The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ajax go through peaks and troughs. There has to be a balance
They’ve won 3 out of the last 4 titles in a more competitive league.

We are not sustainable until we start succeeding in this buy low sell high model. That’s why there’s been so much investment in our youth teams and scouting dept.

If we get £20m+ for Bassey it’s the exact blueprint of what we are aiming to achieve. I love the guy too, but from a business side of things selling 2 of our stars a season for high profit would be ideal whilst reinvesting some of it to be competitive.

The same folk that are saying keep Bassey will be the same ones who said we should have cashed in on Alfie when his stock was high.

If we get £25m + and a sell on we should cash in and reinvest in the team.

We wont get a better fee if he only has a year left or gets an injury!

The same folk that are saying keep Bassey will be the same ones who said we should have cashed in on Alfie when his stock was high.

If we get £25m + and a sell on we should cash in and reinvest in the team.

We wont get a better fee if he only has a year left or gets an injury!
Was just about to post similar,

Now is the right time to sell.

How many players recently have gone from the Romanian league to be a success? Man crashed and burned at Parma, Mihaila has been shite, Cicaldau was good at first but has been stinking recently at Galatasaray. It seems a bit of an iffy league to buy from tbh

Was there not a full-back doing well in that league that we were linked with? I seem to remember watching his youtube and he was scoring a few goals from right back I think. At the time we had Tavernier and Patterson so wasn't exactly priority. I can't remember his name but intrigued where he ended up.

We are not sustainable until we start succeeding in this buy low sell high model. That’s why there’s been so much investment in our youth teams and scouting dept.

If we get £20m+ for Bassey it’s the exact blueprint of what we are aiming to achieve. I love the guy too, but from a business side of things selling 2 of our stars a season for high profit would be ideal whilst reinvesting some of it to be competitive.
It also gives us that bargaining chip moving forward in negotiations with other clubs.
Once we’ve successfully sold a few at these high numbers it becomes more normal.

The Bassey situation is pretty fantastic when you think about it, sell now and receive huge cash, allowing us to shore up issues across the entire team. Keep him on for a year and enjoy another season of an up and coming top class player, while still being able to make nice money next year. Been a real bonus for the club

you do wonder if the bassey trasnfer is a lot closer than we think and that our targets have change to guys in a higher price range
If he’s been talking extensively to Ajax then we have known for a few days and the bid must be at a level where we feel it can be negotiated to an acceptable offer.

It has gone very quiet with incomings. It could be that we now have other targets which have become affordable due to the money coming in

You would've been told you were getting carried away if you said they'd get £18 million for Dembele at the time, followed up by saying nobody will ever pay £25 million. The goalposts keep shifting, and the better reputation that we have for developing players, the more they'll go for naturally down the line. Ajax and Benfica didn't start off by selling £100 million players.
When we reached the uefa cup final in Manchester, I don't remember us selling players for loads of money when that campaign finished.

I seriously doubt we'll sell a player above 30 mill the next ten years. Love to be wrong.

Even if we did, the replacement is going to cost us 3 million.

Not talking about the last 4 years mate, they have had this model alot longer than 4 years.

Genuine question. . Would you be happy for us to sell our 4 best players this summer and for them to win the next two leagues before our rebuild takes shape and we crack on?

No one is saying that is a guarantee but that is the sort of cycles Ajax go on

The other way of looking at it is that his next move is a stepping stone to a elite club.

Does he want to compete mid-lower table in the EPL for Brighton or competing for titles and in the Champions League for Ajax? Ajax have an incredible reputation for selling players onto elite clubs (Barca, Juve, Utd etc)

Teams like Brighton are only one bad season away from getting relegated, in which even great players will struggle to look good.
Rangers then Ajax on the CV. Farkin tidy.

Ajax open up moves throughout the whole continent for Bassey.

Depends what he wants and how far ahead he is looking.

Smashes it at Ajax he is looking at an elite level move in any of the 5 top leagues. Could be on 200k easy a week in 2 or 3 years.

Bournemouth and smash it? Top half of the EPL move, maybe top 6. Smash that, maybe then looking at that elite club status move.

If the lad has a heart he signs an extension with us. If he has a brain he signs for Ajax and gets the heed doon, erse up and works his tootsie off for that monster move.

I just hope his advice is right.

Was there not a full-back doing well in that league that we were linked with? I seem to remember watching his youtube and he was scoring a few goals from right back I think. At the time we had Tavernier and Patterson so wasn't exactly priority. I can't remember his name but intrigued where he ended up.
Only decent right back I can think of is Manea but don't remember him ever being linked. He was pretty good against the puddle drinkers a few years ago when they played Cluj.

When we reached the uefa cup final in Manchester, I don't remember us selling players for loads of money when that campaign finished.

I seriously doubt we'll sell a player above 30 mill the next ten years. Love to be wrong.

Even if we did, the replacement is going to cost us 3 million.
With all due respect to that side, we fluked our way there playing backs to the wall stuff and then got horsed in the final. I don't think any of them were young and on the up at that point barring maybe Thomson who was ruined by knee injuries and Davis who swapped the Premier League for us after looking like a promising young talent at Villa. This team presumably had the highest goal average in the knockouts on our way there and then lost on penalties when the tie was a total 50/50. The second line is such a negative comment, with inflation the way it is it's as likely as selling a £10-15 million player now. Proper scouting should see any player going out replaced by someone who cost a fraction of what we brought in and that's where the clubs we want to replicate excel.

People saying would like to keep Bassey another year. Hows that one going to turm out? Do they realise hes got 2 years left then we are in the same situation as Aribo, Morelos and Kent. Take the money now 25m and lets get a replacement in.
At some point in his Rangers career, I'm sure most of us were touting Kamara for a £10-20 million pound move and would've been very upset at the idea of him leaving for any less. Here we are now when his role in the side has been marginalized a bit and most of us would be happy with it. Striking while the iron is hot is going to be crucial if we want to keep developing as a club.

Might have been mentioned already (thread grows too fast to keep up) but if the Ajax link is indeed true, it woukd appear that they see Basseys future as a CB.

Reason being, they signed Owen Wijndal, a left back from AZ Alkmaar (also their captain) for 11 mil yesterday. They also need to replace Lisandro Martinez at CB, who is on the verge of joining Man U.

I wonder how Bassey feels about that? Often wondered where he prefers playing and still think he'll make a better LB than CB in the long run.

Will be gutted to lose him but reluctantly agree that this is the prime selling point on terms of value so no issue with the club if we do cash in as long as price is fair.

Not talking about the last 4 years mate, they have had this model alot longer than 4 years.

Genuine question. . Would you be happy for us to sell our 4 best players this summer and for them to win the next two leagues before our rebuild takes shape and we crack on?

No one is saying that is a guarantee but that is the sort of cycles Ajax go on
It’s not as simplistic as that and selling two players isn’t a rebuild.

Ajax play in a completely different and more competitive league and still maintain a model of success and sustainability.

We hardly spent a penny in the summer Vs them spending the best part of £20m, if not more and we still ran them close and got to a Europa league final.

As a fan I obviously want to achieve success on the park first and foremost, but it cannot be achieved on fresh air. Balance is the key here. Do I think we could sell Bassey and Aribo this window and still win the league? 100% with smart reinvestment of some of that money.

Really excited to see what we do with the money if Bassey does leave.

Will be a shame to see him go but everything makes sense to sell now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back