Match Thread Blackpool v Rangers - Match Thread

Biggest positives were Kamara, Sands, Lundstram and young McCann.

Biggest negative was lack of creativity from Wright and Kent in wide areas but Matondo looked dangerous when he came on.

McCann and Lowry should be ahead of Arfield.
My view was none of McGregor, Davis or Arfield should have been kept.

Davis though I can see being a bit part player and can probably still help given his style of play and position

McGregor, not convinced

Arfield, I just don’t see it and for a number of years I’ve said similar. Every season you’ll get a small run of games he’ll do well in but by and large as an attacking midfielder, he’s below the standard we need

If...which many have already voiced after 45 minutes, that Katic might not stay, then we need to buy a really decent player.
To play beside Goldson.

6-7 million bracket.
Real quality.
And preferably... left sided player.

With Bassey as good as gone, Helander out again, I just don't see the cover we have there.
And don't see Souttar playing all season.
Too much to expect.

Our left side is looking very vulnerable.
At, the moment.

Davis though I can see being a bit part player and can probably still help given his style of play and position

McGregor, not convinced

Arfield, I just don’t see it and for a number of years I’ve said similar. Every season you’ll get a small run of games he’ll do well in but by and large as an attacking midfielder, he’s below the standard we need
I actually think Arfield and Davis changed the game.
We were much more positive when they both came on.

Kamara tried his hardest in first half, but those changed it for me, for the better in the second half.

I wouldn't write either off just yet.

McCann and Lowry should be ahead of Arfield.
McCann and Lowry are both exciting talents, but anyone who knows the game can see how Arfield changed the momentum today. He links play and takes up positions that no one else in blue did today. I am sure both McCann and Lowry will ignore you and be learning from Scottie this season. He isn’t a starter, but he changes how we play. One day the other two might as well, but they are still well behind Arfield.

McGregor, not convinced

Arfield is a good squad player who is versatile and can carry out tactical instructions exceptionally well.

That being said, he shouldn’t be considered a “first teamer”. He’s not good enough to start every week but there’s no doubt he can be a good squad player.

McGregor extension I totally disagree with and the Davis extension I’m not sure about either but both have happened so I hope they perform well this season.

I refuse to believe Zukowski couldn’t have come on for some minutes instead with a slight reshuffle in players positioning rather than wasting minutes on a guy who’ll not be with us in a few weeks time
He got 15 minutes. Also, is Zukowski in Gio’s plans? Tav, King, Devine all playing ahead of him. Wasted minutes for him also.

Some people won't like this, but Katic definitely isn't good enough, and we should go back and talk to Hadjuk, see what they'd pay for him.

Wasn't great in the first half against Sunderland, bombscare at times today.

Think we should look to offload and get another backup in.

He’s rubbish, friendly or not.

Runs like a robot, cannot pass a ball and his positioning and awareness is non existent.

McGregor, not convinced

Arfield and Davis were the best 2 players on the pitch today. First half we had so much possession going absolutely nowhere. Second half Arfield added energy and drive, started pressing and moving their defence around. Davis was playing the same passes as Jack and Kamara but wthout all the dithering beforehand.

Yes it's only pre-season and nether one should be an automatic pick but they are still the most intelligent players we have.

Good workout. Early signs but Matondo looks very exciting. Will be interesting to see how teams will try and keep both him and Kent quiet this season.
Matondo reminds me of Sone Aluko.
Runs with pace, and very direct.
But his end product, must improve.
Hopefully he add this to his game.

If so ...we could sell him on for millions profit.

I see Arfield in the role that Stuart McCall use to have.

Ask players like Laudrup, and Gascoigne, and they will tell you every team needs an McCall/Arfield in their side.

The players that make things happen, but rarely get the credit.

Arfield reminds me more of a Steven Naismith type than a Stuart McCall type.

When I saw other posters talking about Tom I thought he said something daft and borderline racist like black guys being fast or something.

Nothing in what he actually said, the camera would often switch when the ball was up that side and it was impossible to see what was going on.

I thought people would have noticed him sitting in Ibrox commentating wearing his white pointy hood.
Nowt wrong with that, I used to wear one regularly in school

-picture-id953612456

He should be put out on loan for the season with a view of him being included in first team squad next season

No point having him around when he’ll hardly play this season
We have a very condensed calendar in the first half of the season and he could get a good amount of minutes with us in league/league cup to protect Jack.

If he isnt going to be in the mix he needs a loan but at a level that will test him as he is clearly well above B team now

Good run out

However, I don’t get the logic in having Middleton getting game time when it’s clear, even before today, he’s miles away from being at the standard required.

Shop window springs to mind & maybe Gio wants to see if he can get something out him safe way he managed to get something out of Scott Wright?

Things were much more lively in the second half.

A midfield 3 of Lundstram, Jack and Kamara is a bit too negative.

Kamara should be nowhere near the number 10 position domestically and I’ve no doubt Gio already knows that. He’ll have been playing there today just to get minutes into his legs.

Kamara in the number 10 role in Europe though, especially away from home, is intriguing.

A well placed half volley through a sea of players right into the bottom corner. Something that's going to make Gio sit up & take note surely.

We had 3 almost identical chances in the first half from corners that all fell (I think) to Ryan Jack at the edge of the box and he decided against the shot each time.

Anyone know who the sliding defender was at there goal who was desperately trying to block the shot ? Either Leon king or John Souttar I think

Shop window springs to mind & maybe Gio wants to see if he can get something out him safe way he managed to get something out of Scott Wright?
Middletons so far off it though, normally gets punted all over the pitch to make up numbers for the team in friendlies

He’s no where near level required

My opinion -

Souttar looked good when he came on.

Matondo looked fast and dangerous.

Kent was really off it.

Sands can't be the main man at center back alongside Goldson although he didn't play badly.

Goldson picking up exactly where he left off solid as a rock and Tav played well.

We need another option at left back, his goal was fantastic but Borna seems still to be lacking in confidence.

Davis made a huge difference.

Colak and the rest of the team aren't on the same page yet although the finish for his offside goal was very good.

Wright continues to frustrate with great touches and then terrible product.

McCann finish was outstanding and he looks tidy but had a few bad passes too. Certainly doesn't lack in confidence.

Kamara sending people the wrong way with a swivel of the hips is sensational and I could watch it all day. Probably best player first half in a more attacking role.

Crowd were brilliant.

All in all probably a decent exercise for the squad.

Thought Tom's commentary was fine today, apart from the usual "going through the gears" line he always uses.
Thought Katic did fine and still believe he'll shut everyone up if he gets the chance. :shh:
Would be happy to see Kent being sold, I think we could find someone better for the money we'd get.

That's fucking absurd mate. Kent may not always score goals, but his creative build up game is instrumental.

You think we can sell Bassey and Kent and remain competitive on a European front next season?

Batshit.

Back