MOTM Poll Liverpool v Rangers - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sport

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Listen we are not the same team as last year but we need to realise the opposition. Arguably two teams that could make the final and Ajax who could go very far. Ajax just lost by 5 goals at home ffs.

This nonsense about not trying is just that. We played a system with the intent on Tillman holding the ball as he certainly doesn't have the pace to get in behind. We are never going to have ball control against Liverpool.

It was the wrong team and we got lucky on occasion but they won with 2 dead ball situations. The intent was to keep it tight and try and nick something at the end. It wasn't a million miles off that.

Hopefully we go at it next week with the crowd behind us and we give one of the fast players a go to infiltrate the space.

They are arguably the best team in the world, maybe not on current form but over the last 5 years they've been in 3 Champions League finals. Anyone expecting us to do anything other than sit in and try and nick a goal is off their head.

Wrong starting line up again. Too late with subs again. On another night we get beat by 5 or 6.

The fact that we are playing Tillman on the right is an absolute disgrace, how many years? how many signings? and we still have a Midfielder playing as a winger.

On a more positive note if the manager actually decides to have a go next week then the last 10 minutes showed that we can get at their defence.

But I don't think he has it in him to even give it a try

Difficult one to assess. Score line flatters us greatly. We were there to keep the damage limited. Not one player looked like they believed otherwise. We look like a team willing to be given a lesson. That to me is unacceptable , but hey we have come a long way the last 10 years.

Or we could keep playing an out of form disinterested kent out left and trying to shoehorn players who are not right wingers onto the right wing

I'm not sakalas biggest fan... Or matondos but they showed more passion and ambition in their first few minutes on the pitch than kent or tillman.
Wasnt a dig Rino, was just emphasising how bad our squad is.

Tough night but much better teams than us will go there and come away with worse (I know not so much this season).

We didn't really do ourselves many favours though continually giving the ball away, we simply couldn't live with their pressing, or cope with their midfield and attack.

In isolation, it's not the worst but in the context of the group as it stands it's another bad result.

El Buff was woeful. Lots of half-arsed jogging around. Never got us "up the pitch" which is supposedly his strength in matches like these. Can see us getting bee-baw-babbity for the Buff,
I wonder how Alfie would have played with two wingers up with him.

Scared in attitude from the start. Provided zero fight and negative until it was gone …seen that before in 3 big away games this season - and easily predicted as soon as you seen the team selection. Right down to playing Tillman ineffectively out of position as at Parkhead.

The high-tempo pressing and aggressive fight seen under Gerrard/Beal is long gone - along with the triangular passing moves and fitness levels. We might not have won that game under the last regime - but at least we would have made a fight of the game and looked on some occasions pretty decent and composed.
You would think any half competent manager would see Tillman on the right isn’t going to work after games like Parkhead. Yet he does the same again. Clueless

We didn't make any game of it.

We were set up not to.
It won’t be a popular opinion but we are out our depth at this level. Ajax beaten 6-1 at home, Sporting beat 4-1. Plzen beaten 5-0

It could’ve been worse

Our manager has not given us a chance in the previous two away games due to going into them with a totally negative attitude. I don't accept the 'out of our depth' argument. If you set up the team the way GvB did in those two away games then you will not have a chance against anyone. What he needed tonight was to set the team up to compete with players who wanted to compete. He opted to surrender the midfield from the start and he keeps picking Tillman who is a player who is simply not up for a battle. I am not saying that the guy lacks ability, he just does not appear to have the heart for a fight and as far as I am concerned, when you play for the Rangers that is not acceptable. Both Jack and Arfield should have started that game tonight. I also keep seeing posters on here saying Sakala isn't good enough. I'll start that wee guy any day of the week before Tillman.

Money aside the qualifying to the Champions League was too soon for us. We are a Europa League side and would possibly compete with teams at that level. It’s great we are up with Europe’s best but unfortunately we are the whipping boys. Only hope is to finish above Ajax - and that’s still possible.

Losing 2-0 to a wonder goal, and a penalty, against the best team in the world (imo) isn’t the end of the world.

Admittedly, it could have been about 8-0.

Sakala & Matondo have looked good.

Feel the back three played relatively well, all things considered and McGregor obviously made save after save.

Sakala needs to play more domestically.
Best team in the world .. Haha come on

They aren't the best team in England

He was absolutely abysmal. Constantly caught out of position. I’m not sure he found a blue shirt all night? He hid under a rock all night.
I'll give credit where credits due and last season in Europe he was immense but he really needed to step up tonight and he failed. Should be the leader on the park.

Voted McGregor but with a special mention for Goldson.

Worst game from Lundstrum. Summed up most of the team with poor passing and being so slow and ponderous. The amount of times we were pushed around was unforgivable.

In hindsight we could have had the extra man in midfield instead of at the back.

Thank you Alan McGregor. They couldn’t score in open play.
Saved us from a real scudding.

