The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread and others are full of people saying we need to be signing £4 or £5m players and thinking the players we’ve signed are backups. That we still need a quality centre back, goal keeper, striker, attacking midfielder and left back! When everything our club, manager and board says and does shows otherwise yet still they expect it!

We signed a striker for almost £2m yet some people seem to think he’s going to be 3rd or 4th choice as we’re going to get an even better striker.

We brought at prospect from Bayern with an option to buy but people don’t think he’s ready and that he won’t be part of the plans.

We’ve given McGreggor a new contract and kept McLaughlin, rightly or wrongly, and fans think we’re going to spend “a big chunk of the Bassey fee” on a goal keeper.

We have about 50 midfielders on the books yet fans think we are going to sign a £10m “marquee signing” to make the difference.

Everything that has happened the last 5 years has shown we work on a model of signing players for relatively low fees, keep the core together and try and sell for a profit. Even Kent was only signed after we had him a full season and knew he would fit in. £4m appears to be out ceiling and only if we have someone who we know can be a game changer.

Have I missed anything? I just can’t understand how so many of our fans don’t realise these realities!
Mate because lots of bears have differing opinions as to how to improve our squad it doesn't mean the club is obligated to act on all of their suggestions. That said, it is an entirely reasonable expectation that we should reinvest enough to improve the squad overall. It will be down to Gio and Wilson to decide how best to use the budget they are given.

I would keep Roofe.
But only under the condition he goes and gets the same kind of career op that Ryan Jack got.

He may be out for most of the season, but it would be worth it, in the long run.
He has a penalty box striker's instinct.
Which is not always there with every striker.

Then if things didn't improve, we could at least sell him on.
And get a sell on fee.

As things stand, we will get very little, and he will continue to break down no matter which he is at.
May have to retire from the game, and that would be a real shame.In my book.

Was it him who got very physical with Diallo and then ripped up as the wee man adjusted to the tactic ?
Looked a bit exposed out wide but I do have respect for players that make a fist of it and show some ‘spirit’ .
I do recall he scored winner v us at Tannadice and they fought like %^*& that day albeit officials were bent

Wasn’t it the 1.1 game he scored D ?

This thread and others are full of people saying we need to be signing £4 or £5m players and thinking the players we’ve signed are backups. That we still need a quality centre back, goal keeper, striker, attacking midfielder and left back! When everything our club, manager and board says and does shows otherwise yet still they expect it!

We signed a striker for almost £2m yet some people seem to think he’s going to be 3rd or 4th choice as we’re going to get an even better striker.

We brought at prospect from Bayern with an option to buy but people don’t think he’s ready and that he won’t be part of the plans.

We’ve given McGreggor a new contract and kept McLaughlin, rightly or wrongly, and fans think we’re going to spend “a big chunk of the Bassey fee” on a goal keeper.

We have about 50 midfielders on the books yet fans think we are going to sign a £10m “marquee signing” to make the difference.

Everything that has happened the last 5 years has shown we work on a model of signing players for relatively low fees, keep the core together and try and sell for a profit. Even Kent was only signed after we had him a full season and knew he would fit in. £4m appears to be out ceiling and only if we have someone who we know can be a game changer.

Have I missed anything? I just can’t understand how so many of our fans don’t realise these realities!
I don’t really disagree with you, but I think the overall plan is to increase the level of quality in the squad.

Colak is effectively a replacement for Itten and tacitly at least appears to be an upgrade.

The same could also be said of Matondo for the wide right attacking berth Sakala and Wright have been deployed in while both Lawrence and Tillman look like they’ll offer us something different to what we have.

Ultimately when you begin to increase the calibre of player you’re looking at it follows that you increase that level of quality too, so if we were previously looking at guys in the £2-3m bracket and are now shopping in the £4-5m one, we should expect better quality for that higher outlay.

I have faith that the board will get the balance right however and have no great complaints about our business so far.

Surely having Kamara, Lundstram, Davis, Sands and McCann, is ample cover for the Ryan Jack position.

A quality left sided central defender and an equally good left back, are the main priorities, for me.

I've not seen a lot of Ben Davies, but I'm a little concerned that he couldn't hold down a regular spot at a pretty ordinary Sheff Utd.
Possibly yes.

I think after Kamara and Lundstram, with Davis at his age though it’s quite a drop in quality.

Completely agree on the left back and centre half though.

Unless the club docs are aware of something and Roofe's injuries are not clearing up or are going to continue recurring then I don't think we should be entertaining any loan.
Prob still the best finisher at the club but i do get the fact that we need him to be fit to play, we knew if his historybefore we signed him.

Wtf??

I absolutely will not believe that until he has a black and white scarf above his head, and I'll be utterly astounded if that happens. Biggest basket case club in English football right now, and League 1?? The guy is EPL level ffs, his injuries aren't *that* bad
Not really a basket case anymore. They've been bought, are out of administration and have recruited well. They'll be going for promotion.
As for Roofe, he's never played in the top flight down south even at his peak.

