The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people really judge Ryan Kent on his assist and goal stats?

Surely using your eyes is enough?

He goes and his replacement won’t be a patch on him.

My only criticism of Kent is his shooting/composure. It’s poor.

vs. Jota. You can’t compare them. Ryan Kent is by far the better, all round player who delivers on the big stage.
Yeah, its erratic to say the least ... if he had that in his game he would still be at Liverpool though ... the only reason we were able to get him in the first place is that he has flaws in his game that needed to improve

Love him as a player but he can be frustrating at times too

So he has contributed to 25 goals, Kent has 3 goals and 20 assists, so has contributed to 23 in "stats" alone

Kent had goals or assists against the favorites to win the Europa League, and then in a European last 16, Quarter and Semi, so you are right, it's not even remotely comparable the outlet of one 7 million pound player v the other.

Kent also doesn't get an assist for the massive role he played in our goal v that shower of p*sh in the Semi when he is leaving half their team in the dust to split their defense in bits.
Didn't actually know his assists were that high to be fair pretty decent.. but goal return is a big concern..

vs. Jota. You can’t compare them. Ryan Kent is by far the better, all round player who delivers on the big stage.

These people know nothing about the game

However we simply must find more goals from our team outwith Morelos in order to win titles

I don't really want to sell Bassey, but if we're offered £20-25m for him then I wouldn't stand in his way. Ideally that would allow us to bring in at least 5 starters across the pitch (LB, CB, CM, RW, CF).
If we can get £20m for Kamara and Aribo combined I'd be happy with that (we're not getting more than £10m for Aribo in the last year of his contract).

Haven't heard any rumours but I'd love to sign Solbakken from Bodo/Glimt.

Yeah, its erratic to say the least ... if he had that in his game he would still be at Liverpool though ... the only reason we were able to get him in the first place is that he has flaws in his game that needed to improve

Love him as a player but he can be frustrating at times too

Mo Salah is frustrating at times and I’m not even a Liverpool fan.

That’s football.

Kent’s off the ball movement, work rate and desire is top notch. He’s a threat whether he’s got the ball or not.

I suppose we could sell Kent and replace him with someone like Charles-Cook who’s got numbers (for the first time in his career). Some on here would be delighted with that.

We really need signings who are starting 11 players.
From last season's two transfer windows, only Lundstram can be considered a signing that is a starting eleven player.

The previous season to that the arguments can be made for Roofe, Hagi and Bassey. Although Roofe can be seen as back up to Morelos, when fit there is no reason that we don't find a way to start him. Hagi has his critics but both Gerrard and Gio always turned to him. Hagi can also be argued as the previous season again, when we initially loaned him. And let's be honest, nobody expected Bassey to become a first name on the team sheet when we signed him, but he is (so included).

We should aim to add another three players who are starting eleven players (excluding key players we may sell and need to replace with starting eleven players). Also, ideally players who have better luck with injuries. Then, I'll be satisfied with our transfer window.

I guess what I'm saying is; it has been a couple of seasons where we have failed to significantly improve the starting team, and this is a perfect opportunity considering the money accumulated from Europe, Patterson sale, and the management team compensation.

Didn't actually know his assists were that high to be fair pretty decent.. but goal return is a big concern..

He generally does big things at big times during games of football TBH.

I would take his output last season for instance over the goal return of Roofe or Sakala, Tav scores a lot of goals because of Kent.

We score a lot of goals coming from overloads after the ball goes left to right because players have been dragged into the area Kent plays.

Football is also about the process of how you get the ball to a place for players to score a goal

Looking at Rothwell's stats he's not exactly a goal scoring midfielder.
Do we really need another defensive mid?
I’ve not seen much of him but as I understand it he’s not a defensive midfielder. He’s very good at dribbling which is an unusual talent for a centre mid, with 10 assists and 3 goals last season he’s more creative than he is a goalscorer though.

It seems that Joseph Okumu, the Elfsborg CD we were credited with an interest last season, and who is now at Gent, is interesting Arsenal & that lhot.

