Philippe Clement Set To Be Announced As New Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i’m now reading this thread tell me that im a Shettleston for being pro Muscat?

This does read very similar to the transfer threads this summer, minds are made up that its the absolute best
thing and no other views shall be heard

Orange font tells you it's Clement so you can be pro whoever you want. You should go outside and roar MUUUSCAAAAAAT at passers by B-D

I think thats a little harsh, some of the stuff we’ve been served up over the years will genuinely be giving supporters health issues.

To give it up might do them wonders…
It's what you sign up for mate. You don't just 'chuck it' because we've been shite for a few years.

Do they get to come back when we start winning and everything is rosy again?

An absolute pathetic post from a so called Rangers supporter. We are one of the most successful clubs in the world and the good far outweighs the bad.

He’s more or less untested outside of Belgium.

As a player he only really played in Belgium. He tried British football as a player and lasted 12 games at Coventry when it didn’t work out and he moved back.

As a manager his only experience outside of Belgium is Monaco which wasn’t exactly a huge success. He’s worked with mostly Belgian or French players.

People will turn their nose up but I think it’s a legitimate concern that Scottish football, life in Glasgow is a shock to him. It’s also a concern to me whether or not a British based squad respond to him.

There are cultural differences that make it more difficult. It’s clement that needs to adapt, not the other way round. People may disagree with this but I honestly do think it’s a factor and a huge risk. I just don’t feel this would have been as big an issue with Muscat as an Australian there are more cultural similarities. Plus he knows the club, the league and Scottish football.

We have all seen how our media are with foreign managers, especially foreign Rangers managers. It’s shite but it’s a fact. They’ll be the usual tabloid backwater nonsense ripping the pish out of him if we have a real rocky spell which is likely with these players. He’ll need to deal with our media well, again something he’ll never have experienced before. Muscat will have been used to this his whole career.

Im also concerned that the board will be looking at the fact he’s worked with Dessers before and will know players like Raskin, Hagi, Matondo, Roofe etc and think he might be able to get them playing so would require less transfer money, which would be a massive mistake.

In terms of his football he’ll probably be more pragmatic than Muscat would have been but I’m just not sure that what we need.

Just my opinion. Obviously I hope he’s a huge success.
The concerns about Clement are obvious and you’ve detailed them very well.

However, these pale into major insignificance when compared to Muscat’s concerns.

As an aside, there will be concerns with anyone we can attract.

As a player he only really played in Belgium. He tried British football as a player and lasted 12 games at Coventry when it didn’t work out and he moved back.

As a manager his only experience outside of Belgium is Monaco which wasn’t exactly a huge success. He’s worked with mostly Belgian or French players.

People will turn their nose up but I think it’s a legitimate concern that Scottish football, life in Glasgow is a shock to him. It’s also a concern to me whether or not a British based squad respond to him.

There are cultural differences that make it more difficult. It’s clement that needs to adapt, not the other way round. People may disagree with this but I honestly do think it’s a factor and a huge risk. I just don’t feel this would have been as big an issue with Muscat as an Australian there are more cultural similarities. Plus he knows the club, the league and Scottish football.

We have all seen how our media are with foreign managers, especially foreign Rangers managers. It’s shite but it’s a fact. They’ll be the usual tabloid backwater nonsense ripping the pish out of him if we have a real rocky spell which is likely with these players. He’ll need to deal with our media well, again something he’ll never have experienced before. Muscat will have been used to this his whole career.

Im also concerned that the board will be looking at the fact he’s worked with Dessers before and will know players like Raskin, Hagi, Matondo, Roofe etc and think he might be able to get them playing so would require less transfer money, which would be a massive mistake.

In terms of his football he’ll probably be more pragmatic than Muscat would have been but I’m just not sure that’s what we need.

Would you not be worried about muscat considering most say he only plays 1 way at 100mph something that would not suit this group of players

In terms of his football he’ll probably be more pragmatic than Muscat would have been but I’m just not sure that’s what we need.

But out of the 2 candidates supposedly left you can say exactly the same or worse in fact about muscat managerial career.
Not sure if you would prefer muscat I’m just making the point.

The timeframe, the process, the shortlist, the decision, the non-leakage.

I have zero issues with the way Bisgrove and Bennett have conducted the whole thing. When you look back to some of the dramatic overreactions about Lampard and personal insults…
Can’t fault them here. Whoever they hire it feels like a “proper” process has been followed, instead of the “he’ll do” of the last 2 managers.

Being untested outside of Belgian football got him the job at one of the richest clubs in the World.