Mate because lots of bears have differing opinions as to how to improve our squad it doesn't mean the club is obligated to act on all of their suggestions. That said, it is an entirely reasonable expectation that we should reinvest enough to improve the squad overall. It will be down to Gio and Wilson to decide how best to use the budget they are given.
Don’t get me wrong, I would absolutely love to be able to go out and buy a few £10m players on £50k a week. I’d love to get a replacement as first choice keeper. But I temper my expectations to reflect our financial situation and the league we are in, along with the track record our club have. As a result I’m really happy and quite excited by our business this far.

Those that don’t understand the finances involved or choose not to accept the league we are operating in will never be happy with what we do, and come august will be calling for Wilson’s head and most of the board because they will be disappointed their unrealistic expectations were not met. I don’t think it’s healthy to not be grounded in reality when it leads to the fans getting disgruntled at the management every year.

I really sincerely doubt that Roofe will be at Derby this summer. I can't see them being able to pay his wages and ultimately, despite his injury issues, he's too good for League One

I would call if a refresh and not a rebuild. When I called out those expecting a “rebuild”, McGregor, Goldson, Bassey, Balogun, Barisic, Helander, Katic, Davis, Arfield, Aribo, Kamara, Alfie, Jack, Kent and Roofe were all going in their view! So far only 3 of that list have gone, 4 have had new contracts and maybe 2 more will go. Our starting 11 yesterday only had one new player. That’s not a rebuild
Let’s see who else goes, and still to come in. The manager has already said it could be two players to replace Bassey.

That’s 6 new additions alone if that transpires, and I think we’ll have at least another one on top of that. That’s pretty significant whatever you want to call it.

If Kent and Morelos don’t sign, the club will have a big decision on those two also.

Unless the club docs are aware of something and Roofe's injuries are not clearing up or are going to continue recurring then I don't think we should be entertaining any loan.
Prob still the best finisher at the club but i do get the fact that we need him to be fit to play, we knew if his historybefore we signed him.
Of course we knew the issues with his fitness and injury problems but for the money and wages we have spent £4.5 million and probably around £25,000 a week he just isn't reliable enough fair enough he has scored goals and contributed but you can't have a fragile player like him who can't play 2/3 demanding games a week and is likely to break down at any moment.

We have had some good moments with him but I don't see the player he was at Leeds he genuinely at times has looked a shadow of the player that was regularly ripping up the Championship.

It really is best for all parties we moved him on our transfer business this summer has me confident a suitable replacement can be found.

“If roofe goes we need to replace him”

Most obvious thing in the world and doesn’t even need to be posted ffs
Not really. Last season Itten was out on loan so wasnt an option and we had 2 forwards in the squad. So could argue that Colak is Roofes replacement. If we do bring in a 3rd forward how much game time is he actually going to see? Morelos is first choice and Colak looks like the second choice/ bring on as a sub player that Roofe was. So if we need another forward option then this will likely be a player from another position like Tillman or a young/ youth option who wouldn’t be expecting much game time. I know everyone will point to last season as the reason why we need one, but that was only because Morelos got a season ending injury and Roofe can’t stay fit. If Colak is available as much as a normal non injury prone player then we would have had a forward for the games Morelos was out for.

Don’t get me wrong, I would absolutely love to be able to go out and buy a few £10m players on £50k a week. I’d love to get a replacement as first choice keeper. But I temper my expectations to reflect our financial situation and the league we are in, along with the track record our club have. As a result I’m really happy and quite excited by our business this far.

Those that don’t understand the finances involved or choose not to accept the league we are operating in will never be happy with what we do, and come august will be calling for Wilson’s head and most of the board because they will be disappointed their unrealistic expectations were not met. I don’t think it’s healthy to not be grounded in reality when it leads to the fans getting disgruntled at the management every year.
You are the only poster I have seen suggesting consideration is being given to 10 million transfer fees and 50k a week wages.

You think you might be overreacting a bit?

Are Derby able to splash out the sort of money we’d be looking for though?

I’d guess we’d want at least £3m.
I watched a podcast on YouTube with a Derby fan talking about Tom Lawrence. He said Derby have a wage cap of 8k . If that's the case Roofe ain't going there .

He's younger than Stephen Kelly and already a full cap for the Yanks.

He's knocked King further down the central defence pecking order too, despite it not being his best position.

He's over 6ft, quick and athletic, reads situations well and moves the ball quickly.

Gio clearly likes him and I think he'll continue to progress this season.
At the end of the season, we can then decide whether or not we keep him.

There's no need to make a decision just now.
Fair points.
I just wonder how many minutes he will get, and should it be ahead of our own, if as most people have suggested we have to buy for 4 million?
Although that can be negotiated.
Who knows.

May go to the WC and player of the tournament.
Doubt it... but you never know!

I’ve got Hibs pals who think that the £3m is a great bit of business for them due to how much he’s stalled/went backwards over the last 12-18 months.

