Succesful season

Do you consider this a successful season

• Yes

Votes: 1,076 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 253 19.0%

• Total voters
Completely disagree.

They won the league and not even their fans cared as they were so worried about our game in Seville.
Aye, they were worried. Because winning a Euro trophy would have been better than anything they had done!

However, we lost. They can console themselves with a league trophy from nowhere. It's all ifs and butts from us I'm afraid.

Europe - yes
Domestic - absolutely not

The hibs semi final and throwing away so many stupid points in the league is not the definition of a sucesfull season, but obviously being a bawhair away from winning the europa league more than exceeded expectation on that front

Like many, I said before the season started, a successful season was to qualify for the CL and retain the league.
We didn’t manage either, but with hindsight , these were for financial objectives rather than football. From a footballing sense, the season has been incredible.
And we are a football team.

We should be aiming for at least one trophy a season. Europa run was amazing.

Winning the cup is a big thing as we haven’t won it in so long and it breaks that duck.

We’ve had major players out on injury, we have changed manager and yeah a final of a European competition and a trophy is a success this season.

So of we had won on Wednwsday it wouldn't have been a success because we didn't win league? Haha aye ok
As you well know winning in Seville would have trumped the lot.

However, we didn't.

As of the regulation full time yesterday. I.E ninety minutes of the SC final played. We had competed in five competitions. We had lost in the previous four tournaments (two in Europe and two at home) and had thirty minutes of normal football left to play in the fifth.

How any Rangers fan can class that as successful truly has taken happy-clapping to nonsensical levels. Happily the SC at last came back to Ibrox. A nice ending to the season but by no manner of means a succesful one.

As the saying goes; 'Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.' Something a good many on this thread would do well to take note of.

Second is nothing.

As you well know winning in Seville would have trumped the lot.

However, we didn't.

As of the regulation full time yesterday. I.E ninety minutes of the SC final played. We had competed in five competitions. We had lost in the previous four tournaments (two in Europe and two at home) and had thirty minutes of normal football left to play in the fifth.

How any Rangers fan can class that as successful truly has taken happy-clapping to nonsensical levels. Happily the SC at last came back to Ibrox. A nice ending to the season but by no manner of means a succesful one.

As the saying goes; 'Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.' Something a good many on this thread would do well to take note of.

Second is nothing.
Ok going by your theory we never lost twice in Europe. After 90 mins it was 1-1 so we drew.
You are coming out with timmy levels of rewriting history. We never won in 90 mins so ot doesn't count? Ya fuckin crackpot

Not for me. The Scottish cup alone can never be deemed a good season for Rangers. I know we enjoyed a good European run as well, but ultimately we came up empty handed and yesterday felt a lot like a consolation prize. Ultimately it was an unsuccessful season for me.

Like many, I said before the season started, a successful season was to qualify for the CL and retain the league.
We didn’t manage either, but with hindsight , these were for financial objectives rather than football. From a footballing sense, the season has been incredible.
And we are a football team.
Is the right answer

Absolute pish.
Maybe you are not a Rangers fan, just some entitled fan that thinks we have the right to win everything because we are Rangers.
Absolute nonsense, if you class winning the Scottish Cup a successful season, then rangers isn't the team for you. Definitely don't think we have a right to win everything but allowed to be disappointed when we dont win the league

Voted no, we punched above our weight in Europe and gave everything we had and more but, domestically, we practically handed the league away to a team that were decent going forward but woeful at the back and embarrassed themselves in Europe.
If we'd have won the Europa, of course that would have made this 1 of the most successful seasons in our history but, we didn't.
However, what this season may have done is lay foundations for the next period in our history to be glorious.

It's a weird one because objectively no, it hasn't been. A Scottish Cup as the sum of our trophy haul isn't good enough, not when you look at the respective positions of us and them going into the season.

It is a disappointment in the moment. We can't hide from that.

But you know what? As soon as we've kicked off for the next, I will forget everything that happened this season domestically. It'll be clean gone. But the memories of that Euro run will live with me forever, so in the long run this team have given more than I could have ever asked for.

How entitled can a “ supporter” be when winning a Scottish cup and playing 19 matches to reach a major European final in a season we had to change management half way through isn’t deemed as successful?

Absolutely mind blowing stuff.
It's a forum, folk are entitled to an opinion, if you asked most folk on here at the start of the season if only winning the Scottish Cup this season would have been a "successful" season I'm sure they would have said no.

