The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Glen Kamara links, if you get him moved on, I would look at Beni Baningime. Very similar players.

We absolutely need that mobility & speed about the park that Glen provides if he leaves. No other midfielder in the squad adds that.

I saw Beni in their 2.1 match with Celtic & he was excellent that night. Just not sure how reflective that is of him, but he is 23yo, so will have scope to progress.

With the Glen Kamara links, if you get him moved on, I would look at Beni Baningime. Very similar players.
Are there any actual links for Kamara?

He has one of the longest contracts in the squad (2025 I think?). It would cost any buying team an absolute fortune.

Probably asked similar in recent years, so apologies, but with the season done now I'm curious to hear what people think on it.

If Rangers were to say "we're going in far heavier on youth development" and replaced Balogun with Mayo, Davis with McCann, and if sold Aribo with Lowry, would you be a fan of that move?

(Players used are just examples, others are obviously possible)

I'm not just meaning have them in the squad, I mean giving them serious game time, just like the players they're replacing. Are we going to say "next season is too important" again?
In terms of bringing through younger players to start most weeks, bedding in one or two a season should be the maximum, in my opinion, with possibly another one or two in and around the squad.

Not just next season that's too important, this is Rangers and we need to challenge for every domestic honour as a minimum, as well as having a decent European run, every single year.

The expectancy from our support on a side with 4/5 younger players starting regularly, will still be the same as if it was 11 experienced pros. That expectancy could see some, if not all of the young guns sink at the club if we fell too far behind in the league and exited cups at Semis etc.

Besides, the younger players will develop more playing alongside better, more experienced players.

As it stands, I'm expecting to see Lowry start most weeks next season, with Charlie McCann involved a bit more than this season. I reckon King will also get more starts domestically and feature even more off the bench.

I personally don't think anyone outside of that group is quite ready for the step up to the first team, although we could see the likes of Mckinnon, Devine etc feature in cup ties against lower league opposition - that's if they're not sent out on loan to other Premiership or decent Championship sides.

We absolutely need that mobility & speed about the park that Glen provides if he leaves. No other midfielder in the squad adds that.

I saw Beni in their 2.1 match with Celtic & he was excellent that night. Just not sure how reflective that is of him, but he is 23yo, so will have scope to progress.
He was great at the start of the season Grigo.

I think the second half of the season was littered with injuries but I'd have to double check.

We need to ensure our most valuable players (in terms of potential transfer fees) have more than 2 years remaining on their contracts, otherwise we need to consider selling before they get to the last year of their contract.
With player power it's easy for them to play out their final year to get a move that best works for them (but not us). It's also difficult to sell in a January.

I'm ok with the situation with Goldson because we were never aware of any interest to buy him for £10m+.

Looking at the list of contract expiry dates I'd be focused on extending contracts for:
Bassey;
Morelos;
Kent;
Aribo;
and maybe Hagi

If none of them are willing to commit we should be looking at selling because that is a lot of value that could be lost for nothing.

There are a few others we should look to renew this summer, but they hold less financial risk than these ones.

Can we at least have a couple of weeks without all this then once we have reset start to look at what we might do come then window.

It’s going to be a long summer if people are starting to speculate already.

When is it the window opens?
Listen to you telling fans not to talk about transfer rumours :))

The fear ? He looks good to me, right ?

Then again it's a youtube compilation so...
The only thing I can think of that might be giving him the fear is he does seem to palm the ball straight out to the opposition a number of times. Other than that some great saves in that compilation and he seems to be a good pen stopper too.

Cole McKinnon might be that Lewis Ferguson type that everyone wants.

When you see Gundogan offer so much at City with those goalscoring runs from deep, it's understandable for folk to want us to have that & Ferguson is probably the one player that we know (& could possibly afford) who can make they runs.

Also, I'm not saying they are even in the same planet with regards to ability before anyone starts.
I haven't seen much of Cole, but the way that he took his goal against Hearts was excellent. Any striker would've been proud of that control and finish.

I think it's unrealistic to think Lowry can just go straight in to do what Aribo has. Aribo played more football than anyone in Europe. There's still a step between Lowry and Aribo that we have to bridge. Whilst developing our players is important, I think you do them a disservice by placing that much importance on them right away.