I don’t think that it was helped that he was moved into central defence or left midfield under Jack Ross & Shaun Maloney.

Will be interesting how he does in Italy
£3m is very good business for Hibs, I reckon he will progress with Verona.

Colak should be third choice. If we’re replacing Roofe it’s as a 2nd choice behind Morelos (and hopefully pushing Morelos).
First team players don't usually sign based on some sort of pre-determined ranking system - 'X will be first choice, but you'll be second ahead of Y'.

They all back themselves and push each other to earn a place, the way it should be.

Possibly yes.

I think after Kamara and Lundstram, with Davis at his age though it’s quite a drop in quality.

Completely agree on the left back and centre half though.

Tbf mate, you would expect a bit of a drop off for 5th and 6th choice for the position.

That said, both Sands and McCann are young, with plenty development and improvement in them.

Both are already full internationalists too and showed their quality yesterday.

Definitely not the worst options.

A permanent move for Roofe is the best outcome I'm against a loan move purely for the fact we will have to subsidise a hefty part of his wages.

Find a permanent Club take a reasonable fee of around £2-2.5 million and get him off the wage bill.

Someone will take a punt on him we should be putting it out there we are open to offers.
Problem is mate will anyone pay a fee for Roofe due to his injury problems? I genuinely can’t see it. He’s a great player as well.

Like I said it won’t be happening, but it’s where I think we could do with strengthening.

To be fair some clowns on here said we wouldn’t be having a rebuild. Well with Aribo and Bassey gone, and four in the door and more to come I would say they were wrong.
I get why you say five more mate, it just seems mental to think that we would be looking at potentially bringing in 9 new players.

Problem is mate will anyone pay a fee for Roofe due to his injury problems? I genuinely can’t see it. He’s a great player as well.
Well Anderlecht did and so did ourselfs someone will take a punt on him and the same outcome will happen at his next Club.

I hope one of these UAE Clubs comes in for him they can happily pay fees and good wages to pretty much any footballer willing to go over there :D

How have you decided this? Is it because you watch a lot of European football and have seen the majority of his games last season or is it because you’ve made your mind up based on 130 mins that’s he has played for us?
Just from what I seen of him before he signed. Granted it was highlight reels other than the games against us last season but wasn’t overly impressed with anything I seen.

Hope he proves me wrong and bangs them in.

A lot of noise around Davies however the Bassey sale makes LB the priority signing IMO.

Davies would be in the mix to start but would battle it out with the rest for a place next to Goldson.

I think most of would’ve seen Bassey as our starting LB this season with Borna a more than able deputy and plenty of times we’d see Bassey as LCB with Borna outside him.

Really looking forward to see who we bring in to replace him at LB. I’ll throw Puchacz from Union Berlin out there as a suggestion. Was impressed with him for Lech Poznan a few years ago.

I don’t really disagree with you, but I think the overall plan is to increase the level of quality in the squad.

Colak is effectively a replacement for Itten and tacitly at least appears to be an upgrade.

The same could also be said of Matondo for the wide right attacking berth Sakala and Wright have been deployed in while both Lawrence and Tillman look like they’ll offer us something different to what we have.

Ultimately when you begin to increase the calibre of player you’re looking at it follows that you increase that level of quality too, so if we were previously looking at guys in the £2-3m bracket and are now shopping in the £4-5m one, we should expect better quality for that higher outlay.

I have faith that the board will get the balance right however and have no great complaints about our business so far.
Yeah on paper I’m pleasantly surprised by our signings so far. Tillman could be the signing of the season (of course he could flop but I prefer to look pint half full). I think Souttar will surprise a lot on here and be in our team of the year. I would have liked to have had another keeper and left AM retire but it’s low down my priorities.

I think the difference this year is we have moved up from bosmans and £300k signings to now in the £1-2m range which certainly should improve overall quality. Or more excitement for me are the huge number of incredibly talented youngsters we are signing up for the academy. If only one or two of them live up to their hype then we have a great future ahead.

I would keep Roofe.
But only under the condition he goes and gets the same kind of career op that Ryan Jack got.

He may be out for most of the season, but it would be worth it, in the long run.
He has a penalty box striker's instinct.
Which is not always there with every striker.

Then if things didn't improve, we could at least sell him on.
And get a sell on fee.

As things stand, we will get very little, and he will continue to break down no matter which he is at.
May have to retire from the game, and that would be a real shame.In my book.

When it comes to instinct in the penalty box and knowing how to make that space to be there then Roofe is the best at that we've got at the club IMO and the reason that I'd like to see him get over the injuries and be kept, unfortunately getting over the injuries is the issue.

Ryan Jack after all his treatment & op hasn't become someone that we can fully rely on to have an injury free time with us. At 29 you'd have to ask if would be beneficial if Roofe was to go down that route & be out for 6 months or so & be any guarantees that he'd be back fully recovered and have a career that would relatively injury free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back