All I care about is a manager not obsessed with possession football

My worry is Clement will be that type
Every successful manager is obsessed with possession based football. But all possession based football isn’t the same. It’s all about what you do with the ball in possession

In terms of his football he’ll probably be more pragmatic than Muscat would have been but I’m just not sure that what we need.

Some fair points there and time will tell. However I'm not too bothered in general about most of them because they don't only apply to Clement.

The media one doesn't bother me, neither does the style of play - he seems to have an attacking style and has proven to be flexible tactically when required (442 and 433 used). The fact that he's more pragmatic and has experience in European football (CL level) is a plus for me. We saw how APs style didn't translate to European success, the quality of players mightn't have helped.

I think the fact he'll be working with players he knows from the Belgian league will assist us this season before he can get his own players in - still a lot to play for IMO. Dessers, Lammers, Matondo, Roofe have all played in Belgium have they not? Danilo come from a similar football culture in Holland too and he'll know him.

Also, you've got to hope that Clement will have assurances from the board about transfer spend. So again I'm not too worried that he's seen as the "cheap option".

The one that probably worries me slightly is the Scottish football factor - but TBH it applies to any manager coming into this backwater (even Muscat to a certain extent). There's no silver bullet unless you appoint McInnes but thats surely his only positive? We'll just need to see how he gets on.

Muscat had massive risks too and almost seemed like a lazy option given the obvious comparison with gravy veins. Also, the fact he's employed by the City Group and their obvious ties to Celtic might have complicated things, who knows.

We all have our concerns.
We all want the best candidate.
We can all do our Internet research.
But
In reality....all we have is opinions because we know the square route of nothing other than someone else's opinion.
We have no choice but to accept whoever is picked as our new gaffer and see how it goes.
They will.get my dull support

The concerns about Clement are obvious and you’ve detailed them very well.

However, these pale into major insignificance when compared to Muscat’s concerns.

As an aside, there will be concerns with anyone we can attract.

My honest feeling, and it’s just from the gut, is that Muscat could have more spectacularly gone either way.

Perhaps dismissed within three months or perhaps we ended up flying.

Clement possibly feels..”safer”?

Which I can understand appeals to some. It just feels less likely, again just from my gut, that he’d come in an revolutionise us.

It's what you sign up for mate. You don't just 'chuck it' because we've been shite for a few years.

An absolute pathetic post from a so called Rangers supporter. We are one of the most successful clubs in the world and the good far outweighs the bad.
Agree. Not trying to sound staunch but anybody that has the ability just to ditch rangers can't be a proper fan. There's times I've been sick to the back teeth with us aswell but how can you just switch that off. How can you just become able to not be obsessed with what the score etc, how can you just lose the emotion, of something that's been as important as a close family member your entire life, of something that's been in your blood, veins and brain for as far back as you can remember. It's like me saying my maw is annoying me and I'm just going to decide to stop loving her. It's impossible. :D

Knew some rubber nut would come out with the staunch patter. You must be happy with the shite being served up that last couple of seasons . Pathetic
What you going to do when you 'chuck it'? Throw your scarf onto the pitch as you leave?

As said, you won't be missed.

I've wanted Clement personally but you make valid points especially the cultural differences given we have so many British players in the squad. That and without a DOF and the structure behind the scenes not what it should be, he's got a helluva job on his hands.

That he's won with two different clubs in Europe and has more experience managerially in general gives me hope. His reputation for bleeding youth a positive also, and his ability to adapt for different teams.

I know he'll be aware of Dessers, Roofe, Matondo and Lammers but frankly if he can get them all fit and firing he'll be nothing short of a miracle worker in my eyes.

Said it before, but whoever we brought in is having to deal with the shitshow that Beale, Wilson, GVB and the board have created.

Ridiculous it's got so bad if we're being honest.

Knew some rubber nut would come out with the staunch patter. You must be happy with the shite being served up that last couple of seasons . Pathetic
He's not being "staunch" we're on here celebrating the new manager and you're on here talking about how you can just ditch your life long club if it doesn't work out. Surely you'd expect a backlash from that.

I've wanted Clement personally but you make valid points especially the cultural differences given we have so many British players in the squad. That and without a DOF and the structure behind the scenes not what it should be, he's got a helluva job on his hands.

That he's won with two different clubs in Europe and has more experience managerially in general gives me hope. His reputation for bleeding youth a positive also, and his ability to adapt for different teams.

I know he'll be aware of Dessers, Roofe, Matondo and Lammers but frankly if he can get them all fit and firing he'll be nothing short of a miracle worker in my eyes.

Said it before, but whoever we brought in is having to deal with the shitshow that Beale, Wilson, GVB and the board have created.