Do I think Lowry should be taking Ramsey's place in the squad though? Yes, that's more realistic.

Maybe McCann could take the place of Davis but I'd still like to keep Davis and I'm not sure McCann is at the level yet either. Don't think Mayo will be with the team at the end of the summer.
Lowry will have to learn to work back the way before he keeps a first-team place, he's a very good player with a good eye for a goal but this team's ethic is hard work he will have to be prepared to do that as well.

Still think they will spend 10m or so to replace Rogic & a couple of other players.

They will be selling Ajeti, Barkas, Jullien amongst others which will also pull in some sort of fees.

10 million to replace a carthorse that only shows up for 60 minutes 4 times, if that, a season. Hopefully, you're right.

As for pulling in fees for the others, I think they'll be happy to get them off the wage bill first and foremost. Any fees would be a bonus for them but not the main goal.

Still think they will spend 10m or so to replace Rogic & a couple of other players.

They will be selling Ajeti, Barkas, Jullien amongst others which will also pull in some sort of fees.
Ajeti and Barkas will cost them money to get shot of. They'll have to be pay-offs.

They'll get money for Jullien, but it won't be anything close to what they paid (£7.5m!)

Reactions: DJT
Squad filler for me mate. Doesn't displace anyone in our strongest 11 which is what this summer needs to focus on.
Totally agree ,but I definitely think he’d add to the over all squad
Something I’d never thought I’d say until I actually watched him last season a couple of times

As stupid as it sounds, far easier to replace Aribo and Kamara than Kent and Morelos.

Not stupid at all mate. There are 3 MF slots up for grabs in Gios systems, 2 sitting or playmakers and an attacking midfielder. Morelos is unique, certainly in Scotland and so is Kent. Won't be easy but for the money available to rebuild finding replacements for Kamara and Aribo is a damn site easier.

I would have Kenny MacLean and gilmour if aribo and kamara go. And Davis don't get offered a new deal.
Gilmour isn’t coming.

As for the people quoting Kenny Maclean, Lewis ferguson and Nisbet as possible signings , I’ll ask them this - do you want to go back to early round European knockouts ?

If we want to continue our European journey and remain consistent we need to stop thinking about average footballers.

Last edited:
The ones mentioning Nisbet and Baningime do realise that both players are out for the foreseeable with serious injuries?

Nisbet has another 7+ months out. Baningime had surgery on his crucial knee ligaments in April and was looking at 9 months out.

Thankfully neither will be targeted.
Neither they should be.

The premium Rangers would have to pay for them, or any SPL player is ridiculous.

We can do better than Kenny McLean. Maybe in 2018/2019 that's the type of signing we'd go for, but there's much better out there now. He's also on the wrong side of 30.

Kenny McLean is an absolute Coo of a midfielder who happens to be a Rangers fan.

Would be better off with Ferguson if that’s the case.

Reactions: DJT
Surprised we’ve not been linked with
Kenny Maclean
Especially after Norwich being relegated
I know he's a good guy but it's not like he's out of contract so why is it surprising? Is he really that good that it's surprising Rangers aren't bidding at least a few million to secure him, at 30 years old, after a poor season? I'd be hoping for a younger and better player tbh.

Some exciting players out of contract soon on list some poster posted
the lad that plays up front for Arsenal and Madrid midfielder and few names mentioned on here

Ajeti and Barkas will cost them money to get shot of. They'll have to be pay-offs.

They'll get money for Jullien, but it won't be anything close to what they paid (£7.5m!)
Think they will still gather some sort of fee for Ajeti & Barkas both back in there retrospective countries where there stock is still OK. Although it will be minimal.

Much like ourselves with Itten.

I know he's a good guy but it's not like he's out of contract so why is it surprising? Is he really that good that it's surprising Rangers aren't bidding at least a few million to secure him, at 30 years old, after a poor season? I'd be hoping for a younger and better player tbh.
Didn’t realise he was 30 years of age for some reason I thought he was much younger

Only way I could see Lewis Ferguson happening is if there was player swap involved. Itten plus cash or something.

Lewis Ferguson will seemingly be the next Alan Smith. Too bad that the former is still that young and this might go on for another half-decade.

I would assume that Gio will plunder the Dutch, Belgium and similar European markets for talented players, aside from some faces familiar with the Scottish/British game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back