The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At present, the bare minimum required is two signings if we keep the current squad.

Priority number 1: A quality right sided attacker to provide more balance, as teams are heavily skewed defensively towards Kent. Teams are happy to gamble on our right hand side as the quality isn’t there. We need a goalscorer too in that position.

Priority number 2: An attacking central midfielder who can contribute with goals. The midfield has to start helping out. We can’t be reliant on Morelos again.

Priority number 3: The contract situations. Aribo, Kent and Morelos all with one year left on deals. If contracts aren’t signed, they must go. It would be a travesty to lose money on any of them. Especially Kent, having forked out £7m on him.

Then you’ve got the big asset in Bassey. He’s at peak value right now, having two years left on his contract. The player trading model states we sell him this window and avoid making the same mistake we’ve made with others. We cannot let him run down his contract to 1 year.

Or we can try for a 1 year extension and sell him next summer.

This is by far Ross Wilson’s biggest test of his Rangers career. I would not like to be in his shoes. This either goes to plan or ends in catastrophe.
Completely agree

Yes and no.

They are spending significant amounts each Summer yet are not building anything substantial.

Within 3 years under Gerrard, we got further in Europe that they had in nearly two decades

Do they have any youth coming through in the same manner Patterson did & Lowry is?

From a huge advantage (financial + years), their “model” doesn’t seem to got them too far ahead of us.
They are not to far ahead of us but we have 30m of talent going into it’s last year Bassey will be in same position next season.
we have lot’s of players contracts ending next season who will need replaced Davis shagger arfield McCrorie just to name a few then dead wood like Middleton Simpson etc we had to pay off hastie
I’m hoping youth players step up and save us a fortune in that regard
their rebuild is usually funded by player sales ours needs to be

At present, the bare minimum required is two signings if we keep the current squad.

Priority number 1: A quality right sided attacker to provide more balance, as teams are heavily skewed defensively towards Kent. Teams are happy to gamble on our right hand side as the quality isn’t there. We need a goalscorer too in that position.
This for me, is the only really pressing issue in terms of line up.

Wright and Sakala are fine there as rotational/sub options, both can chip in with goals from time to time, but we need a genuine ‘first choice’ for that area.

The decisions Kent, Morelos and Aribo make on their futures are critical here I suspect. Its probably taking up as much of Wilson's time as anything else in truth because their decisions will decide where we go in the market.

Its always been my belief that we will have £5m-£10m to spend without outgoings. I still feel that way. Swapping Itten for Colak will eat into it slightly but I remain convinced we will spend. There's a big difference though in having up to £10m to spend on tinkering with the squad and, for example, £20m to spend to not only tinker with the squad but replace, for example, 2 of your key players. The transfer strategy would go in a completely different direction I think.

I'd like to think those three and their Agents will be spending a lot of time in Wilson's office this week.
These three players cost us a total of about 8.5 million to bring in.
All three have been great business and if they leave and we make a decent profit then that business becomes even better.

I don't know what will happen with the three players, one may sign a new contract, one may leave now for a decent profit and one may decide to see the last year of his contract out.
Or variations of all three possibilities.
However, the way I see it, we have had a great deal of worth in the transactions already regardless of future outcomes.

I think the club has been well run these last four years and the progress has been both prudent and controlled.
What you cannot control is what happens on the park and we probably should have had a few more cups in the trophy room.
On the other hand, our status in Europe has been a tremendous bonus and the club have single handidly reshaped the profile of Scottish football in that arena.

Within our budget and bearing in mind the scale of the recovery we have had to assemble, the Board and the club, in general, have been a huge success.
That is why I do not understand the anxious tone of this thread.

Seems to me that there are lots of dominoes still to fall in this transfer window. There are three current significant known unknowns as to our cash inflows: (1) potential sales, be that of Aribo, Bassey or others; (2) whether or not we win the first ECL qualifier, which is worth £6m; and (3) whether we win the second ECL qualifier and make it to the ECL group stages.

I suspect we have a transfer budget in place for none of the above happening and for any one of more of them happening.

There is a bit of chicken and egg of course. Do you speculate to accumulate? It is easy to say yes to that, but it isn’t our money which is being speculated. Our season ticket etc money only covers a portion of our costs. All through the Murray days, in particular, we speculated to accumulate. It was mostly fun. But we did a lot of speculating and not much accumulating. And we all know where it ended up.

The squad does need freshened up and I remain confident it will be. We might well need to be a little bit patient however. I suspect we’ll see two or three in the door in the next week or two. But more beyond that I suspect is contingent on how things fall with other cash inflows.

Seems to me that there are lots of dominoes still to fall in this transfer window. There are three current significant known unknowns as to our cash inflows: (1) potential sales, be that of Aribo, Bassey or others; (2) whether or not we win the first ECL qualifier, which is worth £6m; and (3) whether we win the second ECL qualifier and make it to the ECL group stages.

