The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Ross Stewart, he's a good player with a terrific workrate. He'd undoubtedly be a step down from Alfie whenever the Buffalo is absent but as a squad member, his contribution would dwarf the likes of Itten and even Roofe given his injury record.

Ultimately though, the time to get him was when he was leaving County as the fee to bring him back to Scotland would be more than what we should be paying for someone who isn't a first choice pick.

Would it be harsh to say he looks a better finisher than Alfie ?

Does anyone remember the young player we were linked with, who ended up signing for Osijek and we thought that was to develope him before coming here? Was early Gerrard if I remember.

Tierney was part of a record breaking defence for the most abysmal record ever in the CL. I don’t really know how that could be seen as a positive.
To be fair, clubs scouting prospective players have a more fine-tuned grasp of how they are analysing a player’s ability and potential than the simplistic approach punters on forums do.

Tierney was always a very good young player with a lot of potential and Arsenal were spending EPL money on a player they had a future vision for. Any time I’ve looked at comments, he seems pretty well liked/regarded down there.

Tierney wasn't just based on SPFL form. He'd shown up well in Europe and internationally at that point, even in a team that was struggling at that level.

And it was also a reputation built over a longer time than Bassey has managed so far. He certainly could get there that way.

I just don't see us getting as much as that - I hope I'm wrong, if he's to be sold. My personal preference would be that he's a Rangers player for the rest of his career!
What about the time that's past since that move went through?

Bassey also has the benefit of being part of an English teams home grown quota does he not?

We should be getting more than 20 million. Especially with Goldson leaving on a free.

If Kent and Morelos don't sign new deals they also need to go. Could be looking at 80/90m coming in for transfer fees this summer if they all go.
We'd have to replace our entire starting 11 given the suggestions on here. Hope a few sign new contracts and we don't get any more Goldson type situations but losing 7 first team players in the one go is highly risky, given Wilson and GVB lack of experience.

What about the time that's past since that move went through?

Bassey also has the benefit of being part of an English teams home grown quota does he not?

We should be getting more than 20 million. Especially with Goldson leaving on a free.

In terms of the time, can I ask what you mean there?

In that time we've had the pandemic and the ar*e fall out of that market for players in the ten to thirty million range. The richest clubs aren't spending as much and more money went out of the game than ever.

I'm not sure if the top leagues are going to bounce back to normal just yet. Proof will be in the pudding I suppose.

We'd have to replace our entire starting 11 given the suggestions on here. Hope a few sign new contracts and we don't get any more Goldson type situations but losing 7 first team players in the one go is highly risky, given Wilson and GVB lack of experience.
Absolutely, far too risky. I also think a lot of people forget that although this team took their eye off the ball with the league, this group of players managed to get to a Europa League final taking the scalps of some big names along the way. I don't think we need to change too much but if big bids come in for individuals we may be forced to sell.

In that time we've had the pandemic and the ar*e fall out of that market for players in the ten to thirty million range. The richest clubs aren't spending as much and more money went out of the game than ever.

I'm not sure if the top leagues are going to bounce back to normal just yet. Proof will be in the pudding I suppose.

Has it? aren't they re the richest clubs?

January in the EPL suggests they are well on the way to bouncing back

_123071779_28cf68a3-6ca8-414a-8768-c23ea5543761.png

Last edited:

Time meaning. Since then Bassey has been part of a team who have won their domestic league for the first time in ten years, part of a team that got to a major European final, man of the match in said final and can play more than one position and suits a three at the back, a formation that is very in style at the moment. Absolutely crucial player to us and massive scope for development, seems like a lad that's easy to coach as well and not a prik of a boy.

Im not so sure they will. They adore him and value him at 2 or 3 times what they played. Their fans have also asked for him to be made captain. Remember that 25m down south is hee haw. They will be extremely happy with their outlay.
Why would fans be begging for a player to be made a captain who has played about half the games available? With the greatest respect, sounds like a lot of pish.

Have you watched a lot of him? His record is good at that level and he's been called up to the Scotland squad but would he be a good signing for us?

