Transfer Talk: Rangers return on the cards for Scotland ace Billy

Money.
If he was such a “supporter“ of the club, he wouldn’t have left in the first place.

As good a player as he is, he chose money before ‘his club’, and therefore he’s someone else’s player.
If he rips up his contract and signed for us, no problem, I’d have him, but he’s just another high profile talent that hasn’t fulfilled his ego, or arguably his talent.

We have just been in a major European final, which Chelsea would love. We don’t need their cast offs. (Harsh. I would take him back for free).
His maw very much is a supporter of Rangers TBH

The idea people are just going to give up hundreds of thousands of pounds is just f*cking daft

His club career has stalled because of the poor choice of club to go on loan to. However he has clearly shown enough times when playing in Chelsea's first team that he is a top talent, at ease playing alongside some of the best footballers in EPL.

I don't think £7m will cut it, perhaps £40m might get you amung the queue lining up to buy him if Chelsea ever decide to sell. The best we can hope for is a loan deal, and after last seasons disaster for him, we might be a decent option to get him back on track.
Which teams are going to be queuing up to pay £40m for him? That would make him the record signing for most EPL clubs and I doubt any of the lower-to-mid ones will be looking to recruit a slightly built 20 year old playmaker, fresh from an underwhelming loan spell, as their record signing.

There isn't a long list of teams with the money and the inclination to pay £40m for a player of Billy Gilmour's profile IMO. He's a wonderful footballer but he isn't exactly a plug-and-play solution that could fit in anywhere. He needs to play for a team that dominate the ball so he can dictate play. He'd look good at Man City but I doubt they would go for him at this stage of his career as they have the money to buy the finished article.

Sorry, not for me. Let Lowry, McCann and others get their chance first. They have stood by the club unlike Gilmour, who to me hasn't really shown much after an initial promising start.
McCann never stood by us, we signed him from Man Utd. Gilmour is a completely different option from those 2 and others. They are just starting 1st team football. Billy is a proven EPL/international player. If we can somehow manage to get him then it’s a no brainer.

Last year of his Chelsea contract. Offer £7m and see what they say.
Otherwise there's a chance of a loan, the sign him for free next summer.
His career is at a crossroads. Big decision for him this summer.
£7m? Are you on mind bending drugs?

Reactions: VGM
Money.
If he was such a “supporter“ of the club, he wouldn’t have left in the first place.

As good a player as he is, he chose money before ‘his club’, and therefore he’s someone else’s player.
If he rips up his contract and signed for us, no problem, I’d have him, but he’s just another high profile talent that hasn’t fulfilled his ego, or arguably his talent.

We have just been in a major European final, which Chelsea would love. We don’t need their cast offs. (Harsh. I would take him back for free).
dont need chelsea cast offs and a european final in which chelsea would only love

ffs mate have a word way yourself

His maw very much is a supporter of Rangers TBH

The idea people are just going to give up hundreds of thousands of pounds is just f*cking daft
Yea, nobody would to be honest. I would do the same.

The problem I have is not with Billy, it’s the underlying wasting of talented players that clubs with money and promises, enticing young players into lucrative contracts that ultimately damage their progress in the game.
Hey, I’m not going to lie, when the money gets flashed and the promises get made, anyone would be drawn to it.
For every one of those players that make it, how many more are ruining their carriers?

I don’t think Billy has quite done this yet, but he’s not on the up and he’s still a Chelsea player, but unless he’s signing a full contract with us to develop further, then we should not be pushing out our own.

Yea, nobody would to be honest. I would do the same.

The problem I have is not with Billy, it’s the underlying wasting of talented players that clubs with money and promises, enticing young players into lucrative contracts that ultimately damage their progress in the game.
Hey, I’m not going to lie, when the money gets flashed and the promises get made, anyone would be drawn to it.
For every one of those players that make it, how many more are ruining their carriers?

I don’t think Billy has quite done this yet, but he’s not on the up and he’s still a Chelsea player, but unless he’s signing a full contract with us to develop further, then we should not be pushing out our own.
He’s won a CL medal and played with his country at a major tournament when he was the best player on the park in their biggest game, he’s 20 years old - he is doing pretty well TBH

Hopefully a lesson learned when it comes to signing for English clubs as a youngster. The young Dutch and Belgian lads had to learn the same lesson a few years back when they both had a lot of promising talent like Scotland has. All these clubs do is place you in farm system with little or no hope of actually making a proper career for yourself.

He’s won a CL medal and played with his country at a major tournament when he was the best player on the park in their biggest game, he’s 20 years old - he is doing pretty well TBH
That’s why I would take him in a heartbeat.
But not as a loan.

We need players like him to be Rangers players. Not a project for other teams we might have to play in the future.

Last year of his Chelsea contract. Offer £7m and see what they say.
Otherwise there's a chance of a loan, the sign him for free next summer.
His career is at a crossroads. Big decision for him this summer.
Surel if he’s in the last year of his contract they are not going to loan him out, why would they?