Disappointed in the lack of belief from the manager and players. Every weakness we see in every game week in week out, magnified tonight.
If you play at a sloppy level in the SPFL, it will show itself at a higher level, and it did.
I think some of our players are simply not bright enough to play at this level, some of them not even at a lower level.
Shows up in decision making, woeful, and in lack of composure and/or dwelling too long on the ball and getting caught.
As usual, we made their press easy with slow, underhit passes often behind the man.
We can do better.

Kent was an empty jersey, Lundstram was like a man short all night.

We got away with it because McGregor was magnificent.
Pity McGregor wasn't like that last season in the 3-3 game last season v Ross County and other games eh, much as I love the guy. He isn't a long term solution.

Thankfully we have an excellent shot stopper in Alan McGreggor and so lost to a wonderful free kick and a penalty.
Playing three central defenders is understandable against a top side but that plus Lundstrum and Davo playing mainly defensively left us so short of options to carry the ball forward.
I still don’t feel as if we are playing with top intensity either which is baffling given the size of the game.

Hopefully we bring it to Ibrox next week and give ourselves a chance.

Ok they are better than us but rarely have I seen us give so many passes straight to the opposition or get turned over in possession with so little effort on their part. Didn't have to be like that.
You can say that about every Defeat this season. Players seem to be scared in the big games, or Gio’s tactics are wrong and the players struggle.

Again, the level of nonsense on this thread is off the chart. We are away against a team who are a million miles above us in every regard and who will be around at the end of this tournament, as they very often are.
We got outplayed because they are so much better than us it isn’t even funny.
We may have a chance or something at Ibrox, and let’s see if we can give it a go, but wtaf do you expect us to do? This is almost exactly what we knew would happen in terms of gameplay, if we get lucky they don’t score, if we don’t we lose by 6, end up was an average 2-0. Let’s move on.
No one was under the impression they aren't a much better team or expected a win, what you do expect is, a Rangers team being able to at least execute the fekking very basics of playing football. Liverpool weren't that great that made us unable to make 5 yard passes, pass and move round players, show desire, passion and commitment. What we are seeing is the the way the team is being moulded into playing a shite, timid, tiresome brand of football. We were the exact same against QOTS and Dundee utd and we are the same level above them as Liverpool are against us. A fast pacey team and we put our slowest 11 on the park. Shagger saved the blushes

I'm sorry to be negative folks but that performance is nowhere near what I expect from a Rangers side anywhere!

Going up against a Liverpool side who cant buy a clean sheet in the EPL Gio went with a back 5 an aging midfielder who cant cover the ground anymore and a holding midfielder in a midfield two. A number ten at right forward and a player who hasn't kicked his arse in almost a year at left forward. With Alfie through the middle.

His tactics and team selection were amateur level at best in fact some of Liverpool's play made us look like schoolboys with the amount of space and time they had on the ball. He set us up to sit off them and absorb their front players with nothing else from a tactical perspective for when we actually had the ball other than to go long to Kent or Tav. Hope isnt a strong enough basis to build a team performance around. Its all the more confusing when you see the two players come off the bench who may not offer a hell of a lot but at least they can hold the ball and/or develop other players into the game in Sakala and Matondo when they came on.

Beaten before a ball was even kicked. Sorry its no happening for me!

Listen we are not the same team as last year but we need to realise the opposition. Arguably two teams that could make the final and Ajax who could go very far. Ajax just lost by 5 goals at home ffs.

This nonsense about not trying is just that. We played a system with the intent on Tillman holding the ball as he certainly doesn't have the pace to get in behind. We are never going to have ball control against Liverpool.

It was the wrong team and we got lucky on occasion but they won with 2 dead ball situations. The intent was to keep it tight and try and nick something at the end. It wasn't a million miles off that.

Hopefully we go at it next week with the crowd behind us and we give one of the fast players a go to infiltrate the space.

They are arguably the best team in the world, maybe not on current form but over the last 5 years they've been in 3 Champions League finals. Anyone expecting us to do anything other than sit in and try and nick a goal is off their head.
We didn't keep it tight though. They played through us and McGregor made saves into double figures.

It's fine to say getting any sort of result tonight was a stretch, but to try and make excuses for how we performed just isn't on, in my opinion. The setup should have changed and the line up wasn't right. How many times are we going to see Tillman play on the right of midfield?

Not until Gio made the changes did it look like we'd nick anything.

Kent played like a man who’s future is elsewhere no effort no push no tracking back should be benched and made earn his place
I thought he played like a player back to where he came from and felt inferior so was trying to prove he deserved to make it at Liverpool, but tried to hard and that outside of the foot pass to Barisic that was over hit when keeping possession is more important than one players ego is a prime example of it. He p*ssed me off immensely, Rabbi came on and showed him how to run at his man and beat him and the subs deserve to start over the ones that they came on for imo.

Wrong starting line up again. Too late with subs again. On another night we get beat by 5 or 6.

The fact that we are playing Tillman on the right is an absolute disgrace, how many years? how many signings? and we still have a Midfielder playing as a winger.

On a more positive note if the manager actually decides to have a go next week then the last 10 minutes showed that we can get at their defence.

But I don't think he has it in him to even give it a try
Keep the zero !!!!!

Back