Our European run had plenty of top nights and memories, and winning it would've been one of the finest nights in our history, but we don't have anything to show for it.

Having won the cup yesterday. It’s a yes from me. Loose your title winning manager half way through the season. Is massive loss. Gio came in tried to change too much in my option and I think he realised that and corrected his mistake but it was too little too late for the league but he learned was the main thing. An incredible euro run with some of the best nights I’ve had at Ibrox and our first Scottish cup in years.

Ten years time we won’t remember who won the league as that comes and goes but we will all remember Seville. Leipzig brag Dortmund Lyon etc etc. that is success.

We now regroup rebuild and go again

Anyone saying no needs their head examined tbh.

Yes domestically it hasn't been anywhere near the best and we really should have won the league but we should have a 50/50 chance every year of winning the league again now. European football is worth so much more to the club and to me personally. Yes I want the league title every year but to say reaching a major European final isn't a successful season is madness.

It's a forum, folk are entitled to an opinion, if you asked most folk on here at the start of the season if only winning the Scottish Cup this season would have been a "successful" season I'm sure they would have said no.

Our European run had plenty of top nights and memories, and winning it would've been one of the finest nights in our history, but we don't have anything to show for it.
We don’t have anything to show for it?

Try £35 million quid and 19 memorable European nights to show for it. Another huge boost in our coefficient points and European ranking. Our club being shown in a positive light beyond Scotlands borders by BT sport and even UEFA. Ibrox being showpieced as a place to fear again in the European stage. Our fans reputation enhanced massively by 100,000 in Seville not a single arrest . Not to mention destroying the yahoos “ Seville” memories in one fell swoop. And more, much more.

I’d say we have plenty to “ show for it” .

Completely disagree.

They won the league and not even their fans cared as they were so worried about our game in Seville.

So by your reckoning winning the League Cup would be better than getting to the Europa League Final?
I can't believe these guys aren't doing the conga down the PRW. Guys who were squealing about Gerrard "Wan in 9" telling us that domestic cups are everything. So must be a momentous occasion for these troops yesterday.

Any season when you reach a euro final is a successful season. In 30 years time nobody will remember or care about who won a league but people will remember the journey to the final

if we had won the EL then it'd had be the greatest season in my lifetime as a rangers fan, but we didn't, we're meant to be big time club and we are surppose to win big time games, and they did not come bigger than wed night, and we failed, whatever we felt on the way to that final, the end result was we lost, like Gio said, no one will remember who the losers were (outside us).
to class winning just the scottish cup as a sucessful season is not the Rangers I was brought up with. folks keep saying "remember were we came from" which is fair enough, but when do we leave that thinking behind and start thinking bigger and demand better on all fronts? is this season's run a fluke or do we as fans have the right to demand similar for next season?
A sucessful season for me going forward is winning the league and doing well in europe, not one or the other but both, I think Gio sees us as a club that should be consistant performers in europe year after year, and the league will take care of itself, this season I'll give him the leeway that this is not his team
Post of the thread and the following wee passage sums up my feelings on the subject.

''folks keep saying "remember were we came from" which is fair enough, but when do we leave that thinking behind and start thinking bigger and demand better on all fronts?''

For me this 'Just nine years ago we were picking balls out of hedges in Brechin' is now a comfort blanket, a catch all, go to phrase for losing.

We were absolutely dross today. - Ah but remember where we were just nine years ago.

That was absolutely criminal that we dropped two points today - Hey remember, just nine years ago we were playing in parks with hedges behind the touchline.

It happened, so we get on with it. Although, if you don't want to forgive or forget and I'm one of them, the solution is easy. Target the clubs that put the boot into us one-by-one and starve them of money by boycotting their two home league games a season against us.

In many ways this 'Baws-in-hedges-at-Brechin' retort remind me of Willie Allison in his book, Rangers, The New Era, which hit the bookstores in 1966.

Speaking of our elimination at the hands of Inter Milan in the q/f of the 1964/65 EC he says;

''It was little compensation to to be told by the World Champions that we were the finest British side they had encountered or that we were the first British team to score in Milan in a European Cup match. Nor did it ease our pain to know Inter were much more than just another club side, and had been built at fantastic expense from some of the world's greatest exponents.

This was possibly because the financial set-up in Italy and other Continental countries is vastly different from what we know of them in Scotland.'' Also ''We play the same game, but do so in vastly different cash-worlds.''

In other words, an excuse back then for us not being able to match the best in Europe.

