scandal.
The belittling, whataboutery and shrugging of shoulders on this from the usual suspects is going to be really something.

We're handing them a £40 million windfall next season to cover any compensation they have to pay out, our incompetence will fund their survival and for those thinking they will go out of business, think again.
It could be way more than 40 million.

They rehired beasts, that alone should make any insurance invalid in regards to abuse. Automatically they’d have broken insurance rules. No way can someone have insurance that covers abuse and then go and 100% knowingly hire someone that can and will abuse and then expect to be covered in case of any abuse.

It's not all about putting them out of business although that would be nice , it's about a rancid organisation who thought they could treat children as they liked for rhee own pleasure. Its also about making sure that only the lowest of the low or companies with no morals are aware of who they are giving their money too

Hope you're brother finally gets justice and the apology.

Don't think there are many who realistically believe they will go out of business but they will forever be known as an organisation who enabled, fostered, and harboured a ring of known child abusers. That fabled "good name of c****c" nonsense obliterated for all of time

And this should be rammed down the throat of every potential future investor, sponsor, football agent and signing target.

Good to hear SOW1.

An insurance company would have no bother proving gross negligence or very much more likely - wilful negligence of duty.

The policy would be as valid as a non declared drunk drivers car insurance.
when you reduce this down the conversation becomes-

Insurance Agent
“ Is there any history of child abuse or similar in your Business.?”

” Well, we had a guy who ran our Boys Club who was jailed for Child Abuse.”

” So, he’s no longer involved I assume”

” Oh no, he still works with us, we re-employed him and he’s in charge of the kids”.

Just how ridiculous does that sound to a normal, rational person?
Would they say “ we knew he was an alcoholic so we put him in charge of wine tasting?”
Yet the same people were portrayed as paragons of Child care and protection.

Does anyone know when the Bheasts lost the civil case at Edinburgh High Court re: Mcafferty (I think) & were told to pay a 6 figure sum, was this paid via any sort of insurance policy or direct from the club?

I have written to both the SPFL & the SFA regarding this case in regards to what action they took or would now take on a member club having list such a case but had no reply.

Didn´t even make the news this morning

BBC Radio Shortbread felt it more appropriate to have a phone in debate about whether David Goodwillie should now be able to play for Clyde!!! Whilst I don’t condone anything DG did its seems they are hell bent on hounding this guy to the ends of the earth while turning a blind eye to decades of child rape! They’re a shower of rhats.

BBC Radio Shortbread felt it more appropriate to have a phone in debate about whether David Goodwillie should now be able to play for Clyde!!! Whilst I don’t condone anything DG did its seems they are hell bent on hounding this guy to the ends of the earth while turning a blind eye to decades of child rape! They’re a shower of rhats.
I don't doubt the need for discussion on whether Goodwillie playing football and being paid professionally is OK, but considering he played for clyde before this move, you'd like to think the legal descision to allow a court case to proceed on a child abuse scandal with at least 22 confirmed victims involving one of scotlands biggest teams... Would be worth at least a passing mention on the news headlines.

Don't think there are many who realistically believe they will go out of business but they will forever be known as an organisation who enabled, fostered, and harboured a ring of known child abusers. That fabled "good name of c****c" nonsense obliterated for all of time, but more importantly they will be held accountable for their past and the victims will at least receive some closure of sorts.
They will use their Trump card of the company who owned Celtic no longer exists as the Bunnet formed a completely new one.

The general thought of their fan base is that there are 22 cases to answer to and Celtic have £5.5 million put aside for this.

That would be Celtic then admitting fault.

I've seen care homes closed down for less cases of abuse.
Yep, but they think they pay them off and that's it gone, no other effect on CFC. In saying that a couple also thought that Celtic should give them all season tickets for life so that they can continue to support the club they love apparently
They are a strange bunch.

Does anyone know when the Bheasts lost the civil case at Edinburgh High Court re: Mcafferty (I think) & were told to pay a 6 figure sum, was this paid via any sort of insurance policy or direct from the club?

I have written to both the SPFL & the SFA regarding this case in regards to what action they took or would now take on a member club having list such a case but had no reply.
They didn't lose the case. They folded and settled out of court at the 11th hour.

Not before putting the victim through hell again.though.

Such is the way of this rancid organisation.

Back