He's very mobile for a big guy and knows where the goal is. That's good enough for me. I reckon he'd thrive in our team.

Has it? aren't they re the richest clubs?

January in the EPL suggests they are well on the way to bouncing back

_123071779_28cf68a3-6ca8-414a-8768-c23ea5543761.png

Hopefully in that case! I don't have all the evidence to hand for previous years sadly, but many of the clubs in the Premiership spent next to nothing (Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, Leeds, West Ham, Southampton, Norwich, Man Utd) and the figures were inflated as new managers were given some money to spend (Villa, Everton, Newcastle).

Most of the clubs didn't go as high as £20m in spending in January. It's not the time you tend to see huge amounts spent, but it does give some indication of how that graph is skewed by a few big deals rather than a general trend.

Bassey likely needs another 6 - 12 months before anyone pays 25m for him IMO. Hope I am wrong.

There are risks of course waiting another 6 -12 months,.

1. His contract will be less and devalue him if he doesn't sign a deal. Therefore a new contract is s must if keeping beyond this summer.

2. No Connor Goldson. Does ever changing centre back partners hinder his form and development? e.g Danny Wilson looked unreal prospect but when Davie Weir was no longer there to guide, he fell apart. I am in no way comparing Bassey with Wilson but a young player like Bassey could really have done with another 12 months next to CG!

It's all if's and buts but if someone is willing to pay 20m plus for Bassey this summer then we really need to start the player trading model and deal.

Hopefully in that case! I don't have all the evidence to hand for previous years sadly, but many of the clubs in the Premiership spent next to nothing (Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester, Leeds, West Ham, Southampton, Norwich, Man Utd) and the figures were inflated as new managers were given some money to spend (Villa, Everton, Newcastle).

Most of the clubs didn't go as high as £20m in spending in January. It's not the time you tend to see huge amounts spent, but it does give some indication of how that graph is skewed by a few big deals rather than a general trend.

Those teams spent next to nothing in January or just last season?

Arsenal spent as much as anyone last summer, Chelsea bought Lukaku for about 100 million, Man U bought Sancho for about 75 million and signed Varne and Ronaldo - Leicester and West Ham spent about 60 million last summer

Look at what Barca and spending and what PSG chucked at Mbappe.

If it wasn't for the PR damage it would have caused during Covid none of these teams would have given a f*ck about spending money

If teams generally act the same in January, it probably suggests the graph just follows the trend of teams and how they conduct their business in January

Bassey likely needs another 6 - 12 months before anyone pays 25m for him IMO. Hope I am wrong.

There are risks of course waiting another 6 -12 months,.

1. His contract will be less and devalue him if he doesn't sign a deal. Therefore a new contract is s must if keeping beyond this summer.

2. No Connor Goldson. Does ever changing centre back partners hinder his form and development? e.g Danny Wilson looked unreal prospect but when Davie Weir was no longer there to guide, he fell apart. I am in no way comparing Bassey with Wilson but a young player like Bassey could really have done with another 12 months next to CG!

It's all if's and buts but if someone is willing to pay 20m plus for Bassey this summer then we really need to start the player trading model and deal.
Don’t agree with that, he’s just made the Europa League TOTY and has a League and Scottish Cup winners medal.

Realistically there’s not a massive amount more he can do outside of remain at his level.

Those teams spent next to nothing in January or just last season?

Arsenal spent as much as anyone last summer, Chelsea bought Lukaku for about 100 million, Man U bought Sancho for about 75 million and signed Varne and Ronaldo - Leicester and West Ham spent about 60 million last summer

Look at what Barca and spending and what PSG chucked at Mbappe.

If it wasn't for the PR damage it would have caused during Covid none of these teams would have given a f*ck about spending money

In January, which was what that graph was referring to.

There weren't as many of the signings in that range I mentioned over football in general the last couple of years. Barcelona are spending now, but they didn't have any money to throw around until late on. The money going to Mbappe is going out of the game - PSG brought in a number of players and didn't spend a penny on transfers. Those are the sort of clubs we need to be throwing money around for it to filter our way.