Which is all well and good till we realise sickeningly that just a year after Allison's words were in the public domain another mob from Glasgow operating under the exact same circumstances as us, rammed those words down our throats.

We should all be proud of what we have achieved in the last decade and all the obstacles we have had to overcome and are still facing to keep rising above the quagmire that is yahoo run Scottish football and of course the financial disparity between the 'big four/five' and the rest of us that is bigger than it has ever been.

It should not be used as a reason to justify accepting defeat, a comfort blanket if you will for standing still.

As for me, I don't know what kind of Rangers fan I am, or have become because like most, the last decade has probably changed me out of all recognition. However, I'd like to think that I will never come to the conclusion that only winning a Scottish Cup constitutes a successful season at Ibrox.

Anyone saying no needs their head examined tbh.

Yes domestically it hasn't been anywhere near the best and we really should have won the league but we should have a 50/50 chance every year of winning the league again now. European football is worth so much more to the club and to me personally. Yes I want the league title every year but to say reaching a major European final isn't a successful season is madness.
So what's a successful season for you next season? A good European run and winning the Scottish Cup, a genuinely hope this mindset doesn't run right through the club.

We don’t have anything to show for it?

Try £35 million quid and 19 memorable European nights to show for it. Another huge boost in our coefficient points and European ranking. Our club being shown in a positive light beyond Scotlands borders by BT sport and even UEFA. Ibrox being showpieced as a place to fear again in the European stage. Our fans reputation enhanced massively by 100,000 in Seville not a single arrest . Not to mention destroying the yahoos “ Seville” memories in one fell swoop. And more, much more.

I’d say we have plenty to “ show for it” .
Isn't success about how many trophies we win?

I don't really judge success on how many million we made, or if our fans behaved at a European away match.

If you asked a Celtic fan if they'd be happy with a Scottish Cup at the start of the season they'd piss themselves, and rightly so.

I do blame Gerrard's timing of leaving for blowing our first chance at silverware this season, but not kicking on and winning the league was criminal.

Successful and very disappointing at the same time but considering our manager walked out on us mid season we can have no complaints I suppose

So what's a successful season for you next season? A good European run and winning the Scottish Cup, a genuinely hope this mindset doesn't run right through the club.

Making the Europa League final is not simply a good European run ffs, it's an exceptional one!

Next season ideally I want us to recapture the league, make the CL group stages (dropping into the EL and going on a run there) and if possible 1 cup.

"demand bigger and better"

It's always the same posters who lap this shite up aswell and start rhyming off teams from the 60s when guys were drinking brandies at chuffing fags at HT.

Go then. Tell us HOW we demand better. What does it even mean? Using words like "failed" in relation to a EL campaign we lost in the final is just daft. Mind numbingly fcuking stupid.

What do you actually mean? Get the hankies out like they do in Madrid?

Boo louder?

Or maybe support them?

If you forget about what Celtic achieved that year then yes it was to an extent.

Winning a two horse race will never match getting to the later stages of European football.
If you forget about what Celtic achieved that year then yes it was to an extent.

Winning a two horse race will never match getting to the later stages of European football.
So 1978/79 was a successful season too? After all we did reach the q/fs of the European Cup?

Tell that to the Rangers support at the cessspit on Mon May 21st, 79.

"demand bigger and better"

It's always the same posters who lap this shite up aswell and start rhyming off teams from the 60s when guys were drinking brandies at chuffing fags at HT.

Go then. Tell us HOW we demand better. What does it even mean? Using words like "failed" in relation to a EL campaign we lost in the final is just daft. Mind numbingly fcuking stupid.

What do you actually mean? Get the hankies out like they do in Madrid?

Boo louder?

Or maybe support them?
Tell us what's wrong with wanting to win the league and do well in Europe, like we have the past four seasons?

Why should it have to be one without the other?

So 1978/79 was a successful season too? After all we did reach the q/fs of the European Cup?

Tell that to the Rangers support at the cessspit on Mon May 21st, 79.

If we got to the q/f of next seasons champions league and won the Scottish cup i would be happy. I obviously want to win the league but for too many people it’s all that matters. They’d be quite happy getting pumped out of europe in august as long as we won a league that nobody out of this backwater cares about

Isn't success about how many trophies we win?

I don't really judge success on how many million we made, or if our fans behaved at a European away match.

If you asked a Celtic fan if they'd be happy with a Scottish Cup at the start of the season they'd piss themselves, and rightly so.