I thought he ticked a lot of boxes & after missing out on Doekhi I hope we pursue him.
Would be a decent signing Grigo despite being right footed he's spent a lot of time at LCB would be a good foil for Souttar at the back wonder what sort of fee is getting talked about if Arsenal and Dortmund are being talked about

In the absence of any actual names - and the frankly sectionable suggestions of Scotch jobbers and hammer throwers - I’ll throw a name in - Yarmolenko has just been released by West Ham. Has always looked semi-decent.

Would be a decent signing Grigo despite being right footed he's spent a lot of time at LCB would be a good foil for Souttar at the back wonder what sort of fee is getting talked about if Arsenal and Dortmund are being talked about

It’s saying 3-4m KGR, but wasn’t that what fee he joined Gent for ? Seems a bit low.

In the absence of any actual names - and the frankly sectionable suggestions of Scotch jobbers and hammer throwers - I’ll throw a name in - Yarmolenko has just been released by West Ham. Has always looked semi-decent.
Would be a pretty decent signing, but i would guess he will prob go to China/US for one last payday. He has also struggled with injury's last few seasons, and has a tendency to go missing in games.

I think to solely judge him on either would be naive. He needs to hit certain levels in both the baseline figures & the other areas you speak of. All his other work doesn't mean much in the league if his poor final ball makes us unable to kill teams off.

That’s football.

Kent’s off the ball movement, work rate and desire is top notch. He’s a threat whether he’s got the ball or not.

I suppose we could sell Kent and replace him with someone like Charles-Cook who’s got numbers (for the first time in his career). Some on here would be delighted with that.
Mind blowing somebody would try and use Salah in defence of Kents lack of goals.

Even more mind blowing is your attempt to make out we would replace Kent with a Ross County player.

That’s football.

We should see if we can Hodson back too.

That's the fee he went to Belgium for you'd imagine if he's impressed this season they'll want a bit of profit on him

You’re right.

Just found another article & seemingly Dortmund have registered interest.

He was 25 yesterday, so still young for a CD, but he’s 6’4”, good on the ground & has pace too, so even if we had to go to 5m or so, if we lose Bassey we should still consider him ?

We need quality next season.

Edit - He seemingly won MOTM when Gent won the Belgian Cup Final last week.

Last edited:
It seems that Joseph Okumu, the Elfsborg CD we were credited with an interest last season, and who is now at Gent, is interesting Arsenal & that lhot.

I thought he ticked a lot of boxes & after missing out on Doekhi I hope we pursue him.
He was one I was keen on

He generally does big things at big times during games of football TBH.

I would take his output last season for instance over the goal return of Roofe or Sakala, Tav scores a lot of goals because of Kent.

We score a lot of goals coming from overloads after the ball goes left to right because players have been dragged into the area Kent plays.

Football is also about the process of how you get the ball to a place for players to score a goal
Exactly this. He occupies opponents regardless if he has the ball or not, creating space elsewhere, add in his work rate and willingness to get back he is arguably our best player.
I understand the frustration at his finishing but if that comes he will be untouchable.
Another player we won't appreciate until he is gone.

You’re right.

Just found another article & seemingly Dortmund have registered interest.

He was 25 yesterday, so still young for a CD, but he’s 6’4”, good on the ground & has pace too, so even if we had to go to 5m or so, if we lose Bassey we should still consider him ?

We need quality next season.
Ship has sailed by the sounds of it.

He scored thirteen goals in the 2020-21 season, he has the ability to do it. But this past season, from that aspect, he has gone backwards. As others have mentioned he has a lot of value in other areas.
Compare and contrast with Jota. There's the reason they're in the CL and we're hoping to qualify.
I appreciate the work Kent does for the team when we're not in possession but his primary role is to create and score goals.

That’s football.

I think Kent and Morelos will sign new improved deals. I’m only saying that (on Kent) because he is a player that has been around a good few clubs already.