I suspect we have a transfer budget in place for none of the above happening and for any one of more of them happening.

There is a bit of chicken and egg of course. Do you speculate to accumulate? It is easy to say yes to that, but it isn’t our money which is being speculated. Our season ticket etc money only covers a portion of our costs. All through the Murray days, in particular, we speculated to accumulate. It was mostly fun. But we did a lot of speculating and not much accumulating. And we all know where it ended up.

The squad does need freshened up and I remain confident it will be. We might well need to be a little bit patient however. I suspect we’ll see two or three in the door in the next week or two. But more beyond that I suspect is contingent on how things fall with other cash inflows.

Bang on Ald.

So the majority of our starting 11 in a European final have been here for 3 or more years. So what? What's the point?

We all know we need a couple of fresh faces, but that's it. We don't need to gut the entire squad.
The starting 11 in the europa league final cost us 13.5 million and 7 of that was Kent
we have done amazing in the transfer market
we are punching way above our weight knocking out teams with huge budgets and players worth 20 30 40 million
Gio was asked are your team at the end of their cycle
his answer you don’t get to a euro final if your players are at the end do you
fir all we know Gio might be happy with the squad as a whole and maybe he only wants to add one or two

Yeah I’m relaxed about this window but letting Aribo, Kent and Morelos get down to their last year is appalling business.

I’m still astonished that we have people on here and Twitter in reasonably privileged positions trying to claim that losing them for free wouldn’t be that bad.
Losing anyone for nothing, let alone our first team members goes entirely against what our strategy was under Dave King….we set out i previous AGMs that player trading was key goi g forward. If Wilson doesn’t start to achieve this part of the objective then I’m sure the board will need to review this. I’d say we have a week to see business begin in ernest before real scrutiny begins to build.

Tags and Delboy Trotter. Two sides of the extreme when it comes to the fabled FF positivity-slash-negativity spectrum. The Thor and Loki of the forum, if you will.

I don’t mind Delboy - his heart seems in the right place.

There are a few others on this thread, though, that were oddly absent around Leipzig + Sevilla. Whenever they do appear, it’s to criticise every facet of the club while telling us how the other mob are doing. The sheer joylessness must be exhausting.

Do you think the board have a spare £20 million that they don't want to spend?
Yes.

There's a limit, it gets to the stage where they're just throwing money away with no hope of the investment coming back...these guys aren't daft, there's a reason they're loaded.

The starting 11 in the europa league final cost us 13.5 million and 7 of that was Kent
we have done amazing in the transfer market
we are punching way above our weight knocking out teams with huge budgets and players worth 20 30 40 million
Gio was asked are your team at the end of their cycle
his answer you don’t get to a euro final if your players are at the end do you
fir all we know Gio might be happy with the squad as a whole and maybe he only wants to add one or two
I don't want to put too much pressure on the young lads coming through, but when we discuss freshening up a very stable and unified set of players that we have at this moment, there is no reason that some of that cannot be accomplished by the progression of those young lads.
If a club like Borussia Dortmund can do this, so can we.

The secret I suggest is bringing young players into an already strong unit where they can flourish without having too much pressure on them.
As a child of the sixties, I watched teenagers like Henderson, Willoughby and Forrest being introduced into a strong Rangers side without any real dramas.

Is be very disappointed like most if we didn’t address the right side attacking problem if I’m honest

Same goes as the past 4 windows we need real qualities turning starters into squad players abs not the other way around

Very impressed with colak and very hopefully the deal gets done as he’s an upgrade on young Cedric

Celtics player selling model began in 2012, the year we imploded. We have only had players worth selling since 2020 (our recruitment started in 2018 under SG). There would have been uproar if we sold players going into 55. So our failure to have a player trading model is only 1 year old (and like 55, selling league champion players and successful Europa league players would have been risky before the UCL qualifiers)

They sold McGeady for nearly £10m 2 years earlier and built the guts of the first Lennon team off the back of it. You can chuck the £3m+ they got for their keeper and captain that summer as well.

They sold McGeady for nearly £10m 2 years earlier and built the guts of the first Lennon team off the back of it. You can chuck the £3m+ they got for their keeper and captain that summer as well.
McGeady came through the ranks so I don't class that as player trading (we did the same with Hutton which allowed us to invest). That's why I never mentioned Patterson either.
We sold GvB (Arsenal record transfer fee at the time) and Cuellar before they thought of a player trading model.
We have Morelos, Kent, Bassey, Kamara and Aribo who are all better than anything they have. Our player trading model is just about to begin.

A club knocked out of 3 UEFA competitions but apparently doesn't need to have any issues with h new UEFA rules. Whilst club that got to final made record commercial money is briefing fan media that we will be spending we have the equivalent of magic beans to spend.