If they've all recovered, excellent. I just can't say for certain either way as it stands.

Some people on here seem to think we’re selling our whole team. We will sell some players but there’s not a chance we sell Kamara, bassey, Morelos, kent, aribo all in the one summer. I think this summer we will sell bassey and aribo. I think Morelos and kent will both sign extensions and Kamara will be used as a good back up midfielder.

Selling bassey and aribo would allow us to rebuild the team in key areas like a first choice rw, two new cb’s, new left back, starting sitting midfielder to replace jack.

On top of that it would be good to bring in a striker who can stay fit and would provide some goal scoring to compete with Morelos, especially in the league were Morelos’s goal scoring isn’t great.

In January, which was what that graph was referring to.

There weren't as many of the signings in that range I mentioned over football in general the last couple of years. Barcelona are spending now, but they didn't have any money to throw around until late on. The money going to Mbappe is going out of the game - PSG brought in a number of players and didn't spend a penny on transfers. Those are the sort of clubs we need to be throwing money around for it to filter our way.

If they've all recovered, excellent. I just can't say for certain either way as it stands.

January was just to evidence that clubs in the EPL very much are spending and going to spend as much as they ever did

In the 10-30 million range?

Odegard, 30 million, Ramsdale 25 million, Tomiyasu 16 million, Lokonga 15 million, Beundia 30 million, Bailey 28 million, Digne 27 million, Ings 26 million, Ajer 14 million, Mwepu 20 million, Cucurella 16 million, Cornet 13 million, Guehi 21 million, Anderson 15 million, Eduard 14 million.

I am just at C here, I can go on.... there was an absolute raft of transfers last summer in the EPL in the 10-30 million range, and that is just in the EPL, christ Celtic sold 3 players in that price range during the Pandemic.

I’m not wading into the whole Ferguson thing for the 100th window in a row, but all I’d say is don’t underestimate our ability to quickly improve a player who has the basics.

I was thinking that myself especially with Sunderland getting promoted they will want a decent fee, But it’s defo true about enquiring, how far discussions went I don’t knows
We can't build a full squad of better level players. Ross Stewart is a good player, seems to be developing late as such, and would be happy and committed as a squad player looking to force his way in.

We won't get someone as good as Morelos to come here and accept that sort of role, so you have to take a bit of a chance on players like this if you want a strong squad.

He'd surprise a few of our fans, from everything I've seen of him at Ross County and the little since he moved to Sunderland.
Wouldn’t be against this at all and I think he would contribute over the course of a season.

Agreed, we cant let any more than 3 first team regulars leave, it would be too much of a rebuild if 7 first team players were to leave.

Some people on here seem to think we’re selling our whole team. We will sell some players but there’s not a chance we sell Kamara, bassey, Morelos, kent, aribo all in the one summer. I think this summer we will sell bassey and aribo. I think Morelos and kent will both sign extensions and Kamara will be used as a good back up midfielder.

Selling bassey and aribo would allow us to rebuild the team in key areas like a first choice rw, two new cb’s, new left back, starting sitting midfielder to replace jack.

On top of that it would be good to bring in a striker who can stay fit and would provide some goal scoring to compete with Morelos, especially in the league were Morelos’s goal scoring isn’t great.

Not sure which of the players you name will stay or go, but i certainly agree with the premise. We wont be selling 5 or 6 of our best players in one summer.

Likeliest to stay, in my opinion, are Kent and Bassey, maybe Alfie.

In my opinion Bassey only goes if we get a truly obscene offer.

Not sure which of the players you name will stay or go, but i certainly agree with the premise. We wont be selling 5 or 6 of our best players in one summer.

Likeliest to stay, in my opinion, are Kent and Bassey, maybe Alfie.

In my opinion Bassey only goes if we get a truly obscene offer.
I think if we receive a bid of around £25 million we would sell bassey

Just read an interview with Alan Hutton saying hes spoken to Goldson a few times and thinks nothing has been decided with him and still a chance he will stay. Would be a boost.
That would be some turnaround considering we're all pretty much resigned to him leaving. I'm all for him staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back