We really need to find a Kent type player for the right side of the attack - very frustrating that it’s an area thats needed improved for several years

Aribo was comfortably our best player up to Christmas last year. A period of time that had us in a comfortable lead in the title race. I've no idea why there is this flippancy towards him after a poor second half to the season where he played more football than anyone else in the world. I suspect he will be absolutely flying next year after a break in the summer.
He definitely will come out flying, he started the season great for the past 2 years, sadly getting injured near the start of the 55 campaign, but was doing great. I rate him very highly, he offers a lot both in defense and attack. However I also think that in some games he can be quite ineffective, mostly the games against low block teams in the league. Also his goal numbers have been a bit lower than they should for someone of his skill level, in my opinion

Aribo is a fantastic player, but I just have a feeling that it would be good for both parties, even if we only get 10 million for him we may be able to invest in an attacking midfielder capable of higher numbers. It's not ideal, but we could cope more losing him than either Kent or Morelos I think

Compare and contrast with Jota. There's the reason they're in the CL and we're hoping to qualify.
I appreciate the work Kent does for the team when we're not in possession but his primary role is to create and score goals.

Jota is instructed to get in the box and across the full backs when the ball is on the other-side, it’s where both him and Abada are getting their goals.
I’m not sure Gio gives a similar instruction

Jota is instructed to get in the box and across the full backs when the ball is on the other-side, it’s where both him and Abada are getting their goals.
I’m not sure Gio gives a similar instruction

Kent made that very run in the 1.1 game recently & missed what I thought was a great chance.

His finishing is his number 1 area to improve but I think he’s been great for us, and especially in Europe, where the games a bit more open.

Nah, that's bullsh*t.

Motherwell at home, Kent didn't play = 2 points dropped
Hearts at home, Kent didn't play = 2 points dropped
Aberdeen at home, Kent didn't play = 2 points dropped

6 points dropped in games he didn't even play

Ross County 3-3, Kent sets up a goal and has a massive part in another - we scored f*cking 3 against Ross County
Motherwell at home, Kent created a goal, generally very good - we were 2-0 up at home against Motherwell

4 points dropped in games when he played and helped create goals needed to win us a game

He played a big part in them winning it. I was hoping he would be going somewhere else next season but it doesn't look like it.

I remember a lot of people assuming Lundstram would be Arfield's long-term successor last summer, but in terms of profile, Rothwell is much more similar. Good player.

I think it's a cert he ends up at Bournemouth. They were close to signing him in January and he seems set on the EPL.

The problem with that is that his value has never been higher, and unless we go on a sustained European run next season, and Bassey continues to show, then his stock, and therefore value, will never be higher than it is now.

Being a stand-out in the Scottish League will see bids come in, of course it will. But being a stand-out against top European teams is a level up.

If we want to maximise our return on Bassey, which is absolutely the correct financial approach, then we have to do so now.

What if a CL group were acquired?. What might his stock and value be if he he were a stand out there?

You aren't suggesting that Jota brings more to a team than Ryan Kent? Surely not.

An assist only counts if someone puts it in btw. Kent also gets doubled up on in big games which leaves space elsewhere for others.

Football isn't black and white.

Tom Lawrence linked yes shite source both us and them linked yada yada yada
He'd be a good signing but when you see both us and Celtic linked to a player it automatically feels like agent talk.

That’s football.

There is a reason why Dortmund even in the first leg , tried and failed to suffocate Kent by player numbers.
Every team in Europe recognise his artistry on the ball to create, carry the team up the pitch, we really need to keep him. When the officials protect the rules of the game , he is our MVP next Alfie

If we can strengthen the right hand side suitably then Kents numbers will improve greatly.

Sometimes he has up to 3 people marking him in Scotland which won't happen if they have to devote more attention to our other wing

Even regardless of numbers the workrate he has is amazing and he causes chaos.

Must also be said that he often starts the move but doesn't have the final pass so doesn't get the assist on his record

My only criticism of Kent is his shooting/co.mposure. It’s poor.

Imagine if we had 3 players with Kent's ability and speed playing in the positions behind the striker!

Would allow all of them so much freedom as no team would be able to double up on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back