This sh*t about briefing fan media - are you basing that off of Andy's tweets?

Because I can say with 100% certainty none of that came from the club. The big man just loves talking about that sort of stuff!

Because I can say with 100% certainty none of that came from the club. The big man just loves talking about that sort of stuff!
A bit touchy there.

The likes of McFarlane have been pretty much stating there’s not much to spend without outgoings. I know with him it’s stretching the ‘fan’ part of fan media.

Fair enough. To layman like me it just seems a bit strange that they seem to be cash rich with new rules.
Mrs is a trained accountant. Should maybe get her to look at next set of accounts because when I looked at her study notes when she was studying it may well have been Latin for all I understood.

All three have been great business and if they leave and we make a decent profit then that business becomes even better.

I don't know what will happen with the three players, one may sign a new contract, one may leave now for a decent profit and one may decide to see the last year of his contract out.
However, the way I see it, we have had a great deal of worth in the transactions already regardless of future outcomes.

I think the club has been well run these last four years and the progress has been both prudent and controlled.
What you cannot control is what happens on the park and we probably should have had a few more cups in the trophy room.
On the other hand, our status in Europe has been a tremendous bonus and the club have single handidly reshaped the profile of Scottish football in that arena.

Within our budget and bearing in mind the scale of the recovery we have had to assemble, the Board and the club, in general, have been a huge success.
Sorry mate, but there’s absolutely nothing positive about losing those three for nothing.

It would be absolutely horrendous management.

You think reaching the CL groups is beyond reality?
Given we were 20 minutes from pot 1, obviously not.
I never said that or even implied it.

To reiterate, we should have ambitions of playing in the Champions League, I don't think we should expect to be there.

Your post that I replied to initially mentioned "expectations" not possibilities.

We really needed a rebuild this year, we would have (Still could be in fairness) building on solid foundations.

Next year we could potentially be gutted with not a penny to show for it or use in a rebuild.

That is frightening thought.

I think we might still see the start of that ‘rebuild’ AI.

It’s clear we are trying for a RW & Striker.

The next step depends on acceptable bids that arrive ?

If for instance Joe & Borna get acceptable bids we might have 12m from those sales, and at least replacements costing say 7m for them would arrive ?

Roofe might see his playing chances slim if Colak comes & might want to go ? Again, another that would need replaced ?

A bit touchy there.

The likes of McFarlane have been pretty much stating there’s not much to spend without outgoings. I know with him it’s stretching the ‘fan’ part of fan media.
Was he the one that mentioned a net spend figure of a particular amount?

Fair enough. To layman like me it just seems a bit strange that they seem to be cash rich with new rules.
Mrs is a trained accountant. Should maybe get her to look at next set of accounts because when I looked at her study notes when she was studying it may well have been Latin for all I understood.

Andy works in the finance sector and has a lot of knowledge there. He absolutely loves that side of things and likes to try and be realistic about how it will affect the club.

I get wound up by this notion that guys who are just giving opinions, ones they back up, are being led by the club. Andy is in the same position as me when it comes to this - the club don't tell us a thing! There will be a few at H&H who have more direct contact. The rest of us are given absolutely nothing, just like anyone else.

You could maybe write 1 off.But not all 3.

A bit touchy there.

See above - it annoys me. It's insulting to suggest any of us are just saying what the club tells us.

I'm happy to admit I've got plenty wrong when it comes to predictions and opinions regarding Rangers, but I've never once gave one of those based on nothing. I've almost always shown my workings, as such. And that's what Andy done there with that series of tweets.

Fairly obvious that aribo will be the big sale. Remains to be seen for incomings as that would already have been used as leverage you’d imagine ?
I know there is loads of chat about Aribo but unfortunately I would not be surprised if he stays and leaves for free next summer. I would rather he was sold sooner rather than later.

Was he the one that mentioned a net spend figure of a particular amount?
Not sure but it’s absolutely clear that some in fan media have been asked by the club to dampen expectations as far as this windows budget is concerned

To @strider ’s post I’m not saying Andy is one of them.

Sorry mate, but there’s absolutely nothing positive about losing those three for nothing.

It would be absolutely horrendous management.
That is the worst-case scenario.
But it is a possibility that exists beyond the control of management.
When you sign a player on a contract, where are the management prerogatives that allow you the right to break that contract?

It may be that during the course of that contract it becomes mutually beneficial for both parties to break it, but there are no cast-iron guarantees that this should happen, no matter what either party desires in exclusion of the other's interests.

I think it is unrealistic for one of the parties to enter into that contract always with the intention to break it only to their own benefit.

This is modern football and we are just swimming in the same pool as everyone else..

Not sure but it’s absolutely clear that some in fan media have been asked by the club to dampen expectations as far as this windows budget is concerned
None of that will matter, in the medium term. It will depend on what happens on the park; as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back