I do blame Gerrard's timing of leaving for blowing our first chance at silverware this season, but not kicking on and winning the league was criminal.
Piss themselves? I don’t think so. They won Fck all last year remember.

Modern football isn’t just down to trophies. I’m old fashioned I valued yesterday massively for loads of reasons . But I also realise that certainly for clubs like ourselves , going deep in Europe has become absolutely critical to our financial well being and future.

I don’t see how you can say that £35 million and all the other reasons above means we have “ nothing to show for it” . It’s just not the case. We didn’t get the trophy in our hands but we gained massively as a club and as a fan base on and off the park.

Along with stopping “ the 10 “ winning 55 and season 1992/93 for me this season in Europe is up there with my finest watching us and I’m old.

Of course if you only count trophies as success then you could pick a season we won the league cup and Scottish and got papped out of Europe in round 1 and deem it more “ successful”.

I guess that’s down to individual interpretation.

If we got to the q/f of next seasons champions league and won the Scottish cup i would be happy. I obviously want to win the league but for too many people it’s all that matters. They’d be quite happy getting pumped out of europe in august as long as we won a league that nobody out of this backwater cares about
I don't see it that way, especially this season just past as the stakes for winning the league was so important to us at this time for financial reasons.

As for me personally as a fan, you've got me wrong, I want the league and regular participating in the latter stages of European competition every season.

See to all those saying yes, 2003, they reached the uefa cup final, took the league to the last day, reached the league Cup final and I've no recollection of what they did in the Scottish Cup. But they reached the Eufa cup final. So did they have a successful season? Did they fùck. Cos bottom line, we won 3 trophies that season and they got nowt.
That barometer is used by many when deciding if a season has been successful or no. They won 2 this season, 1 of which was practically gift-wrapped by us, and we've won 1

I don't see it that way, especially this season just past as the stakes for winning the league was so important to us at this time for financial reasons.

As for me personally as a fan, you've got me wrong, I want the league and regular participating in the latter stages of European competition every season.

I’m not necessarily saying you but there are lots of fans of rangers who said they would rather win the league than the Europa league. Too many only care about pipping Celtic to titles rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Our euro run will now make us a far more attractive option to players.

I’m stuck in the middle.

Domestically pretty dreadful, Scottish cup aside. Getting pumped in semi against Hibs and allowing a 12 point swing in the league to a Celtic team we beat by 25 points, who had a new manager and almost full new squad.

Europa run has been outstanding though and getting our first Scottish cup in 13 years.

Haha the Gerrard "wan in 9" mob should have the fcuking bunting out! Scottish Cup the biggest trophy in football apparently!

Absolute pish.
Maybe you are not a Rangers fan, just some entitled fan that thinks we have the right to win everything because we are Rangers.
Pish.

If you think winning only the Scottish cup every season is good enough for us then you’re supporting the wrong club.

A successful season is objectively based on what you’ve won. Yeah we got to a Euro final, but we lost, so who gives a %^*&.

Couldn’t care less about any competition that we enter if we don’t win it, it doesn’t matter a bit unless it’s won.

No.

Threw away the league to an average scum team

Humiliated in LC semi

Failed miserably to qualify for CL against an average Malmo

Great run in UEL up until the final where they put in a poor performance

Won SC but another poor performance in the final.

Way, way short of acceptable.
This has to be a wind up.

See to all those saying yes, 2003, they reached the uefa cup final, took the league to the last day, reached the league Cup final and I've no recollection of what they did in the Scottish Cup. But they reached the Eufa cup final. So did they have a successful season? Did they fùck. Cos bottom line, we won 3 trophies that season and they got nowt.
That barometer is used by many when deciding if a season has been successful or no. They won 2 this season, 1 of which was practically gift-wrapped by us, and we've won 1
They won nothing that season we won the treble.

It’s strange to me that you think it’s comparable.

This is a successful season for Rangers. On and off the pitch it’s been remarkable.

Football landscape has also changed massively even since 2003- it’s nearly 20 years ago ffs.

Completely disagree.

So by your reckoning winning the League Cup would be better than getting to the Europa League Final?
Don't think I've ever said winning the league Cup would be better than getting to the Europa League Final.

Winning the league is what matters for Rangers.

What I can say, it has been a memorable season. Probably one of the most memorable ones ever for the Europa League run but overall it hasn't been a success with losing on Wednesday and surrendering the league for a myriad of reasons.

Back