Ridiculous it's got so bad if we're being honest.
I don't really blame GIO for the squad we have tbh.

I don't really blame GIO for the squad we have tbh.
Whether we want to admit it or not, he publicly came out and said he agreed on the shite signings we made last summer.

Maybe less so than the others I'll give you that, but he's still guilty alright.

Good post and pretty much where I stand on it.

Whether we want to admit it or not, he publicly came out and said he agreed on the shite signings we made last summer.

Maybe less so than the others I'll give you that, but he's still guilty alright.
Fair enough mate but how much of an impact did he have on those signings was it not mostly Wilson?

He hasn't worked with Dessers before.

Dessers joined Genk a year after Clement went to Brugge.

Seeing from a few posters that players happy that if/when Clement is appointed rather than Muscat, they’ll getting it easier or that he won’t change much.

What is the actual reason for this opinion? Hopefully it’s not based on the comments from journalists saying he’s “quiet”.

The man management style that Clement has, has been praised especially dealing with difficult players such as Noa Lang, Thomas Buffel who played under Clement says he knows how to manage a dressing room and make players (whether young or experienced) take responsibility.

He has no previous relationships with this squad and unlike MB did at times base teams/tactics/trust etc on previous knowledge of working with players (league cup final last season), where the players will get it easier from him rather than Muscat in charge.

When he took over at Monaco he was asked about his approach he wants his team to have and replied: “We always have to adapt to the qualities of the players. But my philosophy has always been to have a dominant team, one that plays offensively, and with a lot of commitment.”.

Dominant, playing offensively and with a lot of commitment are some things that we have been complaining about not doing, and it’s what he believes in.

I would think that some of the questions fan media may ask of the new manager is around his playing style, footballing philosophy and what changes we can expect.
Posters spitting the dummy out cause they didn’t get who they wanted manufacturing reasons to complain and laying the foundations for a ‘telt yees’ the second we drop points anywhere.

At least that’s what I’m taking it to be.

See this whole "put it this way, the players will be delighted it's Clement" argument being put about, what exactly is the reasoning behind it ?

I can only think people see Muscat as being ‘hard’ and assume he’d have battered the players in a death match.

There's nothing wrong with this post but I think it highlights that despite going through this process for the 3rd time in 3 years there is an absolute chasm between the managers the fans think we can attract and the managers we can in fact attract.

Every person linked was quickly met with a massive list of flaws. Some like Parker, Lampard etc it was fair enough. The face of management has changed now and even some of the elite have had the sack at some point.

Then we have this promoting of McInnes which in my opinion was just a subconscious pining for Walter and folk saw him as the nearest alternative despite any comparison between those 2 being ludicrous.

We don't attract better in this day and age than a CV like Clements which is also no guarantee that he succeeds, it is just the way of it these days.

Fair enough mate but how much of an impact did he have on those signings was it not mostly Wilson?
I wouldn't know tbh mate, you'd need to speak to someone who has access to such knowledge inside the club. I'm just going on what GVB said publicly, coupled with comments a few posters and Rangers media outlets have made.

See this whole "put it this way, the players will be delighted it's Clement" argument being put about, what exactly is the reasoning behind it ?
Not sure. I listened to H&H’s “scouting” piece on Clement and then Scott Coyne’s (Belgian football expert) interview on SSN and got the impression Clement demands standards and while he develops good relationships with players he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

I will never chuck Rangers, never! The club is in my blood and I find it almost impossible to switch off.

Just making a point that sometimes you put health first and thats the only factor that might stop someone following, not me though.

Not sure. I listened to H&H’s “scouting” piece on Clement and then Scott Coyne’s (Belgian football expert) interview on SSN and got the impression Clement demands standards and while he develops good relationships with players he doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

I like the sound of that, one of the many reasons why Beale never worked out is he went from coaching this side to managing it and there’s a huge difference between the two.

I like the sound of that, one of the many reasons why Beale never worked out is he went from coaching this side to managing it and there’s a huge difference between the two.
Yeah, I agree. Whoever comes in has big decisions to make going forward with our senior players etc. I’m happy with Clement or Muscat but don’t get the impression Clement is any walkover like some seem to think.

It is laughable the stuff folk make up to suit their narrative.

There is no evidence to suggest Clement will be soft on those players in comparison to Muscat.

He will have knowledge on at least a handful of our squad (Roofe, Matondo, Dessers, Raskin). I am hopeful he will be able to work with Danilo & Lammers who have worked in a similar league before.

As for our “core” group of players, its shape up or ship out. These guys have had more chances than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back