There may well be a glut of good players available at prices lower than normal this summer.

From 1st July clubs can only loan out a maximum of 8 players (Chelsea have 24 out on loan this year). Couple that with the premier league's 25 man squad rules and the fact it's a world cup year there will be good players desperate to force transfers, and the chance to go to a club that's just been in a European final will be tempting
Only thing is mate I don’t think players who’ve been ‘trained at the club’ I.e spent a certain amount of years at the club as youngster, which Gilmour has done at Chelsea, are counted as part of the outgoing loans. I might be wrong on that but something is telling me I remember seeing someone say that and being surprised

Do you read all of peoples posts?
normally not when you mention not taking chelsea cast offs

he chased the money, ffs he was a young guy never getting a look in here

and what ego did he have

your like a scorned ex

normally not when you mention not taking chelsea cast offs

he chased the money, ffs he was a young guy never getting a look in here

and what ego did he have

your like a scorned ex
You’re absolutely right I’m like “a scorned ex”.

He’s a top talent and I would love him in a Rangers team, but he’s not a Rangers player.
He’s a Chelsea player.

No more loans to develop other teams players, it’s not hard.

Cut it any way you want, but the way Billy plays he would fit right in at Ibrox.
I cannot see any reason why we wouldn't want to repatriate the lad.
That said, I would prefer it as a transfer in, rather than a loan.

I think Chelsea might be open to a move for him.
I also think it would be a good move for Billy.

Build mid around Gilmour, Lowry, Lundstram. Slot others (Hagi, Jack, Aribo, Arfield) in as needed tactically. I'd like to see Davis have another season in squad. Can sell Kamara or play him further back.

I think last night showed that we can't keep on hoping for a fit Ryan Jack and i doubt he was anywhere near fully fit
Not a criticism of him but we need someone who can play most games
Can we wait and see how he gets on with a full pre season? He hasn't had one for at least 2 seasons.

Do we really want a player who can’t get a game for Norwich?

Sadly I see him going the way of Ryan Gauld. Done nothing in the past year to suggest he’ll live up to his potential

Money.

Absolute fcuking nonsense. He is a footballer and made a career decision that no one can argue with. He was levels above what we had, yet he couldn't get a game. Why would you stay?

McCann never stood by us, we signed him from Man Utd. Gilmour is a completely different option from those 2 and others. They are just starting 1st team football. Billy is a proven EPL/international player. If we can somehow manage to get him then it’s a no brainer.
I take your point ref McCann, but, we have a great stream of talent coming through, at last, give them a chance. I also ask the question, would Gilmour want to come back to Scotland, there will be numerous English clubs after him.

Great technical player who seems to have hit a brick wall this season down south. Any time I have seen him in the National team he has been a stand out.

Only issue is that he doesn't score goals and doesn't really provide assists either so basically just an upgrade on the type of player we already have in abundance for that position and let's face it his defensive side of his game is his big weak point.

Absolute fcuking nonsense. He is a footballer and made a career decision that no one can argue with. He was levels above what we had, yet he couldn't get a game. Why would you stay?
He would not sign a contract to become a professional footballer with Rangers.

I think you might be changing history here.

Edit: Don’t try to make me out like an agitator here. I would have him in a heartbeat, as a Rangers player.
NOT a Chelsea player.

I’ve said before, I don’t want him back till he is late in his career. However, if the price is right, like £3m, maybe £4m I’d take him as long as he takes his medicine for leaving the club. Like a few bench appearances early on.

He is at a cross roads, a promising glittering career has now became a shell of what that promise was. He has improved at Chelsea no end, however he needs to decide if he wants to become a English Championship/Relegation Premiership player or come back and get regular first team football and European football.

He is on a reported £50k a week, I’d say £5m would be my top value for him. If he is willing to take the pay cut to our levels.

If we can get a group of 19-24 year olds with good sell on appeal, with enough 25-32 year olds in there plus the players willing to stay, that’s what I’d go for. He may just be able to do that.
I'd make the ungrateful bugger do two laps of the park followed by 20 press ups.

Which teams are going to be queuing up to pay £40m for him? That would make him the record signing for most EPL clubs and I doubt any of the lower-to-mid ones will be looking to recruit a slightly built 20 year old playmaker, fresh from an underwhelming loan spell, as their record signing.

There isn't a long list of teams with the money and the inclination to pay £40m for a player of Billy Gilmour's profile IMO. He's a wonderful footballer but he isn't exactly a plug-and-play solution that could fit in anywhere. He needs to play for a team that dominate the ball so he can dictate play. He'd look good at Man City but I doubt they would go for him at this stage of his career as they have the money to buy the finished article.
A list of players who haven't quite made it at Chelsea includes De Bruyne and Salah.

Matter of opinion. When fit I'd have Jack over Gilmour. Anyway, would Gilmour want to come back to Scotland?
id like to hope he would, he needs to kick start his career

as for jack, hes made of glass unfortunately

even when fit he is not the same player as last season

Back